As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Avengers Thread! 'Nuff Said

cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
edited May 2010 in Graphic Violence
Because we need a new Avengers' thread.

And I still maintain that Reptil is a horrid character.

MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
cshadow42 on

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So, Dark Avengers 15 coming next week.

I am still so very much in love with the Sentry. Come back to me Robert!

In an interview Bendis said something about members of the Dark Avengers being part of the new Avengers teams. I dare to dream...

Solar on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Man what is it about Reptil that people hate so much? I remember reading his story in an Initiative issue and while it wasn't anything special I certainly don't get the dislike.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    He helped kill the Mini-Marvels.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I remember reading rumors about a Cosmic Avengers book post-Siege, but it doesn't look like we're getting one yet. I think if it did happen, it would be after DnA are done with Cosmic Marvel.

Who should be on the Cosmic Avengers team, if it ever does happen?

Nova, Silver Surfer, Quasar, and the Super Skrull are my picks, but it needs more. I'm hesitant to put any of the Guardians of the Galaxy on the team because, in my ideal world, cosmic Marvel has enough room for two awesome, high powered team books a month. I'd move Ms. Marvel and Firestar to the cosmic team, to give it some girl power. And probably the Forgotten One, since he's been, well... forgotten.

Hensler on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Silver Surfer strikes me as overkill.

I'd put Darkhawk and Marvel Boy on there too.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Cosmic Avengers should be Quasar, Ms Marvel, Protector, Agent Brand, Beast, Spider-Woman and possibly Nova Prime but if not some other class 100 flying brick like the Sentry. There you have brains (Noh-Varr builds inter-galactic communication devices out of scrap metal and Beast is a genius) brawn (Sentry, Ms Marvel and Protector can all unleash much ass kickery), a cool energy controller with Quasar and a few lower level espionage types with Spider-Woman (Agent of SWORD) and Agent Brand (who gets a new code name and a bunch of alien guns).

They would be so cool, teaming up with the Guardians and the Nova Corps to beat up bad guys and then going for drinks on Knowhere.

Solar on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Silver Surfer strikes me as overkill.

I really just want a monthly book featuring Silver Surfer.

Hensler on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hensler wrote: »
    I'd move Ms. Marvel and Firestar to the cosmic team, to give it some girl power. And probably the Forgotten One, since he's been, well... forgotten.
    Or because she used to be a cosmic hero.

Just saying.
    technically Hawkeye is working for Mockingbird now in the WCA (World Counterterrorism Agency) in addition to his life with the Avengers, which Mockingbird is no longer a member of (thanks to events in "Siege").
    Interesting.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    Solar wrote: »
    Cosmic Avengers should be Quasar, Ms Marvel, Protector, Agent Brand, Beast, Spider-Woman and possibly Nova Prime but if not some other class 100 flying brick like the Sentry. There you have brains (Noh-Varr builds inter-galactic communication devices out of scrap metal and Beast is a genius) brawn (Sentry, Ms Marvel and Protector can all unleash much ass kickery), a cool energy controller with Quasar and a few lower level espionage types with Spider-Woman (Agent of SWORD) and Agent Brand (who gets a new code name and a bunch of alien guns).

They would be so cool, teaming up with the Guardians and the Nova Corps to beat up bad guys and then going for drinks on Knowhere.

Beta Ray Bill.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Speaking of, what is Silver Surfer even doing these days?

(The answer is probably surfing, right?)

desc on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    being dead.

not really but his death mini was awesome and that's the last thing I remember.

Langly on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    He is currently the Herald of Galactus, who he is serving with impressive devotion and capability. Seriously looking at his current state of mind I can't see him giving up the position any time soon either. Surfer...

Herald My RAGE!

Solar on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    We haven't had a good Galactus vs. Earth story in a while. I think we're overdue for one.

cshadow42 on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    cshadow42 wrote: »
    We haven't had a good Galactus vs. Earth story in a while. I think we're overdue for one.

How many variations on that formula can they do?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Because we need a new Avenger's thread.

Inappropriate apostrophe in an OP. For shame, you silly goose. Apostrophes are used to indicate possession or the contraction of two words. Bob is running late today==Bob's running late today. Bob was hoping to borrow Jill's car.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

How many variations on that formula can they do?

Ones that have Ghost Rider show up out of the blue and Penance Stare him into near death

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Galacta is on Earth and she is the best thing ever. They are doing something about her as well, it involves Thor, the FF and for some reason Wolverine (oh yes, because he is everywhere all the time. How could I forget?)

They could do a variation where she attacks Earth, or where she defends it or something. That would be cool. Galacta is awesome enough to hook up with USAgent, the highest honour that can be recieved.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Latest Avenger's Academy update: New character by the name of Fortress

Looks like we're going with the "invisible skin" motif here. Why am I thinking there is an X-man already with that condition? Or was that pre-HoM? There's a female 'no-skin' person in Avenger's Initiative already, though aside from being a nurse I don't think she does anything.

cshadow42 on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    1268327863.jpg

Looks more like Red Colossus. And noone shown so far doesn't exist already.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Because we need a new Avenger's thread.

Inappropriate apostrophe in an OP. For shame, you silly goose. Apostrophes are used to indicate possession or the contraction of two words. Bob is running late today==Bob's running late today. Bob was hoping to borrow Jill's car.

Bob is the Void. Bob's the Void.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I wish they would call him Rob. Sounds so much better.

Anyway, this fortress guy seems OK. Honestly the taglines we get so far don't exactly excite me much, "I will die," "I'm a drama bitch," "I'm a tough dude," but until we get some more info I reserve judgement.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Latest Avenger's Academy update: New character by the name of Fortress

Looks like we're going with the "invisible skin" motif here. Why am I thinking there is an X-man already with that condition? Or was that pre-HoM? There's a female 'no-skin' person in Avenger's Initiative already, though aside from being a nurse I don't think she does anything.

Omega_gang_full.jpg

You probably mean Glob.

And yeah, these designs all look pretty weak so far. I remember being a lot more excited when I first saw the Initiative cast.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    To be fair, every tagline for every Avengers promo has sucked. Half of them sound like they were plagiarized from a book of positive affirmations.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    To be fair, every tagline for every Avengers promo has sucked. Half of them sound like they were plagiarized from a book of positive affirmations.

That's true. I think the promos were a decent idea for the bigger teams where it was a way of slowly letting people know which established names were on the teams and building up excitement, plus they only gave out five for each so they left a few slots open. But for new characters it kind of sucks, as it really fails to excite us. It's not like they were very dramatic or actiony. I think they should have put a few team picks forward of the group kicking ass, let us see them in action rather than just rely on taglines and costume design to support the hype.

Solar on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    There was a mutant Jean recruited in the Eve of Destruction story before Morrison took over the X-Men who has a power that looked similar to Fortress', where his power was to turn invisible but since he just got the power it only made his skin disappear.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    This guy is probably more punchy than turning invisible though.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Pretty sure he's robotic or has robot skin. There's a gear in his name and all.

My guess is that his armor is also his life-support system.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Pretty sure he's robotic or has robot skin. There's a gear in his name and all.

My guess is that his armor is also his life-support system.

Yeah, the suggestion is that he has something to be pitied for, perhaps he is locked inside that suit at all times or is in fact a bunch of organs with an exoskeleton.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Ah ha! The Initiative's nurse, Physique, had the no-skin power.

cshadow42 on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    being locked in the suit reminds me of the Freedom Force character, who was awesome.

Langly on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    "Hang in there!"
    -The HANGMAN

"I'm just a hunk'a hunk'a burnin' love."
    -The CRAB

Munch on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'd read a book about the Crab

Furu on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I was going to call him The Herpes, but it seemed a little too on-the-nose.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    "It burns when I pee, but I will overcome"
    Urinator.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Urinator.

Alternatively,

"When life gives you lemons, make lemonade."

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Urinator.

Alternatively,

"When life gives you lemons, make lemonade."

Sweet Lemonade.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I am holding off on judging any of the new characters until we see them in action. Sure, they look lame, but...imagine if some of the Initiative people got things like that.

"Everyone's afraid of me...including me." -- TRAUMA

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    This all sounds like the basis for a new forum contest to me. Create a new Avengers Academy character with the funniest tagline using the Marvel template and win a prize.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    This all sounds like the basis for a new forum contest to me. Create a new Avengers Academy character with the funniest tagline using the Marvel template and win a prize.

I post on forums, I try to piss people off.
    -The Troll

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Vive le Revolucion Robotica!
    -Teddy Ruxpin

cshadow42 on