As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ah! Another night of wine, women and [RPGs]!

DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
edited March 2010 in Critical Failures
Just between you and me I...think I had a little too much of the wine.

BUT THE WOMEN DIDN'T COMPLAIN.

*Ahem* Anyway.

Let us discuss all manner of tabletop RPGs (and paraphernalia) in this thread. What you play, new stuff you've heard, resources, minis, dungeon tiles, online-play clients, and so forth.

Maybe you're creating a system and you want to bounce ideas off the fine folks here. Maybe you're looking for something new to play. Or maybe you just want to bitch about the latest dumbass in your party/totally unfair DM you have to deal with.

Well? Hop to it.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I... I think that's the entire forum. Almost the entire forum. Isn't it?

Lucedes on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Well, yeah. Sort of. Those threads all have their own topics, though. This is much more broad spectrum.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    One-player Alchemical Exalted game, whoop.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    samurai6966samurai6966 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm kinda interested in hearing someone talk about Dr. Mr. Stark's Pokemon P&P game vs. Mine. I believe that his is kinda odd. The conversation in question is here. I'm just curious. Also, I hope that we can keep him from using my thread to get feedback for his game. I'm waiting to focus on my P&P game with that thread. (Now reread that without me sounding like I'm being a crybaby.)

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    (Now reread that without me sounding like I'm being a crybaby.)

but that is an impossible task

impossible

simonwolf on
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    simonwolf wrote: »
    (Now reread that without me sounding like I'm being a crybaby.)

but that is an impossible task

impossible

Seriously samurai, don't know anything?

Delmain on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    So creating a system is like a lot more work than I anticipated at first. It's like walking up a hill, expecting to reach the top any time, but every step you take brings more hill into view. And the incline is sharpening with my fatigue.

I asked this in AC, but what do you guys think bout a race of Cecaelia? The idea was originally brought up in the context of a D&D 3.5 player created monster-race. I was willing to accept that they could breathe air, but I'm not so sure how successful they'd be at overland travel.

Personally I think the idea of a multi-armed character is interesting, and it would provide some fairly decent spice, mechanically speaking.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Octopuses can get around on land well enough. I bet dehydration would be a problem.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm kinda interested in hearing someone talk about Dr. Mr. Stark's Pokemon P&P game vs. Mine. I believe that his is kinda odd. The conversation in question is here. I'm just curious. Also, I hope that we can keep him from using my thread to get feedback for his game. I'm waiting to focus on my P&P game with that thread. (Now reread that without me sounding like I'm being a crybaby.)

I read the thread, and I think he threadjacked you in an ill-mannered way. It started on shaky ground, and then simply got worse. Ugly and worse.

Lucedes on
  • Options
    samurai6966samurai6966 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Lucedes wrote: »

I read the thread, and I think he threadjacked you in an ill-mannered way. It started on shaky ground, and then simply got worse. Ugly and worse.

That's what I'm saying. He wants US to tell him what he should do for his game when the thread is about my game. If he post again, I'm going to politely tell him to fuck off.

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    If you've got a problem with the way someone in your thread is behaving, I'd suggest contacting a moderator. Telling him to fuck off is probably a bad idea.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    summerycleptsummeryclept Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Everytime I figure out what I want to run here on the forums, something else jumps out at me.

But I've got to say, Four Colors Al Fresco looks like the bee's knees. Roman pulp superheroes in an alternate Renaissance Italy.

Also looking good? These Oracle one-shot games: http://onesevendesign.com/. I'm digging ghost/echo and The Mustang, especially.

summeryclept on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    At the risk of looking incredibly transparent, I'm going to try to bounce a few ideas off of people here from time to time.

What has been your chief complaint with most systems you play? Or I guess your most common complaint? What about your favorite system?

I ask because I'm designing a system, and I've noted recently that my design approach essentially boils down to "find a problem, fix it in an interesting way."

Personally, I hate how slow combat flows in a typical game. I'd post what I have down so far here to rectify that, but it's still just a framework and I'm honestly not sure I feel comfortable sharing it at this stage of development.

That's probably stupid, but I'm kind of stupid that way.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Things that are good in combat: Stunts and Challenges from Iron Heroes
    Problems with this: Nobody ever uses stunts
    Solution: Combat based entirely on stunts?

This has actually been done before (in FUDGE? FATE? I always get those confused) but given that nobody has actually played either of those systems, nobody knows how well it works.

Other than that I'm running two D&D games. One 4e and one 3.5e. It is amazingly difficult to run two editions of one system at the same time. Both have a few lovely features and a few real ball-aches, but sadly, it's not possible to collect together the lovely bits (like putting minions in 3.5e).

And Ptolus, I remembered this setting recently. It's pretty great. A D&D setting that actually works with the rules. It's great. And it has guns. Everybody likes guns.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Has anyone ever seen a sub linear growth pattern in a tabletop game? I'm curious.

e: Also, on average, how many sessions do your campaigns usually last? I'm having some trouble deciding how severe my growth curve should actually be. My campaigns tend to die early because of dumb players.

ee: Not that the group dies, mind you. They just end up quitting because one of them wouldn't pass the cheetos or some dumb shit. Last time people quit it was because of an argument about ninjas. Seriously.

The player community out here is not exactly robust.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    By sub-linear, do you mean a reversed growth curve? Like, one that gets easier as you go along? It's a cool idea, I just don't know entirely how it would work. Maybe I'm misinterpreting you?

Lucedes on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I mean one that gets less significant as you go along. Like every point of strength means less and less as it gets higher and higher. A theoretical ceiling, if you will.

D&D uses a super-linear pattern with such things as their carrying capacity (beyond 20 strength, every ten points increases the load by an order of magnitude). At the same time, however (and I find this particularly curious) the modifiers and bonuses are true-linear - they increase at a steady increment, never deviating.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    With most systems the power level of each gained point increases, or increases by an order of magnitude with each set number of points.

I think you actually get sub-linear returns from a true-linear system - the improvement from carrying 20 pounds as a light load to carrying 40 pounds is immense, but the difference between carrying 300 pounds and carrying 320 pounds is almost insignificant. In that sense, each additional point nets you much less of an overall increase.

Which, of course, is why Strength is given an exponential curve - so that the sense-of-progress remains steady, rather than steadily decreasing.

I think one of the major hooks of an RPG is sense-of-progress; this is what makes an MMO work at all, in the absence of personal plot. This is why sub-linear returns aren't used: they're simply progressively less rewarding. A hard cap on advancement is greatly preferable to the endless, almost-but-not-quite pointless grind at the end of sub-linear returns.

Lucedes on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Hm. I never thought of it like that. Which is weird because it makes a staggering amount of sense. I'm going to try linear growth. See how it looks on paper.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Has anyone ever seen a sub linear growth pattern in a tabletop game? I'm curious.

e: Also, on average, how many sessions do your campaigns usually last? I'm having some trouble deciding how severe my growth curve should actually be. My campaigns tend to die early because of dumb players.

ee: Not that the group dies, mind you. They just end up quitting because one of them wouldn't pass the cheetos or some dumb shit. Last time people quit it was because of an argument about ninjas. Seriously.

The player community out here is not exactly robust.

Usually we had a long running series that went 2 for sessions, then noone would be able to play for 4 weeks, and then a new game would get started with someone else dm'ing a new game, and repeat this about 4-5 times. Now were just stubborn and played maybe into almost 4th level on a campaign from october-dec, and just starting back up this last saturday. the other campaign we play on offweeks has become the same, and were on maybe our 4-6th night playing over the past 4-5 months. We are all pretty close friends so I dont think we would break up based on arguements on something, I think we would settle and just remain pissed off about the decision, bottling it up until it explodes in nerdy fists of fury one day.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Are we talking about the upcoming Dresden Files RPG in CF at all? Because we should be.

You know, now that they have a release date and all that shit.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Are we talking about the upcoming Dresden Files RPG in CF at all? Because we should be.

You know, now that they have a release date and all that shit.

I feel like I should know what this is.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on