As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Leonardo Da Vinci and the Soliders of Forever: An Action Hero For the [Middle] Ages.

2»

• HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Kagera wrote: »
    I suppose you gooses won't take kindly to ABRAHAM LINCOLN: VAMPIRE HUNTER then?

Or the fact that I read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies instead of just Pride and Prejudice?

I'm fine with those wonderful works, as they are intentionally ironic and comedies.

There is a big difference between that and "Hey, how can we jazz up this 'Abraham Lincoln' guy to make some big bucks in our historical epic?"

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm not sure, it depends how they market it. If they market it as just a zany action-adventure take on a historical figure then that's fine.

If they market it as 'the untold story of one of history's greatest figures' that would be fucked up.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
    edited March 2010
    I'm not sure, it depends how they market it. If they market it as just a zany action-adventure take on a historical figure then that's fine.

If they market it as 'the untold story of one of history's greatest figures' that would be fucked up.

Very true. We shall have to see.

Heartlash on
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I suppose you gooses won't take kindly to ABRAHAM LINCOLN: VAMPIRE HUNTER then?

Or the fact that I read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies instead of just Pride and Prejudice?

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter is supposed to be hilarious.

And PP&Z isn't nearly as funny if you haven't read P&P.

Oh it totally IS. Because I know the general story of Pride and Prejudice but never could be arsed to actually read the damn thing.

Also I find the idea of Leonardo slaying demons hilarious.

Actually, I think Leonardo slaying demons is hilarious too. Though I guarantee you the movie they produce will be teh serious business and not, say, the second coming of Ghostbusters. Imagine what Ghostbusters would have been like if it wasn't a comedy.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    edited March 2010
    I mean, take Inglorious Basterds for instance.

I'm sure no one who saw it actually thinks
    Hitler died in a theater in Paris in 1944

Of course that's much more recent history.

Kagera on
  • TalleyrandTalleyrand Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Heartlash wrote: »
    Rent wrote: »
    Nerd Rage:
    Wahhh wahhh wahhhhh WAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Jesus Christ stop your incessant whining. You sound like my friend who bitches about covers being "inherently worse" than the base song due to "lack of originality" or my friend who says that only classical music has any value because "it was the base of everything after it"

God you're so pretentious. How about you lighten up and enjoy the movie for the ridiculousness that it is or, if you can't handle that, maybe just not watch it

Now, the post you're quoting is hyperbolic to say the least, but you have to admit there is legitimacy is criticizing bastardized versions of history perpetuated by Hollywood. Sure, it's entertainment, and plenty of people understand that. There is, however, going to be an inevitable segment of the watching audience that associates the movie with some semblance of historical reality.

Hell, I've met people who thought 300 was a "relatively accurate" historical film. 300.

Moreover, even if people understand that it's pure fiction, there will be subtle aspects of the film that influence their perception in negative ways. It's kind of like the way Jesus is consistently portrayed as a white guy with brown hair. That's somehow become the accepted image of how he must've looked when in all possible likelihood it's simply not the case.

Sorry, ranting now.

Most people don't give a shit about history. And that's what sucks.

Talleyrand on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    pbf209-now_showing1.jpg

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If Sherlock Holmes has started a trend of taking old historical figures and turning them into period action movies, I can't even begin to tell you how happy that makes me

I will watch every single one of those movies they put out

Every

single

one

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    As much as I grind my teeth at these sort of things, I will watch this movie because I know it's going to be out and out ridiculous.

Also:
    Given the fact that the average person barely takes the time to read about the laws they vote for, I have no problem spoon-feeding them shredded history for breakfast.

Havelock on
  • Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    This sounds like fun and I hope it happens.

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    This sounds like fun and I hope it happens.

I'm honestly willing to give it a chance as long as it doesn't end up being totally fucking retarded. Sherlock Holmes was retarded, but only because I prefer this Sherlock Holmes:

jeremy_brett.jpg

To this one:

jude-law-sherlock-holmes-movie-poster-02.jpg

Leonardo has less of a role to fill to me because he has been featured in less modern media outside his normal historical context that I have seen personally, whereas Sherlock Holmes is something I grew up reading and I can't imagine anything beyond his creator's desired vision of him as being appropriate and entertaining. It's like they were trying to force a business man to give up his business and go drive in Nascar races.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Still waiting for the Teddy Roosevelt movie were the Rough Riders were vampire slayers purging Mexico of its rampant team Edward plague.

Or just a Teddy Roosevelt movie, which ever.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Still waiting for the Teddy Roosevelt movie were the Rough Riders were vampire slayers purging Mexico of its rampant team Edward plague.

Or just a Teddy Roosevelt movie, which ever.

Teddy Roosevelt: Monster Hunter

I'm trying to think of something, anything that could possibly be cooler than that and nothing's coming

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    All I can think of is what I consider the Japanese equivalent.

onimusha_1.jpg

But I'm pretty sure the Western equivalent of Nobunaga is actually Thomas Jefferson.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Cantido wrote: »
    All I can think of is what I consider the Japanese equivalent.

But I'm pretty sure the Western equivalent of Nobunaga is actually Thomas Jefferson.

No, I think Read or Die was the equivalent. It took a bunch of historic figures and used clones of them for evil.

Kind of like Star Boy and the Captain of Outer Space:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By0Eurldd4c

DanHibiki on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    They could have Teddy Roosevelt do just about anything as an action-hero and I would believe it to be FACT.

Tomanta on
    edited March 2010
    Teddy Roosevelt was the Chuck Norris of his day.

Kagera on
    edited March 2010
    Shadow Hearts had the Mata Hari as an ally, and let you kill Grigori Rasputin, and then fucked up American history even harder.

Mastodon then made Rasputin a good guy.

All that I need is this Wise Man's Staff!

Cantido on
    edited March 2010
    Teddy Roosevelt was the Chuck Norris of his day.

I can see it now: Huge explosion fills the screen and with a thud the chrome title slams on the screen "TEDDY"

DanHibiki on
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Chuck Norris both fears and respects Teddy Roosevelt.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Five Fists of Science was pretty cool with Tesla as an action hero. Maybe this will turn out similar.

A Half Eaten Oreo on
    edited March 2010
    Anyone ever see The Wind and the Lion? That's the best Hollywood version of Teddy Roosevelt I've ever seen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw2ztheR_l4

Crappy youtube video, but oh well. There are a couple of great scenes later in the movie involving a Grizzly Bear.

Heartlash on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    As long as we're talking about actionifying historical figures, EA's prepping a game where it turns out Jack the Ripper was a demon hunter, and those prostitute corpses were actually demons in disguise.

Made by the makers of Dante's Inferno, of course.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    edited March 2010
    Five Fists of Science was pretty cool with Tesla as an action hero. Maybe this will turn out similar.

The Prestige had Tesla who accidentally made...well, I don't wanna spoil it cause it's fucked up.

Cantido on
  • AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    pbf209-now_showing1.jpg

The best part about that one is the zebra penis.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    As long as we're talking about actionifying historical figures, EA's prepping a game where it turns out Jack the Ripper was a demon hunter, and those prostitute corpses were actually demons in disguise.

Good lord, yes.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • krushkrush Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I think people are getting more worked up about this than it really deserves. As in at all.

Leonardo da Vinci is not some sacred figure that cannot be reinterpreted, and hollywood is not satan incarnate. It's just a goofy action movie.

like the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0311429/

True that he's not a sacred figure... But this just screams "IT'S GONNA SUCK!!!"

krush on
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Archonex wrote: »
    It's like if someone did a movie about Machiavelli revenging himself upon upper class society in a blood-soaked rampage through the city streets, all while wielding a broadsword and dual SMG's akimbo. There's a sort of fundamental reality dissonance there.

Okay the Leonardo thing is stupid but I would watch that Machiavelli movie midnight opening day

Also if the Leonardo flick is intentionally shot in a B-Movie frame of reference it could be the greatest thing since Snakes On A Plane

Salvation122 on
  • WingoWingo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You know what we need? A movie about badass afterlife. It's a huge place, akin to a motel-salon-bar mixture, filled to the brim with hard-boiled gunslingers, wild grizzly bears and loads of hysterical dames. And the movie opens with one of history's greatest badass entering said afterlife. He walks up to the motel and sees Teddy Roosevelt. He asks what they should do in this place. "Silly question", is the answer.

AND THEN TEDDY ROOSEVELT PULLS OUT HIS ROCKET LAUNCHER

Think Battle Royale meets Roadhouse meets Valhalla. And if there absolutely has to be a plot, throw in a few time-travelling nazis. But, eh, I think the grand badass battle royale could carry the movie all on its own.

Wingo on
  • ThisThis Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

I was just about to make that post.

This on
  • HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Wait, EA's idea of a good game is taking one of the most notorious/monstrous serial killers of the 19th century and turning him into a fucking hero?

o_O

Or is my sarcasm detector off?

Havelock on
    edited March 2010
    Havelock wrote: »

Wait, EA's idea of a good game is taking one of the most notorious/monstrous serial killers of the 19th century and turning him into a fucking hero?

o_O

Or is my sarcasm detector off?
    No, they just take an idea and staple a historic name to it, then they get all offended when everyone else is confused.

DanHibiki on
    edited March 2010
    pbf209-now_showing1.jpg

YOU FOUND IT! I was looking for this earlier for the thread on Activision.

Cantido on