As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

OSX Snow Leopard question

verbelverbel Registered User regular
I have a question for those of you running Snow Leopard. I am currently running Leopard and am curious if I will notice much of a difference if I were to upgrade. The cost is not allot so I may do it just cause, but getting it to my current location is kinda a pain. Any advice would be appreciated. My Mac is a 2.4 Core 2 Duo with 4Gb of memory.

steam_sig.png
verbel on

• WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I've found it runs quite a bit faster. It's got the same interface with a few small improvements, but the main thing is the added speed. The improvements include things like being able to play movies in their icons so you don't have to open the file to see what it is, that kind of thing.

Wezoin on
  • Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The little things really do add up, and the extra space is always welcome.

Nimble Cat on
  • corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I found it quite a lot quicker. And the shiny new animations are subtle but pleasant.

The main difference I noticed was that Excel could finally cope with images and complex stuff. Grand Central ftw.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • DigDug2000DigDug2000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    verbel wrote: »
    I have a question for those of you running Snow Leopard. I am currently running Leopard and am curious if I will notice much of a difference if I were to upgrade. The cost is not allot so I may do it just cause, but getting it to my current location is kinda a pain. Any advice would be appreciated. My Mac is a 2.4 Core 2 Duo with 4Gb of memory.
    I did the upgrade on our MacBook a week or two ago, mostly 'cause I was in the store and figured it wasn't that expensive. My wife mainly uses the Mac though, and doesn't seem to have noticed anything since, speed-wise or feature-wise. I think she was actually a bit angry that I put her through any risk of having to reinstall programs, or data for pretty much nothing. To be honest, I really don't notice anything either without explicitly looking for it, but its nice to know that we won't be running an unsupported OS for a few more years.

DigDug2000 on
  • physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Boot up and shutdown speeds are improved. I particularly notice the shutdown speed (it's lightning fast!). You get back about 6 GB of hard disk space, too. Plus, there are a lot of tiny improvements everywhere in the OS. I don't notice them day to day, but whenever I go back to Leopard, I wish I were on Snow Leopard. Since the update is so cheap, I'd recommend to get it. Just make sure your apps are all compatible with Snow Leopard, so you don't have any nasty surprises.

physi_marc on
    3DS Friend Code: 3952-7043-7606
    Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    How much room would I be able to expect if I upgraded from Tiger?

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • verbelverbel Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I think I will just pick it up when i get the chance. Thanks for everyones reply's

verbel on
    steam_sig.png