As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Week o Games, 3/7: FF XIII, Yakuza3, Spectral Force, BlazBlue PSP, Dawn of War CR

slash000slash000 Registered User regular
edited March 2010 in Games and Technology

Another week, another 7 days of new game releases!

Welcome to the 105 edition of G&T's newly traditional "Weekly Games Release Thread!" - Week 3/7/10 - 3/13/10 !

Where we discuss what we're looking forward to, what we're going to buy, and what we're just now realizing is being released this week that we had forgotten about!

NDS

181196b.jpg

Spectral Force Genesis

181224b.jpg

50 Classic Games

Foto Showdown

Imagine: Sweet 16

The Daring Game for Girls (w/Book)

PC

647588b.jpg

Assassin's Creed II

647665b1.jpg

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - Chaos Rising

640046b.jpg

Sam & Max: Beyond Time and Space

BioShock 2: Sinclair Solutions Test Pack

Rise of Prussia

Battle of the Immortals

640045b.jpg

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II Gold Edition

Order of War: Challenge

PS3

270434b.jpg

Final Fantasy XIII

270327b.jpg

Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition

270485b.jpg

Yakuza 3

442278303_e1335e4d5b_o.gif
Mega Man 10

PSP

190016brp.jpg

Blazblue

Wii

230784b.jpg

Sam & Max: Beyond Time and Space

230772b.jpg

Calling

Max & the Magic Marker

Racquet Sports

Xbox360

200723b.jpg

Final Fantasy XIII

200021b.jpg

Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition

200714b.jpg

Supreme Commander 2

Scrap Metal

Wow this is a pretty cool week.

First off is the mega hyped Final Fantasy XIII. Did they cut the fat by limiting towns/shops and making it linear, or did they lose what made the series great in the process? Get it for 360 or PS3.

Speaking of RPGs, the NDS gets Spectral Force Genesis, a kind of RPG mixing strategy, diplomacy and force to bring a kingdom back to peace.

On the PS3 front, you get Yakuza 3, third in a pretty popular series of third person beat'em ups. PS3 also finally gets Mega Man 10 this week, so yay for the Blue Bomber!

on the PSP front, we get BlazBlue. Yes, they put this awesome fighting game on the PSP. So if you don't have an HD console, or you want to take your awesome 2D fighting on the go, or both, well here's your chance.

The Wii is getting the latest Sam & Max games packed into one release, Beyond Time and Space. It's also getting another interactive horror experience, as The Calling comes out this week as well.

The 360 gets a couple of cool things. Scrap Metal comes out this week, which looks like fun, much to the chagrin of David Jaffe. The 360 also gets Supreme Commander 2, which could be the next great Console RTS game.

Both HD consoles get the "Gold" edition of Resident Evil 5, which adds some side missions or some such thing, I'm not sure.

On the PC side, the PC gamers finally get Assassin's Creed II. Or I say, they should have gotten it today I think. Unfortunately it is marked up $10 from the typical PC game price. It is also extremely restrictive in its DRM, and paying customers have been locked out of playing the game because Ubisoft's authentication servers crashed today. So if you bought or are buying this game today, hope they get their shit together, because right now most people are either not able to play their fully purchased $60 game at all, or they're being forced to sit through long load times as the game attempts in vain to connect to the crashtacular UPlay servers.

PC also gets Dawn of War - Chaos Rising. Adds a bunch of great content to the original, so yay for expansions. PC also gets Sam & Max's newest release in box form.

So what are you guys all getting this week?

slash000 on

• -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You made me think I'd missed some announcement that the new Sam and Max was game out already, but it's just the collected box edition of the second series.

-SPI- on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    -SPI- wrote: »
    You made me think I'd missed some announcement that the new Sam and Max was game out already, but it's just the collected box edition of the second series.

Oh, that's right. Hm. Since it's not new I'll change the title.

slash000 on
  • Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yakuza 3 for me. Gonna punch all varieties of things in the face. That'll hold me off until next week wherein I will stab all varieties of things in the face.

Out of curiosity, though, since I haven't really followed it much. What is RE5: Gold Edition? Is it like a GotY deal with the game and all (or most) of the DLC included in it?

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    Yakuza 3 for me. Gonna punch all varieties of things in the face. That'll hold me off until next week wherein I will stab all varieties of things in the face.

Out of curiosity, though, since I haven't really followed it much. What is RE5: Gold Edition? Is it like a GotY deal with the game and all (or most) of the DLC included in it?

Resident Evil 5, plus all of the DLC included. Also two new additional episodes and a host of new characters to do Mercs mode with. And some new costumes.

slash000 on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hmm, figured the PC would have gotten Sam and Max on a disc a while ago.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    slash000 wrote: »
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »

Resident Evil 5, plus all of the DLC included. Also two new additional episodes and a host of new characters to do Mercs mode with. And some new costumes.

I've mentioned it a couple of other places but I figure I should do it again. The PS3 version's the only one with the DLC actually included on the disc, whereas the 360 version is just packaged with a couple of DLC codes. So 360 owners may be better off just finding a cheap copy of the original RE5 release and buying the DLC seperately.

Anyway, Final Fantasy XIII should be arriving tomorrow but I probably won't start playing it until last tomorrow night. I'll be at the NZ vs Australia ODI cricket most of tomorrow, it's gonna be awesome.

I'm also getting Yakuza 3 as well but that doesn't come out over here until next week. I guess Sega figured since they couldn't screw the game over here by releasing it on the same day as FFXIII, they'd go with the next best thing and release it on the same day as God of War 3...

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    That sounds pretty terrible, for the Xbox version to just have DLC codes.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I had no idea they were making BlazBlu for PSP! I should really get around to the PS3 version one of these days, fighting games generally aren't my thing but maybe with a new series I'd feel at less of a disadvantage for being a newcomer, unlike SF4.

And I'll definitely get FFXIII after my midterms this week, I haven't bought an FF since XI's being an MMO turned me off the series but I'm suddenly in the mood. Shame I can't play XII on this PS3.

AC2 will be bought if they ever gut out that atrocious DRM too.

Edit:

And I hated the Yakuza 3 demo. Sooo much. It was a complete pile of trash, I got bored in the middle of the first fight and deleted it.

Darlan on
  • TethTeth __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    I haven't played a Final Fantasy proper game since VII. I figure I'll check out XIII.

Teth on
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    FXIII for Xbox this Tuesday, yes'm. I don't have much time to play it in the foreseeable future, so I think it will be lasting me a year.

Lux on
  • KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The week that Yakuza was sent to die a horrible horrible death... Again.

4 will not see the light of day in NA.

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Darlan wrote: »
    I had no idea they were making BlazBlu for PSP! I should really get around to the PS3 version one of these days, fighting games generally aren't my thing but maybe with a new series I'd feel at less of a disadvantage for being a newcomer, unlike SF4.

Don't get the one on the PS3 now. The new one, Continuum Shift, comes out on consoles julyish and it's a lot better than calamity trigger, the current one.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Getting FFXIII. I'm interested in getting Sam & Max, but I'll probably just get it off Steam. I'll also keep my eye on Spectral Force Genesis (never heard of it, but looks interesting).

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hmm, figured the PC would have gotten Sam and Max on a disc a while ago.

Yeah, I haven't actually gotten the disc since it's easier to just redownload when I want to play, but I could have sworn I saw 2 sam and max game cases at their comiccon booth

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Final Fantasy XIII this week, PS3 version

Sucks for other games coming out this week!

Also I'm surprised they attempted BlazBlue on the PSP, I wonder how that holds up?

UnbreakableVow on
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sam & Max Season 2 for Wii... been waiting for that FOREVER.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I have the PS3 version of FFXIII and the Limited Edition Guide pre ordered and fully paid off at my local gamestop. Counting the minutes until lunch tomorrow, I also took a vacation day Wednesday to enjoy it. I will probably grab the RE5 Gold someday. I skipped the game last year and would like to check it out someday on the cheap.

corin7 on
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I want FFXIII...but I already put my money down on Monster Hunter Tri.

I'll just have to wait until the innevitable price drop later this year after I've been monstered, mariod, metroided out.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

I'll just have to wait until the innevitable price drop later this year after I've been monstered, mariod, metroided out.

If you had to choose you made the right one. As excited as I am for FFXIII nothing beats MH for me. Favorite game ever.

corin7 on
  • Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So no chance of getting Yakuza for Xbox 360, right? Is it Sony second party or something? Don't really know much about it, but the way some people around here rave about it I am mighty interested. The term 3rd person beat-em-up makes me excited.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Nope, just your usual bone headed Sega platform choice. :P
    Not really as Yakuza games do terrible over here and decently in Japan, so they actually picked the right system.

Boring week of games is boring. Can't wait until Sunday.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    corin7 wrote: »
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

If you had to choose you made the right one. As excited as I am for FFXIII nothing beats MH for me. Favorite game ever.

Yea, I only have the money for one of them, and I figured I would rather support Capcom's decision to have MHTri on the Wii.

But I'll grab FFXIII later in the year, after Nintendo's early year zurg rush is finished.

and yes, Sunday means Pokemon day. :D

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Finally, The Calling. Game's been looking promising for quite some time.
    Hopefully I can actually see some decent reviews before the EU release next week.

Xagarath on
  • RericReric Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Picking up FF13 tonight! Question for those familiar with Gamestop midnight releases. The text I got says I have to be there at 10 to pay for it and then pick it up at 12:01, am I basically stuck sitting around the parking lot for 2 hours, or can I actually show up at say 11:30 pay for it and hen get the game at 12:01?

Reric on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2010
    You don't have to pay in advance, but they'd like you to.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm getting Final Fantasy 13. That's it for me.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'll give Scrap Metal a go, if the demo is any good.

Fuck Final Fantasy XIII - I've got Viva Pinata : Trouble in Paradise to play.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Yellow RangerYellow Ranger Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Final Fantasy XIII and Yakuza 3 in the same week? Damn. AND Megaman 10?

That's more then I should spend, but that's sure as hell never stopped me before.

Yellow Ranger on
    sigcx.jpg
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    FFXIII, but I won't get to it until after God of War 3.

Renzo on
  • brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Hopefully I can actually see some decent reviews before the EU release next week.

You should perhaps watch the Giant Bomb quick look of The Calling...I found it....let's go with interesting.

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-calling-demo/17-1839/

I'm buying FF XIII on both platforms. I'm weirdly hyped for that game.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Reric wrote: »
    Picking up FF13 tonight! Question for those familiar with Gamestop midnight releases. The text I got says I have to be there at 10 to pay for it and then pick it up at 12:01, am I basically stuck sitting around the parking lot for 2 hours, or can I actually show up at say 11:30 pay for it and hen get the game at 12:01?

I don't know where you live, but you don't have to be there that early to get out of there reasonably early. If you showed up at 11:30 to pay and wait in line and everything, you'll be fine.

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    brynstar wrote: »
    Xagarath wrote: »

You should perhaps watch the Giant Bomb quick look of The Calling...I found it....let's go with interesting.

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-calling-demo/17-1839/

Gives off quite a Penumbra vibe.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So no chance of getting Yakuza for Xbox 360, right? Is it Sony second party or something? Don't really know much about it, but the way some people around here rave about it I am mighty interested. The term 3rd person beat-em-up makes me excited.

What Xenogears said. Only chance of it being ported is if the 360 suddenly starts selling millions in Japan, so slim chance in hell really. If you've got a PS2 I recommend you check out Yakuza 1 and 2 (though Yakuza 2 is a far superior game than 1), they won't look as good as Yakuza 3 but they're still awesome games.

Anyway, my copy of FFXIII arrived a couple of hours ago. No time to start playing it, I've got to go to the cricket.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So, my husband and I have been digging co-op gaming with Borderlands recently but we're probably going to be done with play through 1 shortly and we're thinking about doing something else before we fire up play through 2. I've always been a huge RE fan, but skipped 5 as I heard it wasn't any good single player and my TV at the time was tiny and not good for co-op. So, should I pick up RE 5 for co-op goodness with the hubby or will it disappoint me utterly?

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
    edited March 2010
    It could potentially do both at the same time!

Xenogears of Bore on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It could potentially do both at the same time!

Agreed. RE5 was fun co-op, but it was also disappointing after the greatness that was RE4.

RainbowDespair on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I've mentioned it a couple of other places but I figure I should do it again. The PS3 version's the only one with the DLC actually included on the disc, whereas the 360 version is just packaged with a couple of DLC codes. So 360 owners may be better off just finding a cheap copy of the original RE5 release and buying the DLC seperately.

At least this seems a reasonable way of getting around the necessity of making the DLC available on PSN. And maybe it couldn't fit on a single disc and it wasn't worth the effort of printing a second one.

Still, it's always better to do the math to see with version is the most efficient.

And is anybody who is not a pre- or early-teen girl who buys the Imagine DS game going to be automatically registered as a sex offender? As if the name alone doesn't make me cringe at the thought of just seeing a copy on a shelf somewhere.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I've been having a really hard time deciding whether to get FFXIII or not. I want to play it, but I'm concerned about the things I've heard making the game just too foreign for my tastes. /boggle

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The next 7 or 8 days have to be the most insane in recent memory:

FFXIII, Yakuza 3, RE5:Gold, God of War 3, Dragon Age: Awakening, Metro 2033, Resonance of Fate, Infinite Space, Pokemon, Fragile Dreams, and Command & Conquer 4 all release within the span of a week.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID