As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This is the [Droid] you're looking for - $199 with 2-year Contract, hits 11/6

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Evigilant wrote: »
    So I did the amazon $50 deal. Got the phone, and just had the best customer service interaction ever.

While activating the phone it took me to talk to a rep, who told me what to do. After the phone activates he calls me back to make sure things are working correctly then asks if I'm in the military.

"Yes."

"Why aren't you getting the discount?"

"I wasn't aware there was a discount."

And then he walks me through getting the %15 military discount for the service. Most excellent.

I get 20% off from where I work :P. Pretty much everyone should check with their cell company and see if there's a discount for their company - if you work for a big company or government, there will almost certainly be some kind of discount. Sprint will give you 10% off pretty much just for breathing, for example.

a5ehren on
  • sinnsinn Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So my wife and I got BOGO Droids yesterday. I would love to say that it is so much better than my old WinMo 6.1 phone, but I can't. The Droid is so far ahead of my old phone that the two devices cannot be directly compared. In fact they are so disparate they would likely annihilate one another like matter and antimatter if they were placed too close together.

Everything just seems to flow intuitively. I really can't stop grinning every time I use it. I've played with the iPhone and almost got a 3G when they came out, and while I liked it very much, the Droid just feels so much more right.

sinn on
    He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past.
  • MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Is there a known cut off for the 50 dollar dear from Amazon? I wanna grab the phone but I'm going on a trip in a couple weeks so I'd like to wait till I get back from that first.

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    MoSiAc wrote: »
    Is there a known cut off for the 50 dollar dear from Amazon? I wanna grab the phone but I'm going on a trip in a couple weeks so I'd like to wait till I get back from that first.

It doesn't look like there's a date listed on the Amazon deal. However, Walmart also has it for $50, and Bestbuy has it for $100. I'm in a similar situation as you (not quite able to upgrade yet), and I keep hoping that at least one of these deals will still be floating around.

rndmhero on
  • CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ok, so my Droid is acting up, and I can not figure out why

1. When I go to put it in sleep mode, sometimes it will shut itself off. I just tap the button to lock it, but instead it will go into full shutdown mode. Likewise, I will just let it go to sleep by itself, and it will instead shut off. Twice now it's shut off int he middle of the night, which is kind of a pain when you need the alarm.

2. Sometimes, when I plug it in to charge (either wall or car charger) it iwll give me a strange error messgae along the lines of "connect charger" and the battery symbol with x out and when I unplug it, it gives me an additional error message. In addition, soemtimes when I'm browsing the internet, my battery symbol will show a grey question mark, and will not go away unless I power off the phone.

3. The lcd light on the upper right (on the front, under the power switch) isn't flashing. This wouldn't concern me, expect my wife has the same model droid, and her lcd light flashes.

Enlighten me please.

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    1 and 2 might be related to a bad battery connection, but I really have no idea.

3. The flashing light is a new message (text, voice, email) indicator. Seems like your wife doesn't check her messages enough, or is just more popular than you. :-)

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So I got the Droid and I'm really liking it. In fact I'm using it right now to type this.

Had a question though, how do make it show the normal webpage instead of the mobile version? Some webpages have the option on them but others don't. And entering the address just keeps diverting it to the mobile version.

Apostate on
  • Michael HMichael H Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    JAEF wrote: »
    That is the saddest.

As a followup, it turned out to be the phone. My coworker has a Droid, and he was getting web access while sitting right next to me. The same thing happened when my wife and I were at the mall - her Droid would have 3G access and mine wouldn't. It worked some places and not others.

They tried updating my PLR settings, wiping my phone, and trying to tell me that having too many apps open at once could cause an issue, but in the end I ended up getting my Droid replaced with a new one.

Now it works! Whee! I always have at least 1x while I'm at work, which makes me a happy panda.

Michael H on
  • gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Apostate wrote: »
    So I got the Droid and I'm really liking it. In fact I'm using it right now to type this.

Had a question though, how do make it show the normal webpage instead of the mobile version? Some webpages have the option on them but others don't. And entering the address just keeps diverting it to the mobile version.
    Yeah, unfortunately that's just bad web design. You could email the webmaster/designer and suggest that they offer an option.

On second thought, they probably redirect based on the User Agent ID sent by the browser. There's usually a way to change that on desktop browsers, so you can make it look like you're using a different browser. It'd theoretically be possible to get around mobile-version redirects that way. A casual google search didn't turn up an easy way to do it, though.

Might be a decent app idea for people more entrepreneurial/less lazy than me. ;P

gilrain on
  • Michael HMichael H Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    gilrain wrote: »

Yeah, unfortunately that's just bad web design. You could email the webmaster/designer and suggest that they offer an option.

On second thought, they probably redirect based on the User Agent ID sent by the browser. There's usually a way to change that on desktop browsers, so you can make it look like you're using a different browser. It'd theoretically be possible to get around mobile-version redirects that way. A casual google search didn't turn up an easy way to do it, though.

Might be a decent app idea for people more entrepreneurial/less lazy than me. ;P

I've read that different browsers, specifically Dolphin, allow you check a box or use a "Desktop" mode that won't send you to the mobile version of a page automatically.

Edit: I just tried this and it worked. Dolphin seems pretty pokey, but it gets the job done if you want to get to normal websites. Under settings the default client is "Android", and you can set it to "Desktop" or "iPhone".

Michael H on
  • CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    1 and 2 might be related to a bad battery connection, but I really have no idea.

3. The flashing light is a new message (text, voice, email) indicatheor. Seems like your wife doesn't check her messages enough, or is just more popular tchan you. :-)

I manually reset the battery and it seems to work better. Maybe just a bad connection.

New query: I am looking for a multimedia docketing station with built in speakers attatched for work. The verizon model is nice, but no built-in speakers. Any advice?

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
    edited March 2010
    Michael H wrote: »

I've read that different browsers, specifically Dolphin, allow you check a box or use a "Desktop" mode that won't send you to the mobile version of a page automatically.

Edit: I just tried this and it worked. Dolphin seems pretty pokey, but it gets the job done if you want to get to normal websites. Under settings the default client is "Android", and you can set it to "Desktop" or "iPhone".

I dl'd the dolphin app. Works well enough. I just choose the dolphin browser when I need to hit those websites. Thanks!

And your right it pretty pokey. It does have the iphone zoom feature though.

Apostate on
    edited March 2010
    I dl'd the dolphin app. Works well enough. I just choose the dolphin browser when I need to hit those websites. Thanks!

And your right it pretty pokey. It does have the iphone zoom feature though.

I really like that it does tabs, with the slide switching between open pages

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    edited March 2010
    So has anyone else had problems getting media player to synch with the droid? I did the whole mount thing and can manually move files to and from the Droid, but it never shows up in the sync with device in WMP. Is there some other prefered way to do it with Android?

Apostate on
  • HooverFanHooverFan NCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So has anyone else had problems getting media player to synch with the droid? I did the whole mount thing and can manually move files to and from the Droid, but it never shows up in the sync with device in WMP. Is there some other prefered way to do it with Android?

Make sure it's the same format the iphone/itouch uses and then just drag and drop...

HooverFan on
    BNet profile: HooverFish#1668
    PSN: HooverFanPA
    Steam: HooverFan
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Drag and drop. Media player will automatically organize files based on tag data.

JAEF on
    edited March 2010
    I was using DoubleTwist (on Mac) to sync. It sucked. I got much better results just dragging and dropping. Only think I miss from that was easy playlist syncing.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    edited March 2010
    Ok maybe I didn't explain it well. I'm using Win 7 and windows media player has a tab that says synch. When you hit that tab it shows the device you want to sych with, how much space it has, etc. My last smartphone would showup when I plugged it in to the USB. I then could drag and drop whatever I wanted in there. But when I hook up the droid it doesn't show up. The drive is listed and I can manually go to the folders and copy files into it, but windows media player is not seeing it.

Does it just not work with windows media player or is something else going on? And if it doesn't is there another player out there that will synch with the droid? Thanks.

Apostate on
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ok maybe I didn't explain it well. I'm using Win 7 and windows media player has a tab that says synch. When you hit that tab it shows the device you want to sych with, how much space it has, etc. My last smartphone would showup when I plugged it in to the USB. I then could drag and drop whatever I wanted in there. But when I hook up the droid it doesn't show up. The drive is listed and I can manually go to the folders and copy files into it, but windows media player is not seeing it.

Does it just not work with windows media player or is something else going on? And if it doesn't is there another player out there that will synch with the droid? Thanks.

Android doesn't support MTP, and your last smartphone probably did.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
    edited March 2010
    Barrakketh wrote: »

So what media player do people recommend to synch with?

Apostate on
  • gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I think most of us are just copying our music over manually. I do, anyway. It's not much trouble. Just drag and drop the root folder of your library. The media player on your phone will detect and list them nicely automatically, no muss no fuss.

gilrain on
  • finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Has anyone here bought the Droid on Telus here in Canada? I'm living in Ontario currently, and I really, really need a smartphone (I'm in university and my current phone is a RAZR on Rogers that is 5 years old). Rogers is offering me a hardware upgrade but their smartphone selection is terrible. Problem is, my entire family is on Rogers and my Dad is unwilling to switch from it. I've heard many bad things about Telus, too, but at least they have a decent phone selection.

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
    edited March 2010
    I think most of us are just copying our music over manually. I do, anyway. It's not much trouble. Just drag and drop the root folder of your library. The media player on your phone will detect and list them nicely automatically, no muss no fuss.

You might try DoubleTwist. It will sync with the Droid, but I found it (Mac) to be buggy. You might have better luck on Win

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • kleinfehnkleinfehn Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Anyone hear of this deal with Verizon to upgrade to a Droid for $50? I already have an account and am in need of a new phone and I am not sure what the a catch is here.

Link: http://wireless.amazon.com/Motorola-A855-Android-Verizon-Wireless/dp/B002UUTCKC/ref=bs_dp_ph_1

kleinfehn on
    edited March 2010
    kleinfehn wrote: »
    Anyone hear of this deal with Verizon to upgrade to a Droid for $50? I already have an account and am in need of a new phone and I am not sure what the a catch is here.

Link: http://wireless.amazon.com/Motorola-A855-Android-Verizon-Wireless/dp/B002UUTCKC/ref=bs_dp_ph_1

It was posted a couple of pages back. A lot of the third party vendors (Best Buy, Walmart) have pretty sweet deals like that right now. You have to sign a new two year contract, which means you have to be either a new customer or a customer whose current contract has expired and would be eligible for an upgrade through Verizon anyways.

rndmhero on
  • kleinfehnkleinfehn Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ah, I would have to check my account then. Have the mentioned when the deal is over? I know Amazon says at the end of the month but I can't find a date with other websites.

kleinfehn on
    edited March 2010
    It looks like Verizon has released some new info on the elusive Android 2.1 update.
    Verizon wrote:
    Enhancements:
    • Pinch-to-zoom is now available when using the browser, Gallery, and Google Maps.
    • New Weather and News application plus widget. The Weather and News app pulls the information you want from theWeb and brings it to your fingertips. You get weekly and hourly weather forecasts based on your location, and news headlines.
    • New support for voice-to-text entry. Whenever a text-entry box appears, simply tap the microphone icon on the virtual keyboard and speak.
    • New Gallery application with 3D layout. View and share photos taken with your phone and images from your online Picasa Web albums.
    • Live Wallpapers offer richer animated, interactive backgrounds on the home screen. Access them with a long press anywhere on the home screen. Tap Wallpapers, then Live Wallpapers.

Improvements:
    • Free Yahoo!® Mail is now supported-simply sign in with your Yahoo! email address and password
    • Google Maps update − Personalized suggestions and synchronized starring with desktop maps.google.com. Starred items are stored and synced automatically between Google Maps on your device and maps.google.com on your computer, making it easy to search for places you've searched for before.
    • New night mode in Google Maps Navigation automatically changes the screen at night for easier viewing.
    • Improved pattern-lock functionality.
    • Improved handset audio when disconnecting a wired headset.
    • Email accounts no longer need to be re-entered after an over-the-air update.

Looks pretty good all around, even if no release date has been set.

EDIT: Apparently Gizmodo is saying this is supposed to start rolling out this Thursday.

rndmhero on
  • GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yes, yes, a hundred times yes. New widgets plus LIVE WALLPAPERS. I don't care if they're pointless/waste battery/whatever. When I found out that they were taken out of the 2.1 release, I was furious. Now I'm happy that they took the extra time and included them.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
    edited March 2010
    If my mythbuntu project hadn't distracted me, I probably would have rooted my droid by now to get 2.1. This news will probably delay the rooting further.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Amazon is now selling the droid with a new plan for 25 bucks. If 50 wasn't cheap enough...

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    finallyyyyy 2.1 yayyyy

Snork on
    edited March 2010
    So come noon tomorrow is it best to have my phone on wifi or g3?

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Alright! I am officially "Off The Grid"(TM) with my droid now!

I bought one of these bad boys and just got the Asterisk back-end going. You can now call my Google Voice number and and it will ring my home phone, the gateway will pick up, and then redirect it over the internet and ring my droid if I'm in a wifi spot. If not will leave a voicemail. I can call out with it too, providing I'm in a wifi spot. Same thing but backwards. I place the call over the internet to my Asterisk server, and it goes out my home land line via the gateway. It's a completely functional phone without Verizon at all. I'm almost never outside a wifi spot so it's pure awesome.

911 works without service, so I have emergencies covered, and in a pinch, can complete a call using a phone card/credit card via an operator. That's like mad $$$ so it's a last resort thing.

halkun on
  • Epyon9283Epyon9283 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

They're only rolling it out to a small number of test users tomorrow. Hopefully one of them will post the update.zip online. That's how I updated to 2.0.1 when it first came out.

Epyon9283 on
  • darkphoenix22darkphoenix22 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Barrakketh wrote: »

So what media player do people recommend to synch with?

Banshee works great on Linux and will let you use your Android phone like an iPod.

darkphoenix22 on
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Epyon9283 wrote: »

They're only rolling it out to a small number of test users tomorrow. Hopefully one of them will post the update.zip online. That's how I updated to 2.0.1 when it first came out.
    It's a timed rollout (just like last time) which means several thousand in the morning, several thousand more in the afternoon, everyone late night Thursday or early Friday.

JAEF on
  • HooverFanHooverFan NCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    JAEF wrote: »
    Epyon9283 wrote: »

It's a timed rollout (just like last time) which means several thousand in the morning, several thousand more in the afternoon, everyone late night Thursday or early Friday.

Nope... try 1,000 tomorrow afternoon... exactly 1,000 and if that test group works out ok, then they'll expand it tomorrow night little by little every 24 hours, although by that point it should be available as a download on verizon's support website for manual upgrade. (hopefully)

http://www.androidcentral.com/latest-motorola-droid-android-21-update

Also, Maps has already updated to version 4.1

http://www.androidcentral.com/google-maps-update-version-41-brings-acct-switching

HooverFan on
    BNet profile: HooverFish#1668
    PSN: HooverFanPA
    Steam: HooverFan
  • DesertBoxDesertBox Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So I haven't seen this anywhere, but is the Droid getting the 5 home screens that is standard on Android 2.1? As opposed to the Droid's 3?

DesertBox on
    edited March 2010
    And will the camera suck less?

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Epyon9283Epyon9283 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    DesertBox wrote: »
    So I haven't seen this anywhere, but is the Droid getting the 5 home screens that is standard on Android 2.1? As opposed to the Droid's 3?

No. Still stuck at 3.

Epyon9283 on