As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MICHAEL BAY ON]Bad Company 2: Carl Gustav is king!

• SladvanSladvan Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    strategery wrote: »
    Sladvan wrote: »
    P1 of Arica Harbor is my favorite. It's probably because I usually play engineer and for them, P1 is a target rich environment.

It would be cool if the game eventually got themed booster packs the way BF2 did, with Armored Fury focusing on tanks and what not. Really let the engineer and the vehicle perks have their day in the sun.

Armored Fury also introduced the A-10.

Which frequently showed up as not just 1 A-10 per map.. But 2 A-10s per map.

Yes, much douchebaggery unfolded with those too.

Cool story, bro.

Anyway, I was hoping when they were talking about how there'd be an exciting night map we might have seen the return of night vision. Rather than just darker colors and no bloom.

Sladvan on
    ken2.png
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sigtyr wrote: »
    Make Vehicle Smoke perks immediately remove spotted status.

How I long for this. Pretty pointless to throw up a 360 degree smoke screen if you're still spotted after doing so. The Smoke Secondary needs to recharge faster as well.

I wish for this too. Most of the time that I go assault, I choose the smoke over the 40mm grenade. I want it to actually be useful, and not half-useful.

Satsumomo on
  • MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Watching the TV ad again made me think the level shown was Arica Harbor, in the city after the first part is taken. However, there's not a chopper in that level, is there?

Wonder what map that is, if it's not Arica Harbor.

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • AntiQuoAntiQuo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Marikir wrote: »
    Watching the TV ad again made me think the level shown was Arica Harbor, in the city after the first part is taken. However, there's not a chopper in that level, is there?

I think it's that conquest map with the boat in the middle.

AntiQuo on
    1e276.png
  • SigtyrSigtyr Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

It's Arica Harbour.

It's a commerical.

Sigtyr on
  • SladvanSladvan Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Its not a map at all. A dev mentioned on twitter its a tweaked set of geometry meant only for the commercial.

Sladvan on
    ken2.png
  • SigtyrSigtyr Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Well, it uses the area after the first part of Arica Harbour. That downtown place. At least, it uses the same buildings and stuff.

Sigtyr on
  • MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sladvan wrote: »

Its not a map at all. A dev mentioned on twitter its a tweaked set of geometry meant only for the commercial.

Oh, okay.

Well, that's too bad. I think that having a map with an attack chopper flying over a city like that would be interesting. Especially if there were a couple of AA guns set up as defense against it.

Oh well, that explains it. Thanks!

Sigtyr wrote: »
    Well, it uses the area after the first part of Arica Harbour. That downtown place. At least, it uses the same buildings and stuff.
    Yeah, hence my confusion after watching it again last night.

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • AntiQuoAntiQuo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Does anybody know if they plan to release map-making tools or anything like that? I have got myself all excited with my own thoughts of a dense urban map and I know it will never be realized unless I make it myself.

AntiQuo on
    1e276.png
  • SherlokSherlok Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    AntiQuo wrote: »
    Does anybody know if they plan to release map-making tools or anything like that? I have got myself all excited with my own thoughts of a dense urban map and I know it will never be realized unless I make it myself.

They said there'd be no modding tools or anything. Whether or not that includes a map editor, I'm not sure, but I'd say it looks doubtful.

Sherlok on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sherlok wrote: »

They said there'd be no modding tools or anything. Whether or not that includes a map editor, I'm not sure, but I'd say it looks doubtful.

They are stupid people with stupid ideas. Even a dumbed down map-editor would be preferable to nothing, or waiting for them to make new maps.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Lt. FraggLt. Fragg Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Malkor wrote: »
    Sherlok wrote: »

They are stupid people with stupid ideas. Even a dumbed down map-editor would be preferable to nothing, or waiting for them to make new maps.

And there is another evil byproduct of having DLC, it squashes the creativity.

It would make no sense at all to offer up a mod tool to the community if their intention in the first place is to sell up maps.

I'd venture to guess that if there was a mod tool, we'd have a whole slew of the old school maps that I'd be more than happy to revisit. 8-)

It's all about the dollars now.

Or as King Carl Gustav refers them to :"Benjamin's"

Lt. Fragg on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Most user made maps suck anyway, so it's not a big loss or anything.

reVerse on
  • bloodrunspinkbloodrunspink Registered User new member
    edited March 2010
    could I be added to the ps3 list please?

bloodrunspink on
    psn - bloodrunspink
  • TwistedJesterTwistedJester Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sounds like it's not so much about the money as it is the tools.
    "This version of Frostbite just really doesn't support (modding)," Van Dyke explains. "The way our tools are setup for Frostbite currently - this isn't the plan for the future - it's all within a network structure, so we have servers, a network farm, hard drives all over the place, caching systems. For the development team it's not even a realistic thing to try to pretend we could put out. So we just bit the bullet and were honest and were like, 'This is not something we can do with this game.'"

TwistedJester on
  • TheBanaTheBana Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm kinda glad there'll be no map maker as long as there's a constant trickle of new official maps that are a) interesting and fun..and b) don't split the player base (aka free).

I don't want a BC2 version of Rats or surfing maps or any shit like that.

I'd be happy to pay for things like new weapons, perks or even a whole new 'class'.

TheBana on
    Monster Hunter Tri - TheBana/FZVK6U; Skype - TheBana84;
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    reVerse wrote: »

On the flip side though: A lot of the levels you now play that are default in games are created by professionals who started out as modders.

I'm not saying they're all good, but those who are quickly becomes singled out and very popular.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

:^:

I also like the idea of a chopper for p1 of Arica Harbor. But you know what else works well to speed that up (when you're an attacker)? Get the vehicle zoom perk. The second you spawn, hop on a quad and haul ass to the defender base. Bonus points if you run over any of the 14 recons they no doubt have. Steal one of their tanks, then flee for your life back to your base. Now use your zoom to play artillery for the rest of the round, out of line of site of most of the mortar strikes.

I did this yesterday. Got in a quad, bailed, ramboed my way through three recons and a medic to get to the tank, and kept the thing from the start of p1 until halfway through p5, when the lack of maneuverability + the ToW launcher + multiple mortar strikes finally did me in.

s3rial one on
    edited March 2010
    I'd even say most. You don't get hired as a level designer if you can't show that you are good at it.

Honk on
    edited March 2010
    Honk wrote: »
    I'd even say most. You don't get hired as a level designer if you can't show that you are good at it.

Well they can go make maps for Counter-Strike or something. Not every single game needs to suffer of user made maps.

reVerse on
  • SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I had a lot of fun playing last night with uh....

Death5ide, qizmo and I think another person was in the squad. Being able to respawn with any of them, and them on me if they were both dead, meant I ended up working with them 90% of every map.

Add that to the fact that it turns out my desktop runs this WAY better than my lappy and that we were all on vent and it owned.

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    TheBana wrote: »
    I'm kinda glad there'll be no map maker as long as there's a constant trickle of new official maps that are a) interesting and fun..and b) don't split the player base (aka free).

Hahaha, you poor, deluded fool.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I just realized.

The biggest disappointment in this game is the lack of a remix of the Battlefield theme. Even BF2 had one, and Armored Fury had the best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX-3b1DK-4s

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Lt. FraggLt. Fragg Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I will be honest, if they make it worthwhile, I'd be willing to shell out money every time if they could offer up a nice pack o maps.

I was champing at the bit with 1943 when it dropped on XBL, half expecting to see another 3 maps come along in a few months, willing to hit the "Buy It" button the second it was available.

If the servers settle down (which they should), and DiCE gives us some juicy new playgrounds to kill mans on (which I am sure they will) they have my money.

Lt. Fragg on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If there are 50 bad maps 10 good ones, and two or three great ones then I think it is worth it.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    edited March 2010

Well they can go make maps for Counter-Strike or something. Not every single game needs to suffer of user made maps.

I really don't see how it is anything you suffer, seeing as you don't need to play them.

What games REALLY don't need though is custom sounds (HE HE HE HEADSHO TT TT TT) that take 30 minutes to download on every server, Counter-Strike can keep that one.

Honk on
    edited March 2010
    CarbonFire wrote: »

But...but...I'm a PC gamer. I'm not used to paying for this shit. :(

I'll end up buying EVERYTHING EA spew out for this game, it's one of the best I've played in a good while.

£20 for fluffy dice for your vehicles? Sold.

TheBana on
    edited March 2010

I really don't see how it is anything you suffer, seeing as you don't need to play them.

Except when everyone decides that rush_littlerosiesdollhouse is the bestest map ever and you can't find a server that doesn't have it on 24/7.

reVerse on
  • GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    CarbonFire wrote: »

haha lol because look at all the money they're already charging am I right looooooool '~*damn EA*~'

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2010
    There are always lots of servers running "orginial_map 24/7" in every shooter I've played.

Well well.

Honk on
    edited March 2010
    And I hate those servers too.

Whoever made de_dust can burn in hell.

reVerse on
    edited March 2010
    F..Francis?

Honk on
    edited March 2010
    What? No, I'm not French.

reVerse on
    edited March 2010
    It was a just a joke. Someone will get it.

Anyway, I'd like to have this game in my hand but I can't play it for a good while. Hmm.

Honk on
    edited March 2010
    Left 4 Dead joke because Francis hates everything I assume?

TheBana on
  • Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The best battlefield theme is clearly this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz0v-qixpOI

:whistle:

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I've heard from an overwhelming number of reliable sources that Flippy is a terrible sniper in this game

how true is this?

MrDelish on
    edited March 2010
    You got it.

Honk on
  • TekDragonTekDragon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    Are we allowed to whore score shots? Because I thought breaking 10k (with only 1 medal) was pretty awesome.

BadCompany2SC1.jpg

TekDragon on
  • Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Wait what?

:(

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
This discussion has been closed.