As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Apps randomly lose focus or minimize in windows 7

TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and I got a weird problem - full screen apps repeatedly, and randomly, lose focus and/or minimize. I run media portal as a front end, but the problem occurs even when its not open. Take for example just now, I was playing Frets on Fire and right in the middle of the song, my desktop popped up. FoFiX is still open, I see it on my taskbar, but it's minimized. If I click it again, it'll act like nothing happened.

This problem is particularly noticable in firefox. I navigate using a gyration remote as my media PC is hooked up to the TV and entertainment center, and I use the channel up and channel down buttons as page up and page down buttons. I'll be browsing a webpage with the window maximized (but not in fullscreen mode) and suddenly the buttons will stop responding. Looking at the task bar I'll notice it's suddenly lost focus.

I've tried googling this issue but I keep getting the same problem reposted across tons of "pay to see the answer!" style websites. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Some things to note - I've tried killing all applications in the system tray, nothing is running and it'll still do this. When I was playing FoFix, it was literally the only thing open. I don't use AVG or Skype, as some sites have suggested disabling, and I've turned off notifications in windows 7. Still the problem persists.

EDIT: And just in case, yes, this is a legit copy of Windows 7 Ultimate x64, with a real CD key. I purchased it.

TheSonicRetard on

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Is it aero preview that's causing the issue?

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    bowen wrote: »
    Is it aero preview that's causing the issue?

well I wouldn't think so if no other tasks are running, and I've had no problems with aero preview before. I'm curious, what made you suggest this?

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Meh something that's happened to a few of my friends, really funky behavior from aero.

But you say it's just randomly minimizing, hm.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Any weird software similar to AVG (antivirus, firewall, anything)?

bowen on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    bowen wrote: »
    Any weird software similar to AVG (antivirus, firewall, anything)?

Nope, I don't have any antivirus installed on this PC actually. It's only used for youtube, hulu, and watching video, and playing games purchased off of steam. It's a media PC, so since it doesn't get regular use like a normal PC, I didn't bother putting any anti-virus on it. It rarely downloads anything anyways.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    How does your remote connect to your system? A quick google search gives me people having issues with bluetooth devices, and/or the software associated with them causing issues.

As for fixes, someone had success with migrating all their files/information over to a new Windows User Profile.

Pirusu on
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I get random minimization-of-everything while moving around playing KMPlayer windows. Not the sort of problem you can replicate, just a regular enough occurence to be fucking irritating as it hides every damned window I'm using other than the video.

Do you have multiple displays? I do, and I've wondered if that could have something to do with it. At the same time, I know someone else with a dual display (mine is triple) that uses KMPlayer regularly who doesn't get the same glitch.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    HakuninHakunin Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ego wrote: »
    I get random minimization-of-everything while moving around playing KMPlayer windows. Not the sort of problem you can replicate, just a regular enough occurence to be fucking irritating as it hides every damned window I'm using other than the video.

Win7 has a new feature where it will minimize all other windows open except the one you're currently dragging if you "shake" it. Maybe that's the cause?

Hakunin on
  • Options
    grrarggrrarg Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hakunin wrote: »

Win7 has a new feature where it will minimize all other windows open except the one you're currently dragging if you "shake" it. Maybe that's the cause?

That is probably the OP's problem as well. He pushes a button, the gyration remote moves a bit, and Win7 detects it as a "shake." Maybe there's a way to turn down the sensitivity so that small movements are ignored.

grrarg on
  • Options
    bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Do you have a thumbdrive plugged in? A U3 one? (or any other type of removable media?)

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Pirusu wrote: »
    How does your remote connect to your system? A quick google search gives me people having issues with bluetooth devices, and/or the software associated with them causing issues.

As for fixes, someone had success with migrating all their files/information over to a new Windows User Profile.

My remote is a gyration MCE remote which connects via a USB radio reciever. It's not bluetooth as I understand it.
    grrarg wrote: »

That is probably the OP's problem as well. He pushes a button, the gyration remote moves a bit, and Win7 detects it as a "shake." Maybe there's a way to turn down the sensitivity so that small movements are ignored.

Thats not the way the remote works. The remote doesn't move the mouse unless you press a special button in the center of the remote. Only when that button is held down does it act like a mouse. Besides that, the remote has two buttons - a left click and right click button. To get the shake to minimize feature to work, you have to hold down two seperate buttons and shake the remote (I actually use the feature a lot) Additionally, the shake to minimize feature only works when you've grabbed the title bar of a window. My mouse usually rests dead in the center of the screen, shaking it around wouldn't minimize the window.

And FoFix doesn't have a title bar, it's running in full screen, and the mouse is disabled by default in fofix. And my remote is normally sitting on my desk when I'm playing fofix, and as far as I know nothing has bumped it.

It doesn't seem like it could be that feature messing up.
    Do you have multiple displays? I do, and I've wondered if that could have something to do with it. At the same time, I know someone else with a dual display (mine is triple) that uses KMPlayer regularly who doesn't get the same glitch.

No, my media PC is connected directly to my HDTV, and it's the only monitor connected.
    bigwah wrote: »
    Do you have a thumbdrive plugged in? A U3 one? (or any other type of removable media?)

No thumb drives, but there are 2 external harddrives permanently connected to the PC. They're always on and always connected. They're shared through the network so I just leave them be.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I would try disconnecting as many peripherals as possible (including the gyro remote) and see if it still happens.

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Well, the gyro remote is 2.4 GHz. So it could possibly be picking up random interference from a wireless access point, cordless telephone, or microwave.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

It happens often while I'm just doing a minor position adjustment of a playing video, but I tried disabling the feature (have to do it through the registry) to see if that helps. Let's hope!

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I have a weird problem too.

Older games won't go "up" until I close Firefox. Otherwise the just minimize back. It's so weird.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    usernameusername Registered User new member
    I suddenly started experiencing this problem on W7 - whatever my current application-window was, it would lose focus every minute or so. Very annoying.

Quitting Google Talk solved the problem for me.

• Options
    theantiguytheantiguy Registered User new member
    I know this post is old but I'm have the same problem as OP and I'm not running AVG I'm running Avast! and I do not have a bluetooth device hooked up running win7 ultimate I tried the registry hack but it didn't work. Any suggestions?

• Options
    Well, with my specific problem, I found out that it was the start bar that was stealing focus. It's not the most elegant solution, but I simply made a batch program which would quit explorer.exe whenever I opened an app that was prone to having focus stolen, and then restart explorer.exe whenever the program closed.

• Options
    theantiguytheantiguy Registered User new member
    Well, with my specific problem, I found out that it was the start bar that was stealing focus. It's not the most elegant solution, but I simply made a batch program which would quit explorer.exe whenever I opened an app that was prone to having focus stolen, and then restart explorer.exe whenever the program closed.
    Just finished trying that and got maybe a minute more of play before it stopped again. So I have no idea what's going on...

• Options
    sobbysock11sobbysock11 Registered User new member
    Had the same problem.
    Just follow these instructions on the Microsoft website and it solves the issue
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
    Good Luck

• Options
    nycpixienycpixie Registered User new member
    I just bought a new laptop with Windows 7, and I'm having the same problem. I've had it about a week, and I've noticed the problem mainly when I use the touchpad to click on an object or link within the window. I've had to turn the sensitivity down once already. It was up so high, the pointer would jump around what I was trying to click on. I've also noticed that this touchpad offers the "smart" options, where I can do things like, tap with 3 fingers to minimize the window. I wonder if it's too sensitive, and interpreting the single taps as triple taps, therefore closing the window. I'm going to disable this "smart" feature, and see if it makes a difference.