As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[iPad Thread] iOS 4.2 coming in November. Now that's some bull.

Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great!Houston, TXRegistered User regular
3G Model on April 30, WiFi Model Available right-the-hell now!!

Apple gives non-U.S. customers the finger and delays the International Launch until Late May, with pre-orders starting May 10.

So. Guys. I hear Apple has this new whiz-bang computator. Except that apparently it's not really new, and isn't really a computer, and basically has no inherent value whatsoever on any objective scale, I guess?

Behold!
apple-ipad-front.jpg

Okay yes, it's just a big iPod Touch. But on the other hand, it's a big iPod Touch. That brings along heavy implications in terms of new kinds of applications and uses that most people probably haven't even thought about yet. The fact that we will now have arguably the most influential OS/UI in the last ten years in a much larger form factor means that it's going to be a whole new ball game. Don't believe me? Take a look for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oX4_jk-Olxs

The WiFi versions cost $499, $599, and $699 for 16, 32, and 64 gigs respectively, and 3G versions will cost $130 more. WiFi versions are available for purchase now, and the 3G versions will come later in April.
tumblr_kwyl31J1Xt1qzpwi0o1_500.png

The iPad Itself

One of the forumers here, gearn, wrote up a review/editorial expressing his feelings toward the iPad, and it more or less sums up the feelings of many here who have actually used and purchased the device:
gearn wrote: »
Alright, just wanted to give my own review here of the iPad for anyone who may be on the fence. I've had the iPad for like a week now so I'm well past the hype and novelty phase for the device. When I was first thinking of getting the iPad I had my doubts and reservations about whether or not this would be a device worth getting, even though there was no clear purpose for it as far as I could tell. These doubts still lingered on after my purchase.

But all that was blown away from the first moment I touched the screen.

Holy shit. There is definitely a "holy shit" factor to this device. Just holding it is intoxicating. It really is incredible how something so thin, and so light, could just be capable of so much power. I can honestly say that never in the history of the world has so much power been invested in the tap of a finger.

I was worried the keyboard was going to suck, but those thoughts all just vanished after about 2 seconds of typing on the touch screen. It was amazing, better than I though it would be. I didn't give a shit. And the screen? Christ, I didn't expect it to be this good, it's just weird how awesome it is, the viewing angle is amazing, this isn't like a fucking big iPhone, it's not a fucking big iPhone at all with a screen like this. This completely changes the device alone.

Everywhere I went, the iPad won hearts and minds. Not a day has gone by where people haven't asked me about my iPad. The question is always the same "Well, how do you like your iPad?". Like? I love this shit. My laptop has not left my room in god knows how long. There's just no need. I carry the iPad with me to classes and type up notes like it's no problem. And the classes in which I can't really type notes, carrying the iPad is much better than carrying a comparatively heavy ass laptop (and my laptop is a fucking unibody Macbook!).

The browsing experience is just completely incredible. I worried about what the lack of flash on the iPad would mean, but now I don't give a shit and frankly as far as I'm concerned Adobe could fucking collapse and close it's doors forever and the world would be a better place. I could care less but I won't because frankly Photoshop is still pretty popular with most people and is probably worth keeping Adobe around for.

But the browsing, it totally rocks. It's like having a browser window ripped off from my computer screen and just floating around with me wherever I go. And the experience of touching things is so intuitive, we've all clicked buttons, but have you ever touched a button? It's an incredible feeling.

I took my iPad to a Starbucks on campus, originally just intending to pick up some coffee and leave, but while I was waiting for the barista to hand me my drink I heard a girl behind me say "Oh cool an iPad!" I turned around and then of course then she asked me what I thought about it and we ended up chatting for a bit about various things. End result? Scored a date for the weekend with an attractive girl (and now we got a second one lined up).

I also took the iPad to my sisters house where her kids (who are 3 and 5 years old) instantly took the device and started flying through apps with incredible ease. I purchased a kid app for the 3 year old and he played it very well. I realized then, that when these kids grow up, and they go to buy a computer, chances are the first brand they're going to turn to is Apple, the one they've known since they were born.

And it isn't just little kids who love the device. I was at a bookstore sitting in the magazine section just reading some stuff on the internet when an old lady sitting in a chair next to me pointed out my iPad to her husband, amazed by it. They asked me all sorts of old people questions about the device and I offered to let them use it. Surprisingly they found it easy to use and understand, all they had to do was touch whatever they wanted to see, and type whatever they wanted to search in a box, it was easy! It was then that the old man declared that his life was "complete". He had finally been able to actually use a computer, and even made his first google search. I don't think you guys appreciate the significance of this, this is a man who has probably lived through a Great Depression, the invention of TV, World War II, the start of Commercial Air Travel, the Moon Landings, the cuban missile crisis, the JFK assasination, Nixon, vietnam, the fall of the soviet union, computers, a black president, and it was only NOW, at THIS moment, with THIS device, that he could really feel his life was complete. Computers were no longer complex mysterious devices to him, he now understood how to use it and what it was for. He was now just beginning to grasp the vastness of the internet. I told him about the Apple store in the mall where he could go get one, and how there is always an Apple employee that comes up to help you from the moment you walk in, and that was really all he needed. He left, presumably to go visit the store he had never dared to venture in before. It was incredible.

Aside from school, I do some part time wedding photography to earn money, and I usually have to carry around this big ass album of photos to clients to show them my work, but last week I decided to say fuck it and just take my iPad and SD card. It was a risk, but they loved the photos on the iPad's screen and the presentation went very well. They called me a few days later to tell me they wanted me to take pictures at their wedding. Awesome.

There is no question that the iPad is going to be successful. We can already see that it's going to be imitated, but NEVER duplicated. This is because other manufacturers just don't "get it". It's amazing really, they're going to come out with these thick, heavier tablets with moving parts and visible screws and say "Here's our tablet... and a list of features you don't give a shit about." and then call it a day. Why the fuck do they even bother? Seriously, this is the old way of making shit, come to the 21st century where everything is sleek, silent, seamless and smooth yet hard and durable as fuck. If you can see the seams where the device was put together they blew it. If their device requires moving parts they blew it. If their device makes any noises when you shake it or it bends slightly with enough force they blew it. Without these issues resolved, they shouldn't have even tried to make a commercial product, they should have done it purely as an academic exercise.

It wasn't all rosy though. I did have one cynic confront me. It was on my morning bus ride to a class and I was about to get off at my stop when another guy said "hehe, why did you waste money on that overrated tablet?". I took one look at his greasy hair, his shitty grin, his ill-fitting shirt, the netbook at his side with a linux penguin sticker wielding a chain saw pasted on it, and then I looked him dead in the eye and simply said "It's a Mac thing, you wouldn't understand."

I got off the bus and walked to class (where I would soon find one of my friends showing people some apps on his new iPad).

Yea, the iPad probably has less features and pieces and gizmos than the other clone tablets coming out. For it's premium price, you'd have to be blissfully ignorant to buy one... and that is why you should.

Recommended Apps with impressions from your fellow Forumers

Netflix
Your standard Netflix app, but now with instant video streaming. HOT.
Streaming Netflix is sooo win. SO WIN.

Dragon Dictation
Speech recognition software, now revamped for your iPad.
powersurge wrote: »
Dragon dictation is an amazing piece of software it's just a shame that it's not built in all the native apps. This post brought to you by dragon dictation.

iBooks
Apple's own bookstore and electronic book software, competing directly with the Kindle.
I am really surprised how enjoyable reading is on it. I think I am liking this iPad thing way more than I thought I would.

StreamToMe
Allows music and video streaming from your Mac to your iPad.
Trakker wrote: »
Just wanted to pop in and say that the app StreamToMe works like a charm for playing your movies.
I fired it up, it found my movies folder on my Macbook, and started playing an .avi file in seconds. Now if I could only get Wake On Lan working it'd be perfect; keep the Mac asleep, and use the iPad to play videos at any time.

Marvel Comics
Digital comic book reader brought to you by Marvel.
The Sneak! wrote: »
If you love Marvel comics, you'd definitely want to grab the Marvel comics reader as well.

Labyrinth 2 HD
Roll your ball around different maze levels.
Jasconius wrote: »
Labyrinth is pretty awesome. Very fluid animation and control.

Epicurious
Cooking app. Find recipes, search by ingredients, make shopping lists, etc.
Monoxide wrote: »
Aoi wrote: »
Epicurious is a fantastic cookbook app that also lets you set a shopping list for whatever recipe you decide you're going to be making from it. And as a silly aside, the title screen was one of the first things visually that made my jaw drop. Silly, I know, but that picture really shows off the sharpness of the display.

The only thing Epicurious is missing is online shopping list storage that syncs to the iPhone version

I'm not about to bring my iPad to the grocery store but man do I love looking through recipes on it and referencing it while I cook

I made Roast Chicken Breasts with Tomato and Garbanzo Beans last night with the iPad propped up on the counter and it turned out great.

edit: and you're not kidding, that splash image really is awesome

Air Video
Another streaming app, this one specifically for video.
Weedlum wrote: »
So I just grabbed AirVideo for the iPad(it's universal now). That is some hot shit right there. You run the free server software on you PC or Mac and point the server at your video folder and it will stream it to your device. It will even convert the videos as it's streaming so you can watch .avi videos on your iPad. There's a free demo which limits the number of fils you see to 3, but for $3, this thing is a steal. Works over the Internet too, not just local wifi.

More recommendations are on the way! If you would like to recommend an app, write up a small review or impressions for it in this thread and I'll include it in the OP. I'll try to keep up with it, but if I miss your review, send me a quick PM and I'll include it.

Steam | Twitch
Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
Big Dookie on

• Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    But but but... I thought that the iPhone/iPad didn't need multitasking...

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    This will be a brilliant mobile portfolio for photographers. Considering how much a lot of people will spend on a good leather portfolio and prints to fill it, an iPad would pay for itself within a few portfolio updates.

Bit of a niche market though.

Dark Moon on
    3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I plan on getting one, especially to use with Air Video. I got a ipod touch a while back, but would like something a bit larger.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Argh, I'm trying to decide which model to get. Too many options...

I'm very tempted to go all out for the 64G 3G model. Even though I'll probably never need 3G, it'd be nice to have the option there. But then I'd have to wait until late April, which would kind of suck. Can't decide!

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I just went for the $500 model. Tethering with a jailbroken iPhone and MyWi is effortless, and I figure 16gb is plenty of space for lots of apps and the occasional video (especially since I suspect I'll just end up selling it when the next revision comes out).

What is frustrating is that my college's mail services isn't open on Saturdays, and I'm pretty far away from an Apple Store...

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, I think I will probably go for the 32 or 64 gig WiFi version. As much as I'd like to have that safety blanket of 3G, I can't really imagine many scenarios where I would have my iPad with me and either not have WiFi access or not have my phone too. As long as I have that, I can either tether it or just use the 3G on the phone.

WiFi it is. Now just to decide which one.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    blackranger3dblackranger3d Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Yeah, I think I will probably go for the 32 or 64 gig WiFi version. As much as I'd like to have that safety blanket of 3G, I can't really imagine many scenarios where I would have my iPad with me and either not have WiFi access or not have my phone too. As long as I have that, I can either tether it or just use the 3G on the phone.

Maybe a noobish question, but how do you know that you'll be able to tether it?

blackranger3d on
    BOOM SHACK A LAKA
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Maybe a noobish question, but how do you know that you'll be able to tether it?

The iPhone tethering software I use (MyWi) creates its own wireless network that any WiFi-enabled device can connect to. Unless Apple specifically disallows ad hoc wireless networks (is that even possible?), tethering an iPad should be exactly the same as tethering a laptop or connecting the iPad to a normal wireless network.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, you can't do it with a straight iPhone. It either has to be unlocked or you're using something else. I personally use a Palm Pre as my phone, and I have some homebrew software on it that allows it to create an ad hoc WiFi network for any device to use. Many other phones provide similar tethering options, or you can buy one of those 3G access points some carriers have been selling, Verizon's hotspot thing (though you have to pay extra for that).

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    sterling3763sterling3763 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm on the fence. If the iPhone 4.0 rumors are true, I'll definitely be taking the plunge.

sterling3763 on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Wanting the 3G one.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Does the iPad support Bluetooth? I.e., could I get an iPad, a $30 a month data connection, and use Skype or whatnot?

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yes, both versions have BT. I'd say using the 3G version for Skype would certainly be possible.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    I reserved a 32GB model for in-store pickup. I'm still kind of on the fence, but now I have until the 3rd to decide whether or not I want to pickup my pre-order.

I really think that I would like the device, and it has a lot of great uses now and has tons of potential to grow, but the 32GB model + case + Bluetooth keyboard came out to like $760 with tax. That's a large chunk of change for something that I "think I would like" compared to something I really need.

I just wish I had a better picture of what kind of iPad apps we'll be seeing near the release date.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Oh God, this is the greatest thing ever.

The iMaxi iPad Case
    il_fullxfull.125922357.jpg

And they have one with red interior lining.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    So there were also some new developments added today. I swiped these out of this long-winded and poorly written PCWorld article
    • The iBooks application won't be shipped on the iPad-rather, it will be a free download from the App Store. While many of the details of the app were already known, Apple does drop a few new tidbits on its iBooks page, such as the fact that free ePub titles available from eleshwhere can be synced to iBooks via iTunes, allowing you to read them on your iPad.
    • Apple also says iBooks will remember where you left off when you finish reading, allowing you to pick up from there next time you launch it.
    • Touching and holding any word lets users look it up in the built-in dictionary, on Wikipedia, or search for it in the book or on the Web.
    • iPad's VoiceOver screen-reading technology allows you to have any page read aloud to you.

• Apple's added a physical screen rotation lock switch on the right-hand side of the iPad, right above the volume controls.
    • On its page about Accessibility, Apple adds that you can now route both left- and right-channels of audio to just one headphone, for those who might have a hearing issue in one ear.
    • The iPad now supports AVI videos in MotionJPEG format, with data rates of up to 35Mbps, resolutions of up to 1280 by 720 pixels, and PCM stereo audio. iTunes has never supported any AVI files in the past, and the huge data rate goes way beyond what even the Apple TV can handle.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    The iBook stuff isn't that exciting, that's all base level stuff that Kindle supports. Wake me when Ray Kurzweil's book app is ported to it.

The AVI stuff is interesting. Doesn't appear to support XVID? But being able to whip out some Urusei Yatsura while in line for something else is an interesting idea.

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Finally made a decision and placed my pre-order. I ended up getting the 64 Gig WiFi version. I kept going back and forth between that and the 32 gig, but I figured it was worth the extra $100 to never worry about space being an issue. For many people the 16 and 32 versions are probably plenty, but I tend to get lots of movies and games and stuff that take up a lot of space, and considering the format, the file sizes will likely be even bigger on the iPad. Have I justified my purchase yet? No? Oh well.

I went ahead and ordered the regular (non keyboard) dock for it as well. I love the idea of leaving this thing charging in the living room while acting as a digital photo frame whenever I'm not using it. I might eventually get the keyboard dock as well to keep on my desk at work for whenever I feel the urge to bust out some actual productivity on it.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    KiTA wrote: »
    The iBook stuff isn't that exciting, that's all base level stuff that Kindle supports. Wake me when Ray Kurzweil's book app is ported to it.

The AVI stuff is interesting. Doesn't appear to support XVID? But being able to whip out some Urusei Yatsura while in line for something else is an interesting idea.

The AVI stuff is actually just weird because it doesn't even mention supporting h.264/mp3, but maybe they didn't mention it because the iPad already supports those formats?

I don't really understand why they'd add support for AVI containers and then only allow an obscure and inefficient video codec.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Finally made a decision and placed my pre-order. I ended up getting the 64 Gig WiFi version. I kept going back and forth between that and the 32 gig, but I figured it was worth the extra $100 to never worry about space being an issue. For many people the 16 and 32 versions are probably plenty, but I tend to get lots of movies and games and stuff that take up a lot of space, and considering the format, the file sizes will likely be even bigger on the iPad. Have I justified my purchase yet? No? Oh well.

I went ahead and ordered the regular (non keyboard) dock for it as well. I love the idea of leaving this thing charging in the living room while acting as a digital photo frame whenever I'm not using it. I might eventually get the keyboard dock as well to keep on my desk at work for whenever I feel the urge to bust out some actual productivity on it.

honestly I'd just buy another Dock for work and pick up a bluetooth keyboard as well

the keyboard dock is nice, but I don't think having the keyboard physically attached that close to the screen will be ideal for comfort, and since Apple is charging $70 for it (the same they charge for the excellent Apple Bluetooth keyboard), I'm not finding any good reasons to buy the keyboard dock. especially if you've bought the leather case that can prop it up in the same position the dock would anyway.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Dark Moon wrote: »
    This will be a brilliant mobile portfolio for photographers. Considering how much a lot of people will spend on a good leather portfolio and prints to fill it, an iPad would pay for itself within a few portfolio updates.

I can't think of any worse way I'd want to have a portfolio for photography. Small screen, smudges, inability to see results in print, etc....

stigweard on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

honestly I'd just buy another Dock for work and pick up a bluetooth keyboard as well

the keyboard dock is nice, but I don't think having the keyboard physically attached that close to the screen will be ideal for comfort, and since Apple is charging $70 for it (the same they charge for the excellent Apple Bluetooth keyboard), I'm not finding any good reasons to buy the keyboard dock. especially if you've bought the leather case that can prop it up in the same position the dock would anyway.
    Yeah, good point. It'd be slightly more expensive to buy the dock and kb separately, but then I could use the keyboard for just about anything.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited March 2010

The leather case props it up landscape, the dock is portrait. If you're using a physical keyboard and an iWork doc, you're probably gonna want it portrait.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I want this thing for one thing only. OK maybe two things.

1) All-around web access at work over 3G
    2) A web companion device at home since I am limping on a single monitor right now and general communication functions away from my desk.

It does that perfectly, minus the wireless contract.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I don't really understand why they'd add support for AVI containers and then only allow an obscure and inefficient video codec.

Cause it's a free codec -- they don't have to pay anyone. In addition, it's inefficient, but it allows them to claim AVI support while still encouraging users to use something, anything else (preferably an Apple owned video format).

KiTA on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I want this as a big PDF reader for programming books and academic journals, to compliment my kindle which does reflowable text like novels quite nicely

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Cause it's a free codec -- they don't have to pay anyone. In addition, it's inefficient, but it allows them to claim AVI support while still encouraging users to use something, anything else (preferably an Apple owned video format).

What Apple owned video format would that be? They mostly just encourage mpeg 4/h.264

Like most companies they have anemic support for the AVI container because the AVI container is a pile of shit and it is incredibly hard to support every bizarre video and audio codec mishmash that some amateur group decides to shoe-horn into it

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    stigweard wrote: »
    Dark Moon wrote: »

I can't think of any worse way I'd want to have a portfolio for photography. Small screen, smudges, inability to see results in print, etc....

I wouldn't do it myself, but it's pretty talked about at a pro wedding photographer forum I frequent. It's no good for showing a 40"x60" canvas, but for studio-less folks who meet at coffee shops it'll be a great way to give your presentation.

Dark Moon on
    3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Senjutsu wrote: »

What Apple owned video format would that be? They mostly just encourage mpeg 4/h.264

Like most companies they have anemic support for the AVI container because the AVI container is a pile of shit and it is incredibly hard to support every bizarre video and audio codec mishmash that some amateur group decides to shoe-horn into it

right, which is exactly why I understood their lack of support for the AVI format

but to add AVI support for Motion JPEG and not xvid or h.264 is kind of pointless

people are still going to throw their AVI's at iTunes and get "Not compatible" errors, except this time they'll call Apple support screaming that they explicitly claim AVIs are supported

is there something that saves Motion JPEG as AVI that I'm unaware of? a line of digital cameras or something?

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Nonlinear editors and older digital cameras.

Newer ones tend to use mpeg 4 in an actual mpeg 4 container

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I was all set to go to the Apple store to pre-order a 32gb 3G model today... but instead have to sit around the house today while plumbers fix leaky pipes. Ug.

Rothgarr on
  • Options
    psychoticdreampsychoticdream Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    so let me get this straight

apple in their INFINITE "wisdom" makes it so that you cant replace the battery yourself and instead if it goes kaput you gotta pay 105 bucks to get them to give you a new ipad and you give them yours

....why????????

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/13/dead-ipad-battery-never-mind-replacing-it-apple-just-sends-ano/

psychoticdream on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I'm betting in the first teardown the internals of that thing are going to turn out to be 70% battery

basically to make it replaceable it would have to be far thicker

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

apple in their INFINITE "wisdom" makes it so that you cant replace the battery yourself and instead if it goes kaput you gotta pay 105 bucks to get them to give you a new ipad and you give them yours

....why????????

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/13/dead-ipad-battery-never-mind-replacing-it-apple-just-sends-ano/
    I don't know, it has it's good and bad points. The plus is that, for not a whole heck of a lot more than it would cost me to buy a new battery, I get a whole new system. The only real downer is being without it for a while, and having to back up everything before sending it in. Also, if making the battery non-replaceable is what makes the unit so thin and uniformly sexy, I'll take it.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited March 2010

....why????????

I don't know, it has it's good and bad points. The plus is that, for not a whole heck of a lot more than it would cost me to buy a new battery, I get a whole new system. The only real downer is being without it for a while, and having to back up everything before sending it in. Also, if making the battery non-replaceable is what makes the unit so thin and uniformly sexy, I'll take it.

its not even new its gonna be refurbished!!!!
    moreover you lose any settings or stuff saved to your ipad unless you have it sync'ed 24/7

psychoticdream on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Why wouldn't you just sync it before you sent it away?

And refurbed probably carries very little meaning here - I'd guess they'd have to swap in a back plate if that thing is as crammed with battery as I suspect. So unless you're deeply attached to that particular CPU and gumstick mobo...

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, syncing it before sending it off is basically a non-issue. You don't have to keep it synced all the time, just do it one last time before sending it in for replacement.

The "refurbished" thing is sort of meh to me. On one hand, yeah, it kind of sucks getting replacements that are refurbs. On the other hand, from refurbs I've gotten of various electronics in the past, I can safely say that they usually are pretty decent quality. In fact, your refurb iPad will probably be in better shape than the 2-3 year old one you sent in.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Official replacement batteries tend to go for a fair amount anyway. You can buy cheap knock-offs but they are always a bit hit-or-miss (generally miss).

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Why wouldn't you just sync it before you sent it away?

And refurbed probably carries very little meaning here - I'd guess they'd have to swap in a back plate if that thing is as crammed with battery as I suspect. So unless you're deeply attached to that particular CPU and gumstick mobo...

if the battery's broken if the machine itself is gone
    how are you going to get it to work so you can sync it?

psychoticdream on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    If the problem is just the battery, you should still be able to get it to function while plugged into your computer.

I think it's a pretty fair replacement deal, but I don't get why they have a one-week turnaround for in-store replacements. It's not like it takes them that long to grab a refurbished iPad out of the back room and hand it to you.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
This discussion has been closed.