As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Statutory [Rap]

• Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Dyscord wrote: »
    are those 45 minute running things all together somewhere? that is a neat idea.

Couldn't find an actual list outside of iTunes, but it seems these are the groups that have done them.

The Crystal Method
    A-Trak
    The Hives
    Aesop Rock
    Cassius

and this one, which apparently just recently came out and I just bought, because well... De La Soul! Anyways, I'm liking it so far, literally just bought it though.

Edit: the de la track kicks serious ass. I'm loving it.

Prospicience on
  • HyphyKezzyHyphyKezzy The Best On MarsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hit the final SF stop of Rock the Bells this weekend. Had a fantastic time, the lineup did not dissapoint, just my inability to be at two stages at once. Best surprise by far was Slick Rick and Doug E Fresh sneaking onstage unannounced and off the playbill to perform a set. Best "did that just happen?" moment was ending up within touching distance of Busta Rhymes while searching for a drunken MIA homie. Good times.

HyphyKezzy on
    steam_sig.png
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    rise from your grave

Raekwon is finally out. Fuck yeah. Took him long enough, but this thing is rock solid so far. The opening "house of flying daggers" is just silly brutish.

desc on
  • HyphyKezzyHyphyKezzy The Best On MarsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    "Black Mozart" is sticking out to me right now, although I could see that beat getting old over time. Rock solid feels like an accurate description to me.

HyphyKezzy on
    steam_sig.png
  • starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Gentlemen. I need world hiphop, stat.

And if anyone offers up any of that shit british people try to pass off as hiphop I'm going to be upset.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

And if anyone offers up any of that shit british people try to pass off as hiphop I'm going to be upset.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN54DNPV2gQ

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    edited September 2009
    Roc Raida passed away this week :(

Prospicience on
  • flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So, No Ceilings is easily the best thing Lil Wayne has ever released. How the hell did that happen?

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • HKPacman420HKPacman420 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The Loyalists are dope.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsA3wnni_04

Mainstream Hip-Hop is terrible,terrible garbage.

HKPacman420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009

Damn... Old news by now I guess, but that's pretty sad. I remember seeing him (and the rest of the X-ecutioners) at the Scratch tour a few years ago, and he killed it. The tricks that guy could pull off were pretty awesome to watch.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
    edited November 2009

Damn... Old news by now I guess, but that's pretty sad. I remember seeing him (and the rest of the X-ecutioners) at the Scratch tour a few years ago, and he killed it. The tricks that guy could pull off were pretty awesome to watch.

Yeah, definitely, the man was a legend. Also perfected body tricks on the turntables.
    Spoiler of him trying to explain his magic.
    So I picked up Tokiwright from Rhymesayers new CD after seeing him open for Brother Ali about a month ago. CD is off the hook, guy put on one hell of a show too.
    Devil's Advocate

Also, Gift of Gab's new CD is incredible (not a big surprise there).
    Light Years

Prospicience on
    edited November 2009
    The Perceptionists are pretty sweet. Hip-Hop group from Boston, made up of Mr.Lif,Akrobatik and DJ Fakts One.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPZ9WgLxbKc

Mr.Lif and Akrobatik's solo albums are also pretty damn good.

HKPacman420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Man, I Phantom was a fucking stellar album. One of my favorites:
    Return of the B-Boy
    I used to be so into this shit. Was a total Defjux head all through college.

firewaterword on
    edited November 2009
    Sad to see that this thread went to page 5 and no one has mentioned Rakim's new album "The Seventh Seal". It was released on November 17th, but I just managed to nab a copy. I'm not feeling some of the choruses, but Rakim brings it on every single verse (as one would expect from the God MC).

In particular, I'm really enjoying this track with a No Doubt sample

Dedicated

HKPacman420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • zychizychi Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    lupe's new mixtape is siiiiiiick.

it's called "enemy of the state: a love story"

dunno if i can link to it, as it's free, sent out by his camp, and it's a mixtape. but if you know what you're doing it's not hard to find. he released it as a "cassette mp3" so you have to listen through it all the way through, but there's now a version out that's split up like a normal cd.

zychi on
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So MF Doom. He puts on one craptastic assfest of a live show. Thank god his posse got into a fight with some cholos, or there'd have been nothing entertaining all night.

BubbaT on
    edited November 2009
    That's disappointing, I've always wondered how he was live. Had never heard much at all.

Prospicience on
    edited November 2009
    zychi wrote: »

dunno if i can link to it, as it's free, sent out by his camp, and it's a mixtape. but if you know what you're doing it's not hard to find. he released it as a "cassette mp3" so you have to listen through it all the way through, but there's now a version out that's split up like a normal cd.

Glad to hear it's good - I remember hearing about this awhile ago but kinda forgot about it. I'll check it out ASAP.

-Fuck this is such a good mixtape! I forgot how great the beat on Fireman is.

firewaterword on
    edited November 2009
    So I just started getting into Blue Scholars. Pretty nice laid back sound compared against the Army of the Pharaohs/Jedi Mind Tricks/stuff coming out through the Snowgoons collaborations type sound(which is dope, but it all kinda sounds the same).

Motion Movement

50k deep

HKPacman420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    zychi wrote: »

Yeah this tape is flames. Everyone should go listen to it right now. It's that good. Standout track is probably fireman, but this is a 20 min tape with more tight bars than most dudes careers. Lupe might be the best rapper living, and if not he's damn close to it. He's one of THE most talented dudes in the game. I've big upped this track already, but if you aren't convinced go listen to failure again. It's unbelievable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4fPzD6F9eI

The new Wayne tape No Ceilings is great too. I love elite level rappers over other people's beats, and both these tapes fit neatly into that genre. Standout track for me so far is Run This Town, since I love the beat.

valiance on
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    dessa's album A Badly Broken Code is fucking excellent

skippydumptruck on
    edited February 2010
    I think I've been ruined for all rap concerts forever. Project Blowed had their 15th anniversary show back around New Year's. It went for 5 hours. For $10. And featured a reunion of Freestyle Fellowship, the first time they've been on stage together since ~2002.

BubbaT on
    edited March 2010
    Guru from Gang Starr in a coma following heart attack
    According to many different sources, Hip-Hop Wired has acquired information that rapper Guru has fallen into a coma after suffering cardiac arrest.

Details right now remain very slim, but sources have stated that the news was broken by Guru's sister.

Guru, who is a former member of the rap duo Gang Starr, is considered to be one of the pioneers of Hip-Hop/jazz crossovers. As more details are released, Hip-Hop Wired will continue to bring you all the information regarding the situation.

Our prayers go to Keith "Guru" Elam and his family.

*UPDATE*
    DJ Premier, the other half of Gang Starr called up Satelite XM radio station "Hip Hop Nation" and confirmed Guru's heart attack.

"Guru IS in a coma and will go under surgery tomorrow afternoon."

BubbaT on
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The new Gorillaz album is streaming on npr.org

It's really good! Mos Def has some really great cuts on here.

Clint Eastwood on
  • krushkrush Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYnjxwb3fEY

Can't understand it, but is -sounds- like good hip hop to me.

krush on
    edited March 2010
    BubbaT wrote: »
    According to many different sources, Hip-Hop Wired has acquired information that rapper Guru has fallen into a coma after suffering cardiac arrest.

Details right now remain very slim, but sources have stated that the news was broken by Guru's sister.

Guru, who is a former member of the rap duo Gang Starr, is considered to be one of the pioneers of Hip-Hop/jazz crossovers. As more details are released, Hip-Hop Wired will continue to bring you all the information regarding the situation.

*UPDATE*
    DJ Premier, the other half of Gang Starr called up Satelite XM radio station "Hip Hop Nation" and confirmed Guru's heart attack.

ffffuck. That's horrible :( wish him the best, guy's a legend. Hopefully he'll pull through.

Prospicience on
  • JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    BubbaT wrote: »

*UPDATE*

Wait wtf?

Man. Best wishes to him. He's one of the legends and probably influenced my music-taste the most.

Julius on
  • I N V I C T U SI N V I C T U S Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hey dudes, can you give me a crash course in rap? I've been testing the waters for the past couple months and I really want to get swimming, but I'm kind of lost as to where to start. I've got some good ideas of classic albums to pick up, but I'm really lost when it comes to good, modern artists, so that's where I'd like the most help from you.

Stuff I like:
    Lupe Fiasco
    P.O.S.
    Wayne's mixtapes
    Eminem
    Wu-Tang Clan (particularly Inspectah Deck)
    Jurassic 5

I'd like album suggestions when possible.

I N V I C T U S on
    BY THE HOARY FUCKING HOSTS!
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hey dudes, can you give me a crash course in rap? I've been testing the waters for the past couple months and I really want to get swimming, but I'm kind of lost as to where to start. I've got some good ideas of classic albums to pick up, but I'm really lost when it comes to good, modern artists, so that's where I'd like the most help from you.

Stuff I like:
    Lupe Fiasco
    P.O.S.
    Wayne's mixtapes
    Eminem
    Jurassic 5

Mos Def & Talib Kweli - Black Star. It's pretty much the best hip-hop album of all time.

TL DR on
    edited March 2010
    Audio Crack by Slept on Fam. Dope production from Configa on every track (very reminiscent of DJ Premier & Pete Rock) and hard hitting rhymes. Support independent artists,best $8 you'll ever spend.

Now available on itunes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9SB4NNjV38

EDIT: Small update I read on the Guru situation. The surgery was a success, and he's expected to make a full recovery.

HKPacman420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Stuff I like:
    Lupe Fiasco
    P.O.S.
    Wayne's mixtapes
    Eminem
    Jurassic 5

Blackalicious might be up your alley, although Gab is sort of polarizing in terms of style (Blazing Arrow and The Craft.)

You could try Blue Scholars and Common Market; Sazbi has kind of a similar sound to P.O.S (check out Bayani by the former, and Common Market's self titled release.)

You didn't mention the Roots, so I'm going to on the off chance you haven't heard The Tipping Point yet. And really all their other albums too.

I recommend Immortal Technique to anyone who seems like they might be vaguely interested in the political angle, but sledgehammer imagery doesn't do it for everybody.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Stuff I like:
    Lupe Fiasco
    P.O.S.
    Wayne's mixtapes
    Eminem
    Jurassic 5

Well you have good taste first of all.

Lupe: Try Lupe Fiasco's debut album Food and Liquor, his sophomore effort The Cool, his 3 early mixtapes: Fahrenheit 1/15 Part 1--The Truth Is Among Us, Fahrenheit 1/15 Part 2--Revenge of the Nerds, and Fahrenheit 1/15 Part 3--A Rhyming Ape. And his mixtape from a few months ago Enemy of the State: A Love Story. Also watch out for LASERS his 3rd album dropping this spring.

Eminem: Infinite, Slim Shady LP, The Marshal Mathers LP, The Eminem Show After the Eminem show he fell off hard. his only good reason performance was on that Drake song Forever: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9udNcAJbiNg

Wu-Tang: their debut group album Enter the 36 Chambers, followup Forever ( 3rd and 4th albums:The W and Iron Flag are less good but still great albums, the first 2 are classic) Then the first round of solo albums (Only Built 4 Cuban Linx, and Liquid Swords are the standouts, but the whole first round is good.) Then hit up the second round of solo albums at your leisure. Its only recently that the Wu have fallen off a bit.

As far as stuff you didn't mention:

If you like Eminem you should love Royce da 5'9" They are old friends and colleagues and have a similar style (and are both elite level rappers besides. Check out his mixtapes The Bar Exam and The Bar Exam 2, as well as his latest album Street Hop. You'll also love the other members of his supergroup Slaughterhouse (composed of Crooked I, Joell Ortiz, Joe Budden and Royce who are all great rappers in their own right)

If you like Lupe you'll likely love Nas--dude fathered the lyrical imagery of today's best rappers. your favorite rappers favorite rapper. Check for Illmatic, It Was Written, and Stillmatic especially. But all his albums are great. He may be the greatest rapper living imo.

If you like The Gorillaz check for Del The Funkee Homosapien

If you're into that conscious rap you can't do any better than Mos Def's debut Album Black on Both Sides. Right up there in classic underground territory is Talib Kewli's Reflection Eternal (Train of Thought). Then of course their collabo album Mos Def and Talib Kweli are Black Star

Brother Ali does underground, everyday relatable rap better than almost anyone else. He's an albino muslim from Mineappolis. Check for Shadows on the Sun, The Truth is Here, and US

If you're into gritty NY rap try: The LOX (Jadakiss, Styles P, and Sheek Louch), Mobb Depp and maybe even Fabolous

valiance on
  • UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm not totally enthralled with the new Gorillaz, but it has some good stuff. I'm not very worried either, because most Gorillaz is a slow burn for me. Rhinestone Eyes, Sweepstakes, and Stylo are all quite good. The intro-type deal with Snoop is underwhelming, partially because I don't care for him whatsoever.

UnknownSaint on
    edited March 2010
    Good post valiance.

Brother Ali's "Bitchslap!" is such a good song.
    Check out Cannibal Ox's album The Cold Vein. It's a little... different, but it's one of my favorite albums of all time. "The F-Word" is one of their more approachable songs, and it's got a sick RJD2 beat. Shit, check out RJ's Deadringer if you like the sound too.

firewaterword on
  • WazzaWazza Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Would anyone happen to know when the new Roots album is supposed to come out? Last I heard it was pushed from last October to this February, but Feb came and went without an album D:.

Until then, I will have to listen to
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI4D1QOLGuM
    over and over again

Wazza on
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited March 2010