As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

One More Pre-Pax Meetup? 3/10 in Boston (well, Brighton technically)

arsonisfunarsonisfun Registered User regular
edited March 2010 in PAX Archive
Hi All

It cam to my attention that The Green Briar in Brighton Center has a Retro Video Game night on Wednesdays, 8:30pm. I saw mention of "Gifts from PBR, Wings Specials, and Prizes for Winners!". The games they mentioned on the flyer were - "Mario Kart, Mortal Kombat 2, NBA Jam, Goldeneye, and more"

Beer, vidya, potentially prizes ... winning combination to me :)

Anybody else interested? It'd be an actual Boston area meet-up instead of the 'burbs, so it should be easier for Boston-folks to get to (It's a quick walk from the Washington T stop on the B line, or the 57 Bus from Kenmore)

I am IRCs resident nerdbro and member of the PokeCrawl planning committee.

Red B/Gold Professor

[15:53] <+juju-work> ArsonIsFun is one of the best people I know.
arsonisfun on

• tehnakkitehnakki Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'd love to do this but I have a Wednesday evening class every week except for the week of PAX, so we should totally do this on the 24th! =)

tehnakki on
    Hufflepuff for lief, muthafuckers!

the 'teh' is silent: eljay ~ * ~ twitter ~ * ~ ravelry ~ * ~ last.fm
  • WaterbornWaterborn Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Count me in on this. When do you plan to go. Come on Nakki, don't tell us you never cut class before. ;-)

Waterborn on
    http://www.2old2play.com/Blog/Waterborn
    East Coast Correspondent for 2Old2Play.com
    edited March 2010
    Alas it's a lab not a class, and i get to smelt and hot/cold work metals in it, which is pretty damn cool.

tehnakki on

• Postal KittyPostal Kitty Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Oooh, this sounds lovely. Too bad I work. Have fun guys :(

Postal Kitty on
  • XtremeWRATHXtremeWRATH Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Gonna have to go about changing my work schedule on Wednesdays just to do this.

XtremeWRATH on
  • SirCuddlezSirCuddlez Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm entirely in. It's Spring Break, I get back to Boston on Tuesday and the girlfriend is out of town for the remainder of the week. Perfect time to nerd it up!

SirCuddlez on
  • PrincePrince Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Have to double check my schedule but should be able to swing by and play a bit! :-P Sounds like fun, and nothing wrong with some old school gaming. I can totally KLOB it up on Golden Eye!

Killer Instinct would be a blast if they have it!

Prince on
    "This is my first fight since my last fight." - Mike Tyson
  • arsonisfunarsonisfun Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    SirCuddlez wrote: »
    I'm entirely in. It's Spring Break, I get back to Boston on Tuesday and the girlfriend is out of town for the remainder of the week. Perfect time to nerd it up!

haha :) word. the gf is working ... thus my chance to sneak off to nerd it up

arsonisfun on

Red B/Gold Professor

• br1ght pr1matebr1ght pr1mate Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    someone do a FB event page, otherwise i'll forget :P

br1ght pr1mate on
    edited March 2010
    So I am rather confused by the fact that the last post was closed as seeing there was another event being discussed that was not a part of this one. So..

Can we just say, the people who went to Waterborn's and wanted to get together this Saturday, lets connect some other way (be it through facebook/email) so that we don't get confused? I guess? I almost feel like it would be best to start some kind of group mail or something to discuss get togethers vs. on here, unless the purpose was to see if anyone else wanted to come along who didn't go to the meet up?

Postal Kitty on
    edited March 2010
    Hey Kitty, why don't you set up a FB "Boston-area PAX'ers" FB page. I would, but I am simply too stupid to figure out how to do that. ;)

Back on the topic of this thread, are people heading over to Green Briar this Wed? If so, count me in.

Waterborn on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited March 2010
    I didn't notice there was another event being planned. I saw two threads with similar titles and knew that one event had ended and one was upcoming.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited March 2010
    @Moe - I WILL NEVER FORGIVE YOU! Kidding. Its understandable, though, now at least you wont have to worry about it. lol

@Waterborn and anyone else interested -
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=396063749851&ref=nf
    Made the group, so everyone is free to join in on it. :)

Postal Kitty on
  • GannoGanno Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Just joined the FB group Kitty, thanks for making it.

Ganno on
    jaafe2a95twb.png
  • burnttoast45burnttoast45 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    1) Yes for Clash of the Titans (IMAX 3D in Reading..amazing ice cream there too :p). We should iron out the details so that we all get tickets as soon as they're available (probably while we're at PAX) or if Waterborn has connections that might save us a buying hassle.

2) I'll try to make the wednesday gaming but doubt i'll be able to :(

3) Message sent Khadour :). Is there anything we need to bring? Snacks? Food?

(This can all be discussed on facebook or another thread or here)

edit: you beat me to posting.

burnttoast45 on
    edited March 2010
    Ganno wrote: »
    Just joined the FB group Kitty, thanks for making it.

No problem.

Its the first page i've ever made so uhh.. Yeah. It may be tweaked a bit here and there but otherwise, any suggestions as far as logo and whatnot, feel free to spew at me on facebook (I don't want to derail this thread too much)

And I am sticking to what I said before. I will not make it to this awesome even, unfortunately. I would LOVE to play Goldeneye again and do all my freakishly mean things that I like to do. *sigh*

@burnt: err, were you talking about me posting it in the facebook? Erp, sorry. I was just bored and trying to figure this out. lol.

Postal Kitty on
    edited March 2010
    Well...since it takes me about an hour to find something on Facebook, I am in awe of your skillz :)

Anyone know the parking situation at Green Briar?

Ganno on
    jaafe2a95twb.png
  • DarkshowersDarkshowers Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I can't make it to Wednesday's event as I have an appointment. Kitty, nice job on creating the facebook group!

I can make it to Saturday's gathering but yea, I can see where there would be confusion since the topic is very similar.

Darkshowers on
    Ds3hsEH.png
  • KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    I didn't notice there was another event being planned. I saw two threads with similar titles and knew that one event had ended and one was upcoming.

Moe, ya jerk! ;) What's your preference for us to continue our discussion of the Saturday get together in Lexington - hijack this thread, start a new one, or beg/wheedle you into unlocking our previous thread?

Khadour on
    Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

• o the afermatho the afermath Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    sounds legit!

o the afermath on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited March 2010
    Khadour wrote: »
    Moe, ya jerk! ;) What's your preference for us to continue our discussion of the Saturday get together in Lexington - hijack this thread, start a new one, or beg/wheedle you into unlocking our previous thread?
    I can unlock the other one, but you should probably change the title so it doesn't so closely match this one, or you can start another one. In the future though, I would recommend using a single thread to plan events in a given location. See the Vancouver events thread for a good example of that.

(let me know if you'd prefer to start a new one or want the other one unlocked)

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited March 2010
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    (let me know if you'd prefer to start a new one or want the other one unlocked)

I just started a new one, with a nice and specific title.

Khadour on
    Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

edited March 2010
    Well...since it takes me about an hour to find something on Facebook, I am in awe of your skillz :)

Anyone know the parking situation at Green Briar?

It's not bad ... normally there is street parking on Cambridge/Market St.

Since it's not a busy night I imagine spots shouldn't be too hard to land :)

arsonisfun on

Red B/Gold Professor

edited March 2010
    @Moe - I WILL NEVER FORGIVE YOU! Kidding. Its understandable, though, now at least you wont have to worry about it. lol

@Waterborn and anyone else interested -
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=396063749851&ref=nf
    Made the group, so everyone is free to join in on it. :)

Thanks for this and making a FB event, but the date on the event is off - it's Wednesday, not Tuesday :)

arsonisfun on

Red B/Gold Professor

edited March 2010
    Ah, whoops. I don't know why and how I did that. My finger must have slipped. I changed it on the facebook site, so hopefully people will catch it pre-attendance. I sent out messages as well. Unfortunately I didn't realize that and didn't get home til now so...

Thanks for the warning.

Postal Kitty on
    edited March 2010
    Today's the day :D

I'll be at the bar around 8. I'll wear my Communist Party shirt to try and stand out -
    zoom.gif

I look something like this, though I haven't shaved in a while ...
    4256_533292376151_51000865_31814265_2003486_n.jpg

arsonisfun on

Red B/Gold Professor

• SirCuddlezSirCuddlez Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hey arson, looks like I won't be making it tonight. I got myself a sore throat and just am not feeling that tip top. Sorry to bail on the event tonight it sounded like a lot of fun!

SirCuddlez on
    edited March 2010
    SirCuddlez wrote: »
    Hey arson, looks like I won't be making it tonight. I got myself a sore throat and just am not feeling that tip top. Sorry to bail on the event tonight it sounded like a lot of fun!

Hey, no worries :) Hope you feel better

arsonisfun on

Red B/Gold Professor

edited March 2010
    Sorry I missed out on this tonight. Had to help a friend move a Popeye arcade cab into his house (check my twitter feed for pics). So how was it? Report!

Waterborn on
    edited March 2010
    It was a lot of fun :) Apparently nobody else came, but I played some MK2, NBA Jam, Mario Kart, Goldeneye, and SSB :D

Start of the night it was me, three other guys, and the bartender who was running things. Quite a few other people joined as the night went on. Also - cheap beer :D

I'm going to aim to go in two weeks (since next wednesday is st pattys).

arsonisfun on

Red B/Gold Professor

edited March 2010
    I'll try to make it next time around, hopefully I will. I especially want to go since there is Golden Eye running. I miss that game. It would be really awesome if they had Forsaken running.

Postal Kitty on
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, this sounds like something I'd like to go to as well, I'm just running around like a chicken with my head cut off for the next few weeks, so I doubt I'd make it out before April . . .

Khadour on
    xWDsUaZ.png

edited March 2010
    arsonisfun wrote: »
    It was a lot of fun :) Apparently nobody else came, but I played some MK2, NBA Jam, Mario Kart, Goldeneye, and SSB :D

Start of the night it was me, three other guys, and the bartender who was running things. Quite a few other people joined as the night went on. Also - cheap beer :D

I'm going to aim to go in two weeks (since next wednesday is st pattys).

Two weeks from now is the week of PAX, so I'll be free and will definitely stop by and do this =)

tehnakki on

edited March 2010
    I will try and make it too.

What is the parking situation there? If I have somewhere to park then I'm definitely there.

Ganno on
    jaafe2a95twb.png
    edited March 2010
    I will try and make it too.

What is the parking situation there? If I have somewhere to park then I'm definitely there.

You can park on the same street as the bar normally ... that or market street. wednesday isn't a busy night, so I can't imagine it'd take too long to find a spot

arsonisfun on

Red B/Gold Professor

edited March 2010
    I'll try to make it next time around, hopefully I will. I especially want to go since there is Golden Eye running. I miss that game. It would be really awesome if they had Forsaken running.

Time to check ebay for it ;)

arsonisfun on

Red B/Gold Professor

edited March 2010
    arsonisfun wrote: »

Time to check ebay for it ;)

lack of time and money at the moment will prevent me from this. lol. Oh. And I no longer have the console for it.... Kind of sucks

Postal Kitty on
This discussion has been closed.