As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Year Zero Thread - The End is Fucking Here!

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I gave in and just started listening to this ahead of time. Really chaotic and interesting.

If anyone wants to hear it I put the link up in the OP. Seems pretty fucking cool so far.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Good album.

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I am really enjoying it too. Its heavy in a really unique way.

Rehab on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    i think the noise-y parts on the album are my favorite

I didn't like the more With Teeth-y bits as much

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Yesss, my favorite stuff has been the tracks that really assault you and would put most people in a rather uncomfortable place at first. Those parts seem to fit with the storyline they created better than anything else as well.

Can't decide on a favorite song yet but I really like My Violent Heart and The Great Destroyer.

Rehab on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Nothing Reznor does in the future will ever be as good as "The Fragile"

That album is my most played ever.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    The Fragile is my favoritest NIN

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    The lyrics are nothing to write home about but the music is simply divine.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Bloods End wrote: »
    Last song's lyrics still make me feel hells of emotional. Especially the chorus...

Oh, and musicwise...damn.

I fucking adore the Greater Good. It's just so excellently weird. And for some reason I like that strummy noise on The Warning.

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    wallhitter wrote: »
    Last song's lyrics still make me feel hells of emotional. Especially the chorus...

I fucking adore the Greater Good. It's just so excellently weird. And for some reason I like that strummy noise on The Warning.

Sorry. Was talking about "The Fragile"

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    wallhitter wrote: »

Sorry. Was talking about "The Fragile"
    Oh, okay. I'm a retard. Fuck me with a chainsaw.

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    Re: nholderRe: nholder Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Broken. Reminds me of Broken. Actually, it reminds me of Fixed..and the fact that Broken was Fixed...oh god, you NIN fans get the idea.

The Warning is fun.

It's like The Fragile, but more focused and on crack.

Re: nholder on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Odd note: Why is it that God-Given makes me think of Rammstein's "Ich Will" music video?

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    HybridHybrid South AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I picked it up yesterday, and am quite enjoying it.

thats all I have to say.

Hybrid on
  • Options
    CalebrosCalebros a k a TimesNewPwnin Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    i have been listening to it since it was leaked by trent on the 4th. i pretty much haven't stopped.

i love that every time i listen to it i pick up some other noises in the songs that i have never heard before

i listened to it today from a stereo that was playing across the room for the first time (i am always listening to it on my computer or my headphones) and i heard some effects and noises and shit i had no idea were there

Calebros on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I think its all good, but the second half is just hells of awesome.

Hybrid on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Calebros wrote: »
    i have been listening to it since it was leaked by trent on the 4th. i pretty much haven't stopped.

i love that every time i listen to it i pick up some other noises in the songs that i have never heard before

i listened to it today from a stereo that was playing across the room for the first time (i am always listening to it on my computer or my headphones) and i heard some effects and noises and shit i had no idea were there

I have noticed this very much myself.

There is also the point that I just started listening today but still, it is really heavily layered.

Rehab on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    after you listen to it a bunch of times and memorize the songs, listen again and don't pay attention to any of the surface noises

its like whole other songs in the backgrounds

Calebros on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I'll certainly have to try that. Right now I have the refrain from Survivalism stuck in my head on repeat so I think I'm just going to go through the entire album again.

Rehab on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Nothing scares me like giant fucking hands coming from the sky

Furu on
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited April 2007
    I've been listening to this basically nonstop for the last week.

For the first time in a long while, there's an album that works as an album. I can cue up the first track and listen to it start to finish, and even the weaker songs like Beginning of the End work in context.

I haven't cared much for nine inch nails since Downward Spiral, but this is a phenomenal album. Even moreso if you've been following the ARG as obsessively as I have.

Knob on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    knob i came in here prepared to yell at you

but now i love you more than ever

not only have i been following the ARG but i even made AiR shirts and have been puttin the logo places and stuff

Calebros on
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited April 2007
    Also, the END OF THE FUCKING UNIVERSE breakdown in The Great Destroyer is one of the best things I've heard ever. Crank your speakers as loud as you can and sit directly between them. There are some interesting experiments with phasing around the 2:40 mark. You'll know if you're sitting in the right spot if all of the sudden it sounds as if your speakers have vanished and reappeared behind your head, and are stomping on your brains with giant hobnailed boots.

Knob on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    yessss

can you hear the guy saying Red Horse Vector in there?

also the way the tracks work in conjunction with one another is just fuckin fantastic

the massive clusterfuck of noise at the end of The Great Destroyer is made so much better because it is followed by the eerie quiet discomforting depression of Another Version of the Truth, which in turn leads to the realisation of how bad we fucked up the place with In This Twilight, and then the regret and sadness that Zero-Sum instills just makes it fucking beautiful

Calebros on
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The only song I liked that Trent ever made was Perfect Drug.

The rest can be compared to dicking a chalkboard with a double knife strap-on.

Meiz on
  • Options
    SamiSami Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Trent Reznor is the faggiest of fags.

Sami on
  • Options
    kerwinkerwin Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I want to live in a post apocalyptic world!

I'd be all like POW POW POW!

kerwin on
  • Options
    SamiSami Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    That said, this album is fucking great and I am a huge NiN fan

Sami on
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Got it yesterday, fucking love it.
    The Good Soldier is fanfuckingtastic.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    omega71omega71 Too old for a title, too ornery to care. Sacramento, CaliRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I got this yesterday as well...I have had the leak for a bit and have listened to it like a motherfucker..But actually having the cd, and looking for all of the clues to the ARG is so much better...

Speaking of the ARG..If anyone besides me has been following since the beginning...Have any of you gone to the http://www.freerebelart.net/ and put in your phone number?? Its fucking a trip...

omega71 on
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    omega71 wrote: »
    I got this yesterday as well...I have had the leak for a bit and have listened to it like a motherfucker..But actually having the cd, and looking for all of the clues to the ARG is so much better...

Speaking of the ARG..If anyone besides me has been following since the beginning...Have any of you gone to the http://www.freerebelart.net/ and put in your phone number?? Its fucking a trip...
    I havent under the assumption that it wont work with an australian number.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    omega71omega71 Too old for a title, too ornery to care. Sacramento, CaliRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    evilbob wrote: »

I havent under the assumption that it wont work with an australian number.

I am almost positive it is..I know it worked in Canada as I sent the site to one of my friends up there...

omega71 on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Oh holy shit, that was fucking awesome. Probably the best thing they set up for people to interact with yet.
    My phone rang in the other room though and I ran over in anticipation almost missing the call. When the monitor changed after saying the password and she started laying all that heavy shit on you it was actually a bit frightening. My computer . . . its tagged. D:

Rehab on
  • Options
    StarfuckStarfuck Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    i'm going to grab the new dvd while i'm at it
    because i am a NIN whore
    a NIN whore

Starfuck on
    jackfaces
    "If you're going to play tiddly winks, play it with man hole covers."
    - John McCallum
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Starfuck wrote: »
    i'm going to grab the new dvd while i'm at it
    because i am a NIN whore
    a NIN whore

For some reason, I just realized where your user name comes from.

<3

Edit: Yeah, that is what I am guessing SA.

Rehab on
  • Options
    SASA Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Starfuckers, Inc?

SA on
    WoW: Revash (Cho'Gall)
    3DS: 5241-1953-7031
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I am now fascinated by that site where you enter your phone number.

They even have something set up for when you call them back.

Rehab on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    SA wrote: »
    Starfuckers, Inc?

I always suspected that is where he got it from but I was never 100% sure.

Hybrid on
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Knob wrote: »
    Also, the END OF THE FUCKING UNIVERSE breakdown in The Great Destroyer is one of the best things I've heard ever. Crank your speakers as loud as you can and sit directly between them. There are some interesting experiments with phasing around the 2:40 mark. You'll know if you're sitting in the right spot if all of the sudden it sounds as if your speakers have vanished and reappeared behind your head, and are stomping on your brains with giant hobnailed boots.

Yes. Also...HYPERPOWER! It's a goddamn maelstrom!

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    StarfuckStarfuck Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    i'm waiting for someone to draw a penis on the heat sensitive disc and post it

Starfuck on
    jackfaces
    "If you're going to play tiddly winks, play it with man hole covers."
    - John McCallum