As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Oh, James Okeefe...why are you such a douche? [ACORN]

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    That video's horrible.

I'm personally a fan of the windbag reporter who thinks he's asking the tough questons asking: "Why won't you treat white supremacists the same as the National Black Caucus? They're the same! Why do you not treat them the same?"

This is Rubriv Von Rubrik, rubricing for Rubric rubrics.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Deebaser wrote: »

D:

My hat's off to that guy for remaining as cool as he did, because there is not enough D: in the world to adequately describe some of those questions. Not to betray my ignorance or anything, but who is Blumenthal exactly? I can't recall seeing the name come up before.

rndmhero on
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    rndmhero wrote: »

D:

My hat's off to that guy for remaining as cool as he did, because there is not enough D: in the world to adequately describe some of those questions. Not to betray my ignorance or anything, bu who is Blumenthal exactly? I can't recall seeing the name come up before.

He wrote "Republican Gomorrah: Inside the Movement that Shattered the Party".

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    rndmhero wrote: »

D:

My hat's off to that guy for remaining as cool as he did, because there is not enough D: in the world to adequately describe some of those questions. Not to betray my ignorance or anything, bu who is Blumenthal exactly? I can't recall seeing the name come up before.

He wrote "Republican Gomorrah: Inside the Movement that Shattered the Party".

Wikipedia:
    Max Blumenthal is an American liberal investigative journalist, columnist, documentary filmmaker, and political vlogger. His work has been featured on NPR, MSNBC, The Nation,[1], Washington Monthly, The American Prospect, The Huffington Post,[2] Salon Magazine, Al Jazeera English, Alternet, Democracy Now!, Countdown with Keith Olbermann, and The Rachel Maddow Show. His investigative reporting has been cited by the Boston Globe,[3] The American Prospect,[4] San Francisco Chronicle,[5] CBS News,[6] Newsday,[7] Rocky Mountain News,[8] Christianity Today,[9] Los Angeles Times,[10] The Guardian,[11] Chicago Tribune,[12] Fox News,[13] and Time Magazine,[14] - among many other news outlets. The winner of the USC Annenberg Online Journalism Award for his investigative print journalism, he has produced numerous widely-recognized video reports that have garnered hundreds of thousands of hits on Youtube and other sites.[2]

The son of former Clinton administration presidential aide Sidney Blumenthal,[15] he is also a Puffin Writing Fellow at the New York-based Nation Institute, a research fellow for the progressive Media Matters for America,[1][15] and senior contributor at The Daily Beast. Blumenthal's first book, Republican Gomorrah: Inside the Movement that Shattered the Party, was published in September 2009.

He seems a bit controversial even among Liberals, not surprising given the topics he writes about, but that guy near the end of the video, I think it was Andrew Breitbart yelling at him, his attacks were uncalled for and the classic definition of over-reacting without real cause. He was pouring all those varied reasons, which may or may not have had anything to do with Blumenthal, onto him just to vent his general anger at those things at something he could yell at. My hat too is off to Mr Max for withstanding that disgusting orgy of media stupidity.

I don't know much about Max, but I give him the benefit of the doubt right now based on that video and all the anger and shit he had to put up with. I might just read his book.

Also, Hannah Giles seems like she'd be such a sweet girl if her head wasn't full of air.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It's also quite telling that of the dozens of cameras they had pointing at him none of them were able to upload a bit to youtube of him saying/doing something stupid.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So I don't know anything about parliamentary procedure, but is it too late to bring this to a vote?

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=hr111-809

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So I don't know anything about parliamentary procedure, but is it too late to bring this to a vote?

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=hr111-809

I <3 Texas

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Irony, thy name is H. Res 809.

Havelock on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    They should probably reinstate funding first.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Havelock wrote: »
    Irony, thy name is H. Res 809.

So much irony.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Let them bring it to a vote.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ooh, I've got a new name for this thread: Oh, ACORN...why must you be flypaper for right-wing freaks?

Man in the Mists on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Just a blogger who's an editor of theirs, but good lord "I saw this tape once by a person known for fabricating shit to make up whatever he wants, and this isn't on brietbart so it must be truely awful, lets just assume its entirely true!"

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

When I read the 'I wish I could provide more details' line, I knew this was going to be an excellent show of investigative reporting.

I thought it was interesting that the author completely ignored what the federal prosecutors found in regards to O'Keefe's tapes being highly edited.

Stay classy Wired.

Havelock on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yeah... that conversation sounds like it would be crazy easy to edit. The guy from Wired's failure in the article is not pointing that out.
    I wish I could provide more details — like the names of the staffers, or the exact dates of the recordings. But O’Keefe showed me the tapes just once, and quickly. O’Keefe did mention, however, that he was surprised he was able to avoid the federal buildings’ security systems.

Yep, that's O'Keefe misleading him. And I somehow doubt the building's "security" was easily penetrated. Unless the interview was being done at gunpoint or something.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Yeah... that conversation sounds like it would be crazy easy to edit. The guy from Wired's failure in the article is not pointing that out.
    I wish I could provide more details — like the names of the staffers, or the exact dates of the recordings. But O’Keefe showed me the tapes just once, and quickly. O’Keefe did mention, however, that he was surprised he was able to avoid the federal buildings’ security systems.

Yep, that's O'Keefe misleading him. And I somehow doubt the building's "security" was easily penetrated. Unless the interview was being done at gunpoint or something.

Not to mention ummm if you are there for assistance they usually you know assist you not put you through an airport security check. I mean come on O'keefe you are a lilly white boy who talks like a conservative mouth piece, I'd be surprised if you had ever prior to being arrested spoken to an authority figure.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    It looks like the Wired author is getting his ass torn up by the comments.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    As someone who dealt with the Homebuyer Tax Credit, that conversation doesn't even make sense.

Like when the HUD employee says "flip-it", they're referring to the specific practice of buying a home then re-mortgaging for a cash out or selling the home, quickly. As in, I'm sure the question was something like "What if I bought a home for $6,000, and then sold it for $80,000? Would I still get the credit?"

Because those answers don't work.

Then again, HUD isn't really too involved in the details of the credit. Asking the woman in charge of internal accounting or foreclosure prevention could net wrong answers, as well.

EDIT: Anyone want to do a string with me? We're going to go the GOP Headquarters and interview the janitor about how the Republicans are going to blow up San Diego.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Wow so I guess you can add wired to a list of f'ing morons from the comments on that story.

Posted by: Noah Shachtman | 03/11/10 | 5:40 pm |
    @reagank I wanted to highlight an element of my story in the upcoming issue of Wired magazine. So I turned to my blog on Wired.com. Simple as that.

Read More http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2010/03/acorn-filmmaker-new-tapes/comment-page-2/#comments#ixzz0hunDJZd1

An element of a story about a guy who did fraudulent editing to make the tapes say what he wants them to say? Well aren't you a brilliant journalist. I wonder if the Daily Show will also screw this one up.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    LTTP, Preacher!

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    LTTP, Preacher!

Oh I commented on the story, that was one of the last comments on his article, above all else he acts like "Look guys its just an element of a complete bullshit article I'm writing in which I use a resource currently under federal charges."

I bet he's going to ask Scooter Libby about the mail system next.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    LTTP, Preacher!

Oh I commented on the story, that was one of the last comments on his article, above all else he acts like "Look guys its just an element of a complete bullshit article I'm writing in which I use a resource currently under federal charges."

Sounds like this guy had a deadline.

And nothing to write about.

So he got really drunk.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    LTTP, Preacher!

Sounds like this guy had a deadline.

And nothing to write about.

So he got really drunk.

I just like how its under national security, because simple fraud yeah national security measure. Not to mention a friend of mine got that credit, you have to show an utter shit ton of fucking paperwork. It's not like you walk up to a guy with a check or something.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Late last year, O’Keefe and fellow activist Joe Basel went into the Detroit and Chicago offices of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) with a hidden camera. They pretended to be scam artists, asking employees there to participate in a complex kickback scheme involving federal incentives for first-time home buyers. In the excerpted footage shown to me by O’Keefe, the staffers seemed only to happy to comply.

What exactly does that mean? Did they walk into the office and say, "Hi, we're scam artists. Can you help us?"

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Late last year, O’Keefe and fellow activist Joe Basel went into the Detroit and Chicago offices of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) with a hidden camera. They pretended to be scam artists, asking employees there to participate in a complex kickback scheme involving federal incentives for first-time home buyers. In the excerpted footage shown to me by O’Keefe, the staffers seemed only to happy to comply.

What exactly does that mean? Did they walk into the office and say, "Hi, we're scam artists. Can you help us?"

"Here's a fiver. Can we cheat the system by reporting we paid more for the house than we really did?"
    "Sure. *not taking the bribe*. Just be aware that your property tax is based on what you report you paid for it, so you will lose money in the long run. And you can't report paying less than you did."

Tomanta on
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Tomanta wrote: »

"Here's a fiver. Can we cheat the system by reporting we paid more for the house than we really did?"
    "Sure. *not taking the bribe*. Just be aware that your property tax is based on what you report you paid for it, so you will lose money in the long run. And you can't report paying less than you did."

Re-read the part he bolded and logically figure out what it's saying. I think you missed it.

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Doesn't pretend to be a scam artist make you a scam artist? What is a "scam artist"?

Henroid on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I guess if you were an undercover cop infiltrating Cash4Gold or something you would be pretending to be a scam artist. Assuming you surreptitiously returned people's money.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »
    I guess if you were an undercover cop infiltrating Cash4Gold or something you would be pretending to be a scam artist. Assuming you surreptitiously returned people's money.

Cash4Gold is so last month, haven't you heard about emergency seeds?

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    Doesn't pretend to be a scam artist make you a scam artist? What is a "scam artist"?

Yeah seriously thats like having sex with a prostitute and then claiming afterward you were pretending to be a john.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    KalTorak wrote: »

Cash4Gold is so last month, haven't you heard about emergency seeds?

I have not, but they sound like an excellent opportunity!

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    hmmmm that's a swell idea. Co-opt the tactics of these silly geese to expose the actual fraud and corruption of Glenn Beck's sponsors.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Those activists!

Cervetus on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

When the Constitution bans, by a specific name, something you're trying to do you'd think it'd be pretty big hint about the intention of the framers.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited March 2010

When the Constitution bans, by a specific name, something you're trying to do you'd think it'd be pretty big hint about the intention of the framers.

The funny thing is that all self-proclaimed constitutionalist these days are also the most vicious attackers when it comes to ACORN.

I guess they're too busy protesting the actual violations of the constitution. You know, like birthright citizenship. And the income tax. And laws outlawing child labor.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yay, now ACORN can be funded again!

... wait. Too late. Ah well.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    GinraiGinrai Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Somehow Wired has a profile on Andrew Breitbart and doesn't even once mention that the Acorn vids were doctored.

Ginrai on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Oh surprise, it's by the same guy as from my earlier post.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png