As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Lost Season 6] Ben Linus Coffee-Rant Appreciation Thread [SPOILERS]

• Options
    omega71omega71 Too old for a title, too ornery to care. Sacramento, CaliRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    This must mean that Jacob touched Michael at some point.

He couldn't kill himself in any way. The bomb was the work of Ben/Keamy.

I'm wondering if we'll see anything relating to this.

I was thinking the same thing..
    It explains why Jin didnt die in the explosion, or why Sun didnt die when she was impregnated on the island, or how Hurleys VWs just started before crashing to its doom, etc etc.. It seems EVERYONE is immune to suicide or self harm if that makes sense

Edited for stupid browser probs

omega71 on
  • Options
    TheSuperWootTheSuperWoot Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Woohoo, one of my favorite episodes of LOST ever!

TheSuperWoot on
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So yeah. I'm going to be very, very sad when this season is over. Fox and Emerson acted the hell out of this episode. The script was damn solid, but the delivery of the two key lines "So, wanna try another stick?" (Jack finally accepting his role that he's a major player and can change things) and "Noone else will have me" (Basically the closest Ben will ever be able to come to ask for forgiveness).

But seriously.

Sitting down with a stick of lit dynamite and a guy that wanted to die.

Jack obviously went to Disneyland in both realities to have a matching set of these:
    epcot1.jpg

Mvrck on
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Jack took Sayid's mystery pill too. Dude doesn't give a fuck.

Sam on
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Best bit of Emerson acting, besides the talk with Illyana:
    When he was blackmailing the principal - despite the silly way that it ended - he was totally island Ben. He was in pure devious, calculating mode, and it really stood out from the rest of teacher Ben. It was like he flipped a switch. I was actually afraid that he would end up screwing Alex over, and I'm glad that he didn't go that way.

elevature on
  • Options
    RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ahh, that was such a good episode.

"Because he's the only one that will have me"

Someone brought his A-game for this episode.

RhalloTonny on
    !
  • Options
    PeonUPeonU Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    When Miles Said "Uh Oh" to Ben maybe laugh out loud for a long time. Don't know why.

PeonU on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

I want to nominate that line for the best in the series. Can we do that? Because it was delivered so damn well I nearly teared up.

And I think Richard was losing faith, but Jack helped him restore it. Jack appears to finally get that he has things he's supposed to do, and destiny is keeping him alive till he does them at least.

Also the whole "Jacob's touch makes you invincible" thing is interesting. Cause you're clearly not THAT invincible. Other people can kill you (I.e, ben's dad shoots Sayid) and remember "Dave" trying to get Hurley to off himself? BEFORE Jacob touched Hurley? Craziness.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Andrew_Jay wrote: »
    You'd think a blackmailer would have a little more power than that. Hell, I'd make him write a glowing letter of recommendation in front of me and leave her another $1000 graduation gift.
    Yeah, shouldn't his response have been "okay, sure, I'm blackmailing you for that too".

For a second I thought that's what had happened when he was in the office and she came by talking about the letter.

But Ben's story was just so amusing. Trying to stage a coup at a high school. He never changes.

And looking forward to what happens with the S.S. Widmore.

That stuff drove me a bit crazy. A really false note in an otherwise great episode.

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I was fairly sure the Principle was implying that if Ben went through with that, allegations that Ben was somehow molesting Alex would come out. Though Ben's decision has a little less impact that way I think.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Smocke's offer to Ben was funny though. Join my team and I'll let you be imaginary leader of a deserted island populated only by you and your imaginary friends and a bunch of corpses.

Sam on
  • Options
    HilleanHillean Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sam wrote: »
    Smocke's offer to Ben was funny though. Join my team and I'll let you be imaginary leader of a deserted island populated only by you and your imaginary friends and a bunch of corpses.

Like everyone else, he was trying to give him what he wanted--his old power, his old position back.

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sam wrote: »

What could be the more perfect time to get in some nude sunbathing on the white sandy beaches? No one's around for miles except the polar bears.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I agree that the bit between Ben and the principal could have been explained better.
    If a blackmailer exercises his power, he loses his leverage and, thus, loses his ability to get anything of value. As such, all a blackmailer can really do is ask for the single thing he wants most. After that, when presented with the option of getting smaller items, he'll fold when the blackmailed person threatens to go to the cops instead. That smaller item is by definition worth less than the larger item, and so the blackmailer won't jeopardize the larger item just to increase his pay day.

In this case, if the principal resigned and wrote Alex a shitty recommendation, Ben wouldn't have had any power as a blackmailer. He couldn't release the e-mails without the principal then being in a position to reveal he was blackmailed, thus costing Ben his position as principal as well. Even then, Alex doesn't get a recommendation.

That said, if the person who is being blackmailed is really weak, then you can potentially get everything you want. The principal wasn't, though.

In any case, Ben was clearly happier "doing the right thing" by Alex than he would have been as principal. He gained less materially, but it was his greatest emotional victory for the entire series. This furthers the belief that the sideways flashes represent the wish-fulfillment of the characters, perhaps through Jacob and the closing events of the series, and will not figure into the main plot.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I agree that the bit between Ben and the principal could have been explained better.
    If a blackmailer exercises his power, he loses his leverage and, thus, loses his ability to get anything of value. As such, all a blackmailer can really do is ask for the single thing he wants most. After that, when presented with the option of getting smaller items, he'll fold when the blackmailed person threatens to go to the cops instead. That smaller item is by definition worth less than the larger item, and so the blackmailer won't jeopardize the larger item just to increase his pay day.

In this case, if the principal resigned and wrote Alex a shitty recommendation, Ben wouldn't have had any power as a blackmailer. He couldn't release the e-mails without the principal then being in a position to reveal he was blackmailed, thus costing Ben his position as principal as well. Even then, Alex doesn't get a recommendation.

That said, if the person who is being blackmailed is really weak, then you can potentially get everything you want. The principal wasn't, though.

In any case, Ben was clearly happier "doing the right thing" by Alex than he would have been as principal. He gained less materially, but it was his greatest emotional victory for the entire series. This furthers the belief that the sideways flashes represent the wish-fulfillment of the characters, perhaps through Jacob and the closing events of the series, and will not figure into the main plot.

I was under the impression that Ben got what he wanted.
    Not the principal job, obviously, but he didn't really want the job. He wanted the power of the job. By not forcing the principal out of his position, Ben gets to keep on leveraging his blackmail. As long as the principal is in danger of being fired if his secret is found out, Ben can keep twisting him for whatever he wants. A glowing recommendation letter for Alex. Someone else to run detention. Maybe some new smocks for the science lab.

When he was the leader of the Others on the island, Ben's power was always more about persuasion, leverage, and guilt than authority. He never said, "I'm the boss, so do what I say!" Turning the principal into his puppet actually seems more in keeping with the Ben we've seen all along than if he'd gone through with his original plan.

CptHamilton on
    PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Not the principal job, obviously, but he didn't really want the job. He wanted the power of the job. By not forcing the principal out of his position, Ben gets to keep on leveraging his blackmail. As long as the principal is in danger of being fired if his secret is found out, Ben can keep twisting him for whatever he wants. A glowing recommendation letter for Alex. Someone else to run detention. Maybe some new smocks for the science lab.

When he was the leader of the Others on the island, Ben's power was always more about persuasion, leverage, and guilt than authority. He never said, "I'm the boss, so do what I say!" Turning the principal into his puppet actually seems more in keeping with the Ben we've seen all along than if he'd gone through with his original plan.

This was really all about Ben making a different choice w/r/t Alex and so it worked fine in that context. On the other hand, considering the original choice w/r/t Alex I was hoping they would have put some more effort into making it perfect. That said, most people I've talked to haven't had a problem with this.

themightypuck on
    ― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    edited March 2010

This was really all about Ben making a different choice w/r/t Alex and so it worked fine in that context. On the other hand, considering the original choice w/r/t Alex I was hoping they would have put some more effort into making it perfect. That said, most people I've talked to haven't had a problem with this.

I thought it was a quality piece of TV. And it was nice to see Ben get another shot with Alex. Of the parallel world stories so far, I thought this one was actually the most touching.

CptHamilton on
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    In retrospect, I'm only sorry we didn't see the Not-So Crazy French Lady as well. It would be nice seeing her in a venue that isn't setting traps and rambling about infections. Maybe some on-the-nose comment about all that work driving her crazy, or something.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

He doesn't have any leverage anymore.
    If he were to reveal the e-mails, he'd also be revealing that the principal wrote the recommendation under duress. The scandal would cost Alex her position at Yale, and the principal knows that Ben would never make that happen.

When the principal lets Ben out of detention duty to restart his club, it seems more out of respect for Ben and his sacrifice for Alex than anything else.

Puck: What do you mean by "more effort"? What should have been different?

Personally, I like how the alternate universe isn't making people's lives perfect, but is still giving them exactly what they want most of all.
    Jack: Moves past his relationship with his dad.

Locke: Escapes the humiliation of a dead-end job, but also accepts his limitations.

Ben: Gets to be a benevolent authority figure, find a role he belongs in.

Kate: Gets to be a perpetual fugitive, see Aaron end up off the island and with a parent who can give him a normal life.

Sayid: His lost love gets to live, and he doesn't get to be with her because he doesn't deserve her.

Dogen: Son is still alive.

Hurley: Is finally comfortable with his wealth and luck, is able to use it to help others rather than being consumed by his own misfortunate.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

He doesn't have any leverage anymore.
    If he were to reveal the e-mails, he'd also be revealing that the principal wrote the recommendation under duress. The scandal would cost Alex her position at Yale, and the principal knows that Ben would never make that happen.

When the principal lets Ben out of detention duty to restart his club, it seems more out of respect for Ben and his sacrifice for Alex than anything else.

Personally, I like how the alternate universe isn't making people's lives perfect, but is still giving them exactly what they want most of all.
    Jack: Moves past his relationship with his dad.

Locke: Escapes the humiliation of a dead-end job, but also accepts his limitations.

Ben: Gets to be a benevolent authority figure, find a role he belongs in.

Kate: Gets to be a perpetual fugitive, see Aaron end up off the island and with a parent who can give him a normal life.

Sayid: His lost love gets to live, and he doesn't get to be with her because he doesn't deserve her.

Dogen: Son is still alive.

Hurley: Is finally comfortable with his wealth and luck, is able to use it to help others rather than being consumed by his own misfortunate.
    Also:
    Ben: Alex is alive and well, and has a bright future ahead of her.

Which comes back to the point I was making last week: the main difference between the two universes is that the flash-sideway one is free of Jacob's influence. Somehow, Jacob touching these people to manipulate them to the island caused their lives to take turns for the worst. Yet people insist that Jacob must be a good guy.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2010

I suppose I'm being a bit harsh since I actually thought the episode was pretty great. It just seemed obvious that the writers were really short on time and I think it showed. The school part of this episode would seem terrible to someone not enmeshed in the Lostverse. Alex shows up at Ben's door? You can blackmail someone to become Principal at what seemed like a public school? Your principal somehow knows Alex is important to you (he'd been watching Lost). And so on. Massive writing holes that didn't really bother me because I got a great payoff. I won't lie, I got a bit misty eyed. This is the other edge of the last season sword--they really had to make Linus's redemption quick and dirty. Although I won't be convinced this is really redemption until the DVD set is in Best Buy.

themightypuck on
    ― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'd just like to point out that the flash sideways NOT being connected to the main plot is like the worst idea ever for them. So I bet that's true! :P

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    I'd just like to point out that the flash sideways NOT being connected to the main plot is like the worst idea ever for them. So I bet that's true! :P

Fanservice alt universe?

themightypuck on
    ― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    PeonU wrote: »
    When Miles Said "Uh Oh" to Ben maybe laugh out loud for a long time. Don't know why.

Me, too. That killed me for some reason.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Ilana is one of my weird irrational hatred characters on the show (like Jack is to the rest of you) so even though it would have wrecked the episode, I was a bit sad Ben didn't blow her away.

themightypuck on
    ― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm confused why she dropped her gun so fast when Ben picked his up. She wasn't shooting at him, and definitely had a chance to shoot him prior to Ben getting his gun. I don't think she ever intended to kill him, but make him repent, which he did.

Also, she states that she has to protect either Sun or Jin, but doesn't know how. They're candidates she tells Sun and says there are 6 of them. Well there are only 5, cause Locke is dead. She knows this. Was 6 intentional or just an oversight on the writers part?

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So if Richard is switching over to smokey, then if you look at the Last supper picture, everyone to the left is with smokey now except Ilana. Sawyer switched, Sayid switched, Clair was infected and Kate just tagged along.

Only Ilanna seems to be on Jacobs side.

BTW: I might buy that Jacob is evil, but Hurley is with him and Nothing, NOTHING will convince me that Hurley is evil. Being manipulated? maybe. Evil? NO.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Ryadic wrote: »
    I'm confused why she dropped her gun so fast when Ben picked his up. She wasn't shooting at him, and definitely had a chance to shoot him prior to Ben getting his gun. I don't think she ever intended to kill him, but make him repent, which he did.

Also, she states that she has to protect either Sun or Jin, but doesn't know how. They're candidates she tells Sun and says there are 6 of them. Well there are only 5, cause Locke is dead. She knows this. Was 6 intentional or just an oversight on the writers part?

I don't recall who all are official candidates, but if there are 5 with Sun/Jin she may be counting it as 6 with the two of them separate.

CptHamilton on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

Nonsense. A blackmailer can ask for a basket of goods as long as they are of less value to the victim than the cost of having the secret revealed. This wasn't Ben going back and asking for something else. The Alex letter came in the scene where they were negotiating.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ryadic wrote: »

My guess is she's going off the numbers (4,8,15,16,23,42). I had to mentally calculate it out too since Locke was dead and Sayid went off the deep end.

Nobody on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ilana is one of my weird irrational hatred characters on the show (like Jack is to the rest of you) so even though it would have wrecked the episode, I was a bit sad Ben didn't blow her away.

Jack? I think you mean K-A-T-E.

And yes I agree, Ilana sucks.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Absolutely loved this episode.

Miles: "Uh oh" and his bit about Nikki and Paolo were fantastic.
    Ben: Redeeming himself with Alex in the side-universe and then completely breaking down and being forgiven on the island.
    Jack: Biggest jackface smile I've ever seen, and finally coming to terms with his importance (I've always liked Jack.)
    Richard: Regaining his faith, to an extent.
    Arzst: Surprisingly interesting in the side-universe. I found him whiny and annoying when we first met him many seasons ago.
    Illana (sp?): Forgiving Ben.
    And the reunion on the beach.

I liked everything about this episode.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    Basren DragonsnackBasren Dragonsnack Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

I suppose I'm being a bit harsh since I actually thought the episode was pretty great. It just seemed obvious that the writers were really short on time and I think it showed. The school part of this episode would seem terrible to someone not enmeshed in the Lostverse. Alex shows up at Ben's door? You can blackmail someone to become Principal at what seemed like a public school? Your principal somehow knows Alex is important to you (he'd been watching Lost). And so on. Massive writing holes that didn't really bother me because I got a great payoff. I won't lie, I got a bit misty eyed. This is the other edge of the last season sword--they really had to make Linus's redemption quick and dirty. Although I won't be convinced this is really redemption until the DVD set is in Best Buy.

I don't think the Principle knowing that Alex was important to Ben was a big writing hole. Ben makes it pretty clear that the thing he cares most about at the school is the kids that have a desire to learn. He runs a History club that he's made very clear how much he cares about. The club only has only 5 members and Alex is one of them. Its not a huge mental leap to say, hey Ben prolly cares about the future of this kid.

Basren Dragonsnack on
    PSN: Scotty85
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Deebaser wrote: »

Kate wears them T-shirts. What's Jack got?

themightypuck on
    ― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    edited March 2010
    Deadfall wrote: »
    Absolutely loved this episode.

Miles: "Uh oh" and his bit about Nikki and Paolo were fantastic.
    Ben: Redeeming himself with Alex in the side-universe and then completely breaking down and being forgiven on the island.
    Jack: Biggest jackface smile I've ever seen, and finally coming to terms with his importance (I've always liked Jack.)
    Richard: Regaining his faith, to an extent.
    Arzst: Surprisingly interesting in the side-universe. I found him whiny and annoying when we first met him many seasons ago.
    Illana (sp?): Forgiving Ben.
    And the reunion on the beach.

I liked everything about this episode.

You're just a big softie. Although after last week I think most would agree that we all needed a slanket and a cup of hot cocoa.

themightypuck on
    ― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    edited March 2010

Daddy issues.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Daddy issues.

Kate had those, too. After all she did kill him. Well step-dad or mom's boyfriend, or whatever. Same shit.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I like this episode, but one thing annoys me about Jack. His hair has yet to become messed up at all. He has travelled through time, participated in the dharma fight, survived an H bomb explosion, assualted by temples goons, and has ran through the jungle somewhat. All of that and that fucking hair hasn't moved a millimeter.

I wouldn't have noticed this, but the blog that was linked a dozen or so pages back pointed it out. The same could be said for some other people, but they have long or very short hair.

The only person who looks like they have been on the island for a long time is Frank.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    moose47moose47 Registered User new member
    edited March 2010
    SniperGuy wrote: »

I want to nominate that line for the best in the series. Can we do that? Because it was delivered so damn well I nearly teared up.

No arguments from me. I've never teared up at this show until the delivery of that line. Michael Emerson is amazing and I have never been so happy to see a character survive an episode as I was last night.

moose47 on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    tallgeeze wrote: »
    I like this episode, but one thing annoys me about Jack. His hair has yet to become messed up at all. He has travelled through time, participated in the dharma fight, survived an H bomb explosion, assualted by temples goons, and has ran through the jungle somewhat. All of that and that fucking hair hasn't moved a millimeter.

I wouldn't have noticed this, but the blog that was linked a dozen or so pages back pointed it out. The same could be said for some other people, but they have long or very short hair.

The only person who looks like they have been on the island for a long time is Frank.

Jack had a crew cut before. For the past 2 seasons it's been longer cropped hair.

Sam on
This discussion has been closed.