As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Marvel Solicits for July 2007

• Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    Wildcat wrote: »
    Wait. Ben's back? For real?
    Technically, no.
    Then what? Is it the AU Ben thing? And what's the deal with that? Which book is it in?

Me Too! on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Somebody said something to me about it being an alternate universe Uncle Ben who somehow wound up in 616.

Still, though.

It was Ben from a Universe where May died instead of him, and Peter became a famous dick... so it's a bitter, angry Uncle Ben.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
    edited April 2007
    So they did bring Ben back, sorta. Damn.
    I am so close to not reading ASM anymore, and sticking with Ultimate.
    But god, Back in Black is awesome.

Me Too! on
    edited April 2007
    This is mostly confined to Friendly neighborhood, not Amazing...

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
    edited April 2007
    Oh. Then I no longer care, as I don't read Friendly Neighborhood.
    It spills into Amazing, and there'll be heck to pay. Heck, I tell you.

Me Too! on
  • DondumsDondums Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Kraven and Sue Dibny have stayed dead, IIRC.
    But yes, Bizzaro Ben in Amazing would make me really sad.
    Because the last thing poor Peter needs is another thing to make him all angst-y.

Dondums on
    internet
  • LRGLRG Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Okay, how is it that Black Panther is making the Hulk bleed? Are his claws made of a vibranium-adamantium alloy or something?
    LRG wrote: »
    What the hell is Spider-Man doing?

Selling books.

What I'd like to know is why Hulk is fighting damn near everybody is in the marvel universe when it was only 4 guys who agreed to send him into space. If I was She-hulk/Spidey/anybody else, I'd be like "Fuck you, you fight the Hulk by yourself, wasn't that Civil War shit all about personal accountability?"

Guess that'd make more sense but then you couldn't make an event out of it.

If the Hulk is rampaging through New York City, do you really think Spidey (et. al.) are just going to stand by and let Stark and Co. deal with it?

Your right, they wouldn't stand by. But the Hulk needs to stay focus and go after the illuminati, not just stomp through New York causing mayhem- though I guess that would be the fastest way to get the attention of the heros....

Either way, the shit is gonna hit the fan and this'll officially make Tony and Reed look like the biggest assholes in the Marvel U.

LRG on
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Also keep in mind that the Hulk doesn't have any idea about the whole Civil War thing, so he wouldn't know that Spidey and Iron Man (for instance) aren't working together.

...although I suppose he could send some recon or something before he slams his feet down onto the Earth and sinks Australia.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    Okay, how is it that Black Panther is making the Hulk bleed? Are his claws made of a vibranium-adamantium alloy or something?

Selling books.

What I'd like to know is why Hulk is fighting damn near everybody is in the marvel universe when it was only 4 guys who agreed to send him into space. If I was She-hulk/Spidey/anybody else, I'd be like "Fuck you, you fight the Hulk by yourself, wasn't that Civil War shit all about personal accountability?"

If the Hulk is rampaging through New York City, do you really think Spidey (et. al.) are just going to stand by and let Stark and Co. deal with it?

Your right, they wouldn't stand by. But the Hulk needs to stay focus and go after the illuminati, not just stomp through New York causing mayhem- though I guess that would be the fastest way to get the attention of the heros....

Either way, the shit is gonna hit the fan and this'll officially make Tony and Reed look like the biggest assholes in the Marvel U.

The aftermath would be funny though. Spidey landing the finishing blow to Hulk and then afterwards Iron Man approaches.

"Good work Peter, you saved the day for the one jillionth time. Now come with us and register. ITS THE LAW!"
    "Seriously pete!" interrupts Ms Marvel "Think about everyone youre hurting by being a hero without an ID Card. By not being suable when super villains blow shit up. Stop thinking about yourself for once you asshole. Oh and we have your Uncle ben alive in the SHIELD carrrier. Just saying."

DarkWarrior on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Annihilation: Conquest gave me about seventy boners.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Age of Apocalypse Uncle Ben

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

God dammit

Is nothing sacred to Marvel?

The rule used to be, "Only Uncle Ben, Bucky, and Jason Todd stay dead."
    Surprise! Bucky and Jason Todd are back, with new identities!
    And yes, I know Jason Todd has nothing to do with Marvel, but still, what the fuck?

Wasn't Captain Marvel on that list, too?

Crimsondude on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Selling books.

The aftermath would be funny though. Spidey landing the finishing blow to Hulk and then afterwards Iron Man approaches.

"Good work Peter, you saved the day for the one jillionth time. Now come with us and register. ITS THE LAW!"
    "Seriously pete!" interrupts Ms Marvel "Think about everyone youre hurting by being a hero without an ID Card. By not being suable when super villains blow shit up. Stop thinking about yourself for once you asshole. Oh and we have your Uncle ben alive in the SHIELD carrrier. Just saying."

He is registered, he's just in cahoots with un-registered criminals.

mattharvest on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited April 2007

God dammit

And yes, I know Jason Todd has nothing to do with Marvel, but still, what the fuck?

See, they loopholed Captain Marvel by having him timewarped into the future. Meaning he's still going to die of cancer in the past.

DJ Eebs on
  • HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Just send Captain Marvel to fight the Hulk. He can't die!

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Just send Captain Marvel to fight the Hulk. He can't die!
    Oh he can alright. He just can't STAY dead.

"Hey guys he's cheating!"
    "What?! Aww goddammit, Marve!"
    "I can't help it if I'm l337"
    "Go suck some cancer, jerk!"
    "Hacker!"
    "Dur-dict-dur!"

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Also keep in mind that the Hulk doesn't have any idea about the whole Civil War thing
    Well, Amadeus Cho is supposedly putting together a team of pro-Hulk heroes in preparation for Hulk's return, so any of them could update him on events.

Wildcat on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Wildcat wrote: »
    Also keep in mind that the Hulk doesn't have any idea about the whole Civil War thing
    Well, Amadeus Cho is supposedly putting together a team of pro-Hulk heroes in preparation for Hulk's return, so any of them could update him on events.

Probably Hercules.

DarkPrimus on
    edited April 2007
    Some preview pages I've seen (without dialogue) suggest
    Shulkie
    too.

Spoilered because I'm paranoid, by the way, but then some other covers have shown a fight involving them too.

Wildcat on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    There's something terribly wrong with that FF cover.

It looks like they took that previous "New FF" art and drew Sue and Reed on top of it.
    Reed has Elf ears.

Goddamnit Michael Turner.
    How do you manage to screw up drawing MISTER FUCKING FANTASTIC? You don't even need to know anatomy. Just claim he's stretching.
    And you still fuck it up.

The Muffin Man on
    edited April 2007
    I saw that cover. It looked like somebody just shit on a page.

Me Too! on
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm not saying I find his art mindblowing or even worthy of mention, but I just cannot comprehend why this Turner guy generates such massive amounts of hate. It's really not bad enough to justify this amount of energy.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Motherfuckers, if you turn this thread into a Michael Turner bitch-fest, I'm going to murder you. WITH FIRE. :x

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    So. I had a dream about that red head on Cap 28. Who is she?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Geebs wrote: »

God dammit

See, they loopholed Captain Marvel by having him timewarped into the future. Meaning he's still going to die of cancer in the past.

I know that, but I fail to see how it's not cheating.

Crimsondude on
    edited April 2007
    Geebs wrote: »

God dammit

I know that, but I fail to see how it's not cheating.

Cheating what? The reader? The unwritten rule?

It's just a character. If you don't like the new stories with the character, don't read it. I don't understand why it bothers people when they decide to change a character in the new stories. It's not like they're going back and burning all the old prints or something.

Besides, I think there's something tragically fascinating about this time-skipped Captain Marvel: it seems like he "can't" die now, since he has to die in the future, but we all know that time doesn't work that way in Marvel. If Captain Marvel dies 'now', it just splits off a new timeline (it's like the Age of Apocalypse....almost exactly so, actually). The paradox disapears (Marvel doesn't have grandfather paradoxes) and we get a new timeline.

I'm not saying I want such an Event - they're tragically hard to manage, as we've all seen - but it's not like this Capt. Marvel is invincible.

Besides, if you were him, would you want to have any interaction with the people who 'knew' you? He's in an incredibly unique and awkward position that I think opens up a whole host of story ideas.

Be flexible.

mattharvest on
    edited April 2007
    Dayspring wrote: »
    Age of Apocalypse Uncle Ben

I think he got turned into a Brood

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I like the way Peter David had Captian Marvel (Genis) describe the universe and time travel: "The universe is held together with bubble gum and baling twine." That's the only way I can understand this new (old) Captain Marvel thing.

I kind of wish Marvel would do a large event that didn't suck and would fix the discrepancies in their continuity as well as some of the shittier stories.

Fellhand on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

I fugred it was Viper, but seriously its
    Bucky
    . srsly.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Fellhand wrote: »
    I kind of wish Marvel would do a large event that didn't suck and would fix the discrepancies in their continuity as well as some of the shittier stories.

And then Sentry punched the Time Stream?

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
    edited April 2007
    Fellhand wrote: »
    I like the way Peter David had Captian Marvel (Genis) describe the universe and time travel: "The universe is held together with bubble gum and baling twine." That's the only way I can understand this new (old) Captain Marvel thing.

Why do they need to?

Again, what's the point in expecting Marvel to actually incorporate 50+ years of history in a universe that only 'actually' covers around 15 really? Just let go of some of it.

Yeah, there's a Spider-Man where they had a baby. More importantly, the writers all stopped referring to it and it clearly isn't a part of continuity now. Why does it matter that it used to be?

If you want unbroken continuity, read a more constrained universe, e.g. the Image-verse (which, really, is just Invincible since everything else sucks). Or just read the comics you like and screw the rest.

There is only one way to have perfect continuity: to have a term of psychos who do nothing but check the thousands of back-comics for continuity violations before writing a new story. Is that really what you want? Would that make this sort of story-telling better?

We have no fewer than three attempts over at DC to do what you're asking, and every time not only has it failed to please the audience, but the convoluted continuity violations returned after a few years. This is the nature of an interconnected universe containing hundreds of heroes and dozens of writers and editors.

mattharvest on
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Someone kill frontline.

projectmayhem on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Why do people knock frontline so much? I haven't had the chance to read any of it.

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited April 2007
    I think it's because most people (and I confess by way of disclosure that I am one of these) feel that Frontline started off really really well, but descended into hypocrisy and oddness towards the end. Thus, they feel cheated.

Wildcat on
    edited April 2007
    Why do people knock frontline so much? I haven't had the chance to read any of it.

I think the main reason is the issue where the stupid bitch tells Cap he doesn't know anything about America because, among other things, he doesn't waste hours of his life watching stupid videos on YouTube or reading Tony Stark's MySpace. (This paraphrase is very close to what was actually said.)

And then Cap just sits there at a loss for words.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
    edited April 2007
    Or, for a comic about journalists, it lacks any sort of journalistic integrity. Frankly, frontline might be better served being told from a different perspective each issue... from one of those "common" people everyone was always so concerned with during the LAST frontline arc.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The best part was the 'secret' about the real reasons for the war. Of course reporting it to the public would be wrong, because a hero's true sacrifice etc. etc.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    edited April 2007
    I'm still trying to figure out what WWH Frontline is going to be about.

"So, Mr. Jones: How does it feel to have been smashed like the puny human you are?"

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Malkor wrote: »

I fugred it was Viper, but seriously its
    Bucky
    . srsly.

It's Sin, Red Skull's daughter.

She was deprogrammed by and went on a killing spree across America with Crossbones. You guys really should read Captain America. It's been good!

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
    edited April 2007
    I'm still trying to figure out what WWH Frontline is going to be about.

"So, Mr. Jones: How does it feel to have been smashed like the puny human you are?"

It turns out that Hulk only attacked the the earth to save it from itself, because Hulk knew what was coming... oh yes... what's coming is more terrible then anything Hulk could do himself...

World War Howard the Duck.

You heard me.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote: