As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Let's make some Viral Horror]- The epic terror of Mandible "manny" Toothfacé

• Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I imagine Manny as having no arms.

Like an emaciated, toothy, penis-shaped man sitting on the toilet.

Waiting.

Mr Fuzzbutt on
    broken image link
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I imagine Manny as having no arms.

Like an emaciated, toothy, penis-shaped man sitting on the toilet.

Waiting.

boy is that freudian.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    this thread has creeped the fuck out of me. Keep up the good work boys.

Gorilla Salad on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I am totally up for recording some creepy noises for use, but whoever is putting the video together has to have audio software themselves to edit it to sound as though it's coming from the proper location, unless the recorder/actor is having someone else do the editing.

I suggest breathing into a microphone while pleasuring yourself.

And then after that you can start recording some creepy sound effects.

That's funny, but I'm serious on the offer. I've recorded some stuff before, but I lack any hosting to put samples up.

DarkPrimus on
  • CliffCliff Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Machismo wrote: »
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    that would mean no clicking or toothgrinding sound effects, which would figure to be pretty prominent since he'll be unseen and we want to establish his toothiness.

He can still grind his teeth with his jaw shut. Imagine a loud, grinding noise from his teeth. His open mouth could project it.

BTW, someone once told me that the most frightening things have a slightly sexual nature to them. Aliens, bursting from the chest, copulating with your mouth, almost sensual killing monsters. I am sure their are others, but I can't think of them. Or the point was just wrong and Aliens is just a coincidence.

I think there is an element of truth to this. It's one of the reasons Silent Hill 2 was so damn creepy, what with pyramid head raping, a sensual/sexual theme to some enemies, and Maria. There were sexual overtones that could turn from disturbing but slightly alluring, to violent and twisted in a heart beat.

In keeping with the original story by arch, the sexual/perverted angle could be thrown in as a red herring. Character tells a shrink about it, says his sister experiences the same thing. Shrink is convinced it is some repressed childhood trauma manifesting itself in the present. She thinks manny represents a parent, uncle, or other family member who molested the character and his sister. Not wanting to deal with the abuse, the memories were repressed until the present. Now, still reluctant to come to terms with a family member abusing them, the fear is transfered unto a supernatural entity. Of course, none of this is true, but the family learns of the shrinks theory and this brings up family turmoil with finger pointing, and trying to get the character and his sister to come to terms with their abuse and name their abuser. Meanwhile, manny's haunting is increasing, and the character and his sister don't know where to turn.

No one believed them.... until it was too late.

Cliff on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    By the bye it's not just the sexual imagery of the Xenomorph from Alien that is frightening - it is the conflicting sexual imagery that it embodies. Consider the vaginal look of the egg, the violent male-rape that the facehugger commits, leading to unwanted pregnancy...

DarkPrimus on
  • Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I think it would be better if Manny is completely naked. Also, you know the sound the regenerators make in RE4? The nasally mouth-breathing sound. That would scare the **** out of you if you heard that in your house.

I remember I mentioned something about creepy breathing in the creepy tales thread, but Cedar worded it very well. I knew I was thinking of something familiar, but he got it - the Regenerators! So creepy . . .

Muse Among Men on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2010
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    By the bye it's not just the sexual imagery of the Xenomorph from Alien that is frightening - it is the conflicting sexual imagery that it embodies. Consider the vaginal look of the egg, the violent male-rape that the facehugger commits, leading to unwanted pregnancy...

Have you seen Giger's original Alien artwork?

The entrance to the derelict ship was a vagina. The eggs were vaginas. Everything was a vagina.

Echo on
  • Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I second the no arms idea. It's a good reason why he can't open doors, he can hava similar lurching gait ala the straightjacket monsters in Silent Hill 2 and it has the sexual undercurren as someone suggested.

Also, what if a door has a window, like, a car door where you can obviously see through what's on the other side?

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I second the no arms idea. It's a good reason why he can't open doors, he can hava similar lurching gait ala the straightjacket monsters in Silent Hill 2 and it has the sexual undercurren as someone suggested.

Also, what if a door has a window, like, a car door where you can obviously see through what's on the other side?

I would say that no, you can't see him like that. If we're sticking with the manny "feeds on fear" angle, than I think it's important that you can't see him (because the portal is closed) but you know he's there. The fear builds for the character waiting at the door, and once it's opened the character's fears become realized. It's like a climax with orgasms. The tension builds, the door opens, and manny is....released.

EDIT: Dunno about the arms though. For his clothing, what if he wears the clothing of whoever he "took" last? All tattered as suggested.

No-Quarter on
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So after a read through of the thread are there any Objections to adding the following to our rules list?

-Manny is never seen. Only described by victims or second hand accounts

- Manny wears tattered rags that often resemble an outfit worn by the last victim( this should be very subtle as not to imply the victim becomes manny)

- Manny has arms - I'm sorry a Walking penis is not scary.

- It should become apparent Manny feeds on fear but will become proactive if someone stands up to him.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I wonder how we can make this scary if Manny is truly never seen, not even in glimpses. Otherwise we're stuck trying to describe how scary people find him, and I don't quite see how that could work.

Yougottawanna on
    edited March 2010
    I wonder how we can make this scary if Manny is truly never seen, not even in glimpses. Otherwise we're stuck trying to describe how scary people find him, and I don't quite see how that could work.

The idea is people will describe him. If we do the police report idea there may be sketches.

In forum posts we can go with how Arch introduced Manny. that Gif was very effective
    The audience would have the general idea and the poster can write it off as a dream until things get worse.

King Riptor on
    edited March 2010
    For manny getting aggressive when he's stood up to, perhaps we could imply that he craves a steady trickle of fear, like a IV, rather than an adrenalin shot of it. When he's faced, he "loses" his fix, and that enrages him.

As for the sightings, he needs to glimpsed in some form. The idea someone had about the shower door and the steam was a good one. I think the two main methods to display manny are via sound- the grit grit grit of him grinding. Make it a distorted sound, like that ghost's death rattle in the Grudge. Perhaps even (oversized) bitemarks or something on objects.

No-Quarter on
  • NostregarNostregar Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The problem is, it seems like the general consensus is that once Manny starts stalking you, he eventually kidnaps/kills/eats/whatevers you.

So how could there possibly be first-hand accounts of his appearance? Once you see him, he gets you.

Or are you saying that you can see him, and then he continues stalking you for a while and then gets you? And that the first-hand accounts are from that stalking period after he was seen?

I think a better way to work his appearance in early on might be in reflections...you catch a glimpse of him down the hall as a reflection on a picture frame, or you see something reflected on a shiny lamp, something like that. Indistinct, vague, and brief glimpses - enough to get a general idea of appearance, but nothing concrete and precise.

I really like the idea of limiting him to hinged doors, but I don't know about limiting it to "human portals" - I really like the idea of him coming out of a washing machine or something like that. As far as only being able to appear in rooms with now windows/other doors, I dunno. If you allow for windowed rooms then at the beginning of the hunting the person might believe that it's just a regular burglar that got in through the window. Basically, giving it the ability to not seem particularly supernatural/able to be rationalized would be useful, if only at the beginning.

Plus, having windows gives possibilities for the reflection thing.

Nostregar on
    edited March 2010
    Nostregar wrote: »
    The problem is, it seems like the general consensus is that once Manny starts stalking you, he eventually kidnaps/kills/eats/whatevers you.

So how could there possibly be first-hand accounts of his appearance? Once you see him, he gets you.

Or are you saying that you can see him, and then he continues stalking you for a while and then gets you? And that the first-hand accounts are from that stalking period after he was seen?

Perhaps. manny seems like a oneshot monster, once he's been fully revealed to you, that's it, you're toast. But until that door is thrown open and he's faced, you jsut get stalked.

No-Quarter on
  • LieberkuhnLieberkuhn __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010

Victims just know what Manny looks like. They don't need to see him; as soon as they realise they are being stalked by him, his image appears in their head.

Lieberkuhn on
    While you eat, let's have a conversation about the nature of consent.
    edited March 2010

Victims just know what Manny looks like. They don't need to see him; as soon as they realise they are being stalked by him, his image appears in their head.

I dunno. The more unexplainable/supernatural elements you add to the story, the harder it becomes to maintain suspension of disbelief in your audience.

Nostregar on
    edited March 2010
    I like the idea that he can come through just about anything with a door on it.

The idea of a steady drip of fear sounds really good because that would give him incentive to just be there. You hear him breathing. You hear him walking. Sometimes he pounds the door. Sometimes you hear grinding. Sometimes you hear scrapping. You never know what the hell he is doing but he IS doing things out there.

Also I think at some point it should be revealed that even if a door is unlocked manny won't come through. Like the victim gets his grandfathers old revolver and decides to face off with the monster. When the door closes he doesn't lock it and Manny stays out there all night. Never even touching the handle.

Then you could have like his roommate or partner coming in to find him curled up in the room clutching a gun.

Yeah I don't like the manny appearing in your head bit. Need to let the imagination wonder. It's not knowing that scares people.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2010

I dunno. The more unexplainable/supernatural elements you add to the story, the harder it becomes to maintain suspension of disbelief in your audience.

This was one of the original, core elements to Manny, though -- he lurks behind doors and you inexplicably know he's there.

Lieberkuhn on
    edited March 2010

This was one of the original, core elements to Manny, though -- he lurks behind doors and you inexplicably know he's there.

There is no correlation between how long an idea has been around and how good an idea is.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2010

There is no correlation between how long an idea has been around and how good an idea is.

I wouldn't say that that is a bad idea.

However, knowing that something is there =/= knowing exactly what it looks like.

Nostregar on
    edited March 2010

True.

I think it's good, though. Everyone's had that experience where you're alone at night and you just know there's something freaky hiding in the darkness, or behind that door. Manny plays on that "knowledge".

Lieberkuhn on
    edited March 2010
    What if the characters themselves do things that suggest what manny is like. Grinding teeth, biting nails, i REALLY like the ideas of creepy breathing ala the Regenerator from RE4

No-Quarter on
    edited March 2010
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    What if the characters themselves do things that suggest what manny is like. Grinding teeth, biting nails, i REALLY like the ideas of creepy breathing ala the Regenerator from RE4

I like something subtle like having another character ask

"dude what the hell were you dreaming about last night? you had the biggest grin on your face for a little while. . ."

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2010

"dude what the hell were you dreaming about last night? you had the biggest grin on your face for a little while. . ."

maybe someone has stretch marks, bruises, or other abrasions around the corners of their mouths to suggest they smiled so much it started to tear the tissue?

No-Quarter on
    edited March 2010

maybe someone has stretch marks, bruises, or other abrasions around the corners of their mouths to suggest they smiled so much it started to tear the tissue?

That's a good idea too.

"Woke up today. Jaw hurts like hell. . ."

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Toxin01Toxin01 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If this thing actually somehow takes off and goes anywhere, you guys are aware that googling "Manny Toothface" brings this thread up as the 1st result, right?

Toxin01 on
    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
    GM: Rusty Chains (DH Ongoing)
    edited March 2010
    I should have been a producer, I'm awful at coming up with my own stuff, but good at developing what's already there.

No-Quarter on
    edited March 2010
    Toxin01 wrote: »
    If this thing actually somehow takes off and goes anywhere, you guys are aware that googling "Manny Toothface" brings this thread up as the 1st result, right?

which is why he shouldnt be referred to as "manny toothface" by anyone in the tapes. no marble hornet tapes ever refer to it as "slenderman"
    Maybe call him "grin" or "the grinner".

No-Quarter on
    edited March 2010
    I should have been a producer, I'm awful at coming up with my own stuff, but good at developing what's already there.

Everyone's good at that. :p

Lieberkuhn on
    edited March 2010

Yeah but no one would know that name.

And this thread will be deleted.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2010

Manny is a nickname. Toothface is it's species for lack of a better term. We don't have a name for it atm

King Riptor on
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sorry if this has been mentioned, but isn't this just exactly what SA did with Slenderman/Marble Hornets? Just not as creepy?

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
    edited March 2010
    Sorry if this has been mentioned, but isn't this just exactly what SA did with Slenderman/Marble Hornets?

That's the inspiration for this project, I believe.

So yes.

Nostregar on
    edited March 2010
    Sorry if this has been mentioned, but isn't this just exactly what SA did with Slenderman/Marble Hornets?

That's the inspiration for this project, I believe.

So yes.

Yeah, we freely admit that we're totally ripping SA off here.

Lieberkuhn on
  • LeCausticLeCaustic Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

That's a good idea too.

Random interjection; I could see that being taken the wrong way.... :mrgreen:

LeCaustic on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    kaustikos.png
  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    LeCaustic wrote: »

That's a good idea too.

Random interjection; I could see that being taken the wrong way.... :mrgreen:

I'll admit Manny Faceraper does strike me as fairly scary. If in a different way.

Kamar on
    edited March 2010
    I woke up with a black eye once. It was a really huge, impressive bruise that ran right down the side of my face, and wasn't there when I went to bed.

I think Manny did it.

Lieberkuhn on
  • Cedar BrownCedar Brown Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I don't know what everyone else is thinking but I imagined Manny like this. Those lines on the head are supposed to be long, thin nostrils but I was using a blunt pencil crayon.

Manny.jpg

You're home alone and you've just had a shower. Walk to the refrigerator to get a soft drink and movement to your left catches your eye. Manny stands on the other side of a frosted glass door, slowly stroking his dripping, semi-flaccid manhood.

I don't actually find any of this creepy but it's fun to be part of something and I wanted an excuse to use the word flaccid.

Cedar Brown on