As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Lost Season 6] Ben Linus Coffee-Rant Appreciation Thread [SPOILERS]

1575859606163»

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    That scene with Ben would have been about a billion times better if "Because he's the only one that will have me." was followed by her shooting him in the face followed by a cheesy one liner. Because Ben, despite his fantastic acting ability both in the show and in reality, really should have been shot in the face by Sun a long time ago damnit.

Xeddicus on
  • BackstopBackstop Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I was surprised that Ben or Ilana didn't get dead in that scene. Maybe Jacob instructed Ilana to put the fear of God into Ben? Make him think she's going to kill him and see if he comes around?
    Deebaser wrote: »
    I agree that the bit between Ben and the principal could have been explained better.
    If a blackmailer exercises his power, he loses his leverage and, thus, loses his ability to get anything of value. As such, all a blackmailer can really do is ask for the single thing he wants most. After that, when presented with the option of getting smaller items, he'll fold when the blackmailed person threatens to go to the cops instead. That smaller item is by definition worth less than the larger item, and so the blackmailer won't jeopardize the larger item just to increase his pay day.

In this case, if the principal resigned and wrote Alex a shitty recommendation, Ben wouldn't have had any power as a blackmailer. He couldn't release the e-mails without the principal then being in a position to reveal he was blackmailed, thus costing Ben his position as principal as well. Even then, Alex doesn't get a recommendation.

That said, if the person who is being blackmailed is really weak, then you can potentially get everything you want. The principal wasn't, though.

In any case, Ben was clearly happier "doing the right thing" by Alex than he would have been as principal. He gained less materially, but it was his greatest emotional victory for the entire series. This furthers the belief that the sideways flashes represent the wish-fulfillment of the characters, perhaps through Jacob and the closing events of the series, and will not figure into the main plot.

Nonsense. A blackmailer can ask for a basket of goods as long as they are of less value to the victim than the cost of having the secret revealed. This wasn't Ben going back and asking for something else. The Alex letter came in the scene where they were negotiating.

The problem was that Ben wanted the principal to retire immeeejitly and as the principal pointed out, then he could not write a letter to Yale. If Ben said, "take your time, retire during summer break" then the principal would have time to mount a counter-attack.

In the scene with Alex in the principal's office, we see that Ben held on to the emails and is using them as leverage to improve his own situation rather than take over the whole desk. He's now being addressed as DOCTOR Linus, the principal is cowed and Ben is on his way to being the man behind the curtain.

Backstop on
  • themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
    edited March 2010
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    That scene with Ben would have been about a billion times better if "Because he's the only one that will have me." was followed by her shooting him in the face followed by a cheesy one liner. Because Ben, despite his fantastic acting ability both in the show and in reality, really should have been shot in the face by Sun a long time ago damnit.

My hatred of Sun is only exceeded by my hatred of Ilana. This probably has more to do with how bad I perceive the actors to be than the characters.

themightypuck on
    ― Marcus Aurelius

• RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    What's wrong with Sun? Sun's awesome.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    What made Ben's "the only one who will have me" scene even more misty eyed for me was Ilana's reply and delivery.

I'll have you.

belligerent on
  • frandelgearslipfrandelgearslip 457670Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Xeddicus wrote: »

I would not have minded Ben being killed (though I am cool with the ending as it is), but not at illana's hands. If she had been the one to kill him I would be beyond pissed. She does not get to kill Ben.

My personal theory on the alt-universe is that it is where the battle between smokey and jacob is taking place. When they are first shown the arguement was not fate vs. free will. Smokey was arguing that people make the same mistakes over and over and that people do not change. Jacob argued otherwise. First it makes the flashbacks in the various seasons important, because the flashbacks show how the characters have not changed and what there issues are.

So far in the alt reality universe Jack, Locke and Ben's stories are about getting past their issues and not making the same mistakes in the alt universe--points for Jacob's arguement. Sayid of course showed that he could not change so points for Smokey. Kate is more ambiguous, but I would argue that the only way for her to show she is changed is to turn herself in to the marshall and except her punishment.

Thoughts on the episode: great episode, not what I was expecting. The bit with the diamonds were great. Also liked the use of Artz, he was actually useful to the story rather than just a "look at this continuity reference".

frandelgearslip on
    edited March 2010
    Ryadic wrote: »

Maybe it is just me but although her character is awesomely written I can't recall a single scene she has really sold. Plus, she owns the biggest Lost bad writing plot hole of all time award with the miraculous money she won from the airline (unless she put it all on red at Vegas and got lucky).

edit. Also, I was exaggerating damn me. I actually like Sun but thought she (actor) kind of sucked in the last episode in the scene when she is talking to Ben.

themightypuck on
    ― Marcus Aurelius

• elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm a little confused about Jacob's "gift." I assume it's some form of immortality, since you can't kill yourself, and don't die naturally, but can still die if someone kills you. Richard hasn't aged in decades (centuries?), which makes sense. But Jacob touched Sawyer when he was a child, and he aged. Maybe that part just works on-island?

elevature on
  • BackstopBackstop Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Maybe it is just me but although her character is awesomely written I can't recall a single scene she has really sold. Plus, she owns the biggest Lost bad writing plot hole of all time award with the miraculous money she won from the airline (unless she put it all on red at Vegas and got lucky).

edit. Also, I was exaggerating damn me. I actually like Sun but thought she (actor) kind of sucked in the last episode in the scene when she is talking to Ben.

How is the money a plot hole? Kate was living the rich life as well after the "rescue" and I thought Sun parlayed her settlement (and probably Jin's life insurance) into a fortune using her connections as a industrialist's daughter.

Edit: Jacob's gift is probably that you don;t die until you have your date with destiny, not that you are frozen in time when he touches you. Richard may or may not have been in his 40's when he got off the Black Rock, maybe he aged some years and stopped when he got to maturity.

Backstop on
  • ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    elevature wrote: »
    I'm a little confused about Jacob's "gift." I assume it's some form of immortality, since you can't kill yourself, and don't die naturally, but can still die if someone kills you. Richard hasn't aged in decades (centuries?), which makes sense. But Jacob touched Sawyer when he was a child, and he aged. Maybe that part just works on-island?

I think it works however Jacob wants it to work.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Zampanov wrote: »

This. Dude's dead and can only talk to Hugo but he's still pulling all the strings.

On topic of which, was Miles' "hoping he was wrong about you" meant to mean the obvious, or is there supposed to be some hidden double-meaning there? This being Lost, I immediately assumed it was Jacob somehow saying he wanted Ben to kill him.

CptHamilton on
    PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Backstop wrote: »

How is the money a plot hole? Kate was living the rich life as well after the "rescue" and I thought Sun parlayed her settlement (and probably Jin's life insurance) into a fortune using her connections as a industrialist's daughter.

I thought she used the money to buy a controlling interest in her dad's company because he was a dick to Jin. Then she parlayed that into finding Widmore who was the ultimate dick to Jin.

Speaking of which.......WIDMORE!!!!

tallgeeze on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Wasn't the ending of this episode an exact parallel to how one of the episodes of season 1 ended (with the slow mo and music and such? I think it ended with an ominous shot of Locke)? It seemed extremely familiar to me.

SatanIsMyMotor on
    edited March 2010
    Backstop wrote: »

To each his or her own. I never bought it.

themightypuck on
    ― Marcus Aurelius

• GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I got a kick out of the fact that the principal was William Atherton. I couldn't help but mutter "Yes, your honor, this man has no dick."

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
    edited March 2010
    Wasn't the ending of this episode an exact parallel to how one of the episodes of season 1 ended (with the slow mo and music and such? I think it ended with an ominous shot of Locke)? It seemed extremely familiar to me.

Plenty of episodes have that. It's their small triumph/reunion music. Everyone smiles, hugs, and laughs as something bad was averted.

It is usually followed up with something sinister. In this case we get Widmore showing up. Who knows what he plans to do.

I'm really impressed with the acting of Ben and Locke. One of them has to get an emmy. I would lean towards Locke because he has been hitting everything out of the park.

Edit: Did anyone mention starting a new thread yet?

tallgeeze on
    edited March 2010
    Isn't Atherton the dude who gets punched at the end of Die Hard? It's been a while but that's what is in my brain.

themightypuck on
    ― Marcus Aurelius

• GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Isn't Atherton the dude who gets punched at the end of Die Hard? It's been a while but that's what is in my brain.

Yes. And Walter Peck from Ghostbusters. He's made a career of being the asshole.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • EnderEnder Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    tallgeeze wrote: »

Plenty of episodes have that. It's their small triumph/reunion music. Everyone smiles, hugs, and laughs as something bad was averted.

It is usually followed up with something sinister. In this case we get Widmore showing up. Who knows what he plans to do.

I'm really impressed with the acting of Ben and Locke. One of them has to get an emmy. I would lean towards Locke because he has been hitting everything out of the park.

The ending is almost exactly the same as the season 2 episode when everyone gets back from being hijacked by the Others. Richard occupies Juliet's position.

Ender on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ender wrote: »
    tallgeeze wrote: »

The ending is almost exactly the same as the season 2 episode when everyone gets back from being hijacked by the Others. Richard occupies Juliet's position.

That's it! Thanks dude.

SatanIsMyMotor on
    edited March 2010
    Holy fuck. Totally true. Can't believe I didn't see it until it was posted.

themightypuck on
    ― Marcus Aurelius

edited March 2010
    Started new thread, enjoy

Edit: would be smart to include link to new thread, durr

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=114293

tallgeeze on
  • ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Gyral wrote: »
    I got a kick out of the fact that the principal was William Atherton. I couldn't help but mutter "Yes, your honor, this man has no dick."

This. Bill Murray ftw.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Zampanov wrote: »

In Sawyer's case, Jacob gave him an enormous pair of brass balls.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sam wrote: »
    Jack took Sayid's mystery pill too. Dude doesn't give a fuck.

Oh shit

That would be why Dogan had to have Jack give him the pill

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • ThisThis Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Best episode of the season by a large margin, thanks to good writing but especially to a fantastic performance.

This on
  • ThisThis Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Weird, the guy who plays Arzt is the guy who played Leno in The Late Shift. It was distracting me until I figured it out halfway through the episode.

This on
  • RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I have to say I am enjoying Jack as a loose canon on the ragged edge.

When Richard took them to the Black Rock, did anyone else think we were going to find out where he stashes his supply of guy-liner?

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Why y'all gotta make fun of how the guy looks? His momma and daddy gave him beautiful eyelashes.

GungHo on
  • HilleanHillean Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »
    I have to say I am enjoying Jack as a loose canon on the ragged edge.

When Richard took them to the Black Rock, did anyone else think we were going to find out where he stashes his supply of guy-liner?

I did like how he looked the chains over... he didn't even have to explain that he came in on the Black Rock, for us to already know.

And does anyone else think it'd have been a bit more ironic if the principal would've maybe been Widmore instead?

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
This discussion has been closed.