As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Year Zero Thread - The End is Fucking Here!

RehabRehab Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Social Entropy++
The future is looking bleak. Not everyone may be aware of it, but the simple truth of the matter is that things are not what they seem. The United States is now being forced to take certain precautionary measures to prevent further suffering after horrible biological terrorist attacks that hit Los Angles and Anaheim. It was found that the rest of the country was alarmingly vulnerable to such attacks and the public at large went into a state of paranoia. But there was a cure. Directly resulting from these incidents, a new miracle drug called "Parepin" was added to the water supply in Orlando and other major cities shortly thereafter. That drug now courses through water systems of major cities throughout the United States and has for several years. There are now entire generations that have always been subjected to it, quite possibly without even realizing it. The purpose of Parepin is to strengthen the immune system in order to protect against biological warfare and diseases such as AIDS. However, since the introduction of Parepin, there have been numerous sitings by citizens of a haunting image commonly referred to as "The Presence." Below is a photograph of The Presence that a citizen managed to take from an earlier encounter:

content02kf3.jpg

And that sums up the basis for Year Zero, the upcoming Nine Inch Nails album. It is an undertaking that has been described by Trent Reznor as something that is very experimental. To quote Reznor himself "Highly conceptual. Quite noisy. Fucking cool." The album has already proven to be quite different from anything else out there and it hasn't even released yet. This is due to the interactive experience that Nine Inch Nails has put together in marketing the album which actually displays the themes that will carry through it. Year Zero has managed to convey these themes through websites such as I Am Trying to Believe and Another Version of the Truth that show off a number of very dark and foreboding future events. This Nine Inch Nails forum called echoingthesound does a particularly good job of covering everything that is tied in with the album.

From there I have been trying to follow along with the events every so often and am just genuinely looking to see more of what the album is about. It is all very interesting, strange, and oftentimes very creepy from what you see going from one site to the other. Some of the messages that you get from attempting to contact a supposed site creator or clicking on links as you look through sites that seem confidential are extremely cool and well done. When you try to contact the creator of I Am Trying to Believe who has stopped using Parepin for instance, you always get the same automated response that follows:

Thank you for your interest. It is now clear to me that Parepin is a completely safe and effective agent developed to protect us from bio-terrorism. The Administration is acting purely in the best interests of its citizens; to suggest otherwise was irresponsible and I deeply regret it.

I'm drinking the water. So should you.

Eerie. Another site has a warning message that appears whenever you click any of the links:

WARNING CODE 24.10.4 (All page functionality disabled): You are not the citizen assigned to this account. Close this window immediately and stay where you are. Authorities will be in contact shortly for appropriate reeducation.

First coming across all this is kind of a head trip. The forums that were linked earlier was one my personal favorite sites involved so far as the idea of people discussing the events like that was quite creative and really pulls you in. There was a site that previously led into the forums that goes by the same name but has changed since I last visited it. Here is that site. Seems pretty normal at first until you click and drag your mouse over the page to reveal the actual scene. It should be noted too that the text with the other sites is intentionally blurred. With those you click and drag over the text and you can read them just fine. What Nine Inch Nails has been doing with this certainly isn't for everyone but if you are interested you should check out the album which released on 4/17/07.

Too long didn't read: Year Zero is an awesome and experimental Nine Inch Nails CD that came out today and you should look to get it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Album Art: (click for huge)

200pxyearzerocover323bl7.jpg

Track Listing:
  1. Hyperpower! – 1:42
  2. The Beginning of the End – 2:47
  3. Survivalism – 4:24
  4. The Good Soldier – 3:23
  5. Vessel – 4:53
  6. Me, I'm Not – 4:52
  7. Capital G – 3:50
  8. My Violent Heart – 4:14
  9. The Warning – 3:39
  10. God Given – 3:51
  11. Meet Your Master – 4:09
  12. The Greater Good – 4:52
  13. The Great Destroyer – 3:17
  14. Another Version of the Truth – 4:09
  15. In This Twilight – 3:34
  16. Zero-Sum – 6:15

Listen to Year Zero in its entirety here: http://yearzero.nin.com/

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Cool site for the ARG aspect brought up by omega71:
omega71 wrote: »
Speaking of the ARG..If anyone besides me has been following since the beginning...Have any of you gone to the http://www.freerebelart.net/ and put in your phone number?? Its fucking a trip...

Feedback from the site (there is also a lovely phone message):
HOME
YOU HAVE BEEN CAUGHT
CONSPIRING TO BETRAY AMERICA
You Are Being Watched.
Your computer has been tagged. Your phone lines will now be monitored and your mail will be opened. The
Bureau of Morality has logged your browsing history and will be analyzing it.

For the next twelve (12) months your person, vehicle
You have been flagged as a Security Threat: your presence will be recorded by cameras installed in all publicly
funded spaces, as well as by privately owned cameras held by participating corporate partners.
Citizenship Penalties:
The following penalties are effective immediately

Driver’s License: SUSPENDED/DENIED
Marriage License: SUSPENDED/DENIED If not married, any request for a license will be denied
Parenting License: SUSPENDED/DENIED Any children born without this license wi
hospital and raised in a government crèche. If you already have children, you have triggered an automatic social
services audit of your parenting which may result in your being judged Unfit to Raise Children
YOU HAVE CHOSEN TO FIGHT AMERICA.
AMERICA IS FIGHTING BACK.
How Can I Get My Life Back?
Despite what you think, we are not the enemy. America is a land of opportunity, and we’re giving you a second
chance.

Help us find and re-educate friends, co-workers, or family members
attitudes. You only need to help confirm one dissident to start recovering your lost citizenship points.
Click this button. Help save a friend from anti-americanism – and start getting your life back.
If you are ready to be an American again,

If anyone else finds out anything cool related to the ARG aspect and could post it, it would be much appreciated.

NNID: Rehab0
Rehab on

• Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    hope it's not shit like their last album

The Hand That Feeds

man

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I thought [With Teeth] was pretty good but this sounds even better so far.

Looking around it seems like there are quite a few reviews up too.

Rehab on
  • Options
    SlyJokerSlyJoker Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Yeah, I really liked With Teeth, and cant wait for this album. I love the viral marketing pages a lot, hopefully the album lives up to the hype, though Survivalism is great.

SlyJoker on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    I don't know much about music.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    The Geek wrote: »
    I don't know much about music.

thanks for the update?

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    Any time.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    There's too much fucking in thread titles these days.

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    StarfuckStarfuck Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    this thread gets the starfuck stamp of approval
    if i had a stamp
    i'd post the image right here

The Good Soldier is a great song
    Capital G is cool too
    I love this album

I'm definitely picking this up tomorrow!!

tomorrow!!!

there was also a thing i posted in the music thread where the record companies were using bots to put the bravery at the top of some MSN poll, so the NIN fans started using bots to fight back
    it was pretty dumb, yet humorous

Starfuck on
    jackfaces
    "If you're going to play tiddly winks, play it with man hole covers."
    - John McCallum
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Lord Dave wrote: »
    There's too much fucking in thread titles these days.

I'm sorry, I just fucking loved that scene in 28 Days Later.

Rehab on
  • Options
    Re: nholderRe: nholder Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Huzzah! HuzzAH!

Personally, I think it's one of the best things Trentington McRazzmatazz ever done. You don't even have to get into the ARG to enjoy it.

God Given, Meet Your Master, and The Great Destroyer are my favorites and I think deserve a listen from everybody. Even if you don't like it.

Re: nholder on
  • Options
    JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It's 2007.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2007
    they play the one song from this album at work on the DVD

i don't know why

it's not even in a video game

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    This album has a storyline?

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Huzzah! HuzzAH!

Personally, I think it's one of the best things Trentington McRazzmatazz ever done. You don't even have to get into the ARG to enjoy it.

God Given, Meet Your Master, and The Great Destroyer are my favorites and I think deserve a listen from everybody. Even if you don't like it.

Oh awesome, you were able to get a copy of the album before the release date tomorrow? Good to hear this is one of Reznor's best projects too. I've just heard the tracks that were sampled on the main site but I like the sound they have.

Rehab on
  • Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Year Zero is god damn brilliant. In fact, I say it's the best album NIN has put out.

You can hear the whole thing on NIN.com

I'm going to a release party tonight. I'm excited.

The upcoming US tour had better open with Pinion, followed by Hyperpower! and end with In This Twilight and Hurt.

That would make my year.

mcp on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Would it make your YEAR ZERO???????????????????????????

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    ??????????????????????????????????????

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
  • Options
    potatoepotatoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    either jordyn is really curious

or she is using a language that i do not have installed fonts for

potatoe on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Jordyn wrote: »
    Would it make your YEAR ZERO???????????????????????????
    Derivative D-Y equals three R squared DR over three

mcp on
  • Options
    World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I am listening to this right now

It is tons better than that last album, that dancy shit

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • Options
    Jazz SamuraiJazz Samurai Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Someone ripped that free stream from NIN.com so now I have it I guess.

It is much better than With Teeth.

Jazz Samurai on
    yup
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Really tempted to go to NIN.com and listen to some more of the tracks but I think I'll just wait until I have a copy of the CD in hand tomorrow.

Nice to know that the first impressions are all positive so far though.

Rehab on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

piracy

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2007

piracy

He's going to buy the album.

Or else.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Bloods End wrote: »

piracy

Or else.

or else what?

he'll save $20?

potatoe on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    If you have garage band 3, you can dowload the Survivalism file for it and do your own remixes.

I think that's pretty cool.

mcp on
  • Options
    Riggs BlitzkriegRiggs Blitzkrieg Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    With teeth kind of sucked. Year Zero is much better

Riggs Blitzkrieg on
  • Options
    Jazz SamuraiJazz Samurai Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I will probably buy this album, it is very good.

Jazz Samurai on
    yup
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    i probably won't even listen to it

NiN is one of those bands that i don't hate, they just are linked to other things in my brain that i'd better left in there

potatoe on
  • Options
    WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I like Zero Sum, it's especially powerful if you're really into the ARG.

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    potatoe wrote: »
    Bloods End wrote: »

piracy

Or else.

or else what?

he'll save $20?

I'll stab him.

Unless you wear an eyepatch and a cutless while pirating, you don't get to pirate.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    potatoe wrote: »
    i probably won't even listen to it

NiN is one of those bands that i don't hate, they just are linked to other things in my brain that i'd better left in there
    yeah man, NIN always reminds me of running around in kelethin or hunting fucking brownies for brownie parts because I wanted to max out my cooking or quad-kiting hill giants

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    you quoting me alerted me to the fact that my sentence fell completely apart at the end

potatoe on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I was kind of wondering what you were trying to get across with that.

Rehab on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    that NiN brings up dumb memories every time i listen to them, so i have trouble with it

kind of like how listening to leftfield makes me think of unreal gold

potatoe on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Oh okay, I actually once knew someone like this myself. I had no idea about this meeting her but she used to really be into Nine Inch Nails and Trent Reznor and at this time she also went through a goth faze. However, there were no signs of her being goth-like when I saw her because she was actually a really enthusiastic (if not a bit overly so) and otherwise normal person. Then one day me and my roommates are talking about NIN and she starts going on about all of these concert experiences that she had and how she used to have a crush on Reznor. She no longer listens to NIN and I think it is because of the whole connection to that music and the time when she was gothic.

Rehab on
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm getting it. Apparently a second part is coming next year.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    I'm getting it. Apparently a second part is coming next year.

Wow, really? Reznor seems to be cranking out some real quality stuff now and fast.

I think most fans are used to waiting about six years in between albums.

Rehab on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Man, don't be hatin' on With Teeth. It certainly wasn't great, but it was a solid album.

But Year Zero is definitely shaping up to be exceptional.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I think the immediacy is because it's all narrative and whatnot. And I really enjoy the narrative, warts and all. The unofficial NIN wiki is a good resource for that.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD