As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sonic Rush Adventure

LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In CyberspaceThe Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited June 2007 in Games and Technology
Just announced this morning.

1718sralogo031507finalcsp7.jpg
SEGA ANNOUNCES SONIC RUSH ADVENTURE FOR THE NINTENDO DS

Sequel to Critically-Acclaimed Sonic Rush is now in Development

LONDON & SAN FRANCISCO (April 16, 2007) - SEGA® Europe Ltd. and SEGA® of America Inc. today announced the development of Sonic Rush Adventure™ for the Nintendo DS™ system. Sonic Rush Adventure will seamlessly utilise both screens of the Nintendo DS to navigate the high seas in search of pirate treasure, delivering Sonic’s classic high-speed 2D gameplay in the ultimate Sonic handheld experience. Developed by SEGA Studios, Sonic Rush Adventure for the Nintendo DS will be available in Autumn 2007.

Sonic returns to the Nintendo DS in an all-new frantic adventure complete with dizzying dives, near vertical curves and brain twisting loops. Sonic Rush Adventure will retain the DS action that fans loved so much from Sonic Rush™, as well as providing a new high seas adventure where Sonic clashes with ruthless pirates. Players will set off from Windmill Village as Sonic and blast their way through seven action-packed and widely diverse levels. Sonic Rush Adventure will make full use of the DS Download Play feature and Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, which enables gamers to compete with friends in wireless racing and mission-based battles.

Guide Sonic through numerous action stages in the fast and furious single player mode, whilst collecting valuable items and materials that enable Sonic and Tails to track down the villainous pirates. With a fleet of up to five ships, including a submarine, water bike and hovercraft, Sonic Rush Adventure uses the Touch Screen technology in exciting new ways. Use the Nintendo DS Stylus to help control vessels as they race across the ocean gathering rings, performing tricks, and torching pirate boats, whilst engaging in fierce ship-to-ship battles. At the end of each level, epic 3D boss battles spanning both screens will test gamers skills to result in an ultimate showdown with the evil boss character, Captain Whisker.

Sonic Rush Adventure allows players to bounce, fly, swing, ride and run through grand environments of lush forests, an ominous ghost ship, snow covered mountains, pirate villages and a vast underwater sea cave. Along the way there will be a variety of enemy characters to battle against including robots, skeleton warriors, pterodactyls, and a robotic triceratops.

pic4079164124b0iy0.jpg pic407716416c96nb1.jpg pic40761641e2c0mh9.jpg pic407816427721gy9.jpg pic407516428922cc1.jpg

Shamelessly stolen from another forum I go to. Didn't see another thread on it.

Hopefully it's as good as the original Rush.

Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
Legacy on

• Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Looks cool.

Also TSR totally called this.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    DuskTwilightDuskTwilight Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    TSR called this a bit ago. If it's anything like the first it'll be the hot shit.

DuskTwilight on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I called it too...

Also, the 3D sections don't look great, hopefully I enjoy this more than I personally did the first Rush (don't respond to this arguing Rush was awesome, it just wasn't for me)

LewieP on
  • Options
    TechnicalityTechnicality Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Well done TSR.

I sure hope the bosses are a bit better this time. I really felt they let the rest of the game down.

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I hope that "Adventure" doesn't mean Sonic and 5 other characters we don't want to have to play as

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I hope that "Adventure" doesn't mean Sonic and 5 other characters we don't want to have to play as

But I want to play as Knuckles.

He's always been my favorite to play as.

Pata on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    well knuckles in 2D would be ok. No fucking emerald shard hunts.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    HELLS YES

Sonic Rush is my favorite DS game ever. If this is even half as good I'm gonna be ecstatic.

Wi-Fi Play.

FUCK YES.

Edit: I will kick all of your asses online.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    So no more Blaze? Oh well. Maybe I'll get to play as Amy instead.
    Needs more Big fishing.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    BbajBbaj Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Maybe I should play Sonic Rush.

Bbaj on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    So no more Blaze? Oh well. Maybe I'll get to play as Amy instead.
    Needs more Big fishing.
    :x

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I'm imagining Big being used as a projectile in ship fights.

Like in Rocket Slime.

Pata on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2007
    It'll be pretty okay until you get to the seventh world and it completely ruins the game

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Also I hope the boss battles aren't as lame as Sonic Rush's. Those were the low point of the game for me.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    This is cool. I'm really surprised that there's no sign of other characters yet, could be a good thing.

Jimothy on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    It mentions Tails, so he might be playable.

Pata on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Pata wrote: »
    he may be returning to his "cheerleader" role from the first sonic rush.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Wow, I missed that somehow. I must be losing it.

Jimothy on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Pata wrote: »
    he may be returning to his "cheerleader" role from the first sonic rush.

I hope not.

Darn it give me Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and maybe Amy and I'll be happy.

Pata on
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It appears that Sega is clearly in full swing on their road to Sonic recovery. Hooray!

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    and then they announce that after the first level you'll only be able to use shadow as he rapes and pillages across liberty city

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Shadow sniffing rings off a young boys ass. The boy is also named Ring.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Wait, so this game is Pirate themed?

Is this the new Sonic trend, where every new game has some cartoony theme to it?

First, Arabian Nights.
    Now, Pirates.
    Whats next? Knuckles the Ninja and Robotnik the Shogun?

Edit: Not saying I wont love this game.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    About fucking time.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    BantryBantry Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I hope the 3d stages are just expanded water themed versions of the special stages in Rush.

I'd like to see tails or Knuckles as a playable characters, Being able to boost while climbing or flying would be awesome.

And I second everything about the bosses needing to be a lot beter this time around. Please dear god can we nopt have the one hit kill attacks and the shitty button mashing bits.

And no Eggman Nega. He was crap.

Bantry on
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Bantry wrote: »

Everytime I read his name, I could only think of this guy:
    negaduckheadereb9.gif

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It's nice to see Sonic colourful again. I won't be getting this if it has the same level design and gameplay engine as Rush though; a very disappointing game that.

So.. why is this an Adventure?

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

They are adding some camera issues to the rush formular.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    LewieP wrote: »

They are adding some camera issues to the rush formular.
    ba-dum pish

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It's nice to see Sonic colourful again. I won't be getting this if it has the same level design and gameplay engine as Rush though; a very disappointing game that.

SEGA wrote:
    With a fleet of up to five ships, including a submarine, water bike and hovercraft, Sonic Rush Adventure uses the Touch Screen technology in exciting new ways. Use the Nintendo DS Stylus to help control vessels as they race across the ocean gathering rings, performing tricks, and torching pirate boats, whilst engaging in fierce ship-to-ship battles.

Sounds like there's some kind of bit where you have boat racing/fighting/whatever, kinda like how you had gummyship routes in Kingdom Hearts to get to levels. I'm assuming given the pirate theme that each level is an island, and the ship minigame is how you get from island to island.

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • Options
    LeztaLezta Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Bantry wrote: »

And he was too black. And too strong.
    Subtle, Sonic Team. Subtle.

Lezta on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I had the same thoughts hearing that song

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I hope to god that the same dude who did the soundtrack to Rush does the soundtrack to this

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Keith wrote: »
    It'll be pretty okay until you get to the seventh world and it completely ruins the game

I'm hoping to god this doesn't happen again. I want to level design to be just a bit better than Rush's (i.e. no masisve bottomless that you can't see coming because they're 3 screens below you) and for the vehicle stages to not suck. then I'm game.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    yeah, the design philosophy of "main challenge is learning where the bottomless pits are" needs to go away

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    yeah, the design philosophy of "main challenge is learning where the bottomless pits are" needs to go away

Honestly, what's the deal? I never had a single problem due to bottomless pits? Seriously, I'm baffled as to why so many people whine about this.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    YodaTuna wrote: »

Honestly, what's the deal? I never had a single problem due to bottomless pits? Seriously, I'm baffled as to why so many people whine about this.

Because a lot of us did. Especially in that damn Sky Fortress type level (World 6 was it?).

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Sonic and tales co-op

Please Sonic and Tales co-op

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    SirUltimos wrote: »
    YodaTuna wrote: »

Because a lot of us did. Especially in that damn Sky Fortress type level (World 6 was it?).
    And if you compare it to the designs of the classic 2D sonics, there was much less emphasis on bottomless pits and more emphasis on enemies and platforming

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Bloods End wrote: »
    Sonic and tales co-op

Please Sonic and Tales co-op

Now this is an idea I can get behind.

SirUltimos on