As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Acrimony 101

• DaricDaric Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Melding wrote: »
    Remember when Texas did something everyone liked and was loved for years to come after?

Yeah me neither.

all i got is the Alamo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican%E2%80%93American_War

Also fencingsax. that guy that shot those dudes watched them rob his neighbors house. It's not like they just happened to look shady and were running away, they broke in and stole stuff. Here in Texas, we generally like our neighbors and when someone breaks into their house while they're away, we respond like it was our house that was robbed.

What death penalty issue? We use the death penalty, it's been around for thousands of years, get over it.

No one ever seriously wants to secede, we just like to remind everyone that we can. Same reason we fly our flag the same height as the American flag, we do what we want.

Daric on
    cc61181c22f23454a304a4f1f0867845044.gif
  • ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    WAIT

Ain't nothing wrong with Nebraska

Shabooty on
  • PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Snowbeat wrote: »
    Pirusu wrote: »
    Godfather wrote: »
    Yes, lets judge an entire state population that honestly don't really give a fuck about conservative politics based on a small collective group of baby-boomer white people with a bit of power under their belt.

Makes perfect sense.

Well, when a small collective group of baby-boomer white people with a bit of power under their belt happen to make a decision that affects the entire country...

It tends to rankle!

But also lighten up because lol stereotypes and jokes.

if by "country" you mean "state" then yeah, you're right

Nah. Texas is the largest purchaser of new textbooks. New textbooks will be made so that they sell well in Texas! If these changes do come to pass, it will affect everyone buying new textbooks!

Pirusu on
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    epburn wrote: »
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    oh

well you have the 4th and 7th largest cities

I guess that makes it okay to push a ridiculous series of revisions onto a potentially national textbook publishing body

Except that
    NY Times wrote:
    In the digital age, however, that influence has diminished as technological advances have made it possible for publishers to tailor books to individual states.

and
    The standards, reviewed every decade, serve as a template for textbook publishers, who must come before the board next year with drafts of their books. The board’s makeup will have changed by then because Dr. McLeroy lost in a primary this month to a more moderate Republican, and two others — one Democrat and one conservative Republican — announced they were not seeking re-election.

It's as if someone selected certain elements of all the available information to fit an ideological point that you swallowed without hesitation!

But yes, this is a shame we'll probably waste a lot of time fixing because no one really gave a damn who was on the state board of education until super-conservatives figured that out.

You know I mentioned McLeroy's loss in the elections on the last page or two. This is a story I've been following since mid-last year, but again, nice try.

Abracadaniel on
  • VoproSTEINVoproSTEIN howdyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    All the big cities are fairly liberal. Mostly just small towns and college station are hella conservative

VoproSTEIN on
  • ScrumtrulescentScrumtrulescent Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    everyone in Texas is Hank Hill, right? That is what Texas is like?

Scrumtrulescent on
  • mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Shabooty wrote: »
    WAIT

problem is there aint nothing right with it either

mensch-o-matic on
  • CogliostroCogliostro Marginal Opinions Spring, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I just spent a day in Montrose, one of the most beautiful areas of Houston... and the gay district, apparently. We were at Inversion... pretty nice little cafe with two cute little gayboys behind the counter all giggly and makin coffee.

Cogliostro on
  • DadouwDadouw Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Daric wrote: »
    Remember when Texas did something everyone liked and was loved for years to come after?

Yeah me neither.

all i got is the Alamo.

Texas getting bigger by invading mexican territories only made texans happy

Dadouw on
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Yeah me neither.

all i got is the Alamo.

Dallas Cowboys

wait I am a Giant fan, I hate the cowboys

um

All I got is that Sam Houston was such a badass that it isn't even funny

I am intrigued, but got bored after reading his involvement in the war of 1812. Dude can take a hit though, will give him that.

Melding on
    edited March 2010
    Also, McLeroy gets a gold star for some of the comments he's made in the past, gems like

[paraphrasing] We shouldn't bother teaching young children things like Chinese, because really who speaks that, except for maybe "chow mein"

Abracadaniel on
    edited March 2010
    You know this kinda feels like one of those threads about québec where I reply to every single asshole who makes a negative comment about my province

but then i remember its about texas so I dont feel bad at all

Dadouw on
  • ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    WAIT

um

we got a zoo

that's cool, right?

Shabooty on
    edited March 2010
    Also, McLeroy gets a gold star for some of the comments he's made in the past, gems like

[paraphrasing] We shouldn't bother teacher young children things like Chinese, because really who speaks that, except for maybe "chow mein"

This is full of gems.

Pirusu on
    edited March 2010

Yeah me neither.

all i got is the Alamo.

Soo, in like the past 152 years you've done nothing of note positive as a state?

Melding on
  • epburnepburn Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So you just chose to ignore the whole point about the state's diminishing influence on textbook publication nationally after following something for months?

I don't know that all the big cities are liberal. Dallas always struck me as pretty conservative. Most of Houston remains that way, too.

epburn on
    edited March 2010
    McLeroy flipped through the pages and explained what he saw as the gaping holes in Darwin’s theory. “I don’t care what the educational political lobby and their allies on the left say,” he declared at one point. “Evolution is hooey.” This bled into a rant about American history. “The secular humanists may argue that we are a secular nation,” McLeroy said, jabbing his finger in the air for emphasis. “But we are a Christian nation founded on Christian principles. The way I evaluate history textbooks is first I see how they cover Christianity and Israel. Then I see how they treat Ronald Reagan—he needs to get credit for saving the world from communism and for the good economy over the last twenty years because he lowered taxes.

Abracadaniel on
    edited March 2010

Yeah me neither.

all i got is the Alamo.

Dallas Cowboys

wait I am a Giant fan, I hate the cowboys

um

All I got is that Sam Houston was such a badass that it isn't even funny

I am intrigued, but got bored after reading his involvement in the war of 1812. Dude can take a hit though, will give him that.

He once went up to a French officer with a ton of medals on his chest, took off his shirt, brandished his scars, and said something along the lines of "Sir, a humble Texan soldier, who wears his medals here, salutes you"

It would be so much better if I were to dig the reading out of my backpack and get the exact quote but nah

Scrumtrulescent on
  • alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Krosius wrote: »
    Those Texas Schoolbooks are at it again

first they kill the president and now this?!

Okay, this was pretty funny.

Also, Texas deserves every fucking bit of its reputation.

Okay, let's hear why.

You mean besides this bullshit, and the asshole who got off after shooting those guys who were running away after being told not to by the police, and the whole death penalty issue, and the whole secessionistlol bullshit, and so on? Texas is known for being awful, and deservedly so.

This business with the education is awful, yes. And it's hardly anything new for any U.S. state.

People running from the police? The court system failing?! Oh no, Texas! You have failed where all other states have remained flawless! :lol:

Death penalty issue? Ugh, that's an ugly business to be sure. We're not the only state though.
    http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Death_penalty_statutes_in_the_United_States.svg

Secessionist, well, already commented on that. It's a cultural thing to be self-sufficient down here, and have the ability to stand on your own two feet. In that way, it's a joke to say we don't need the union to exist.

And known for being awful? Oh man. You are just in a crotchety mood today, aren't you?

alternatingAberration on
    xI8QS1g.jpg?1
    edited March 2010
    also whats up with florida

Dadouw on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    Dadouw wrote: »
    You know this kinda feels like one of those threads about québec where I reply to every single asshole who makes a negative comment about my province

i love quebec a lot, fuck the haters

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited March 2010
    epburn wrote: »
    So you just chose to ignore the whole point about the state's diminishing influence on textbook publication nationally after following something for months?

I don't know that all the big cities are liberal. Dallas always struck me as pretty conservative. Most of Houston remains that way, too.

That still leaves Texan students learning from these awful textbooks and that is a problem.

Abracadaniel on
    edited March 2010

It sucks.

Abracadaniel on
    edited March 2010
    WAIT

um

we got a zoo

that's cool, right?

what the fuck kind of zoo can nebraska support

tumbleweeds

human despair

i can drive through texas for that for free

and i do mean through

mensch-o-matic on
    edited March 2010

It sucks.

Old people!

but also Burn Notice

I dunno Smart Hero

Burn Notice is pretty sweet

Scrumtrulescent on
    edited March 2010

i love quebec a lot, fuck the haters

I don't like Quebec so much, but hey it could be worse. At least it's not Texas.

Melding on
    edited March 2010
    i mean

i guess you guys can also have dust

mensch-o-matic on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    A man was acquitted after shooting two dudes in the back! Also, "diminishing influence" does not mean "no influence" and the places that can use shit like the internet reliably are also the places with non-shitty schools to begin with. The schools that don't have that resource are the ones that are screwed.

Fencingsax on
    edited March 2010
    All I have to say is, if you've never been to texas, don't talk shit about it

Go to Austin or Houston or San Antonio one day and see what it's like

Quality of life is relative to the person living it. If someone is perfectly content living in a trailer and is happy about where their life has led them, would you say they had a poor quality of life? You probably would, but I'm sure they wouldn't agree

tl;dr: Haters gonna hate

Edit: THE MAN WAS ACQUITTED BECAUSE HE WAS PROTECTING HIS NEIGHBOR'S PROPERTY JESUS FUCKING CHRIST

he shot them in the back because they were running from the scene of the crime what the fuck is wrong with you

Daric on
    edited March 2010

It sucks.

Old people!

but also Burn Notice

I dunno Smart Hero

Burn Notice is pretty sweet

Yeah but no but yeah.

Neighboring city recently caught up in systemic corruption scandal post-hurricane/housing collapse.

Abracadaniel on
    edited March 2010
    All I have to say is, if you've never been to texas, don't talk shit about it

Go to Austin or Houston or San Antonio one day and see what it's like

Quality of life is relative to the person living it. If someone is perfectly content living in a trailer and is happy about where their life has led them, would you say they had a poor quality of life? You probably would, but I'm sure they wouldn't agree

tl;dr: Haters gonna hate

Whoops also been to Texas.

I am not taking issue with the quality of their cities, I'm taking issue with the quality of their educational boards.

Also are you really pulling out the "It's just, like, your opinion, man" card?

Abracadaniel on
  • epburnepburn Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Also
    Statesman wrote:
    Some of the Republicans on the State Board of Education were quite enamored Wednesday with the Fox News crew that showed up at their meeting. At one point, board member David Bradley handed cookies to the Fox crew, ignoring the rest of the folks at the press table. Other conservative board members could hardly contain their excitement that Fox was there.

Which, the reporter noted, was as the TEA staff issued a statement reaming Fox for saying the SBOE had dropped Christmas and George Washington from textbooks, among other pretty sweet innaccuracies.

epburn on
    edited March 2010
    I went to texas and it was pretty much everything I hated about the united states

Dadouw on
  • alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    A man was acquitted after shooting two dudes in the back! Also, "diminishing influence" does not mean "no influence" and the places that can use shit like the internet reliably are also the places with non-shitty schools to begin with. The schools that don't have that resource are the ones that are screwed.

Again, these are problems not specifically local to the state. They are nationwide issues.

You can find tons of bad criminal cases out there, as well as a hell of a lot of screwed schools.

alternatingAberration on
    xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • .avi.avi regular
    edited March 2010
    where do all these tx white knighters come from

oh thats right, texas heh :cool:

.avi on
    edited March 2010
    I once went near texas. that was basically enough texas. Also talked to a number of Texans. they didn't seem to understand Canada as a concept, it was something alright.

Melding on
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I love Texas threads

Clint Eastwood on
    edited March 2010
    i have never been to texas but as a new yorker i feel it is my personal duty to shit on any state that is not new york

mensch-o-matic on
    edited March 2010
    I just like laughing at dumb people. Doesn't matter if you're from Texas, or Uzbekistan, or wherever.

If you're dumb, I'm pointin' and laughin'.

Pirusu on
    edited March 2010
    Fine guys, whatever, we'll just take back Beyonce you can't have her anymore

Daric on
This discussion has been closed.