As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MICHAEL BAY ON]Bad Company 2: Carl Gustav is king!

• Options
    SherlokSherlok Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    TekDragon wrote: »
    Klyka wrote: »
    What's the "mystery number" in the scoreboard?
    The number in game is not PING.
    What the number shows in game is game latency.
    This is basically how far behind the client is compared to the server.
    We try to keep the server a small portion in front of the clients so in most cases it can use replicated data until they get the next ghost update from the server. If there is a lag spike it will start predicting the state when they run out of information, however, the basic idea is to smooth out the experience compared to everything having to be corrected when the predictions are slightly off.

And this is different from ping... how?

Ping was always a measure of latency.

Ok, good. Someone else said it. Because I was confused and didn't want to sound like an idiot saying something wrong.

Isn't ping normally the time in ms it takes for a packet to travel from you to the server and back again? This sounds more like a measure of how far behind the current gamestate the client is compared to the server. This one being a measure of not only network latency, but in-game as well?

Or am I just making shit up.

Sherlok on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Game isn't balanced for ping.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    JastJast Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    1943 is never coming to the PC, right?

Probaly not. Now that I think of it, it seemed like a test run for them to try out their new ideas. It was a very good test though, and before BC2 came out I would say it was the best MP game on Xbox.

Jast on
    Jast39.png
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Machismo wrote: »
    Well obviously you are both mistaken since it says that it is NOT ping.

All hail DICE, glorious in their encyclopedic knowledge of PC games.

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Hey man, Have you made a game?
    They obviously know what they're talking about.

As demonstrated by the CONSTANT curving bullets. I love going behind cover and THEN dieing. It is so awesome.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    strategerystrategery Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Jast wrote: »

Probaly not. Now that I think of it, it seemed like a test run for them to try out their new ideas. It was a very good test though, and before BC2 came out I would say it was the best MP game on Xbox.

I would have happily said the same thing if it had more maps. I got tired of playing Iwo Jima for the 4 millionth time. For some reason that game decided from day 1 that Iwo Jima was the only map of the three I was allowed to play.

strategery on
    Strategeryz0r.png
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Listening to the Black Hawk Down soundtrack while playing this game is pretty sweet. Fits it to a tee, what with all the gunfire and shouting going around.

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sherlok wrote: »

Isn't ping normally the time in ms it takes for a packet to travel from you to the server and back again? This sounds more like a measure of how far behind the current gamestate the client is compared to the server. This one being a measure of not only network latency, but in-game as well?

Or am I just making shit up.

Client side latency (aka draw time) can effect ping, but not to the extent actual network latency will. That said, terrible net code can very much effect your ping. DICE has always written top notch netcode though, so I doubt it does in their case.

If you had to break it down, I would say the average persons ping is 5% system latency (including net code) and 90% packet travel time and 5% server code latency.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    Goomba wrote: »
    Bullshit it is. It's an excellent mid range weapons that requires skill to operate. Unlike the CG it doesn't work in close quarters (or even close-medium) and the explosive radius is smaller.

If you know how to use terrain its very hard to get hit by one (I almost never die to them).
    haha yeah it's pretty hard to let go of shift and click somewhere around a person.

Let's see you do it, then.
    What, kill people with the 203? I did all the time when I wanted to get assault taken care of. Proses use smoke.

Also I think they're saying that it's not the normal from you to server, but you to server to you. Which would be why it's twice as high.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

As demonstrated by the CONSTANT curving bullets. I love going behind cover and THEN dieing. It is so awesome.

I have to be honest and say that I am surprised by how often I manage to actually get behind cover and then NOT die from lag bullets in this game. Especially compared to Modern Lagfare 2.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I wasn't being sarcastic or anything
    I was being Serious
    I know it's hard to believe on the internet.

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    TekDragonTekDragon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    AntiQuo wrote: »
    Doesn't matter to you anyway, Shift+3+mouse1

40mm skill awwwwwyea

I suppose I could just join Angry Dome and knife you all to the face repeatedly.

TekDragon on
  • Options
    rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    I want this game.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2010
    What's the "mystery number" in the scoreboard?
    The number in game is not PING.
    What the number shows in game is game latency.
    This is basically how far behind the client is compared to the server.
    We try to keep the server a small portion in front of the clients so in most cases it can use replicated data until they get the next ghost update from the server. If there is a lag spike it will start predicting the state when they run out of information, however, the basic idea is to smooth out the experience compared to everything having to be corrected when the predictions are slightly off.

So that's why I can drop a mine just before I get killed, see it bounce on the ground and then vanish.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

And people with their back to you spraying bullets out of their ass.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    GnomeTank wrote: »

Client side latency (aka draw time) can effect ping, but not to the extent actual network latency will. That said, terrible net code can very much effect your ping. DICE has always written top notch netcode though, so I doubt it does in their case.

If you had to break it down, I would say the average persons ping is 5% system latency (including net code) and 90% packet travel time and 5% server code latency.

The way it sounded to me is that they keep their server and client purposefully off-sync - with the server leading the client (which boggles my mind, but I'll run with it). The in game latency would be how many ms you're off from the current state of the game which is stored on the server (with no opportunity to hit 0 ever).

In essence it's not ping, but can be treated exactly the same with more tolerance for having higher numbers?

Sherlok on
  • Options
    SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I want this game.

get this game

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So kinda funny story..i guess.. BC2 uses a really archaic system of sending one icmp echo to each server on the list in order to get pings. So in essence every time you refresh the server browser you're sending a ping to 400+ different computers at the same time, which looks identical to certain virus attacks, which caused my ISP to automatically shutdown my internet and I have been informed it will be shutdown again automatically whenever it occurs D:

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    SoaL wrote: »
    I want this game.

get this game

^^^^^^
    My review of the game in a nutshell.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    RigellRigell Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sooo 370+Slugs+Magnum Ammo is orgasmic.

It feels so much like playing 1942 as an engineer with the No.4 rifle. Things drop in one hit almost always, decent range and up close it's just murder.

...as long as you're quick with that first shot. Still, totally in love. Toss a med pack down and then kill people. Mordin would be proud.

Rigell on
    Skobes.png
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

The way it sounded to me is that they keep their server and client purposefully off-sync - with the server leading the client (which boggles my mind, but I'll run with it). The in game latency would be how many ms you're off from the current state of the game which is stored on the server (with no opportunity to hit 0 ever).

In essence it's not ping, but can be treated exactly the same with more tolerance for having higher numbers?

Yah, this seems to be the case with BC2. It's kind of a strange network system, honestly. It's not really predictive (though can be if lag is bad), and it's not really dead reckoning....

That said, the server leading the client is very normal, at least in PC games with a centralized server. You never want the client to be an authoritative participant, because of cheating. How the server leads the client is what changes, and in the case of BC2, they seem to have come up with something entirely new, which may require some tweaking. If I know DICE, they decided to go with this network system in BC2 as a run up to Battlefield 3 (or 4, if you consider 2142 BF "3"). Get the kinks worked out in Bad Company before they release the next "full" Battlefield.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Bullshit it is. It's an excellent mid range weapons that requires skill to operate. Unlike the CG it doesn't work in close quarters (or even close-medium) and the explosive radius is smaller.

If you know how to use terrain its very hard to get hit by one (I almost never die to them).
    haha yeah it's pretty hard to let go of shift and click somewhere around a person.

What, kill people with the 203? I did all the time when I wanted to get assault taken care of. Proses use smoke.

Also I think they're saying that it's not the normal from you to server, but you to server to you. Which would be why it's twice as high.

Smoke is clutch. Especially when it is was placed by someone else and they're not expecting a knife-wielding maniac to run into it.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Why can't I connect to the angry dooome

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Malkor wrote: »

Smoke is clutch. Especially when it is was placed by someone else and they're not expecting a knife-wielding maniac to run into it.

Just hope you're not marked running into it, or else you just look silly.

Sherlok on
  • Options
    John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I want this game.

I thought you had it.

Come rage about game mechanics with us.

In other news, I love the smoke launcher. Feels really good to bombard the mcom with smoke and rush in and arm. Of course half the time the defenders rush in and use the same smoke to disarm but hey.

I got my 30 points.

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • Options
    KendrikKendrik Lewisville, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

Yah, this seems to be the case with BC2. It's kind of a strange network system, honestly. It's not really predictive (though can be if lag is bad), and it's not really dead reckoning....

That said, the server leading the client is very normal, at least in PC games with a centralized server. You never want the client to be an authoritative participant, because of cheating. How the server leads the client is what changes, and in the case of BC2, they seem to have come up with something entirely new, which may require some tweaking. If I know DICE, they decided to go with this network system in BC2 as a run up to Battlefield 3 (or 4, if you consider 2142 BF "3"). Get the kinks worked out in Bad Company before they release the next "full" Battlefield.

Yeah, they way they describe it sounds like that "PING" in-game includes a variable related to some sort of buffer to help reduce jitter, similar to what is used in VoIP applications. This could help to essentially "simulate" a fixed amount of latency for all users and let the system deplete the buffer during lag spikes.

Whatever they're doing, it seems to work very well in general, with some exceptions (knifing seems especially susceptible to weirdness).

Kendrik on
    steam_sig.png
    For your own Steam Signature visit https://alabasterslim.com/steam-signatures/
    Guild Wars 2: Kendrik.5984
  • Options
    WitchdrWitchdr Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    MrDelish wrote: »
    I've heard from an overwhelming number of reliable sources that Flippy is a terrible sniper in this game

how true is this?

He might not be the sniper he is in TF2 but hes a damn good squadmate, Last time I grouped with him it was Me (fraglerock), my brother (el chinchilla) and some other random PA guy. I dont think we ever didn't get top squad pin.

Witchdr on
    "Look, all I know is that this cord was plugged into my house and your house was glowing like the freakin' sun. So, I put two and two together there and decided that you're pissing me off." -Carl Brutananadilewski

In regards to the advocates of his former empire: “I was going to have them all executed… the Royal Advocate talked me out of it.” -Shadowthrone (Emperor Kellanved)

Handles: LoL-Emerging, BF4/Hardline-Whiskeyjack227, Steam-Fragglerock, HOTS/Blizzard-Whiskeyjack#1333, Life-Jason
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    In other news, I love the smoke launcher. Feels really good to bombard the mcom with smoke and rush in and arm. Of course half the time the defenders rush in and use the same smoke to disarm but hey.
    smiley_smug.gif
    I got my 30 points.

I always hear a specific kind of voice when I see that gif.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Crash to desktop, can't log on again, rage against EA

Echo on
  • Options
    StollyStolly Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Well, in my LE box for the PC version of BC2 I got a promotional leaflet that stated 1943 is coming "soon" , with PC enhanced features, and some pricing information.

Stolly on
  • Options
    John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Echo wrote: »

You can't spell rage without EA.

Not in that order mind you.

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

Quick, raise the Gustav signal!

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    MugaazMugaaz Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

You can't spell rage without EA.

Not in that order mind you.

I get a video BSOD in game every 15 mins. I feel like I got taken. No one has found a fix that works and EA isn't saying anything about it. This is 2nd Battlefield game I've regretted buying due to tech issues (the first being BF2142). I mean seriously, BF2 is still a better experience than this mess and it's how many years old? I'm super pissed off at myself for buying this game after I already knew they did this stuff in the past with BF2142. I'm not gonna make this mistake again. I tried AGAIn to play last night and played 45 seconds before I got another freeze and just said fuck it. There is a 56 page thread about it and all the fixes posted by users there have not worked for me.

Mugaaz on
  • Options
    Lt. FraggLt. Fragg Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

I think he is busy cutting line in a Boy Scout buffet.

Spoilered for size.

Boy_Scouts_Pancake_2fe0.jpg

Serious Carl Gustav is serious.

Lt. Fragg on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I encountered a bug earlier where I switched teams at the beginning of the round and it spawned me in my old team's base.

Then I killed three guys and stole an ATV and Goomba got mad at me.

edit: this was on a conquest map

tofu on
  • Options
    MugaazMugaaz Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    tofu wrote: »
    I encountered a bug earlier where I switched teams at the beginning of the round and it spawned me in my old team's base.

Then I killed three guys and stole an ATV and Goomba got mad at me.

edit: this was on a conquest map

Got to admit, that's pretty awesome.

Mugaaz on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

gustavshocked.jpg

EA DID WHAT?

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    TheBanaTheBana Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

I'm about 2 pages behind and someone may have already said this but my Ltd Ed slip with the retail version says it'll be available from the EA online store for £9.99.

For the PC.

Unless I'm mistaken, the slip is in the other room. I'll double check it in a minute.

EDIT - Yep, super beat'd.

TheBana on
    Monster Hunter Tri - TheBana/FZVK6U; Skype - TheBana84;
  • Options
    Nayl219Nayl219 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Argh. I only ever seem to end up in pubbie squads that are all recons who would rather kill people from far away than cap/defend mcomm stations.

Anyone looking for an objective minded, any class playing squad mate, feel free to friends list me,

brautigan219 on the xbox 360.

On a side note, I dont think Ive enjoyed anything more than ive enjoyed making my own doors with the 40 mm as an assault. Going from building to building blowing open walls makes me ha-ha-ha-happy

Nayl219 on
    Gamertag: brautigan219
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Nayl219 wrote: »
    Argh. I only ever seem to end up in pubbie squads that are all recons who would rather kill people from far away than cap/defend mcomm stations.

Anyone looking for an objective minded, any class playing squad mate, feel free to friends list me,

brautigan219 on the xbox 360.

On a side note, I dont think Ive enjoyed anything more than ive enjoyed making my own doors with the 40 mm as an assault. Going from building to building blowing open walls makes me ha-ha-ha-happy

I'll defintely friend you. I like playing on the 360 save for the fact that no one seems to use mics anymore. Makes it hard to play as a team.

edit: I'll be sending friend requests to the guys from the OP as well.

Yall on
This discussion has been closed.