As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Greed On!] Greed Corp -- Euro Digital Board Game Crack - Now on IOS!

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    i picked this up for the ps3, if anyone wants to get a game going sometime. my PSN is Ah_Pook.

Ah_Pook on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Played the tutorial for a bit this morning. Digging it, even if the AI kicked my ass the very first mission. Gonna have to kinda learn how to balance everything I suppose.

How do you build a Harvester and then make it self destruct?

Sheep on
  • BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Sheep wrote: »
    Played the tutorial for a bit this morning. Digging it, even if the AI kicked my ass the very first mission. Gonna have to kinda learn how to balance everything I suppose.

On your turn it's one of the options in the menu thingy. Unfortunately for me I didn't realize that it also has the potential to collapse a whole lot of land (thought I was "saving" myself when instead I doomed half my army lol)

Bamelin on
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Sheep wrote: »

The Harvester is the second icon on the right hand build bar. Right above it is the icon to blow it up; once it's done next turn you can.

I'm loving this game so far even with my ass getting handed to me. Second mission, I always manage to kill one of my two opponents before the other comes and clusterfucks me. I got close once though.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This type of game is so up my alley that after seeing enough positive reviews I'll definitely be getting it from the PSN within the next week. Just not until I actually play Heavy Rain, which has been sitting there for three days now calling out to me :P

Ketar on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yeah blowing up a harvester destroys the tile its on, regardless of height, then lowers the height of all adjacent hexes by one, and is capable of causing chain reaction destruction of 1 height tiles.

I'm surprised to hear you guys are having such a hard time with the AI! I just lost my first game against the AI but it was the second mission of the second campaign and I would have had it if the last enemy base had been in range of my cannon. Still not sure exactly how far they can shoot.

I find there there are basically two "end game" strategies to win the game. One is turret spam (or to be more precise, spamming ammo on one turret that can reach all the remaining tiles). Or air dropping walkers and building harvesters in enemy territory. I prefer the turret strategy. Basically you have a turret and an armory in the same hex, and you always keep it at 16 walkers. Then, you use the turret to A: hit any hex with 16 walkers (so they can not air drop 16 into your turret hex and take it from you, assuming they have carriers) or B: whittle away at their remaining hexes, setting up chain reactions to blow up their hexes in the least number of shells possible. IE. if they have three adjacent hexes at 2 height, hit all of them once and then hit any of the hexes with another shell and they will all die, saving you two shells.

I haven't had as much practice with the airdrop strategy but I need to get better at it for situations when my turret is out of range.

Inquisitor on
    edited February 2010
    One harvester placed in a hex beside the cannon though can rally ruin your day. That happened to me and it basically spelled my doom.

Bamelin on
    edited February 2010
    True. Ideally the cannon hex is either isolated or you have 16 walkers (or at least more walkers than the enemy has once you blow up as many as you can with your cannon) on all the adjacent hexes.

Another game mechanics question I need to figure out is what exactly happens when you have two harvesters harvesting the same hex. The height seems to go down by only 1, but do you get +2 income for each harvester harvesting a tile or +2 income for each harvested tile?

Inquisitor on
    edited February 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    True. Ideally the cannon hex is either isolated or you have 16 walkers (or at least more walkers than the enemy has once you blow up as many as you can with your cannon) on all the adjacent hexes.

Another game mechanics question I need to figure out is what exactly happens when you have two harvesters harvesting the same hex. The height seems to go down by only 1, but do you get +2 income for each harvester harvesting a tile or +2 income for each harvested tile?

I think how it works is that a square can only be harvested once per turn (both gold and going down height wise)

So +2 income for each harvested tile which can only be collected once per turn no matter how many harvesters are connected to the tile.

Bamelin on
    edited February 2010
    Makes sense. I wonder why the AI builds so many adjacent harvesters sometimes, seems like a waste of money.

Inquisitor on
  • JubehJubeh Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Is it just me or does the beginner ai seem stronger than the skilled ai.

Jubeh on
  • Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    WTF IS THIS?!

Downloading demo now. I'm unemployed you fucks, stop making (good) turnbased strategy games.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
    edited February 2010
    Jubeh wrote: »
    Is it just me or does the beginner ai seem stronger than the skilled ai.

I haven't tried the harder ai. Beginner ai schools me =(

edit: I'll look for you online tonight kris assuming you purchase

Bamelin on
    edited February 2010
    I like it. If there seems to be some people playing I'll pick it up.

Kris_xK on
    edited February 2010
    Found another review at Split-Screen (more of a blog review really but still it's a pretty decent write up)
    At it's heart, Greed Corp is a considered and thoughtful strategy game that has a pacing and structure that sits it comfortably next to tabletop style affairs such as Carcassonne and Catan as opposed to the balls-out real time titles such as Command and Conquer. The game is characterised by a focus on careful placement and considered execution and reminds me of just why it is that I love turn-based strategy. Intensely difficult, but massively rewarding, Greed Corp has me suitably hooked on the Mistbound universe.

edit: ok I'll keep an eye out for you kris

Bamelin on
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Cool, this came out. The Giantbomb quicklook a while back made it look pretty fun.

tofu on
    edited February 2010
    You know, I think one of the reasons why I enjoy this game so much, and bear with me here, is how analogous it feels chess in a general sense.

You've got the opening game strategy where harvesters function similarly to pawns. How you place your harvesters allows you to develop, if you will, your other pieces. (In corp wars through revenue generation to build, in chess through opening up movement for your pieces). However, what is most similar is the way that how the harvesters reshape the board determine what strategies will be strong for you and your opponent. It determines which pieces (walkers or airplanes or cannons) will be strong, much like pawn structure determines if knights or bishops will be strong or if it will be a closed or open game. An example of this was placing my harvesters so I had an island of three armories with good height surrounded by enough open hexes that no cannons can reach me. This makes for a game where cannons are useless against me.

Mid game, hah well I've never had a good grasp on the mid game of chess or greed corp yet, but mid game is a desperate back and forth with your opponent to assert the type of game you want to have played and transition smoothly to a winning end game.

The end game is geed corp is like the end game of chess, more science than anything. The winner is mostly determined at this point and only the most brilliant of moves or blunders will shift the balance as the player in the dominant position stamps out what's left of the opposition.

"Play the opening like a book, the middle game like a magician, and the endgame like a machine." was said about chess, and I think it holds true for this game as well. Of course, the difference here is that every board is different, so there are a large varieties of opening.

Inquisitor on
    edited February 2010
    I bought the full game for 360 ... unfortunately online seems dead at the moment. Anyone finding players on PSN?

Bamelin on
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Bamelin wrote: »
    I bought the full game for 360 ... unfortunately online seems dead at the moment. Anyone finding players on PSN?

Nope, but I'd be down to do some matches sometime.
    It's a new game that probably hasn't seen enough coverage yet to have a decent online multiplayer grouping, but give it a few weeks tops and I bet PSN and 360 will be seeing dedicated numbers of people blowing each other up on there.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
    edited February 2010
    holy shit, i finally got a chance to play some of this game with a buddy of mine and it is intensely fun. i like how up in the air it is a lot of the time too. one nice move on your opponents part (or blunder on your part) can swing the endgame around drastically, no matter how commanding your "lead" looks.

if anyone here picked this up on the PSN lets play some games. all ive gotten into yet have been 1v1s.

Ah_Pook on
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I went ahead and picked it up for the PSN and downloaded it last night, but haven't had a chance to actually play it yet. Realistically it will probably be Wednesday or Thursday before I'm looking to play online since the next few nights are busy, but anyone interested in playing later feel free to send me a friend request on the PSN in the meantime - PSN ID is also Ketar.

Ketar on
  • RivulentRivulent Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I really like this game, but I feel like the best part about it is also the worst part: never knowing when I have the upper hand, and always being one move away from failure. I can beat a map, and then fail it on five retries. I feel like I'm not learning anything.

Rivulent on
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Man, I really love this game. It's really too bad that I can never find a game online. I managed to find one guy and he added me to his friends list because I was pretty much the only other person he's found playing the game (I'm guessing, we waited in the lobby for like 10 minutes waiting for someone else to join, but no one did). Anyway, playing on 360, gamertag in my sig.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I played the demo, I like this game, I will be buying on the ps3 since that is what my Brother-in-law has and he likes strategy games like Civilization. (Though he just got a wii so I'll probably have to wait till the honeymoon is over.)

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I don't remember what the map was called, it was a 2 player map with player territory in lines across it, but it was really fun. You're both all over the place and it's really chaotic. When everything started to boil down to the last phase of the game, it was really cool to see what happened to the game board (more so than usual since it was a pretty stable board at the beginning).

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
    edited March 2010
    I don't remember what the map was called, it was a 2 player map with player territory in lines across it, but it was really fun. You're both all over the place and it's really chaotic. When everything started to boil down to the last phase of the game, it was really cool to see what happened to the game board (more so than usual since it was a pretty stable board at the beginning).

yea that map is really fun. the beginning is so nuts. harvesters everywhere, stealing them back and forth like crazy.

Ah_Pook on
    edited March 2010
    You guys finding online games on the 360 or are you mostly playing the AI or with friends?

Kris_xK on
    edited March 2010
    Kris_xK wrote: »
    You guys finding online games on the 360 or are you mostly playing the AI or with friends?

I found a couple games on XBL. Hoping to get some more ranked matches in to get some titles locked down while it's easy to get high scores.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
    edited March 2010
    I'm going to look for some online games tonight on 360. Last time I checked 3 days ago it was dead.

For you guys that bought on PSN, are you having any luck finding online games?

I really like the game, multiplayer is fuckawesome

Bamelin on
    edited March 2010
    Ugh, the only person who I could find matches last night with was #3 or so on the leaderboards and he kept schooling me.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
    edited March 2010
    That is unfortunate :(

Kris_xK on
  • UbuRoiAAUbuRoiAA Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I keep playing the demo and I can't push myself to buy this: I like the style and the strategy but every games feels the same. I don't want to buy it now, play it like crazy for a week then stop, like I did with many arcade titles.

Maybe if it had more units or buildings, I could see more depth (sp?, like, you know, deep?) to it.

UbuRoiAA on
    edited March 2010
    UbuRoiAA wrote: »
    I keep playing the demo and I can't push myself to buy this: I like the style and the strategy but every games feels the same. I don't want to buy it now, play it like crazy for a week then stop, like I did with many arcade titles.

Maybe if it had more units or buildings, I could see more depth (sp?, like, you know, deep?) to it.

Well, you gotta remember the chess analogy. It's all about positioning and managing board space. Building up a plan that allows you to defeat the enemy while keeping your bases safe if quite tricky. Not to mention that not only will each playthrough on a map yield different results, each map is quite different in how you have to approach it. I think there's plenty there to justify the price. Not to mention it has a pretty extensive single player campaign.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
    edited March 2010
    Still... even chest has more than 5 units!

I played the demo again last night. Created battles, 1 time 3 players, 1 time 4 player. Both were crushing victories.

UbuRoiAA on
    edited March 2010
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/2010/3/5/
    What's weird is that now, with him seated squarely at the table, having precisely the sort of experience I've long encouraged, I'm trying to get him back in front of the television with Greed Corp.

Greed Corp could be a much broader game if it wanted to be, but it doesn't: it wants to be a boardgame with global reach and perpetual urgency. The hexes give away these intentions, to an extent, but the game it most reminds me of is Moonbase Commander. If you recognize this name, then good; it marks you as a person of discernment, a being who understands that the purpose of a man goes somewhat beyond mere respiration. If that name rings no bells, stop what you are doing - just stop it, stop doing that - and weep. Weep great, wracking sobs for your aimless youth, spent in sickening whorls of progressive degeneration.

Both games put a deceptively small set of tools in front of you. Both games are turn-based, with (what I would call) aggressive shot-clocks that purposefully lead their designs toward immediacy rather than beardy chin-twiddles. Not that I'm opposed to chin-twiddling in absolutely every case. I would direct you to my own chin - a chin weathered by years of errant, thoughtful massage. What I might suggest is that these games purposefully create a space that aims to defy a purely rational approach. They'd still be good games, even in the absence of the clocks. But they wouldn't be these games.

Fidgit's Tom Chick is not wrong that a better tutorial would go a long way, or that (as a general concept) opportunities for users to customize the experience a bit more would be welcome. All true. Not sufficient to dissuade a fervent recommendation, though, of the demo at the very least. Greed Corp is also among that increasingly rare breed of games you can play with people who are at your actual house. Your friends don't have to go home so you can play with them. It's weird, to be sure, but that's how things are now.

I would have played far more Greed Corp, but I was goaded by shame and rage into reclaiming my progress in Heavy Rain - not via some cackling hard-disc haruspex, but the old fashioned way, by investing my dwindling hours here on this Earth. I had to make absolutely certain I wouldn't fuck it up this time, or that it wouldn't get fucked up by an anomalous field or ray, so I leveraged nearly twenty folk rituals simultaneously. Some of the birds are lost somewhere in the house. There's salt everywhere now, and cloves, every auspicious herb or mineral has been employ'd.

I've beaten it, now - typically that's how you'd say it, that I (me) have beaten it (the game). In reality, I feel as though the game has defeated me in some way, manipuating me for its own ends, foundering me emotionally. I was threshed by it, at its culmination; sugar cane is the model, pounded until every sweetness is gone.

As far as recommendations go it doesn't get much better than that.

Bamelin on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So, I bought this yesterday, played through the first two mini-campaigns, and hungrily jumped online. Disappointingly, it seems that I can sit on Live forever and no one will ever host a game or join mine. Is this a connection problem, or are there just not many players?

Edit: I see that a couple other Live players are in the same boat. Friend me at Digitalwolfe if you want to get some games on.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Argl blargl. I've been sitting in host game for about two hours. Got one game where I got my butt handed to me. One game where the other player quit out after the first turn (with no penalty, I guess, and I got no credit for winning. I wonder how often people will just quit out when they realize they're losing, leaving you with no way to get the titles...) And then once someone got into my match, but I didn't notice them for a few minutes since I've been doing other things while leaving host on, and he left just as I was hitting start. Frustrating.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
    edited March 2010
    Just bought it. Give me the time to do the single player and I will play you. User name is: Ubu Roi AA

UbuRoiAA on
    edited March 2010
    Well, considering how small the community is, I don't think we really have to worry about people quitting out while losing too much, since people will get to know who he is. Plus, you always gotta leave bad feedback or whatever on their profile when people do stuff like that.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ya know what kind of sucks? The PSN version of Greed Corp doesn't support custom soundtracks.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.