As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Get Out Of Here Before This [Mass Effect] Thread Blows! Run!

1565758596062»

• KasanagiKasanagi Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So, completed Horizon with my Insane Chargin' Vanguard (I'll stick to ICV for short).

Not NEARLY as hard as I was expecting it to be. I brought miranda and jack, knowing that there were going to be a lot of barriers. Gotta say though, without warp ammo jack is actually pretty terrible against any defense type. Shockwave is only good for the stagger, pull is useless unless you've punched through their defense, and does she even get warp?

Oh well, shockwave spam went a long way towards the husks. I died a few times to the scions (I die a few times on EVERY mission so far, getting better as I learn when not to charge), but I decided that instead of trying to work around the scions, I'd alternate charges on em. Charge one, run back shotgunnin while it does the little AOE attack, then charge the other, and repeat. It somehow worked, though between charges my health got down to 30%. Praetorian was just a case of playing keep away, both him from me, and him and me from the squad. Went through most of my ammo and all my HW ammo, but it finally went down. Total death count was less than grunt's recruit mission (currently my worst) and about the same as freedom's progress (used to be my worst before grunt's).

I should qualify this by saying I've modified my coalesced.ini file. Nothing game breaking, just cut out the game startup movies, and made my "storm" duration infinite. As a charger, I rarely use the sprint/storm button, so it's really just for the convenience of being able to run around omega, the citadel, and ilium.

Kasanagi on
    steam_sig.png
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Corehealer wrote: »
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    What is it with people and Aria? She is really a very minor character.

So are Conrad, Guy who can't get his money back, Volus Biotic God, and Blasto.

Your point?

I wish Blasto was a character you could meet. Sigh...

Hell...I wish he was a party member in ME3...>_>

Dragkonias on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Enbot wrote: »
    You missed so much awesome without Grunt. Not just his character but his loyalty mission.

And that renegade interrupt.
    What kind madman leaves Grunt in the box? He's amazing.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Cloudman wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Personally I like Aria the best of all the Asari. She's got the coolest outfit, and Carrie-Ann Moss did her voicework and she did a great job. I was actually disappointed with how little she was used in ME2 for how big a name they had voicing her.

Really? I thought her voicework was pretty bad, personally. The Don't Fuck With Aria line was decent but other then that she didn't interest me at all.

I liked the bartender on Illium though, she had a lot of backstory for such a minor character.

I couldn't hear Carrie Anne Moss in the voice of Aria at all. Is it really her?

Dhalphir on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    sigh for starting a new character who still needs to research all the heavy weapons

probe away

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • EtherealEthereal Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Cloudman wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Personally I like Aria the best of all the Asari. She's got the coolest outfit, and Carrie-Ann Moss did her voicework and she did a great job. I was actually disappointed with how little she was used in ME2 for how big a name they had voicing her.

Really? I thought her voicework was pretty bad, personally. The Don't Fuck With Aria line was decent but other then that she didn't interest me at all.

I liked the bartender on Illium though, she had a lot of backstory for such a minor character.

I really liked her voice work. Also, it seems likely that she's the Asari commando Wrex fought against way back when (which is awesome if you recall Wrex's story). It's pretty unlikely she'll be a squadmate in ME3, but I guess you never know.

Ethereal on
  • VicktorVicktor Infidel Castro Rancho ChupacabraRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Dox the PI wrote: »
    Chuck Norris
    Superman
    Satan
    Garrus
    But... you can already have both Zaeed and Garrus in your squad.

Vicktor on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: Viycktor
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Dyscord wrote: »
    sigh for starting a new character who still needs to research all the heavy weapons

probe away

ME2 should have had an achievement called "NO MORE DAMN RESOURCES!"

Where you get +1000000 to all resources on every new playthrough.

You get it for beating the game.

Dragkonias on
  • Ad astraAd astra Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    They let you punch, and or shoot so many people. However, out of all the people in the game, that jerkass mechanic on Horizon was one of the ones I wanted to punch the most, but alas there was no option to.

Ad astra on
  • Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Oh shit
    Someone has to make a new thread soon D:

and Thane is just a walking Ninja referance isn't he8-)

Dox the PI on
    edited March 2010
    Ad astra wrote: »
    They let you punch, and or shoot so many people. However, out of all the people in the game, that jerkass mechanic on Horizon was one of the ones I wanted to punch the most, but alas there was no option to.

I was trying to see if it was a way for him to leave out with you so he could die.

There wasn't.

Dragkonias on
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Man, the one I wanted to punch the most was Aria.

I really wanted to show that bitch what was what.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Man, the one I wanted to punch the most was Aria.

I really wanted to show that bitch what was what.

Don't fuck with Shepard.

Orca on
    edited March 2010
    I was fine with Aria for the most part, she got lippy but was cool overall.

Now, her Batarian bodyguard...fucker.

Dragkonias on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    153.jpg

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I was fine with Aria for the most part, she got lippy but was cool overall.

Now, her Batarian bodyguard...fucker.

That's why you threaten him that you're going to show the inside of his colon the first time he tried to scan you.
    It was fun on how meekly he was waiting for Aria to say something before trying to scan you again.

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
    edited March 2010
    Arde wrote: »
    What class are you using? Horizon was pretty straightforward as a vanguard.

Engineer.
    I forgot about my drone ability entirely, so I had no tanking, which meant it was me, with my pistol, running in circles dodging twin scion shockwaves, and throwing an incinerate into the face of a pursuing husk until they were all down and I could start in on the scions. Since a pair of shockwaves would shred shields and then murder me, it wasn't pretty. The preceding courtyard fight also sucked. Without the drone, I had little to slow the advance of Harbinger+Scion. Miranda and Grunt weren't holding the line, either. Definitely a rough learning experience.

Yeah, tough fight as an engineer there - heck, most of the scion/husks fights are tough as an engineer overall (have fun getting raped ass raw with IFF reaper).
    Just be sure to spam that pretty drone of yours every single time and use incinerate or squadmate ability to take down the armor.
    And run around - never ever stay in one place since the husks will love to swarm you to a death orgy.

Luckily, it takes the scions quite a while to kill the love-able drone.

And if you need to, cheat by killing the first scion by spamming incinerate and heavy weapons by not going down the stairs once the door opens. It's cheap, but it saves you your hair.

Arde on

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Did anybody else notice your teammates constantly teleporting around?

It was usually really well hidden but it got weird when your teammates were, like, stuck at the bottom of a hill, you turn around, hit c, and suddenly they're RIGHT BEHIND YOU OH GOD

Jintor on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    153.jpg

Simple, but effective.

DarkPrimus on
  • isndlisndl Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Teleportation is a common trick these days to make up for terrible bot pathfinding. In ME2 it's also used when bots are stuck behind those doors that auto-lock behind you.

isndl on
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    At some point in the future, Jason Voorhees quits being a serial killer and cashes in on his ability to inexplicably catch up to people.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    that mission to investigate the crashed freighter, Estevanico or whatever...that mission took me at least six or seven tries.

Not only could you not quicksave during the entire mission (fuck you Bioware, fuck YOU), but it was full of the invisible terrain bugs that plague the entire game and cause you to walk up into midair and be unable to get down.

Dhalphir on
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    isndl wrote: »
    Teleportation is a common trick these days to make up for terrible bot pathfinding. In ME2 it's also used when bots are stuck behind those doors that auto-lock behind you.

Frankly it's the right approach to the problem IMO.

electricitylikesme on
    edited March 2010
    speaking ofdoors.

Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 both suffered hugely from this problem.

There seems to be three varieties of door in the games.

1) Doors that open automatically as you approach. Generally you can keep running without breaking stride and you can go right through

2) Doors that you have to activate. Generally you have to stop at activation range, wait a second or so, then go through, otherwise you just end up against the door waiting for it to open.

3) Doors that you have to activate that inexplicably take 4-5 seconds longer than some doors to open.

Seriously, what the fuck? All doors should be able to be opened and gone through without having to wait for them to open. Sure, maybe its a small thing, but its also a small thing to get right, and it serves no purpose except annoyance.

Dhalphir on
    edited March 2010
    yeah, squad mate teleportation can be a life saver, or instant death for them in the case of my vanguard. Specific example:

jack's recruitment, probably the 3rd major fight area. As you enter the cell block, there are 2 troopers on the lower level behind cover, and two troopers on the upper level moving into position to fire on you. Everytime I charged up to the top guys and killed them, I would turn to kill the other two (charging down to them) and by the time I charged down there, one of my squad mates was up where I was just fighting the first pair of troopers. Unfortunately, moments later another blue suns group spawns, and whoever was unfortunately teleported up there dies almost instantly due to lack of sufficient cover.

I really wish my squad mates did a better job of staying alive. I've got my hands full keeping myself alive while effectively killing guys, it's terrible when I have to micromanage them too. In this regard, horizon was wonderful because there was multi-sided cover EVERYWHERE. It really helped the uncommonly ignorant squad AI to not get killed instantly, and I could charge constantly without having to worry if there was cover nearby.

Kasanagi on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2010
    I find horizon easier with a vanguard than any of the other classes I've used strangely (infil, adept, engineer).

Arde on

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    speaking ofdoors.

Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 both suffered hugely from this problem.

There seems to be three varieties of door in the games.

1) Doors that open automatically as you approach. Generally you can keep running without breaking stride and you can go right through

2) Doors that you have to activate. Generally you have to stop at activation range, wait a second or so, then go through, otherwise you just end up against the door waiting for it to open.

3) Doors that you have to activate that inexplicably take 4-5 seconds longer than some doors to open.

Seriously, what the fuck? All doors should be able to be opened and gone through without having to wait for them to open. Sure, maybe its a small thing, but its also a small thing to get right, and it serves no purpose except annoyance.

It's hidden loading Dhalphir. The door doesn't load till the room on the other side has been loaded and textured. Hence the discrepancy - bigger rooms load slower. It's the reason those corridors exist as well.

electricitylikesme on
  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Jintor wrote: »
    Did anybody else notice your teammates constantly teleporting around?

It was usually really well hidden but it got weird when your teammates were, like, stuck at the bottom of a hill, you turn around, hit c, and suddenly they're RIGHT BEHIND YOU OH GOD

yes..I noticed it pretty early because the 360 version at least had it where teammates would get stuck far behind..so

"Oh hey Jacob"

Egos on
    edited March 2010
    Arde wrote: »
    I find horizon easier with a vanguard than any of the other classes I've used strangely (infil, adept, engineer).

Yeah. Basically. Though I've never had much trouble with Horizon.

Those platforms though...damn do I hate them.

They were a bit easier on my infil through, since I could cloak and run like a bitch.

Dragkonias on
    edited March 2010
    We're almost out of thread, I recommend the next thread be "Ah yes, [Mass Effect Thread]s..."

Kasanagi on
    steam_sig.png
  • JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    My vote's going for "I've had enough of your [Mass Effect Thread]"

Jintor on
  • MisterBibsMisterBibs Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Jintor wrote: »
    My vote's going for "I've had enough of your [Mass Effect Thread]"

I second this notion.

MisterBibs on

kolforumsigpa.gif
    Furu wrote:
    I like that Atrocitus genuinely wants to help save the universe...In the angriest manner possible.
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Kasanagi wrote: »
    We're almost out of thread, I recommend the next thread be "Ah yes, [Mass Effect Thread]s..."

My name is Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite thread title in the Citadel.

Orca on
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Come to me, oh Blue Rose of [Mass Effect Thread].

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    "Now that's an enticing [Mass Effect Thread]"

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    100 pages.

New thread using the title that won the vote I held in my brain.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • KwornKworn Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    How can shepherd die near the end?

Kworn on