As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[iPad Thread] iOS 4.2 coming in November. Now that's some bull.

• Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Why wouldn't you just sync it before you sent it away?

And refurbed probably carries very little meaning here - I'd guess they'd have to swap in a back plate if that thing is as crammed with battery as I suspect. So unless you're deeply attached to that particular CPU and gumstick mobo...

if the battery's broken if the machine itself is gone
    how are you going to get it to work so you can sync it?

maybe you should just sync your device more often, you silly goose

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • psychoticdreampsychoticdream Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

And refurbed probably carries very little meaning here - I'd guess they'd have to swap in a back plate if that thing is as crammed with battery as I suspect. So unless you're deeply attached to that particular CPU and gumstick mobo...

but.... but.. (._.) its like technological servitude

i like carrying my stuff in SD cards or usb sticks and changing batteries when i see fit

no power outlet nearby? no problemo just change the extra battery for it, no space on my machine? no problemo switch a SD card or change harddrive woo there we go and didnt have to pay 100 bucks for it!

psychoticdream on
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

If only there was a way to power it off a USB cable, like you would use to sync it...

Senjutsu on
  • hypnotoasthypnotoast Registered User new member
    edited March 2010
    I can imagine a future where third party cases with extended life batteries in them will exist. Seems like a likely product. Or maybe even a case with a usb port, sd card reader, vga out, and a battery so you aren't living in dongle land.

hypnotoast on
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

i like carrying my stuff in SD cards or usb sticks and changing batteries when i see fit

no power outlet nearby? no problemo just change the extra battery for it, no space on my machine? no problemo switch a SD card or change harddrive woo there we go and didnt have to pay 100 bucks for it!

you paid for your extra shit
    so, yes, you did pay (more) than 100 bucks for it (your laziness)!

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

I think it's been pretty well known for a while now that if you want to use the device you purchased any way you want then Apple might not be the best choice.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Eye FlysEye Flys Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I have come to the conclusion that Apple as a corporation is inherently evil.

In order to have access to their products you have to enter into their world. That to me, is unbelievably frightening.

Eye Flys on
    edited March 2010
    Eye Flys wrote: »

In order to have access to their products you have to enter into their world. That to me, is unbelievably frightening.
    215499192_iWbzW-L-2.jpg

?

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    I don't know why anyone is bitching about it costing a hundred bucks to do the battery replacement, since laptop batteries are generally more than that

iPods haven't had swappable batteries for a long time, and now Macbooks don't either. It's a design decision. Fortunately, it's one that allows for way more battery life than removable batteries would without making the devices any bigger, so I'm for it.

Monoxide on
    edited March 2010
    Monoxide wrote: »
    it's a pretty good design if you want great battery life and thinness (I do!) and a pretty shitty design if you want to swap batteries out yourself (who cares)

I hate to point out the obvious here but it seems to me that you've found at least one person who does care.

The appropriate response here would be that he might look at other tablet solutions, not to say that what he desires in a product doesn't matter.

Ho ho, ninja edit. I approve of your new post.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2010
    it's a pretty good design if you want great battery life and thinness (I do!) and a pretty shitty design if you want to swap batteries out yourself (who cares)

I hate to point out the obvious here but it seems to me that you've found at least one person who does care.

The appropriate response here would be that he might look at other tablet solutions, not to say that what he desires in a product doesn't matter.

oh btw whats your sig of? it seems so damn familiar yet i cant place it at all

psychoticdream on
    edited March 2010

yeah, that was a poorly made statement

but if the macbooks are any indication, having a removable battery would probably cut down on the life of this thing significantly. in the MBP, they increased the battery life from 4 to 7 hours when moving to built-in batteries, giving a 75% increase.

that is less than the 100% increase gained by users who carry around two fully-charged batteries, but I think is still a pretty good compromise. the iPad, with a 5 or 6 hour removable battery, wouldn't be appealing to nearly as many people.

Monoxide on
    edited March 2010

oh btw whats your sig of? it seems so damn familiar yet i cant place it at all

Demon's Souls, in the Nexus looking up at the giant statue.

It's my favorite game to have come out in many years.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2010

but if the macbooks are any indication, having a removable battery would probably cut down on the life of this thing significantly. in the MBP, they increased the battery life from 4 to 7 hours when moving to built-in batteries, giving a 75% increase.

that is less than the 100% increase gained by users who carry around two fully-charged batteries, but I think is still a pretty good compromise. the iPad, with a 5 or 6 hour removable battery, wouldn't be appealing to nearly as many people.

I am actually down with the battery being built in. Whatever other complaints I have about the device that is one thing you will not hear me complain about. With a tablet I think I would be much less likely to be carrying around another battery, as opposed to with a laptop.

Though I guess that might change if I were required to use one for work. For just casual use though, yeah, a replaceable battery isn't a necessity in my mind.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    And considering that for basically the same price as you'd pay for a new battery they basically just give you a whole new iPad, I'd say it's a pretty good compromise.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
    edited March 2010
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    And considering that for basically the same price as you'd pay for a new battery they basically just give you a whole new iPad, I'd say it's a pretty good compromise.

they dont give you a new one, its a refurbish
    you dont know how long that damned thing will last

psychoticdream on
    edited March 2010

probably longer than the one you were using yourself without having a team of engineers replace parts and run tests to ensure it's up to snuff?

these are factory refurbished, not used. there's a huge difference.

Monoxide on
    edited March 2010

probably longer than the one you were using yourself without having a team of engineers replace parts and run tests to ensure it's up to snuff?

these are factory refurbished, not used. there's a huge difference.
    Exactly. I didn't mean "new" in the sense that it's literally brand new, but new in the sense that it's new compared to the one you sent in. Not only is the one you get back going to have a fresh battery, but it's also likely to be in much better condition than the one you sent in.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I don't like non-removable batteries in general, because it makes the product that much more of a soft good, but I guess we ship all our electronics junk to India and China so it's not an issue for us.

Fats on
    edited March 2010

have you ever gotten a refurbished anything from apple

it's basically new

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I went ahead and pre-ordered one today. 32GB 3G model so I have to wait until the end of April...

Rothgarr on
    edited March 2010
    Rothgarr wrote: »
    I went ahead and pre-ordered one today. 32GB 3G model so I have to wait until the end of April...

I think the 3G models coming out in April is the only thing preventing me from switching my 32GB Wifi preorder to a 32GB 3G

I don't really think I need the 3G since I have an iPhone already, but the option would be nice, and being able to control the data plan from the device makes it that much more useful

Monoxide on
  • amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Eye Flys wrote: »

215499192_iWbzW-L-2.jpg

?
    My first thought was this:
    You're in the iWorld Bill

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • DigDug2000DigDug2000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

There's no reason to bring FUD into an argument like this. Neither Apple, or anyone has claimed that non-removable battery are responsible for all (or any for that matter) or the battery life in MacBooks. Anadtech (and Apple if I remember that talk right) claim that:
    In order to continue to drive laptop thinness down, Apple started experimenting with using custom lithium polymer batteries instead of the industry standard lithium ion parts. Lithium polymer cells aren’t made of cylindrical cells (they’re rectangular), so there’s no wasted space. Not only does this make the batteries more compact, but it also gives you greater capacity since you’re using all available chassis volume for the battery.

DigDug2000 on
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The only thing that seems a bit off is that they send you a refurb but don't transfer any data for you. So you either need to own a computer (likely, but some people may buy it and never connect it to a PC) or get some sort of online backup for their data.

Would it be that hard to copy over the data from the old one to the refurb they send you? I'm just waiting to hear the news from the first person who sends it in and loses all their work for school because they bought the iPad and didn't sync it.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited March 2010
    would it be that hard to sync your own device
    no, not really, but here we are

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
    edited March 2010

I think the 3G models coming out in April is the only thing preventing me from switching my 32GB Wifi preorder to a 32GB 3G

I don't really think I need the 3G since I have an iPhone already, but the option would be nice, and being able to control the data plan from the device makes it that much more useful

I kept going back and forth on whether to get 3G or not (I, too, have an iPhone).

I wound up getting the 3G since you can turn the service on/off. I don't need it all the time. But when I do need it it will be extremely helpful to me, like a couple weeks ago I had jury duty -- 3G would have been perfect on it. Same thing for train rides in/out of NYC that I take any number of times during the year, etc. I'd have my iPhone all those times, but answering emails and reading websites would be much easier on my eyes using the iPad. One way or another I'm sure I'll be able to make the extra cost pay for itself and I'd probably kick myself more times than not if I didn't pony up the extra $ for the 3G model...

We'll see...

Rothgarr on
    edited March 2010
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    The only thing that seems a bit off is that they send you a refurb but don't transfer any data for you. So you either need to own a computer (likely, but some people may buy it and never connect it to a PC) or get some sort of online backup for their data.

Would it be that hard to copy over the data from the old one to the refurb they send you? I'm just waiting to hear the news from the first person who sends it in and loses all their work for school because they bought the iPad and didn't sync it.

I'd actually want to wipe the device clean before sending it out for replacement. i don't want my files, emails, contacts, whatever being out there. Privacy, you know?

I'd rather just sync the refurb upon arrival. What's the big whoop?

Not sure about those people who don't have a computer, though... but that's gotta be, like, a fraction of a percent of people. Apple even says, you are responsible for all your purchases. if you don't back up and you lose your data you are screwed.

Rothgarr on
    edited March 2010
    Oh I understand it will be the minority, but I know a few people who have an iPod Touch and never sync it because they can purchase anything they want through it. Apps, music, videos, etc. It's all available right there, so why plug it into a computer?

It's their own fault, sure, but this is a society where nothing is "your fault" and even if its stated in the EULA, someone will lose data and sue.

I'm just thinking - it's gonna happen to somebody - so why doesn't Apple just do a transfer, or at least offer such a thing, rather than wait for the inevitable lawsuit? It's a very backwards way of thinking, but then again, Apple thinks different. :P

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited March 2010
    DigDug2000 wrote: »

There's no reason to bring FUD into an argument like this. Neither Apple, or anyone has claimed that non-removable battery are responsible for all (or any for that matter) or the battery life in MacBooks. Anadtech (and Apple if I remember that talk right) claim that:
    In order to continue to drive laptop thinness down, Apple started experimenting with using custom lithium polymer batteries instead of the industry standard lithium ion parts. Lithium polymer cells aren’t made of cylindrical cells (they’re rectangular), so there’s no wasted space. Not only does this make the batteries more compact, but it also gives you greater capacity since you’re using all available chassis volume for the battery.
    Apple claims it on the macbook battery page: http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/battery/
    With the new MacBook Pro, Apple engineers went further. To make the lithium-polymer battery even bigger, they looked for extra space within the enclosure. And they found it in an unlikely place — the removable battery itself. Removable batteries take up a lot of space. They require infrastructure that takes up space. The batteries themselves have to be encased in bulky plastic housings to withstand the wear and tear of handling. Those housings take up more space. And the notebook enclosure has to include mechanisms for a separate battery compartment, such as latches and a door. All those parts take up space that could be used for the battery itself.

The key to making a bigger battery was embedding it in the notebook. To give the MacBook Pro the biggest battery possible without adding size or weight, Apple engineers eliminated all the parts required of a removable battery and embedded the battery into the notebook. This created enough space for a battery with significantly greater capacity — one that can run for up to 7 hours (8 hours on the 17-inch MacBook Pro) on a single charge.

they removed the removable stuff to clear room to make the battery bigger

if it were removable, they wouldn't have been able to fit as many cells in the case, making the battery life shorter

Monoxide on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I thought if the battery dies you can just send it back to them and they replace it and mail it back right?

Jasconius on
    edited March 2010
    Jasconius wrote: »
    I thought if the battery dies you can just send it back to them and they replace it and mail it back right?
    It sounds like the idea here is that replacing the battery on the iPad will be cumbersome enough that it's either more financially or technically feasible for Apple to just send you a whole different unit than to try and take it apart and replace the battery. Common sense says replacing just the battery would be cheaper, but they wouldn't be doing it this way unless it was the most beneficial method for them in some manner. I'm sure we'll hear more about their reasoning for this as time goes on.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    edited March 2010
    Jasconius wrote: »

nope you send the whole unit or go to an apple store to change the whole unit

psychoticdream on
    edited March 2010
    Ugh... the more I've thought about it over the weekend, the more I've started leaning toward wanting the 3G version instead. Has anybody tried changing their pre-order? Is it hard?

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    edited March 2010
    Ugh... the more I've thought about it over the weekend, the more I've started leaning toward wanting the 3G version instead. Has anybody tried changing their pre-order? Is it hard?

give them a call dude
    it never hurts to ask

psychoticdream on
    edited March 2010

give them a call dude
    it never hurts to ask

I just logged in to the Apple store and there's a link where I can cancel my order. I suppose you could also cancel the order and just do a new order.

But as Psychotic said, might be easiest to call

Rothgarr on
    edited March 2010
    Okay, I just canceled the old one and made a new pre-order.

Man, over $900 for the 64g 3G version with a dock. Ouch. My wife is going to kill me.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    edited March 2010

Man, over $900 for the 64g 3G version with a dock. Ouch. My wife is going to kill me.

Don't forget, these things are "magical". Your wife won't kill you once she lays her hands on it.

Rothgarr on
    edited March 2010

Don't forget, these things are "magical". Your wife won't kill you once she lays her hands on it.

Course, then you may have to buy another one since she may not take her hands off it..

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited March 2010
    Anybody getting a case for theirs? I don't want a pouch or anything, but I was looking at these:

kinda bulky, but this is cool (also comes with a screen protector):
    http://gizmodo.com/5459192/oh-yes-the-first-ipad-kickstand

i was thinking more along the lines of this:
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC361ZM/A

anything else worth looking at?

Rothgarr on
This discussion has been closed.