As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Band of Brothers II: Pacific Thunderer

• Options
    Josiah_9Josiah_9 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I have already let my parents know that I am coming over on Sunday night so I can wrestle control of the remote from my dad. He seemed ok with it.

Josiah_9 on
    Saturate.jpg
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Only one of our friends has HBO and thus he is the one who is hosting everyone for this for the next 10 sundays. Should be interesting.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I signed up for Shaw HD/HBOHD and picked up my HDPVR receiver yesterday, specifically so I can watch this on sunday, and also PVR it.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I bought the Band of Brothers box set last christmas and was not dissapointed, amazing series. Very excited for this.

Also I wish to chime in with the Winters appreciaton from earlier in thread.

101 on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Oh man I am so excited for this. Glad it is happening so soon yesss

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I think my sister has HBO.

I think I'm going to kick in her door come Sunday evening.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I would fight a person to be able to watch this. But I do not have to. Luckily for myself.

Hobnail on
    Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I will fight you to watch it. I don't know anyone with HBO! :(

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I will fight you to watch it. I don't know anyone with HBO! :(

I call shovel

Hobnail on
    Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    they're replaying BoB on network TV here, on monday it was the one where they had the raid over the river so I think we have the 2 most depressing episodes left and then the pacific, so it's gonna be pretty close to up to date as well as free to anyone with a TV

wooooo

L|ama on
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Everybody should read Winters' memoirs

He is just a fantastic person

edit: I am a huge Damian Lewis (his actor) fan, too <3

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You referring to Biggest Brother?

Yea. Read them if you haven't. I got to meet the author not too long ago. Very cool guy and very much still in contact with Winters...who is unfortunately, not aging all that well anymore.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Oh man I hope this show is good

Is David Schwimmer in it?

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    Josiah_9Josiah_9 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Biggest Brother was a great read. I am always impressed with Winters' deep attachment and concern for his men.

Josiah_9 on
    Saturate.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    L|ama wrote: »
    they're replaying BoB on network TV here, on monday it was the one where they had the raid over the river so I think we have the 2 most depressing episodes left and then the pacific, so it's gonna be pretty close to up to date as well as free to anyone with a TV

wooooo

Wait. What? Is someone other than HBO showing the Pacific?

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I think he's saying this certain network broadcast will finish pretty close to the start of Pacific.

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Oh. Dang.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm also eagerly awaiting Sunday evening. But has anyone else read any previews of it?

I can't remember where (or even if it was a TV or in print), but I remember hearing that they toned down alot of the grittiness of BoB and substituted a more cheerleaderish "we're the good guys, they're the bad guys" feeling (which I can't remember ever feeling while watching BoB). The rationale was that BoB was created pre-9/11, when the American public was more comfortable with the grittiness.

I have absolutely no idea how valid that point is, or even how trustworthy the source was (as I can't remember where it came from). But it definitely seems like something right up Spielberg's alley. I'm still really excited, but I have a tiny bit of doubt creeping into the back of my mind.

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    TheCanMan wrote: »
    I'm also eagerly awaiting Sunday evening. But has anyone else read any previews of it?

I can't remember where (or even if it was a TV or in print), but I remember hearing that they toned down alot of the grittiness of BoB and substituted a more cheerleaderish "we're the good guys, they're the bad guys" feeling (which I can't remember ever feeling while watching BoB). The rationale was that BoB was created pre-9/11, when the American public was more comfortable with the grittiness.

I have absolutely no idea how valid that point is, or even how trustworthy the source was (as I can't remember where it came from). But it definitely seems like something right up Spielberg's alley. I'm still really excited, but I have a tiny bit of doubt creeping into the back of my mind.

Man, I hope it's more like BoB than Saving Private Ryan.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    TheCanMan wrote: »

This sounds untrue and I certainly hope it is definitely not true even a little bit. Because that wuold be dumb.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    TallweirdoTallweirdo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

wooooo

Llama doesn't live in the US (he's a New Zealander).

In Australia The Pacific will be shown free-to-air in HD, but it won't start screening until April.

Tallweirdo on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

wooooo

yes, tv one in new zealand

L|ama on
  • Options
    RocketScienceRocketScience Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Tallweirdo wrote: »

wooooo

Llama doesn't live in the US (he's a New Zealander).

In Australia The Pacific will be shown free-to-air in HD, but it won't start screening until April.

And will be interrupted by many stupid ads.

RocketScience on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    On in 15 minutes. Whoooo.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Damn you east coasters!

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    It would be great if one of you got me HBO right now

thanks in advance

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    How bout I just come in here in about an hour and tell you about it.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    How about you describe it to me exactly as it is happening so I can see it with my mind?

In HD, if you would.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    msuitepyonmsuitepyon Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Crashmo wrote: »
    How about you describe it to me exactly as it is happening so I can see it with my mind?

In HD, if you would.

It's.... beautiful...

msuitepyon on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    This show is quite excellent. I almost forgot to watch it.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Excellent. Ever so excellent.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    God dammit someone send me HBO right the fuck now.

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    That was really fantastic. Looking forward to the rest.

I can't tell any of these characters apart, though.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    is there any chance in the world this'll be on hulu or the like?

:/

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I think it was on the HBO site for a bit before, but it was an accident and went down really quick.

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    That was really fantastic. Looking forward to the rest.

I can't tell any of these characters apart, though.

So, pretty much the same as BoB.

I think by the 5th or 6th time I watched it, I knew everyone's name, and it brought the series to an entirely new level for me.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Jesus christ that episode.

Spoilers
    That bit with the Japanese soldier was just fucking awful. D:

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yeah it took a couple episodes to get the hang of SO MANY AWESOME DUDES in BoB

I don't know if the soldiers in The Pacific can top my love for everyone in Easy Company, but if it gets anywhere close it will still be amazing

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    HOW EXCELLENT WAS THIS?

Blake T on
  • Options
    Kool-Aid GuyKool-Aid Guy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Whaa is that the kid from Jurassic Park?

Kool-Aid Guy on
    OH YEEEAAAAHHH