As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The current PS3 "supply issues" are real.

2»

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Looks like we may finally know what's going on and when we'll see more PS3s available.
    Upcoming PS3 SKU looking to shed 200g from its current 3.2kg
    Two new revisions to Sony’s PS3 that are expected to hit the market in March will offer a surprise new feature – less weight.

Andriasang reports that the new SKUs will weight exactly 3kg – 200g lighter than the current PS3 Slim’s 3.2kg. The new models will sport the serial numbers CECH-2000A and CECH-2100A.
    Hardware revisions are common and the weight reduction likely stems from one or two internal component changes.

In the name of science, MCV can confirm that 200g is exactly the same weight as 200 paper clips or 200 one dollar notes.

Reading between the lines, it sounds as if Sony wanted to clear their stock of the old model PS3s before introducing the new ones. This is done by hardware makers all the time, it just sounds like the difference in this case is that Sony horribly botched the amount of old models they'd need.

I'm guessing they weren't expecting US sales to be as high as they were, planned accordingly so that they'd clear their warehouses and switch stock fairly naturally but were then caught out. It explains why the US is the only country affected (though there were a couple of reports of PS3's selling out in the UK as well).

As for the changes, I'm guessing the major change will be a 45nm RSX.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Eh, normal amounts at Target and Gamestop where I live. But console's don't seem to short here, even the Wii became available earlier than most areas.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Haven't seen one in a while now. Been considering getting one before FFXIII came out so I could play it on that, but I ended up just getting it on 360 since I never found one. Despite that I almost feel like I'll end up getting one anyway if I ever find one just because I've been looking for so long even though the main reason is gone. Such an illogical mentality. I should probably be thankful they're sold out so I'm not spending 300 dollars on a system I don't need.

Adus on
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I search the central MD area for weeks. And I too jumped at the idea of the Sony Style stores being generally forgotten - the one in Annapolis, however, turned out to be fruitless.

Ultimately I got one of my military buddies to pick up a 250gb model at the exchange on the base where I work. $350 tax-free ain't too bad considering I'd be paying about $320 after taxes for the 120gb at retail.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705