As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

neighbors below not liking my subwoofer

fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell#BLMRegistered User regular
edited March 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
i've got a subwoofer hooked up to my gaming rig, and i play a lot of shooter/shooter-related games. naturally all the explosions and gunfire and whatnot generates a lot of bass.

the neighbors below my apartment in the complex i'm in aren't exactly fans. i suppose i can't blame them.

weird thing is, my room has carpeting, and i thought that would be enough to muffle the sound. apparently it's not.

does anyone have any suggestions on how to muffle my sub? any kind of eggcrate foam or soundboard or anything i can put below the sub so the sound doesn't transmit to the floor below?

ffNewSig.png
steam | Dokkan: 868846562
fightinfilipino on

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    i've got a subwoofer hooked up to my gaming rig, and i play a lot of shooter/shooter-related games. naturally all the explosions and gunfire and whatnot generates a lot of bass.

the neighbors below my apartment in the complex i'm in aren't exactly fans. i suppose i can't blame them.

weird thing is, my room has carpeting, and i thought that would be enough to muffle the sound. apparently it's not.

does anyone have any suggestions on how to muffle my sub? any kind of eggcrate foam or soundboard or anything i can put below the sub so the sound doesn't transmit to the floor below?

You're pretty much S.O.L. on this one. Just wear headphones or else turn off the sub.

Esh on
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Low range frequencies like those produced from a sub-woofer are very difficult to muffle. It's near impossible to, in an apartment complex, muffle them to a point that no one will hear them. I live in a concrete highrise, and can hear the subwoofers from my neighbours if they use one, even if barely.

As Esh said, you're basically screwed. Headphones are your only option.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yeah a subwoofer produces omnidirectional sound. Its why the placement of the unit isn't really a huge issue of importance when you are arranging your home theater and why its virtually impossible to muffle short of some pretty expensive acoustic paneling or another similar option.

Its also why when I was in a condo my super awesome sub was stuck at 20%. Not much you can do.

Raynaga on
  • Options
    travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If your sub has its own volume control then turn on some tunes that mimic the amount of bass in your typical game. Tell your neighbor you're going to turn the bass down and ask them to bang on their ceiling when it is low enough for them. Mine, like raynaga's, is around the 2-3 scale, which is still decent for gaming. I have mine straight below the monitor under the desk and usually rest my feet on it, so I can feel the explosions, lol.

travathian on
  • Options
    Mom2KatMom2Kat Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Oh Trav be carefull of that. We did the same thing and after some time we wrecked the sub by using it as a footstool. Mind you it was a cheaper sub and kinda small but you don't want to have your sub conking out on you. I would not have a problem doing that with the sub for my surrond since the thing is large and sturdy but be carefull.

Mom2Kat on
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Decius wrote: »
    Low range frequencies like those produced from a sub-woofer are very difficult to muffle. It's near impossible to, in an apartment complex, muffle them to a point that no one will hear them. I live in a concrete highrise, and can hear the subwoofers from my neighbours if they use one, even if barely.

As Esh said, you're basically screwed. Headphones are your only option.

As someone who has lived beneath someone who had a subwoofer, there is nothing more annoying than the indistinct low-freqency rumble you are sending through your neighbors walls. My entire bedroom wall would function as a diaphragm and there's nothing worse than your wall going thrum thrum thrum brrrrrrrrrrrrr dun dun dun at the threshold of perceptible sound, so that you both hear and feel it in your skull.

Moral of this story--there is no place for subwoofers in an apartment building if you want to avoid your neighbors hating you.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    KlorgnumKlorgnum Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »
    Moral of this story--there is no place for subwoofers in an apartment building if you want to avoid your neighbors hating you.

Subwoofers are the most irritating thing in the world if you're not the one playing the game. I know, I live down the hall from someone who used to use one all the time.

Klorgnum on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Dawning realisation that I was a horrible, horrible neighbour for a long time.

That poor old woman downstairs! D:

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited March 2010
    Just turn the volume down.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I've been concerned about this recently because I just got a new house...with fairly thin walls. I can hear people talking in their driveways outside from my living room. I really don't want to bug the neighbors but I just got a nice surround system too...

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    robothero wrote: »

That really doesn't work well at all where bass is concerned.

Esh on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I've always found a decent pair of heaphones to be more involving when playing a game.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Esh wrote: »

Really? Because I just turned down the volume on my speakers and the sub isn't nearly as loud.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Really? Because I just turned down the volume on my speakers and the sub isn't nearly as loud.

I have a weak system - and even if I turn the bass all the way down - I can still hear it downstairs. I can almost hear it better downstairs than I can directly next to the sub woofer.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I also have a knob on the back of my sub that controls its volume, if I turn it all the way down it basically turns off. So check to see if you have one of those!

Unknown User on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Do yourself a favor: Buy a pair of headphones and put the nice speaker kit in storage.

KiTA on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Put it in a box of sand.

Seriously.

Make a small enclosure out of 2x4's with a plywood base, fill it with sand, and set the sub on a piece of plastic in that. You'll still hear the bass, but the sand acts as an excellent vibration dampener.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    VenochVenoch Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Put it in a box of sand.

Seriously.

Make a small enclosure out of 2x4's with a plywood base, fill it with sand, and set the sub on a piece of plastic in that. You'll still hear the bass, but the sand acts as an excellent vibration dampener.

Wow, this is actually a really good idea.

Venoch on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    That's brilliant, matthasaproblem!

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

It's the vibration and the "thrumming". Not the volume persay.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

So are you claiming the distance that vibration propagates is in no way related to the volume of sound output by the subwoofer?

I have been living in second floor apartments for 10+ years, 8 of which with a sound system that has a subwoofer.

Noise complaints: 0

travathian on
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Venoch wrote: »
    Put it in a box of sand.

Seriously.

Wow, this is actually a really good idea.

this...sounds like a project.

i'm gonna look into this.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Forgot, lay plastic in the box before filling it with sand, so it doesn't leak out of the cracks.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Put it in a box of sand.

Seriously.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure all you really need to do is keep it from having physical contact with the floor. To get technical, I'm pretty sure what you're doing is creating a more mismatched interface (air to floor, with the, compared to sub to floor which is how damped by the sand) which causes less sound to be transferred into the floor from the room (and thus be conducted down into the apartment below, and into other apartments nearby through the attached walls/ceiling).

You'll probably still need to keep the sub down, but it should at least make it possible to use it, rather than having to turn it off completely.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Oh god, you're one of those people

There really isn't a place for a subwoofer in an apartment building. Use headphones.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Forgot, lay plastic in the box before filling it with sand, so it doesn't leak out of the cracks.

Or you could just get some sound dampening material that is normally put in cars and set it under the subwoofer.

travathian on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    travathian wrote: »

So are you claiming the distance that vibration propagates is in no way related to the volume of sound output by the subwoofer?

I have been living in second floor apartments for 10+ years, 8 of which with a sound system that has a subwoofer.

Yes.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I didn't want to mess with sand, so I just put my subwoofer on top of about half an inch of loose cardboard. I'd figure it'd work just as well in terms of dampening vibration transmission - on the other hand I never really cranked up the volume, given how small the room my system was in, so it never really got put through any strenuous tests.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If the subwoofer fires down or towards a wall you can try positioning it so it fires up or directly at the seating/viewing area. If you have to point it at a wall, keep it away from corners and try to keep it at least a foot and a half away from the wall.

Djeet on
  • Options
    eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Djeet wrote: »
    If the subwoofer fires down or towards a wall you can try positioning it so it fires up or directly at the seating/viewing area. If you have to point it at a wall, keep it away from corners and try to keep it at least a foot and a half away from the wall.

Properly positioning your sub will help a lot. I had my home theatre sub right up against the wall in a cabinet and always thought I had no bass even though it was turned up fairly loud, turns out the frequencies were being canceled by some weird forces of physics that I still don't quite understand. Moving the sub has improved the sound by a huge degree and reduced the amount of vibration transferred to the walls.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Yes, I am. If he's directly above them, the volume isn't going to matter.

You've been VERY lucky with extremely tolerant neighbors.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    The laws of physics disagree with both of you. But hey, why believe them when you can rely on anecdotes eh?

travathian on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    The laws of physics disagree with both of you. But hey, why believe them when you can rely on anecdotes eh?

Even at a VERY low volume the thrumming is obnoxious. It's like a mosquito in your ear. I'm not arguing physics, I'm arguing that ANY ambient bass is irritating.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Low frequency sound will travel much further through solid material than high frequency sound, right? Even if the subwoofer is at a very low volume, that very annoying low volume, low frequency sound is still turning my bedroom wall into a giant soundboard.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

The problem with your line of thinking is your only taking into account the vibration transferred directly to the floor through the feet of the subwoofer. There is also energy transferred to the walls through the sound waves generated by the sub, thus moving the sub farther from the wall will allow those waves to be less direct and create less vibration through the wall.

Least that's my understanding.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Even at a VERY low volume the thrumming is obnoxious. It's like a mosquito in your ear. I'm not arguing physics, I'm arguing that ANY ambient bass is irritating.

I agree, and people in China must fucking hate my subwoofer cause my shit travels through the whole damn Earth right? Even when it is set to 3?
    Low frequency sound will travel much further through solid material than high frequency sound, right? Even if the subwoofer is at a very low volume, that very annoying low volume, low frequency sound is still turning my bedroom wall into a giant soundboard.

Your point? I'm not sure what the purpose of quoting me was when you've said nothing to counter my comment.
    eternalbl wrote: »

Ok and? Same for you, how is this countering my argument again?

travathian on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Because those physics you're so keen on are all about the transfer of energy. One of those types of energy being acoustical, which means if the energy source is moved rather than just lessened it can still impact how much energy is transferred to, in this case, the walls and floor of OPs apartment.

I guess if you wanna be a silly goose, you said that volume has a relation to the amount of transfer, but you're incorrect to say that there aren't other options to help lessen the amount of vibration that's transferred through the walls and floor.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010

I agree, and people in China must fucking hate my subwoofer cause my shit travels through the whole damn Earth right? Even when it is set to 3?

Your point? I'm not sure what the purpose of quoting me was when you've said nothing to counter my comment.

If you're going to be a silly goose, just stop responding. We're all speaking from personal experience of living near people with subwoofers. I think that trumps most everything else.

Esh on
  • Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Suspend the sub in the air via an elaborate web of strings and springs!

the sound waves will be more inclined to bounce than penetrate! Maybe? I dunno! Physics is craaazy!

or just get some good headphones, which will probably sound better anyway

Atheraal on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yes, you can suspend them. But the far cheaper way is to simply get speaker spikes, or make your own sort of spike.

The subwoofer is sending soundwaves out and while they do hit the air, a large part of the problem for neighbors is not the soundwaves in the air, but the physical vibration in the subwoofer itself. This is why a lot of them are sold on stands, as that does help minimize them.

Speaker spikes essentially eliminate it, giving the speaker a very small contact point with the floor. As such, the subwoofer is essentially "hanging" in the air, unable to transfer sound directly to the floor.

Other methods such as cardboard, wood platforms, etc., still allow the sub to transfer the vibrations to other surfaces because they sit flush against it. Sand would work but you're essentially just dampening it the same way that you'd do if you turn it down. It's like, if you're emiting a wave, and them damping that wave, why not just make the initial wave smaller?

If you can't afford spikes or are leery about physically modifying the base of your bass, any cone-shaped support should function very similarly (for obvious reasons).

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast