As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Oh, snap! Buckwolfe totally made a thread!

BuckwolfeBuckwolfe Starts With Them, Ends With UsRegistered User regular
edited July 2010 in Artist's Corner
also, make a thread for this, man. It's worth it.

Happy now?

I guess I'll just start dumping my shit in here, instead of cluttering up the [DOODLE] thread.

Miniature_Soldiers_by_Buckwolfe.png

Miniature_Soldier_Fix__d_by_Buckwolfe.png

Miniature_Sweeping_Man_by_Buckwolfe.png

Miniature_Style_Maesea_by_Buckwolfe.png

Miniature_Knight_by_Buckwolfe.png

Mano's fix
that suffers from the same thing as the peenmonster. your outlines are varying too greatly in value. Here, man. check this:

buckstuff.jpg

On the knight, I darkened his pants outline and lightened his sword handle outline. On the monster, I darkened the outlines for tailspike, arms, eyes, and teeth.

And a BONUS!!
Miniature_Griffith_by_Buckwolfe.png

Buckwolfe on

• Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This is cool. It reminds me of stained glass. Is that what you're going for?

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    BuckwolfeBuckwolfe Starts With Them, Ends With Us Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yeah. Pretty much stained glass meets Persian miniatures, and illumined manuscripts.

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    ...and castle crashers.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Ah, that's awesome. I think that some of the images could have been constructed differently, particularly the...what is that, an antlion?

I'm thinking that an image like that would be more effective as a silhouette than as an actual picture. What exactly are you trying to do?

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    pleased. now make another large monster... and a small monster... and a dog, and a horse, and a damsel!

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yes, we need a damsel, please. I like that sweeping beard guy!

NibCrom on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    ...and castle crashers.

Never played it, or watched any gameplay actually. Didn't Jhonen Vasquez work on some of the concept art, or art direction on that one? I can't remember.
    pleased. now make another large monster... and a small monster... and a dog, and a horse, and a damsel!

Don't push your luck. You're lucky you caught me in a good mood the first time, pal.

OK. I might draw a dog, but not because you asked. I just so happen to feel like drawing a doggy...

Anyway. Tiny update, plus some armor/weapon studies from the past month or so that I originally dumped in the doodle thread.

Miniature_Knight_Dump1_by_Buckwolfe.png

Shoulder_Armor_by_Buckwolfe.png
    Eight_Helmets_by_Buckwolfe.png
    Axe_Studies_by_Buckwolfe.png

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Dude, I loooooove these! The knights are friggin awesome!
    If you're going to draw a dog, draw zodd. He's sort of like a dog. Or a lion. Or something.

Sad griffith makes me happy.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Whooh! Praise from Gibs!

I almost completely forgot that you were a fellow Berserk fan. I might just give drawing Zodd a whirl tonight!

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Oh my goodness, these are wonderful. I love the knights ultra tiny feet.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Oh my goodness, these are wonderful. I love the knights ultra tiny feet.

Well you know what they say about Medieval era European knights with tiny feet......

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I love the little cutsy berserk art :)

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    IkageIkage Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I am in aw of the meticulous adorable of everything in this thread. I love the detail you took with assembling the armory, it looks like you poured yourself into a bunch of research before drawing these.

Ikage on
    STRONGER THEN DIRT!! DIRT STRONG!
  • Options
    JLM-AWPJLM-AWP Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I totally mean this in a good way, since some would mean it in a bad way, but these totally remind me of Wind Waker. The last sketch of that knight with the increased depth makes me want to play the hell out of the game you haven't made yet. Very cool stuff.

JLM-AWP on
  • Options
    feebsiclefeebsicle a feebs Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    these are cool. i love the round little heads.

feebsicle on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Miniature_Swatches_by_Buckwolfe.png

Some swatch-like patternish squares of different surfaces and whatnot. They're mostly just for practice, and to keep as visual reminders for how things might look when I start drawing full scenes in this style.

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    CheerfulBearCheerfulBear Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm not entirely convinced about the look/aesthetic you're trying to achieve. When I first saw these I didn't think of illuminated manuscripts or Persian miniatures. And seeing as how the Medieval European illuminations are quite different from Middle-Eastern miniatures, maybe you should focus on one and try to emulate the style based on reference material before trying to merge both of them. There are a lot of online resources too, I don't know if you've been using any in particular.

One of my favorite blogs focuses entirely on manuscripts. Here are a couple links just from browsing around on the site:

Medieval European:
    http://bibliodyssey.blogspot.com/2009/09/romance-of-alexander-great.html
    3931436418_d29db5d7a1_b.jpg

Renaissance European:
    http://bibliodyssey.blogspot.com/2009/10/knightly-arts.html
    4042575744_e8d4a888b8_b.jpg
    4041828389_85c3fd34f1_b.jpg

Turkish 17th Century Costumes:
    http://bibliodyssey.blogspot.com/2009/09/turkish-costumes.html
    3966322146_fcd80ea80a_o.jpg

http://bibliodyssey.blogspot.com/2005/12/rlamb-costume-book.html
    Guard.jpg

CheerfulBear on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I'm not entirely convinced about the look/aesthetic you're trying to achieve. When I first saw these I didn't think of illuminated manuscripts or Persian miniatures. And seeing as how the Medieval European illuminations are quite different from Middle-Eastern miniatures, maybe you should focus on one and try to emulate the style based on reference material before trying to merge both of them. There are a lot of online resources too, I don't know if you've been using any in particular.

One of my favorite blogs focuses entirely on manuscripts. Here are a couple links just from browsing around on the site

Clearly, I am way, way overdo for a response! I've really been slacking art-wise, and my attention has been bouncing back and forth between other things. Probably less important things albeit, but still. I almost forgot about this thread entirely. I hadn't even noticed your incredibly valid, and exceedingly helpful post, Cheerful!

I'll grant you that my drawings I've posted as of late might not necessarily shout either illuminated manuscripts, or Persian miniatures to you or other people. There's a good chance it doesn't come across. I'm not even sure I'm trying to really emulate one or the other, or both at the same time. I just happen to be a fan of both, and think I've taken what bits and pieces that I like from each of them to work with. I keep both art forms in mind while doodling like this. But maybe I should try focusing on one or the other?

As for those references you posted, they're exceedingly helpful! I'm astonished that I didn't stumble upon that site before. I feel almost stupid for having not found it on my own.

I'll try focusing on just one of the two (illuminated manuscripts, or Persian miniatures) at a time, and see what happens. I've been pretty dodgy when it comes to drawing in general lately though. In the mean while, these are about a month old, but I never posted them so...

Miniature_Knight_Helmets_by_Buckwolfe.png

And also lions!!!
    Lion_Studies_by_Buckwolfe.png

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Fuck. It's been over two months since I've updated this shit? I guess I'm about due then, eh?

Well I'd certainly appreciate any crits y'all can spare on this one. Especially if any of you could provide a drawover. I tend to respond better to visual examples after all. I'm almost certain of everything I've done wrong on this piece so far, but I'm at a loss as to how to fix any of it. Go figure. I never was any good when it comes to value. I tried, but i think this is as far as I'm able to take this one on my lonesome.

Simon_Lich_Head_by_Buckwolfe.png
    Simon_Lich_Head_2_by_Buckwolfe.png
    Simon_Lich_Head_3_by_Buckwolfe.png
    Simon_Lich_Head_4_by_Buckwolfe.png

Granted it is just a head study thing, but it's based on a slightly older drawing from a little less than two years ago. One which I know I posted here. I doubt anyone remembers it though. If you do, then kudos for what is more than likely a very superb memory.

cf82bcc7c5caa5ec992379362be4d75c.jpg

EDIT - Oh, and I guess I did this fairly recently too. I suppose it's worth posting. It's more of a slightly crummy doodle if anything. Pretty generic over all, but there's a good chance that I'll decide to revisit it in like a month or so, and do something more worthwhile with it. If nothing else, it'll make for a solid base to expand upon.

5_20_10_sketch_by_Buckwolfe.png

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The glyphs on that standardscythe remind me of Barlowe's Inferno.

Eyestalks-mouth guy's feet aren't doing it for me. I get visually stuck on what a weak and painful a way to carry so much mass that looks like, but this may have been your intent and this is probably something that can be chalked up to preference vs. any actual issue with it.

Superficial comments from me all round because for the most part I just <3 your pictars.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Truthfully, when I drew Simon the first time, the feet felt like such a good idea. But when I actually fleshed it out, it became painfully obvious just how poorly they would work in reality. I kept them though, because they looked kinda neat. I plan on redoing them though. Cool as they look, they just don't work.

I'm actually really happy that anything I draw could remind someone of Barlowe's work. He's a major inspiration to me. Second only to Kentaro Miura. So that comment made me feel really good about myself, Squidy. =D

I'm taking one more pass at Simon's head tonight. Jeff Himmelman was super cool enough to do a killer draw over for me, so I'm going to apply what he did as best I can. I'm sure I'll post what I'm able to later tonight. That'll probably be the end of that one though.

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    K. I think I'm pretty much done with this one now.

Or at least I hope so.

Simon_Lich_Head_5_by_Buckwolfe.png

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Buckwolfe wrote: »
    K. I think I'm pretty much done with this one now.

Or at least I hope so.

Simon_Lich_Head_5_by_Buckwolfe.png

I like it, but it seems like you could bump up the contrast a little bit. Maybe push the darks on his mouth and eyes?

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    so BORED!

I demand more little cute shit!

ManonvonSuperock on