As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Grumpy Old Men, Get your [Grump] On.

• Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    LeCaustic wrote: »
    Houn wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    What is this video thing I just watched? I am not up on your televisionanet culture, and I am just confused.

It's a US pilot of yet another remake of a British comedy. This one: Spaced (the original was by 'Shaun of the Dead' and 'Hot Fuzz' director Edgar Wright, starring Simon Pegg, Jessica Stevenson and Nick Frost.)

The original was very very good. This... is not.

New grump: potholes. When the hell is the city gonna fix the streets? The only way I can make it bearable is if I pretend it's a video game and every pothole I miss without swerving into the other lane is worth points.

You get bonus points if you can change lanes without hitting the little reflectors.

In a rather humerous connection. My city had this huge/deep pothole and you know what they did? THey put one of those orange barrels in it....That was funny. Annoying and makes you ask why they didn't cover it up...

I agree, potholes are annoying. Especially when they're so deep they blow a hole in your tire.

Oh my God. Do you live in Kansas City? Are you talking about the giant pothole on Troost?

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    japan wrote: »
    Man, self checkouts kick ass.

Freedom from the plague of upselling and having people try to talk you into loyalty cards.

Jesus fuck, loyalty cards.

Is there any fucking place now that doesn't have them? Gas stations, book stores, the fucking pet store even.

Jesus, I go there to buy processed food pellets and cheap crap on strings. For my fucking cats. I love my cats and all, but why the fuck is buying cat food anything more than a 1-step transaction.

Oh god, speaking of which, time for a new grump.

Coupons. I mean get the idea, variable pricing and all, but how many fucking times have you seen this scenario play out:

Customer: durr hurr here's mah coupons
    Cashier: The coupon is for the 15 oz tomato cans and you bought a bunch of 8 oz cans.
    Customer: (either stunned confusion or spontaneous anger)
    Cashier: Read the goddamn coupon next time
    Customer: Just take the fucking coupon
    Cashier: No
    Customer: Whelp, hold on while I walk back through the fucking store to get the other kind of tomatoes
    Me: (Still waiting)
    Customer: Okay, back, no where did I put all those 8 oz cans?
    Cashier: (scan, scan, scan). Okay, congratulations. You saved 35 cents today!

I know it's probably stupid/lazy of me to say, but some coupons are really NOT worth the effort.

Coupons are worth it if A) you can read, B) you were going to buy that item anyway, and C) the store does the coupon-doubling thing. Otherwise they just push you to buy stuff you didn't really need, or take the name-brand stuff when the store-brand is just as good.

KalTorak on
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

Freedom from the plague of upselling and having people try to talk you into loyalty cards.

I actually like going through a cashier. It sort of justifies their position and their wages. I mean, if we all just stopped paying for people to work, where would they work? Wouldn't they just drag down the system? Those kids need a job too, or that person needs that second-shift job for extra money.

Also, human interaction is good.

But loyalty cards can DIAF.
    There's a gas station near me that changes their loyalty club stuff every couple of months. One month it was a key chain that you waved over a pad on the pump. Next month they start talking about getting a card. Isn't it funny that they said to get the keychain waving thing so you don't have to carry around another card, and then you stop supporting it. I think now we're onto license plate and car recognition, to make it more convenient and make cards and keychains completely obsolete..... Make up your minds, damn you!

L Ron Howard on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm sort of "meh" on the human interaction score. I rarely enter a supermarket to buy more than two or three items at a time, there isn't a lot of interaction to be had in the available time (assuming I go to a cashier instead of a self-checkout, which is also increasingly rare these days).

japan on
  • krushkrush Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

I actually like going through a cashier. It sort of justifies their position and their wages. I mean, if we all just stopped paying for people to work, where would they work? Wouldn't they just drag down the system? Those kids need a job too, or that person needs that second-shift job for extra money.

Also, human interaction is good.

But loyalty cards can DIAF.
    There's a gas station near me that changes their loyalty club stuff every couple of months. One month it was a key chain that you waved over a pad on the pump. Next month they start talking about getting a card. Isn't it funny that they said to get the keychain waving thing so you don't have to carry around another card, and then you stop supporting it. I think now we're onto license plate and car recognition, to make it more convenient and make cards and keychains completely obsolete..... Make up your minds, damn you!

I'm trying to remember which company did that near me some years ago...

Anywho, yeah, they stopped supporting the keyfob and pissed off a bunch of people in the process.

krush on
  • CristoCristo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

I agree, potholes are annoying. Especially when they're so deep they blow a hole in your tire.

Oh my God. Do you live in Kansas City? Are you talking about the giant pothole on Troost?[/QUOTE]

Totally off topic, but I'm going to Lawrence, KA for 4 month this sumer. What's it like?!?!

(I'll be studying at KU as an exchange student)

Edit: Sorry for going off topic, but I couldn't resist.

Grump:

16 year old girls. On the internet. Facespace/MyBook, drama, pink, twilight.

Eurgh.

Cristo on
  • The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I think I'm to young to Grump but what ever.

Co-workers: You are all still in high school. We work at a grocery store that is the easier shit ever. You all walk around with your dicks in your hands basically hanging out with your friends. Don't bitch to me when we get out late. I don't give a rats ass when we get out and more often then not I usually either end up doing all of the work or none of it depending on the day (and how stupid they're being. Look I don't mind getting paid a extra 9.75 because none of you were working.) Stop treating the customers who don't deserve it like shit, stop complaining about the ridiculously easy job you have. Stop complaining that you can't eat damaged shit. Thats stealing you idiots and you aren't entitled to anything at this job. If I had a choice I would fire you all and hire the college kids who need the money so they can stay in school. Not so you can spend your weekly paychecks on drugs and alcohol.

I'm very grumpy at my self since my motivation in school has plumetted. At this rate I may only get 3.5 credits out of 5 which means I basically wasted 2000$ dollars and there is no one to blame but my self and I know this and it pisses me off. Hopefully I can move out in the summer (I hate this living at home business money be damned) and go part time to make up the credits then go full time when I get monies again.

I'm also very grumpy at bad drivers. Please signal. Please don't use the right turn lane as a straight lane I almost hit one of you fuckers because I was in the right lane waiting for someone to make a left and you decided that you were all high and mighty that you could take the right turn lane swerve back in time. Fuck you.

I'm going to be a very grumpy old person.

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Cristo wrote: »

Oh my God. Do you live in Kansas City? Are you talking about the giant pothole on Troost?
    Totally off topic, but I'm going to Lawrence, KA for 4 month this sumer. What's it like?!?!
    During the summer? Really, really hot in July and August. Pretty deserted with most of the students gone. Lots of roads closed for construction. You'll still have fun, though.

Pi-r8 on
  • CristoCristo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Pi-r8 wrote: »

During the summer? Really, really hot in July and August. Pretty deserted with most of the students gone. Lots of roads closed for construction. You'll still have fun, though.

From August until November :))

Cristo on
  • GrudgeGrudge blessed is the mind too small for doubtRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    People who absolutely has to smoke that cigarrette while waiting for the bus, and then sits down on the seat next to mine, smelling like a full, wet ashtray. I'm going to bring a can of Glade to spray you right in your silly eyes next time you do that.

Also you people who, when getting off the bus just takes one step outside the doors, and then pauses there to light a new cigarrette. Get the FUCK out of my way, smokey. This goes for the escalators coming up from the subway too.

Grudge on
  • MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Grudge wrote: »
    People who absolutely has to smoke that cigarrette while waiting for the bus, and then sits down on the seat next to mine, smelling like a full, wet ashtray. I'm going to bring a can of Glade to spray you right in your silly eyes next time you do that.

Also you people who, when getting off the bus just takes one step outside the doors, and then pauses there to light a new cigarrette. Get the FUCK out of my way, smokey. This goes for the escalators coming up from the subway too.

This also goes for old ladies with way to much rancid perfume on them, or men with aftershave. Or people that eats raw garlic for breakfast.

New Grump:
    There a dude at work who must eat an astounding amount of garlic, like everyday. He probably oozes that stuff now because his clothes smell real nasty and when I pass him in the corridors I always find myself holding my breath. It's like old, stale garlic-funk.

This is not ok, wash your clothes, yourself, your teeth and for god's sake eat less garlic man!

Movitz on
  • RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Lawrence is Hippie Central for Kansas.

Which, I also have a grump with. Hippies and white people with dreds.

RocketSauce on
  • JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Lawrence is Hippie Central for Kansas.

Which, I also have a grump with. Hippies and white people with dreds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5EHy91jPQo

Johannen on
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    Movitz wrote: »

This also goes for old ladies with way to much rancid perfume on them, or men with aftershave. Or people that eats raw garlic for breakfast.

New Grump:
    There a dude at work who must eat an astounding amount of garlic, like everyday. He probably oozes that stuff now because his clothes smell real nasty and when I pass him in the corridors I always find myself holding my breath. It's like old, stale garlic-funk.

This is not ok, wash your clothes, yourself, your teeth and for god's sake eat less garlic man!

Except the smoke smell can give you cancer.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • LeCausticLeCaustic Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    New grump;

Hollister

How much fucking cologne does that store spray/put into its ventilation ducts?! I have to fucking hold my breath walking BY the store.

LeCaustic on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    kaustikos.png
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    New grump;

Hollister

How much fucking cologne does that store spray/put into its ventilation ducts?! I have to fucking hold my breath walking BY the store.
    Speaking of... I really dislike how I can't walk into a clothing store (that's not something like Eddie Bauer) now-a-days without having my fucking eardrums blown off by whatever horrible techo-pop insanity is in this month.

Seriously, I just want to buy some nice looking jeans. I don't want to go fucking clubbing while I pick my clothing out.

iTunesIsEvil on
    edited March 2010
    New grump;

Hollister

Speaking of... I really dislike how I can't walk into a clothing store (that's not something like Eddie Bauer) now-a-days without having my fucking eardrums blown off by whatever horrible techo-pop insanity is in this month.

Seriously, I just want to buy some nice looking jeans. I don't want to go fucking clubbing while I pick my clothing out.

That also. I can't wait until I can afford Brooks Brothers and have a reason to wear their clothes. Minus the pretentious attitude some of the people there have, I've never had a better shopping experience.

LeCaustic on
    kaustikos.png
  • MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Scalfin wrote: »

New Grump:

You think that smoke smell from someones breath will give you cancer? o_O

Movitz on
    edited March 2010
    Scalfin wrote: »

New Grump:

You think that smoke smell from someones breath will give you cancer? o_O

That garlic breath is cancerous!

LeCaustic on
    kaustikos.png
  • Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    New grump;

Hollister

I don't know if it was Hollister or Abercrombie and Finch, but one (or both) of those places literally don't have lights. It's cramped, smelly, noisy and dark. I was there once, and never again.

Andrew_Jay on
    edited March 2010
    It's both of them. I was at the mall a few weeks ago (Circle Centre, Indianapolis), and those two shops are right next to each other. It's was like a black hole of smug/stupid/overpriced/loud/smelly. Hollister seems more packed with tables/racks/etc so that there's no room to move, but it's just as fucking loud and over-scented with cologne/perfume as A&F.

iTunesIsEvil on
    edited March 2010

next time, say "HEY JUNKIE!!! GTF outta my way and get yer fix somewhere else!!!"

krush on
  • FiziksFiziks Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ugg boots. God, I hate them. When I see the holy trinity of fake tan, tights, and ugg boots my blood fucking curdles.

Because I go to school in Long Island, I see this multiple times on a daily basis. Grump.

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
    edited March 2010
    Skinny jeans

RocketSauce on
    edited March 2010
    Skinny jeans

even worse: Sagging skinny jeans.

krush on
    edited March 2010
    Fiziks wrote: »
    Ugg boots. God, I hate them. When I see the holy trinity of fake tan, tights, and ugg boots my blood fucking curdles.

Because I go to school in Long Island, I see this multiple times on a daily basis. Grump.

The "Kansas City Casual" fashion trend for women is ugg boots, jeans, t-shirt, North Face fleece jacket, hair up, and too much makeup.

It makes me want to punch things.

Evil_Reaver on
  • BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Yes, ugg boots. Hey ugg boots, thanks for nearly destroying the image of how attractive a woman can look in a nice pair of boots. Now everyone looks like they're planning a damn day trip to the moon. Your boots also cut off about mid-calf and have no real heel to speak of so you make the woman's leg look much shorter than it actually is. This is not a flattering look.

Bolthorn on
    edited March 2010
    Everytime I see a woman in Ugg boots, I immediately think they're trying to look like Mega Man.

krush on
    edited March 2010

The "Kansas City Casual" fashion trend for women is ugg boots, jeans, t-shirt, North Face fleece jacket, hair up, and too much makeup.

YES

What the fuck is up with the North Face jackets? I used to see all of the frat/sorority bitches wearing them on campus, now it's spreading like a virus.

RocketSauce on
    edited March 2010

YES

What the fuck is up with the North Face jackets? I used to see all of the frat/sorority bitches wearing them on campus, now it's spreading like a virus.

It really pisses me off because I own a lot of North Face gear because I actually go backpacking. In the mountains. Every year. I'll throw on my jacket because it's quality shit, but really, all these kids buying camping equipment because it looks cool is fucking ridiculous.

Evil_Reaver on
    edited March 2010

YES

It really pisses me off because I own a lot of North Face gear because I actually go backpacking. In the mountains. Every year. I'll throw on my jacket because it's quality shit, but really, all these kids buying camping equipment because it looks cool is fucking ridiculous.

We should organize a KC PA camping outing.

On topic - North Face makes good stuff, but pricey. I think that's why the 18-26 year old spoiled brats have dug their claws into it, because they know not very many people are going to blow $100 on a fleece jacket, thus keeping their exclusive little club.

RocketSauce on
    edited March 2010

YES

We should organize a KC PA camping outing.

On topic - North Face makes good stuff, but pricey. I think that's why the 18-26 year old spoiled brats have dug their claws into it, because they know not very many people are going to blow $100 on a fleece jacket, thus keeping their exclusive little club.

Their exclusive little club being EVERYONE IN JOHNSON COUNTY BETWEEN THE AGES OF 16-26.

I nominate you to organize the Second Annual KC PA Activity since I did the first one and only like 5 people showed up.

Evil_Reaver on
  • HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Seconding the Uggs boots thing, especially in the summertime with shorts.

Also, guys wearing skinny girl jeans.

And vintage clothing.

With long hair

Ok I just hate hipsters/scensters in general.

Havelock on
    edited March 2010
    Grump no. 12

What the fuck is up with seasonal allergies? Why is my body totally fine with the world from May through February? Does the air suddenly turn to poison on March 1st?

Grump no. 13

I really hate how allergy medication makes me feel.

Evil_Reaver on
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Reaver, it's because you're swimming in PLANT SPERM.

Houn on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

So spring is a giant plant bukkake?

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
    edited March 2010

I'm so angry at this. You don't even understand how angry I am.

Evil_Reaver on
  • Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    There's two things that really annoy me:
    1). Bigotry
    2). Arabs

Anarchy Rules! on
    edited March 2010
    I see what you did there.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

I'm so angry at this. You don't even understand how angry I am.
    reaver_rage.jpg

Houn on