As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Can't remember the game...

tehgr8supatehgr8supa Registered User regular
edited March 2010 in Games and Technology
There is an old PC game I'm trying to remember the name of, but I can't for the life of me.

It was a Worms style game set in space on planets of various sizes. You had a ship with a variety of weapons and moving abilities, and you were trying to blow each other up. You could terraform and create copies of planets, you could launch yourself from your current resting point (and I think gravity from the planets affected you and your weapons). It was a lot of fun, and while I'm sure there isn't a good way to play it, it would be fun to reminisce.

Help me Obi-Wan PA Forums; you're my only hope.

tehgr8supa on

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The strategy, ship, space setting, and terraforming parts make me think of Star Reach, but that doesn't really make sense considering the rest of the stuff you remember.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I love these threads.

Do you remember the year the game is from?

Turkey on
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    What happened to the old "Name That Game" thread? That was pretty intense there for a while.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    WythWyth Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I don't have a clue about what game you are looking for, but I remembered something and I thought to pose my own question here. I don't mean to hijack the thread, just make it multipurpose.

I'm also looking for a game, It's an old PC game (1996 +- 3 years) and I have some foggy memory about it so don't take my description to literal. I was rather young and hardly knew how to play it so...

It's some kind of real time strategy game, graphical style somewhat like Abe's Odyssee but without the machinery. All in all a quite "floaty", serene atmosphere. It was presented in side view and you had several "locations" that were one, horizontally scrolling map. Via portals you could get to other "locations" which could look wildly different (underwater, jungle lava).

You did not have (much?) direct control over your minions (floating critters) but you could influence what buildings you made and which portals to open to other worlds (I think). A bit like settlers, you don't control your minions but influence them indirectly by buildings and such. Resources were collected by your critters who would grab small, glowing balls and transport those to your main building.

Hope this is good enough.

Wyth on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The strategy, ship, space setting, and terraforming parts make me think of Star Reach, but that doesn't really make sense considering the rest of the stuff you remember.

In the game I'm talking about, your ships resting on the surface of the planets. The game was 2D, and after looking at screenshots of Star Reach, the graphics were quite better. I don't remember the year, but I think I was playing it on Windows 95. I've got another game I'm thinking about as well, but let's get this one first. ;)

I've tried Google searches with different combinations of keywords but I haven't been able to figure it out yet.

tehgr8supa on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I'm gonna bump this one time then let it die. Thanks for the help anyway.

tehgr8supa on
  • Options
    MordrackMordrack Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Scorched Earth, maybe?

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Mordrack wrote: »

Yeah I was kind of thinking scorched earth cept no one ever moved in that game cause it was usualy fatal/waste of parachutes. For the most part it does fit the description preaty well.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Is it Warheads?

Here's a handy link to download the shareware version to see for yourself since that other link only has two lousy screenshots. Works just fine on Windows Vista's DOS thingy or whatever. I used to play this game/sw/demo whatever for hours and hours back in the day.

reVerse on
  • Options
    HubHub Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    yeah warheads would be my guess too.

Hub on
  • Options
    remlap13remlap13 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yea it's Warheads. As soon as I read your description, I was like "shit yea i've played that game and it was awesome.." But I couldn't remember the name until someone mentioned it.

remlap13 on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    What happened to the old "Name That Game" thread? That was pretty intense there for a while.

These sort of threads usually turn into them after a while.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    remlap13remlap13 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ok, I've got one for you guys now that the Warheads one is figured.

It came out ages ago. Like, mid 90s possibly? I can't quite remember how old I was. Anyways, the point of the game from what I can remember, was to go through levels, spelling things. Or something. It was kind of a platforming/learning game. There were baddies to defeat. Possibly made of goo. Or something.

EDIT: Shit. I don't know if I ruined the game, or if Google is just way overpowered. But by searching "90s spelling PC games" and clicking on the first link, I found it. Fuck.

remlap13 on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Malechai wrote: »
    Mordrack wrote: »

Yeah I was kind of thinking scorched earth cept no one ever moved in that game cause it was usualy fatal/waste of parachutes. For the most part it does fit the description preaty well.

The thing is, there were like a billion and one Scorched Earth clones. The version I remember mainly playing didn't have movement (beyond what happened after deforming the ground), but I'm pretty sure there were others that did.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    remlap13 wrote: »
    Ok, I've got one for you guys now that the Warheads one is figured.

It came out ages ago. Like, mid 90s possibly? I can't quite remember how old I was. Anyways, the point of the game from what I can remember, was to go through levels, spelling things. Or something. It was kind of a platforming/learning game. There were baddies to defeat. Possibly made of goo. Or something.

EDIT: Shit. I don't know if I ruined the game, or if Google is just way overpowered. But by searching "90s spelling PC games" and clicking on the first link, I found it. Fuck.

Even though you found it already, was it Word Rescue?

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I remember Warheads! It was awesome.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    AydrAydr Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    That must have been Word Rescue, no way he could have been talking about anything else.

Aydr on
This discussion has been closed.