As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX Scheduling (for Khoo or Gabe)

The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, OmeganautRegistered User, ClubPA regular
edited October 2005 in PAX Archive
Have you guys considered changing PAX to Labor Day Weekend? Espeically now that it's three days? You could do a Sat, Sun, Mon thing instead of Fri, Sat, Sun. Most people would have that Monday off from work and/or school.

BLM - ACAB
The Geek on

• Options
    GeeCeeGeeCee Registered User regular
    edited September 2005
    Not a good idea. People won't show up.

GeeCee on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2005
    I know I wouldn't go. There would be no time to get back. I suppose if it was a Fri/Sat/Sun just moved a week, that would work.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    futilityfutility Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2005
    while the travel time would possibly be more complicated and the hotel rates might be higher I like this idea

futility on
  • Options
    duderdude2duderdude2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2005
    Well, PAX is slated to start later next year anyway, so it's going to be a problem for some people to get to regardless.

duderdude2 on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited September 2005
    what about earlier? to get in on the premo vacation time? Rain is less of an issue if you go earlier as well.

*shrug* Im still going hell or highwater.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    futilityfutility Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2005
    comicon

futility on
  • Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited September 2005
    No way I'd be able to go, thats a high sales date. :(

Shade on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2005
    apotheos wrote:
    I know I wouldn't go. There would be no time to get back. I suppose if it was a Fri/Sat/Sun just moved a week, that would work.

It's the same situation right now, though. The last day is on Sunday.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2005
    I'm not going if I have to go during the schoolyear again

MulysaSempronius on
    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    AnexkahnAnexkahn Registered User regular
    edited September 2005
    It really needs to be moved back a week or two to make it easier on school schedules. Vacation time from alot of workplaces is easier to get in august than september or the fall.

Anexkahn on
  • Options
    edited September 2005
    Anexkahn wrote:
    Vacation time from alot of workplaces is easier to get in august than september or the fall.

Guh?

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited September 2005
    I think labor day weekend would be bad for PAX because of Bumbershoot.

As loyal as PA fans are, I could see a lot of people not show, purely because of Bumbershoot.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited September 2005
    I think labor day weekend would be bad for PAX because of Bumbershoot.

As loyal as PA fans are, I could see a lot of people not show, purely because of Bumbershoot.

bumberwhat?

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    yesacsyesacs Registered User regular
    edited September 2005
    As a rule, i never travel during labor day weekend. It would be better for all of us if PAX wasn't during one of the busier travel weekends of the year. Plus, a lot of people already have their own family plans for labor day.
    The Geek wrote:
    Anexkahn wrote:
    Vacation time from alot of workplaces is easier to get in august than september or the fall.

Guh?

This is very true at my job since the major fall projects are now kicking in. I wouldn't be able take much time off at all around labor day.

yesacs on
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited September 2005
    Personally I think PAX should stay put. It's a good, non-busy weekend where most people are free, plus it's on my birthday.

Azio on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited September 2005
    keep it put. it's fine the same day it is.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    SlignotSlignot Registered User regular
    edited September 2005
    I am almost guaranteed not go go for another four-five years or more if it stays as is. I missed classes this year since the trip was a gift, but with the end of my undergraduate degree and law school ahead of me, I don't think I could justify missing classes on the first week of school again.

I would recommend pushing it up at least one week if possible.

Slignot on
    5535a6a4.png
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2005
    Slignot wrote:
    I am almost guaranteed not go go for another four-five years or more if it stays as is. I missed classes this year since the trip was a gift, but with the end of my undergraduate degree and law school ahead of me, I don't think I could justify missing classes on the first week of school again.

Your classes start before labour day? Thats kind of wierd.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    tmonkeytmonkey Registered User regular
    edited September 2005
    Well, there's a fairly large (but smaller than PAX) convention in Portland that is traditionally Labor Day Weekend right now, and there is a percentage of the attendees that overlap.

tmonkey on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited September 2005
    apotheos wrote:
    Slignot wrote:

Not in America it isn't.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    edited September 2005
    apotheos wrote:
    The starting time for schools here ranges from early/mid August all the way up to the beginning of October.

Bogey on
    Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    BeatByAGrrlBeatByAGrrl Registered User regular
    edited September 2005
    They keep promising us they're going to push back school start dates until after labour day, but I haven't seen it enforced in my district. This year my classes started the Monday after PAX. I would've only missed the first day, but Katrina caused my connecting flights to be delayed or canceled and getting back to Texas took forever.

BeatByAGrrl on
    when you punish a person for dreaming his dream, don't expect him to thank or forgive you. the best ever death metal band out of denton will in time both outpace and outlive you. hail satan!
  • Options
    Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited September 2005
    Now we're thinking of moving it to early august. And some changes that were supposed to get made are being pushed back a year. More info soon.

-robert

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited September 2005
    OOOh how soon should we be expecting this news??? cuz i'm already trying to get time off for next year....

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited October 2005
    If it's early August, then the kids taking summer semesters in University/College won't be able to come. That's quite a bit of the attendants already.

I'm begging you to keep PAX the days that it was last year

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2005
    Trillian wrote:
    If it's early August, then the kids taking summer semesters in University/College won't be able to come. That's quite a bit of the attendants already.

I'm begging you to keep PAX the days that it was last year

And if if's later, the people going to regular semesters in University/College won't be able to come.

Some people are just going to miss it. It happens.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    edited October 2005
    Not really. I was at school all last year, and I didn't have to miss any. School for most people starts in September, and PAX fell into the short summer break we got last year. People who have school at the end of August can still attend PAX if they choose to miss the first day or two (which, I'm sure you'll agree, are generally a waste of time) If PAX was to be at the beginning of August, it'd fall right at the beginning of exam time, and would cause a ton of people to miss it.

Trillian on

• Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2005
    Trillian wrote:
    Not really. I was at school all last year, and I didn't have to miss any. School for most people starts in September, and PAX fell into the short summer break we got last year. People who have school at the end of August can still attend PAX if they choose to miss the first day or two (which, I'm sure you'll agree, are generally a waste of time) If PAX was to be at the beginning of August, it'd fall right at the beginning of exam time, and would cause a ton of people to miss it.

Actually, a lot of school starts at the end of August nowadays. It's annoying, but yes, it does...

And missing the first day or two of classes is never the best thing to do. It's a lot better to miss a day or two in the middle, especially if it's College...

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    JoonJoon Registered User regular
    edited October 2005
    I'd be willing to bet that more people would/have missed PAX at the end of August because of just starting school. Yeah, folks who do summer school might be screwed, but the number of people who would get screwed during the start of school is surely higher.

Joon on
    bartsig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2005
    well then how bouts a compromise? Mid - August anyone?

I know I can't control when PAX is, I'm just pleading a case for all the poor kids who got shafted with the summer courses.

Trillian on

• Options
    edited October 2005
    I'm up for more than one pax a year

Shade on
  • Options
    BeatByAGrrlBeatByAGrrl Registered User regular
    edited October 2005
    No... then it wouldn't be near as awesome. The anticipation is half the fun. Like Christmas. I had to wait all the way until the second PAX to even go cuz I couldn't make it last year. And I would have skipped class again to go. But last year I had a 1-month-old baby that I couldn't take with me and couldn't leave behind. This year he was old enough to be away from me, so I went.

BeatByAGrrl on
    when you punish a person for dreaming his dream, don't expect him to thank or forgive you. the best ever death metal band out of denton will in time both outpace and outlive you. hail satan!
  • Options
    edited October 2005
    No... then it wouldn't be near as awesome. The anticipation is half the fun. Like Christmas. I had to wait all the way until the second PAX to even go cuz I couldn't make it last year. And I would have skipped class again to go. But last year I had a 1-month-old baby that I couldn't take with me and couldn't leave behind. This year he was old enough to be away from me, so I went.

........I don't like christmas... it should only come once every 2 or 3 years max.

if you make pax earlier it would be in the summer quarter but if you make it in middle then it would leave enough time to request those days off and get the work done early...

Shade on
  • Options
    edited October 2005
    aww *hugs* You can come over and eat my food at Christmas if you want

And, I'm thinking exactly what Shade is. If PAX is mid-august, it works with the schedules of most students, both American and Canadian.

Trillian on

• Options
    AndwarfAndwarf Registered User regular
    edited October 2005
    I prefer it squeezed in at the end of August, personally. Especially since I might be away on a workterm for most of the summer (including some of august).

It would be much easier to get time to go to PAX late in august anyway, as I could just give an employer an end date before PAX/school start, rather than book off a weekend so close to the end of my time there, anyway.

Andwarf on
    Most inanimate objects find me at least mildly agreeable!
  • Options
    graizurgraizur __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2005
    hey guys I am slightly bored. I wish Pax was next weakend then I would get to hang out with gamers.

graizur on
  • Options
    AndwarfAndwarf Registered User regular
    edited October 2005
    Definitely.

Andwarf on
    Most inanimate objects find me at least mildly agreeable!
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited October 2005
    You have to hunt around your hometown for the gathering places. I found this little cybercafe in Burnaby near where I work and they're playing games and generally hanging out until midnight every day there.

Azio on
  • Options
    edited October 2005
    graizur wrote:
    hey guys I am slightly bored. I wish Pax was next weakend then I would get to hang out with gamers.

Well, you're in Portland. Drive the gamerbus up here, and we can hang out and stuff.

I should be less bored and idle, since I have a midterm tomorrow, but meh.

Trillian on

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2005
    I've never been in a school that didn't start classes around mid to late August. I think they're a myth.
    Pretty much, any time of year sucks for somebody. Summer classes are less common than fall ones.
    I think the biggest scheduling hurdle for me was not knowing about omeganaut choices before I had to make travel plans. And the fact that those activities lasted the whole event and not just Saturday and Sunday. Having the starting event on Friday was hard to plan around.

MulysaSempronius on
    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing