As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New MMO??

BookongBookong Registered User new member
edited March 2010 in MMO Extravaganza
Ok, so I played WoW for years (lvl. 80 rogue on Deathwing) but then one day, my prepaid time ran out and...I just felt no urge to resubscribe. I didn't ragequit like some of my friends, and I had the money to buy more game time, I just didn't renew when my game time expired, and I haven't looked back. I felt like I got to the point where I didn't CARE how good I was as a rogue, I mean I was topping the damage meters hands down in most situations (NOT just Onyxia Whelp FoK spams) and I was constantly getting new gear, but it was all the SAME. Endgame was no longer cool. It was like my rogue's power had snowballed down a mountain, and now the snowball had so much momentum, it could practically play the game by itself...Mutilate to 4 combo points, envenom, repeat, keep SnD up, etc... (By the way, does anyone think it's odd that the most DPS-efficient strategy for rogues is not very "rogue-ish?")

Anyway, I want to get into a new MMO, one where the leveling up process hasn't been nerfed to hell, and has okay endgame content (WoW's original endgame content started out on shaky ground, but it was FUN). Also, I need to convince my RL friends to play it. One of them is a jaded ex-masochist (*ahem*, enhancement shaman) that quit because he couldn't stand playing anymore, and one of them would LOVE to play an MMO, but is a cheapass that doesn't want to pay a subscription (plays Guild Wars), but could probably be convinced to pay if push came to shove.

Any ideas?

Bookong on

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    There are a couple very promising ones coming up the pipe, TOR, FFXIV specifically, but nothing new and groundbreaking.

Lortro is still going, as is FFIX, and star trek just came out I think? Maybe just the beta, I dunno. I have friends who always migrate to the nearest WOW killer only to find a month later they're max level already with nothing to do.

Javen on
  • BookongBookong Registered User new member
    edited March 2010
    Heh I picked up some LORTRO stuff in my cool bag of promotional swag at PAX, I forgot about that...maybe I'll just install that and see if it's cool.

I DID install one of the free MMO's that annoying people pass off to you while you walk around, and (of course) it's quite terrible, but I played it with my cheapass friend and just had fun messing around, exploiting the game's physics engine by running up almost vertical walls and stuff.

(possibly trolled a bit)

but it was FUN, if only for one night of almost no progress and lots of getting stuck halfway through a building's wall.

Bookong on
  • Saint JusticeSaint Justice Mercenary Mah-vel Baybee!!!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'd hold out for Star Wars: TOR, honestly. Star Trek reviews sound pretty meh and I don't know much about FFXIV.

Saint Justice on
    Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul. ~ Tycho
  • hjparcinshjparcins Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    LOTRO seems awesome - it has all the ingredients to make it great. But for some strange reason I found it very, very boring after a while. It's a strange feeling and I can't really describe why I feel that way, but it didn't grab me the way WoW did.

I've pretty much tried them all, btw. Except STO, which I understand sucks balls. So I'm glad I didn't try it.

This might sound crazy, but give Age of Conan a shot. It had a huge launch and then immediately crashed and burned into a pile of shit, but they've improved a lot since then and it's a pretty decent game now. That being said, it's still not for me. I found it quite a bit more entertaining than LOTRO though. Unfortunate, because I would have loved to be a part of the LOTRO community (it is very tightly knit and mature compared to the average MMO).

Myself, I'm playing EVE now and I really enjoy it, but it's definitely the type of game where you're going to pretty much know within 5 minutes of starting the trial that you are either going to love it or loathe it.

Really all the major MMOs worth trying have free trials now. Like literally all of them. I'd try LOTRO, Age of Conan, Fallen Earth, EVE, Warhammer, etc. and see if you can find one that clicks.

hjparcins on
  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Star Trek is pretty bad. It's very bland, it takes forever to do anything and there's very few cool missions and it takes forever to reach them.

If you look at the world of MMOs as different types of ice cream, Star Trek would be the unflavored, nonfat ice milk.

Invisible on
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    EverQuest

Xaquin on
  • Saint JusticeSaint Justice Mercenary Mah-vel Baybee!!!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Xaquin wrote: »
    EverQuest

Ahaha, haha. You're a funny guy.

Saint Justice on
    Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul. ~ Tycho
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I've tried a fair few MMOs in my time, and I've only played three I felt were worth paying money for; CoX, LotRO and WoW. WoW isn't really for me, but it doesn't blatently suck like a lot of MMOs and I can see why others play it.

Unfortunately, CoX is 6 years old now and hasn't had the budget for new content like WoW has. Almost all of us CoXers have long since burned out on it, and it's questionable how long Going Rogue will keep us around after that comes out.

So the only MMO out right now I have any interest in is LotRO, but its flaw is that it really sucks for alt characters, after the first few levels every character has to go through all the same content, and that's a lot of stuff. So it's a good game for 3-6 months, til you max out a character, then you just go on break til new stuff comes out.

In other words I haven't been playing any MMOs for about 3-4 months now. Mostly just hoping APB and TOR turn out good. I've been hooked on Bioware games for a few months now and I'm sure TOR will be what I need, sadly it's probably more than a year away still.

Scooter on
  • DisDis Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Try Warhammer Online Trial.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    There's DDO if you want to play casually with your cheapass friend. It's a fantastic multiplayer RPG, i don't feel it's really an MMO. It's more like a co-op RPG with a lot of adventures to go on. It's very "pick up and play" friendly and is probably the best free to play online game out there considering up until last year it used to be P2P. It's got DX 10 graphics (optional) and everything. There's also a ton of character customization and multi-classing. I've been playing it on and off for years. It's really great if you have a group to bring along with you. The community there is extremely friendly too since it's very much a team oriented game being anti-social doesn't get you far.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Try Vanguard some time.

I'd advice against LOTRO because it is pretty much exactly like WoW, but with better graphics, story, quests and community.

Aldo on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    hjparcins wrote: »
    LOTRO seems awesome - it has all the ingredients to make it great. But for some strange reason I found it very, very boring after a while. It's a strange feeling and I can't really describe why I feel that way, but it didn't grab me the way WoW did.
    This. I uninstalled the trial after several sessions because I found I was literally forcing myself to keep playing. What little enjoyment I got from playing a shouty Captain was kept down by the constant feeling of Having Played This Game Before No Not Just A Game Like It This Exact Game.

Glal on
    edited March 2010
    Glal wrote: »
    hjparcins wrote: »
    This. I uninstalled the trial after several sessions because I found I was literally forcing myself to keep playing. What little enjoyment I got from playing a shouty Captain was kept down by the constant feeling of Having Played This Game Before No Not Just A Game Like It This Exact Game.

Captains are pretty boring though, especially early on.

Aldo on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Perhaps, but it wasn't just the class, the whole package was just too familiar. Like going back to CoX when an Issue hits and realizing that, yes, it's still the same game you spent hundreds of hours playing and don't really feel like playing again.

Glal on
    edited March 2010
    Glal wrote: »
    Perhaps, but it wasn't just the class, the whole package was just too familiar. Like going back to CoX when an Issue hits and realizing that, yes, it's still the same game you spent hundreds of hours playing and don't really feel like playing again.
    Ah yes that's true. It's a lot like the other MMOs. Which is why I can't recommend it to someone who just got bored with WoW

Aldo on
  • devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I had a good solid month of Star Trek Online, but I feel like that's pretty much done and good now. Played it, hit max level, and I was done. There's not a lot of crafting or other things going on to keep you in. I think we might be waiting for Star Wars before we can all get on a MMO boat and really have that connection that we had with WoW.

devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Take a break from MMO's altogether. Play a bunch of console stuff, get through some other RPGs.

If you haven't touched Dragon Age or Mass Effect 2 (or even one!), you should. Maybe find a few non-MMO games that your friends can play online or through something like Xbox Live.

Jump back into WoW when Cataclysm comes out. Start a fresh character, and experience all the new content, or join back with your old guild and try to jump back into the high level game at 85.

Chances are if you really did enjoy WoW, but just burned out a bit, then you're really not going to be happy with a lot of the other MMOs out there. Most are niche, few lack nearly the polish of WoW, and the last thing you want to do is MMO hop, hoping something is going to stick.

ironzerg on
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, honestly, I've tried pretty much every major MMO that has been released over the last 5 years or so. And they're mostly pretty bad, with the exception of WoW. WoW's done a lot of things that make the end game stuff not as much fun as I remember back in the day (although I understand I'm a minority in that thinking), but it's still the most streamlined.

What I've found is that almost every major release in the last while has tried to simply cash in on the WoW money train, but just didn't do things as well. And a disheartening number of games feel simply like texture updates on old-ass clunky games (STO, Champions online, WAR, etc.).

If you want something in the meantime, LOTOR isn't a bad game, it was really fun at first, because like WoW, it felt streamlined. The engine worked very well, and combat was smooth. What hurt it, I felt, was lack of variety later on in the game, and the leveling really seemed to slow down. It also didn't feel like there was enough unique grouping instances, there were some decent ones, but for some reason I could rarely find anyone willing to do them. I also think the lack of an ability tree to customize your character kind of hurt as well. I've resubbed the game a number of times, and each time I get to the mid 20s-30s and then get bored.

I'd say your best bet is with ironzerg's suggestion. If you want, try a few mmo trials, and see if they catch your fancy, but no game combines the good combat engine, lots of character upgrades, character customization, and sheer variety of zones and quests as WoW does, in my opinion. So it might be a good idea to wait for a while then resub at the expansion. I'm saying this as someone who quit WoW over a year ago and haven't resubbed since.

Dissociater on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    LOTRO is the only MMO I've ever subscribed to besides WoW. It's pretty good, but like others are saying, you might be better off not playing any MMOs for a while, or severely reducing your MMO playtime for other games. I currently only play WoW about once a week.

SteevL on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I still feel STO is a pretty great game, but it only lasts a month. I think it was worth it. If you want to play a MMO for a short stint I would suggest STO.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    LEGO Universe is coming up the pipe as well- May not be your cup of tea but the "end content" will all be user generated!

(That is, the true endgame will be grinding on monsters, most likely strong ones with a party, for more bricks to build cooler things in your personal build zone)

Arch on
  • Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The last few years have been pretty disappointing, MMO-wise. I popped my MMO cherry with CoX, but burned out after 2 years.

Played AOC for about 4 months and I'm still haunted by what might have been with that game, if they'd done it right

Then, WAR for about 6 months before losing interest

Champions Online for about 4 months, but that didn't hook me.

Playing STO now, which is good but I doubt it's a long-term game for me.

I'm hopeful about the new Star Wars MMO and maybe DC Universe Online, but given recent MMO history, I fear disappointment.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    CoX popper your cherry. Amazing.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm under the impression that after burning out on an MMO, especially one as good as WoW, there's never really a lot of interest in really playing them again.

I think you should ask yourself why you got bored with WoW. I burned out because I realized how much time I was spending on a very uninteresting end-game. My last few weeks were playing some low character that I was enjoying until I realized at some point he would be at the end game.

Catastrophe_XXVI on
    PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
    edited March 2010
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    CoX popper your cherry. Amazing.

Hehe...no pun intended. :winky:

ironzerg on
  • PelPel Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    My experiences with WoW were similar. Eve was the answer for me. In almost every way, it is the anti-WoW, for better or worse, and as MMOs go, it breaks a lot of molds. I basically had to re-teach myself how to have fun playing an MMO when I started playing Eve; it takes some effort to stop concentrating on character development and start concentrating on doing things that are fun but don't give you XP, money, or items.

Pel on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm under the impression that after burning out on an MMO, especially one as good as WoW, there's never really a lot of interest in really playing them again.

I think you should ask yourself why you got bored with WoW. I burned out because I realized how much time I was spending on a very uninteresting end-game. My last few weeks were playing some low character that I was enjoying until I realized at some point he would be at the end game.

Nah, MMOs are a pretty varied genre, there's still possibilities out there even after burning out on one. The bigger problem is probably that so many suck or have large flaws, so it is hard to find two that you like.

Scooter on
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Scooter wrote: »

Nah, MMOs are a pretty varied genre, there's still possibilities out there even after burning out on one. The bigger problem is probably that so many suck or have large flaws, so it is hard to find two that you like.

I have loved 4 different paid for MMOs. And enjoyed a couple free ones.

Asheron's Call I was hooked on for a couple years, then I started playing Asheron's Call 2 and ended up playing both of them at the same time for close to a year when a friend got my wife and I to try City of Heroes, which we stuck with for a bit then I got rehooked into AC2 and after awhile Turbine cancelled that and my wife and I switched to WoW. Once we started playing WoW though we went from paying for 7 accounts a month to only paying for 2.

Seg on
  • MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I play WoW for about 6 months at a time, then get bored and quit until a month or two before the next expansion. Since having a life would involve going outside, and I live in Oregon, I usually fool around with other ones in the meantime. Some interesting ones:
    Atlantica: f2p, squad based combat. It's an odd system, but there's some really innovative stuff in there and it's worth a play. I think they've got my favorite broker system of any game - every so often, whatever you have up for sale gets a 10% price reduction. So, it will sell.... eventually.
    Dragonica: I can't see playing this a long time, but it's fun in short doses. Side scrolling brawler mmo. Beat things up, take their candy, move on... kinda like grade school, really.
    EVE: It's worth playing the free trial to see if you like it. Interesting game, but wasn't to my taste.
    DDO: It has a lack of content for solo, or even duos (unless you pay them, weee!), but it has a lot more of an action feel than most mmos. And who doesn't have a soft spot in their heart for dnd?
    Hello Kitty Island Adventure: Don't you judge me.

Madpoet on
  • ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I don't think anyone has mentioned EvE in detail yet. If you're a gamer who wants a persistant, fluid game world, it's second to none. It's pretty much the most competitive, cut-throat MMO out there, and the most 'real'. It has a real economy, where resources are gathered, processed, and goods are manufactured and sold (then blown up eventually). Loot worth anything of value doesn't just appear magically a la most MMOs.

It has real politics, with a dozen or so major powers (read: crush your band of friends in an afternoon of fun), but there's enough room for hundreds of minor powers to carve out a niche for themselves and have fun, make alliances, war, etc.

There's two problems with EvE:
    1) Huge learning curve. There is a shitload of stuff that you can theoritcally do, and so it will take you months if not longer to master everything. After a week you will up on your feet, though. Faster if you have someone to teach you. Incidentaly, the PA corp MERCHI is back on it's feet again. Read the EvE thread for a summary of what happened there.

2) You can do anything, and there are no real 'quests'. You can do missions from NPCs for cash, but it's pretty repeditive. You can also make cash by mining, which is boring but reliable. You can also make a healthy living by simply ambushing miners and taking their stuff, or mission runners, or best of all, finding some poor sap hauling expensive goods in unsecure space. That can be worth more cash than you could use in a month, or even a year if you got really lucky :P.

Also, since you mentioned it - you can definately have EvE pay for itself if you're good at it. If you put in a good amount of game time, you can sell in game ISK for time cards - I could do it myself if I wasn't so lazy. It takes a couple months of game time to get to that point, but certainly doable. Finding (or looting/stealing) a rare item could pay for a couple years of EvE on it's own.

Lastly, EvE is simply epic when it comes to the in-game drama. I couldn't being to explain the complicated history of Goonfleet and their adversaries, the Band of Brothers, in one post. I could write a 5000 essay on it, and it would be abbreviated - the game is just that huge. And that's just one alliance war, with a few thousand people taking part in the battle, logisitics, and politics/spying. Take a look at Sins of a Solar Spymaster to get an idea of just how big the game is, and how meta it gets.

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png
    edited March 2010
    Apogee wrote: »
    I don't think anyone has mentioned EvE in detail yet. If you're a gamer who wants a persistant, fluid game world, it's second to none. It's pretty much the most competitive, cut-throat MMO out there, and the most 'real'. It has a real economy, where resources are gathered, processed, and goods are manufactured and sold (then blown up eventually).

Wanted: Easy going, fun loving sheep to come play with wolves. We don't bite. Hard.

EVE only works if you really enjoy PVP and player conflict. A player who really enjoys more of the PVE aspects of MMO's will quickly become bored, frustrate or both with EVE.
    You can also make a healthy living by simply ambushing miners and taking their stuff, or mission runners, or best of all, finding some poor sap hauling expensive goods in unsecure space. That can be worth more cash than you could use in a month, or even a year if you got really lucky.

But 99.9% of the time, you are that guy in EVE, getting ambushed while ratting, being that poor sap who gets his freighter he spent weeks filling blown up at a gate, or getting ganked trying to squeeze in a mission after work.

Again, not to derail the thread, but if you're not a PVPer at heart, you're not going to enjoy EVE.

ironzerg on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    Something that wasn't mentioned about Eve: It has a piss poor UI that makes the game much harder to learn than it needs to be.

They don't call it Spreadsheets in Space for nothing.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
    edited March 2010
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Wanted: Easy going, fun loving sheep to come play with wolves. We don't bite. Hard.

EVE only works if you really enjoy PVP and player conflict. A player who really enjoys more of the PVE aspects of MMO's will quickly become bored, frustrate or both with EVE.

But 99.9% of the time, you are that guy in EVE, getting ambushed while ratting, being that poor sap who gets his freighter he spent weeks filling blown up at a gate, or getting ganked trying to squeeze in a mission after work.

Again, not to derail the thread, but if you're not a PVPer at heart, you're not going to enjoy EVE.
    Sounds like someone is bitter.

Eve is not all about PVP, although its true that if you play the game as if PVP doesn't exist you will be taken advantage of. The industrial, mercantile, and exploratory aspects of the game are just as epic as the PVP.

To illustrate this, consider W-space. The most expansive PVE area in the game, with thousands of systems filled to the brim with ridiculously valuable NPC spawns, sites, and complexes. The entire network is a PVP free-for-all, but that doesn't matter because odds are you'll never even see another person if you're deep enough inside a wormhole. The links between systems are constantly changing, need to be rediscovered every day, and lead somewhere different each time. You must be self-sufficient for days or weeks at a time, and you can find yourself literally lost in w-space with no way to get back to Empire, again for days or weeks at a time: in fact, such a situation is fairly common. When and if you return after a long odyssey to unknown lands, the booty is worth many times what you could have made at home.

In Eve, you must always be ready to fight or flee. Luck favors the prepared, and although you can literally be attacked at any time by anyone, the game provides you with plenty of tools to avoid PVP if that is your desire.
    Something that wasn't mentioned about Eve: It has a piss poor UI that makes the game much harder to learn than it needs to be.

They don't call it Spreadsheets in Space for nothing.

This is also very true. The UI is awful: cumbersome, unintuitive, and the font is irritating to say the least.

Pel on
    edited March 2010
    True. The game is beautiful, but the UI leaves much to be desired. It's certainly playable, though.

Just to emphisize what was said before, the game is not about PvE like others are. In eve, shooting mobs is frankly kind of boring. Orbit, activate weapons, wait. Repair as needed. The real fun is with people - either taking on big groups with you friends, or knowing that at any moment you might be gangraped by 8 people. You see a bunch of unfamiliar names enter the system all at once? Better hit the warp drive and haul ass somewhere safe, lest you become salvage and meaty bits in space.

Edit:

Everything in EvE has a flip side - you can also BE that group of gang-rapers who flit about from system to system looking for phat loot. You can also be an apparently hopeless newbie, mining away in your battleship, and get jumped - only it turns out you were a bait ship, loaded with warp jammers and a huge armour tank. Call in the reinforcements waiting in the wings and help yourself to some premium PvP items (once the pirates are done with them).

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png
    edited March 2010
    RE: EVE

All I'm saying is that EVE is truly focused around PVP, in all aspects. If someone doesn't enjoy fully immersive PVP, they will not like EVE.

I've seen the "There's TONS of stuff to do if you don't PVP" sales pitch on EVE before, and it always ends the same way.

So, yes, EVE is a great game if you enjoy PVP . I'm not knocking the game itself, I'm just saying, let's call a spade a spade.

ironzerg on
    edited March 2010
    ironzerg wrote: »
    RE: EVE

All I'm saying is that EVE is truly focused around PVP, in all aspects. If someone doesn't enjoy fully immersive PVP, they will not like EVE.

I've seen the "There's TONS of stuff to do if you don't PVP" sales pitch on EVE before, and it always ends the same way.

So, yes, EVE is a great game if you enjoy PVP . I'm not knocking the game itself, I'm just saying, let's call a spade a spade.

This isn't entirely true. I know a lot of people who played EvE and enjoyed it for its economy. All they did was produce goods and play the market and make tons of money and enjoyed the game that way. They never even really fired any guns at anyone in PVP.

EvE is the kind of open world game where there really are many ways to play. EvE is hard to classify directly to me, as a "This is this kind of game and should be played this way" that just isn't how EvE works.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
    edited March 2010
    The only requirement of EvE is that you MUST enjoy playing with other people. It is not not not a single player game, and you will go insane if you play it as such. Nothing of signifigance can be done alone beyond simple money making.

See the Zero Punctuation video review of EvE to see why this doesn't work. He basically tries to go out on his own and dies repeatedly. No suprise there.

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png
    edited March 2010
    Thats true, you can't solo it in EvE. It always annoys me when people bitch about EvE and the more i hear them talk about it the more i understand they were trying to solo "grind" or something like in WoW and were playing it wrong.

Elimination on
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Apogee wrote: »
    The only requirement of EvE is that you MUST enjoy playing with other people. It is not not not a single player game, and you will go insane if you play it as such. Nothing of signifigance can be done alone beyond simple money making.

See the Zero Punctuation video review of EvE to see why this doesn't work. He basically tries to go out on his own and dies repeatedly. No suprise there.

This may be true, but during the three weeks I gave the game a try with, I could never find anyone willing to group or let me group with them. And I logged on for 3-4 hours a day 4+ days a week, and was in the PA corp.

I found there was nothing to do as a starting character without simply leeching on someone bigger than you, and no one bigger than you willing to allow you to leech off them.

Dissociater on
    edited March 2010
    This may be true, but during the three weeks I gave the game a try with, I could never find anyone willing to group or let me group with them. And I logged on for 3-4 hours a day 4+ days a week, and was in the PA corp.

I found there was nothing to do as a starting character without simply leeching on someone bigger than you, and no one bigger than you willing to allow you to leech off them.
    Merch and Goonswarm, err, Lodra, can be pretty insular. As a newbie, the only way to really get a foot in the door with some of the cliques is to do mining ops or pvp ops, or to constantly spout off in corp chat. PVP, thankfully, is pretty accommodating to new players, other activities, not always so much. Merchis are certainly not unfriendly, but some goons are, and almost no one is willing to take a newbie under their wing and directly involve them in things: it's just too much hassle.

Pel on
This discussion has been closed.