As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Magic Schedule for Pax!

Tom SheaTom Shea Registered User regular
edited March 2010 in PAX Archive
Hello everyone! My name is Tom Shea. I am the organizer of the magic events at Pax for Wizards of the Coast. We have a very diverse schedule. Please keep in mind that we are willing to run any format you can bring us 8 players for! We are really looking forward to this event. For more information please feel free to contact me at tjcollect@aol.com
see you there
Tom

Magic: The Gathering
PAX East 2010
Weekend-Long Public Events

Magic Intro Pack League
Register once and play all weekend! Players will receive a Worldwake Intro Pack from which to build their decks. Players will play against other league members all weekend and win at least 3 Magic cards after every third match completed!

Single-Elimination Events
Booster Draft events will be run using Zendikar and Worldwake boosters.
Format Cost Minimum Players Prizes*
Booster Draft $15 8 1st: 4 Boosters, 2nd 3 Boosters, 3rd & 4th: 2 Boosters
Standard $5 8 1st: 4 Boosters, 2nd 3 Boosters, 3rd & 4th: 2 Boosters

Scheduled Public Events
Registration opens 1/2 hour before the scheduled start time.

Friday, March 26
Time Cost Description
2:30 PM $25 Casual Sealed Deck – Zendikar Block Sealed Deck
3 Zendikar and 3 Worldwake boosters per player
Players will play 4 Swiss rounds, 30 minutes per round.
Players start at 30 life and play only 1 game per match!
Booster packs will be awarded to top finishers, with everyone playing winning a prize!

4:00 PM $10 Minimaster!
Single Elimination
Each player will receive 1 Zendikar and 1 Worldwake booster plus basic land to build a 40-card deck. After each round, surviving players will receive an additional booster pack to add to their card pool and improve their deck. Last man standing wins!
1st place receives a complete set of FOIL Worldwake cards, 2nd place receives a regular set of Worldwake cards!

6:00 PM $30 Super Friday Night Magic – Zendikar Block Sealed Deck
Swiss tournament (4 rounds)
Participation Prize – All players each receive 1 March 2010 FNM promo card.
Prizes are based solely on points after 4 Swiss rounds, FNM card choices are limited to one choice of each type available (no duplicates)
12pts receives 4 FNM promo cards & 4 Worldwake Boosters.
9-11pts receives 2 FNM promo cards & 2 Worldwake Boosters.
6-8pts receives 1 FNM promo cards & 1 Worldwake Booster.
7:00 PM $5 EDH Tournament
Bring your EDH deck and get ready for the battle of the generals!
Players will play at tables of 4. Win 2 booster packs for each player you eliminate!

Saturday, March 27
Time Cost Description
10:30 AM $25.00 Casual Sealed Deck- Zendikar Block Sealed Deck
Booster packs will be awarded to top finishers, with everyone playing winning a prize!

12:00 PM $15 Standard Constructed
Swiss rounds based on attendance.
1st place receives an xBox 360 Elite Gaming System with booster pack prizes to other top finishers!

1:00 PM $10 Minimaster!
Single Elimination
Each player will receive 1 Zendikar and 1 Worldwake booster plus basic land to build a 40-card deck. After each round, surviving players will receive an additional booster pack to add to their card pool and improve their deck. Last man standing wins!
1st place receives a complete set of FOIL Worldwake cards, 2nd place receives a regular set of Worldwake cards!

2:00 PM $10 Grand Melee - Standard Constructed
Grand Melee style – everyone plays in the same game! Attack to your left, defend to your right! Receive a Worldwake booster for each player you eliminate. The last player standing will receive an 8gb iPod Touch!

4:00 PM $15 Standard Constructed
1st place receives an 8gb iPod Nano! 2nd place receives a From The Vault: Exiled Box Set! Booster pack prizes will be awarded to other top finishers!

5:00 PM $10 Minimaster!
Single Elimination

7:00 PM $5 EDH Tournament
Players will play at tables of 4. Win 2 booster packs for each player you eliminate!

7:00 PM $20/Team Team Minimaster!
Each 2-person team will receive 2 Zendikar and 2 Worldwake booster plus basic land to build two 40-card decks. After each round, surviving teams will receive two additional booster packs to add to their card pool and improve their decks. Last team standing wins!
1st place team members each receive an 8gb iPod Nano, 2nd place team members each receive an uncut, foil Worldwake card sheet!

Sunday, March 28
Time Cost Description
10:30 AM $10 Minimaster!
Single Elimination

11:30 AM $15 Standard Constructed
1st place receives an xBox 360 Elite Gaming System with booster pack prizes to other top finishers!

12:00 PM $25 Casual Sealed Deck – Zendikar Block Sealed Deck

2:30 PM $20/Team Team Minimaster!
Each 2-person team will receive 2 Zendikar and 2 Worldwake booster plus basic land to build two 40-card decks. After each round, surviving teams will receive two additional booster packs to add to their card pool and improve their decks. Last team standing wins!
1st place team members each receive an 8gb iPod Nano, 2nd place team members each receive an uncut, foil Worldwake card sheet!

3:00 PM $5 EDH Tournament

Our schedule includes Standard events for Ipods and X-Boxes!

We are running many events that are casual in nature such as EDH which is a multiplayer format run with no more than 4 players, knock out a player and recieve 2 booster packs and casual magic sealed deck where everyone will recieve a prize.

We are very excited about the new format MINI MASTER which is a continous build format that is single elimination until we have 1 winner. Players still in the tournament will an recieve additional pack of Zendikar or Worldwake each round to improve their deck.

I look forward to seeing everyone at PAX! We will have a great time enjoying our favorite games!

Tom Shea

Tom Shea on

• mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Hi Tom! That's a mighty large first post. May I humbly suggest that you insert each day's content inside a spolier tag (yellow exclamation point icon)?

Here's an example:
    Friday, March 26
    Each day's content goes here.

Thanks for posting this btw!

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • Tom SheaTom Shea Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Thank you for the advice. I didn't know that tool exhisted. Please drop by and say hello!

Tom

Tom Shea on
  • EkkosangenEkkosangen Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm looking forward to trying out minimaster, maybe checking out some of the other events. My Kor-themed deck isn't quite up to where I want it yet, but I might bring it anyway and try it out in a constructed tournament.

Ekkosangen on
    eG6Oz.jpg
    <+Arco> You can totally bone with a baby in there. If you bump up against something, just apologize to the little dude and adjust.
  • benswimmingbenswimming PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I havn't played magic in about hmm 7 years.... My decks will be pointless, but ill try out the booster tournys!

benswimming on
    PAX EAST 2011 Omeganaut
    Twitter: sweeneyben
    XBL: Disco Ball
  • itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    It's been so long since I've touched a magic deck I think I may go for the Intro Pack league since the only deck I have I'm not even sure it's Type 1 (is that even what it's still called these days) legal!

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
    edited February 2010
    Hello everyone

A couple of good rescources for you on magic what's legal and what isn't would be wizards lists of legal formats: http://www.wizards.com/Magic/TCG/Resources.aspx?x=judge/resources/banned

Then there is alot of information on the web about EDH. Elder Dragon Highlander. This format is multiplayer. You choose a general who just keeps coming back even if your opponet does him or her in. http://www.edhcentral.com/

There are a few decklists on the edh site as well. The strenght of edh is that your old cards can be played. We wanted that to be a big part of pax. You can bring your older cards and still be able to play with them.

Don't get me wrong though. I love sealed and booster drafts. We will be doing lots of those.

Tom

Tom Shea on
  • atiariatiari Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    How exactly is the weekend long league format going to work? Do players have to meet with a coordinator to setup a game, then go back and report the results to track how many matches are played? Will they be available after the show floor closes, and only the gaming areas and concert are running?

atiari on
    edited February 2010
    There will be an area marked open play area. There players will play one another, fill out a card, bring the card up to the admin area to redeem for prize. The Gaming area will be open until around midnight Friday, Saturday and until 5:00 ish on Sunday. Open play is fun play! We are looking forward to seeing lots of people playing the Intro Pack League.

Tom Shea on
    edited February 2010
    Sounds good Tom, thanks :)

atiari on
  • itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The Intro Pack League sounds fun, can't wait to give it a try!

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This is fantastic, thanks Tom! I'm looking forward to playing a bit of Magic! I've got to remember to make time for it! =)=)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • AhkhiraAhkhira Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Glad to see you've posted this, Tom. I was going to call you and ask if it was okay if I could post, but you beat me to it! Counting the days...

Jen

Ahkhira on
    Find me at the Magic: The Gathering events!
  • GHoooSTSGHoooSTS Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This sounds awesome as I'm a huge EDH fiend. I will probably be signing up for both games to ensure I get my dose of losses in a foreign country by people who know what they're doing.

GHoooSTS on
    edited February 2010
    Who's your general? Mine is Pheldagriff.

Ahkhira on
  • spyriousspyrious Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Tom,

Is there going to be anyone from the Magic side of Wizards there? I saw that there was going to be a panel with Mike Turian hosting and it got me curious if anyone else would be there to meet or gunsling.

spyrious on
    edited February 2010
    Will there be anyone there from Wizards? Yes. They will be making more formal announcements as we get closer that is all I can say on that.

This is going to be a very exciting event. We really want our players to have a great time playing.

Tom Shea

Tom Shea on
    edited February 2010
    Hello everyone. Judge certification will also be availible at PAX East. We have Adam Shaw who is a level 3 judge set up for the weekend to certify, mentor and help judge canidates.

Please feel free to contact me to work out the details.

Tom Shea

Tom Shea on
    edited February 2010
    Ahkhira wrote: »
    Who's your general? Mine is Pheldagriff.

Intet the Dreamer, Brion Stoutarm, or Chainer depending on the day. I play Intet the most though.

GHoooSTS on
  • DeefuzzDeefuzz Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Are any of these events geared towards beginners? The Intro Pack League thing doesn't exactly sound like it is specifically for beginners, just an intro to WorldWake.

I've played Magic once, but don't feel I could do well without someone sort of guiding me through the rules as I play. Will any of these events support noobs in this way?

Deefuzz on
    [ Web: Twitter | Blog ]
    [ XBL: NemesisFuzz | PSN: Deefuzz ]
  • spyriousspyrious Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Deefuzz wrote: »
    Are any of these events geared towards beginners? The Intro Pack League thing doesn't exactly sound like it is specifically for beginners, just an intro to WorldWake.

I've played Magic once, but don't feel I could do well without someone sort of guiding me through the rules as I play. Will any of these events support noobs in this way?

Wizards and most semi-competitive/competitive Magic players are usually pretty good about helping people learn how to play. That's one reason they have different Rules Enforcement Levels at different events. The Rules enforcement at a casual event, like a set pre-release, is really lenient to help new players or people returning to the game. I'm sure that if you have a question, there will be plenty of judges and players willing to help out.

spyrious on
  • james1221james1221 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    i'm definitly interested in playing, but much like everyone else i kind of don't know what the game types are anymore, and the last time i purchased a card was back in urza,legacy,destiny days. Not sure what i would be in for.

james1221 on
    edited March 2010
    To Everyone who has lost touch with Magic:

Fear not! Someone will assuredly be there to give demos and walk you through the basics. Some tournaments will be more casual than others. There will be cards available for purchase, or just bring your favorite old deck and have some fun. Yes, the game has changed over the years, but it's even more fun than it was back in the day. There will be DCI Judges there to answer your questions all day. If you do decide to jump into a tournament and you get lost or don't know how something works, raise your hand and call "Judge!!!!" and someone will come to assist you. If you go to the website www.magicthegathering.com, you will find a wealth of information at your fingertips. Hope to see you all there! I can also try to answer Magic-relataded questions in this thread.

Ahkhira on
    edited March 2010
    I remember at PAX 08 the WotC booth had a person there purely to demo the game for people (and was giving out rewards for playing the demo too). It would be hard to imagine them not doing that again. Great way to get reacquainted with the rules.

atiari on
    edited March 2010
    We will have dedicated demo people. The casual magic sealed deck is being run for newer players. Everyone plays 4 thirty minute rounds of swiss. One game rounds where the life totals start at 30. Everyone will recieve a prize. It doesn't get much more new player friendly than that. Sealed deck ensures that you don't have to have any cards or prepare for the event in any way. We are running multiples of the Casual Magics.

Stop bye and say hello

Tom Shea

Tom Shea on
  • Loser4NowLoser4Now Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Having recently started playing the 360 Arcade game, I've started feeling the old familiar itch. I caught myself going to a comic book store, just to see. And now THIS? Come on guys, I kicked the habit.

[ponders the location of thousands of Magic cards and a DCI membership]

Must ... resist ... urge .... to TCG.

[edit]

Yeah... looking at card lists for Zendikar and Worldwake. I'm so screwed.

Loser4Now on
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Maybe I'm misreading something - but what are the costs to register for the Intro Pack league? Sounds like a ton of fun - I may do one of the casual tourneys too but the ideal of stopping by occassionally and playing in the intro league sounds really fun.

Lindsay Lohan on
    edited March 2010
    The intro league costs $15.00. You recieve at random an intro deck and a booster pack. Then you play and recieve cards after each 3rd match. The best part is the flexibility you have when playing opponets. Simply find someone who isn't playing at any time.

Tom

Tom Shea on
  • DeefuzzDeefuzz Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Thanks for the encouragement all, and the extra info Tom. I will definitely be attending one of the casual sealed deck events for my second time ever playing Magic. I look forward to learning it a little better and hopefully come away with some good cards and a cool prize!

Deefuzz on
    [ Web: Twitter | Blog ]
    [ XBL: NemesisFuzz | PSN: Deefuzz ]
  • XirycXiryc Middleburg Hts, OHRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'll be bringing my Progenitus EDH deck with my

Xiryc on
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'll do the intro league and one of the casual tourneys. Gonna be a great weekend - I haven't played in 8 years or so. I'm practicing on the 360 and online games.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Cool, the intro league does sound pretty fun. I'll probably try to do a casual tourney too. Man, I've already gotten sucked back into the game by dropping some money on the new sets to get a worthwhile deck going. Gonna be so much fun!

Geod on
    edited March 2010
    Xiryc wrote: »
    My purple hippo and I await you.

Ahkhira on
    edited March 2010
    Many players believe that EDH is the new casual format. It is a very social multi player format. We have designed many of the events to be fast paced with by tournament standards short total time to complete. Think about it a sealed deck tourney that is done in under 3 hours. We want everyone to play as much or as little Magic as they would like at PAX.

stop by and say hello

Tom Shea

Tom Shea on
  • Loser4NowLoser4Now Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Any recommendations of sites for meta - game analysis or breakdowns of current Regional / Pro Tour tournaments?

[edit]

Found it.

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/td/79

Loser4Now on
  • MALACHEMALACHE Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Tom ,

(Can I call you Tom??) .... Some friends and I have been working on a multiplayer variant, and if you have the time I would like to give you the rules that we came up with just to get your oppinion when you have the chance. (I understand that during PAX is probably a busy time for you...lol) Would this be ok?

MALACHE on
    edited March 2010
    Call me later Friday afternoon. I will be at TJ Collectibles. Would be glad to hear about your variant. You are correct about Pax being a hard place to try something new. We could try it at TJ's to see how it runs. I do know that EDH is something that is very popular. We are open minded though.

hope to hear from you soon

Tom

508 473 5874, phone number TJ Collectibles

Tom Shea on
    edited March 2010
    Ahkhira wrote: »
    Xiryc wrote: »
    My purple hippo and I await you.

then we will have a violence fight of cardboard and counters, may the fattest creatures win

GHoooSTS on
    edited March 2010
    Where are all of those Twilight fans? Vampires are back people! There are lots of really good ones too. Vampire Nighthawk is my favorite card right now. He costs 1BB to cast and is a 2.3 flyer who has deaththouch and lifelink. Vampire Nocturnus gives all vampires a +2/1 bonus if there is a black card on top of your library. Then there are other really cool vamps to play with. Why hasn't someone created an edh deck with Nocturnus as their general? Come to think of it why haven't I?

Stop by and say hello

Tom Shea
    Magic host for Wizards at PAX

Tom Shea on
  • FoamBrainFoamBrain Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Tom Shea wrote: »
    Why hasn't someone created an edh deck with Nocturnus as their general? Come to think of it why haven't I?

Stop by and say hello

Tom Shea
    Magic host for Wizards at PAX

Vampire Nocturnus is sadly not a legend :) Which makes him a lot better for many purposes, but not this one.

FoamBrain on
    edited March 2010
    Now you can see that I don't normally play edh. Who would my vampire "general" be?

please tell me so I can build it.

Tom

Tom Shea on
This discussion has been closed.