As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Le Monstre du [Chat]

• DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Thanatos wrote: »
    DeShadowC wrote: »
    I'm 6'0 at 250 pounds. I do almost no physical activities especially since I sit for a living. I need to drop below 200 pound or 23% body fat so I can join the navy and get out of this job. I started a diet/exercise program last week. Around 2k calories, high protien and fiber diet. Work out at the gym for an hour a day 6 days a week. 20 minutes on an eliptical then 40 minutes doing weights. Alternating between lower and upper body each day on the weights.
    If you're a naturally big guy, the body fat percentage change is going to be way easier to pull off than dropping below 200 pounds.

And assuming weightlifting is part of that regime, you can maintain the same weight and still be making progress towards your goal. It's possible that the mirror is going to be a much better way for you to judge your progress than the scale.

Yeah I'm more focused on hitting the bodyfat percentage since that'll be easier for me. Going to do stomach and neck measurements every 2 weeks. By the way the navy measures I'm apparently at 31%.

DeShadowC on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I think the only new 3D thing I've seen so far was UP, and it was pretty cool. Definitely subtle, which I like.
    It wasn't at all subtle in Avatar, but was still way better than it was in UP.

Thanatos on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ryadic wrote: »
    Today is day 2 of the diet for the prewife and I. I'm on a mission to lose at least 50 pounds, but would love 60+. She wants to lose 40.

This'll be fun.

Hell yeah. What's your exercise routine looking like?

As of right now, nothing. She doesn't have time to during the week and I don't like working out alone.

Last time I did this diet I lost 50 pounds and didn't work out at all. I'm not too worried this time, but I would like to work out.

I'll think of something. Right now I'm focusing on eating better.

Kudos on changing your diet, but you'll really get much better results if you can take 20 minutes out of your day 3-4 times a week for exercise.

And really a diet isn't something you should do temporarily and then return to your gluttonous ways. Find a way of eating that's sustainable.

What do you propose as a good 20 minute work out that one can do in the comfort of their own home?

You won't get fantastic results without free weights. Period. But you can start off doing body weight exercises like push-ups, crunches, and pull-ups (a pull-up bar is cheap and awesome). Adding muscle means that you're less prone to injury when you start working out hardcore and you burn many more calories just maintaining that muscle when you're sitting down at work. On top of that, high intensity interval training (HIIT) is the way to go for cardio.

Check out the H/A fitness thread, it's full of awesome information (even though the OP still has incorrect info about my beloved tofu).

TL DR on
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm 6'0 at 250 pounds. I do almost no physical activities especially since I sit for a living. I need to drop below 200 pound or 23% body fat so I can join the navy and get out of this job. I started a diet/exercise program last week. Around 2k calories, high protien and fiber diet. Work out at the gym for an hour a day 6 days a week. 20 minutes on an eliptical then 40 minutes doing weights. Alternating between lower and upper body each day on the weights.

if you're working out an hour a day, 6 days a week

I suspect you will see results pretty quickly anyway

I mean, it's going to take a while to lose 50-60lbs; maybe a year?

but I bet you'll start to notice a change within a month

I'm hoping to get it in 6 months. I need to drop it quickly enough so I can go through MEPs and spend my DEPs time getting into shape.

this is kind of a lame thing to say, but you might want to consult a doctor or a dietitian on how best to meet your goal?

I think they say that 0.5-2lbs/week is the safe weight-loss rate, and you typically lose slower as you go because your body gets used to it.

skippydumptruck on
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    G&T

love your comics brosephs. we should totes play some modern warfare 2 in the hizzouse. peace, brozymandias.

Silas Brown on
    edited March 2010
    If you're a naturally big guy, the body fat percentage change is going to be way easier to pull off than dropping below 200 pounds.

And assuming weightlifting is part of that regime, you can maintain the same weight and still be making progress towards your goal. It's possible that the mirror is going to be a much better way for you to judge your progress than the scale.
    Yeah I'm more focused on hitting the bodyfat percentage since that'll be easier for me. Going to do stomach and neck measurements every 2 weeks. By the way the navy measures I'm apparently at 31%.
    Seriously, then, fuck the scale. You can gain five pounds and still be making progress.

And if you drop below 1800 calories, you'll probably start losing more weight, but you're really not going to be building any muscle.

Thanatos on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    Nostregar wrote: »
    Hey guys.

I am awake now.

That's pretty much all I'm going to achieve today!

That's all I achieve every day.

JustinSane07 on
  • NostregarNostregar Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hey guys.

I am awake now.

I've been working my ass off the past few days getting schoolwork done, so today is my lazy day.

But apparently the basement is now flooding so I get to spend a few hours fighting that!

What's your excuse?

Nostregar on
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    brozymandias

word of the day!

desc on
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    some of my more fit friends have had great success with programs like P90X because it varies the workouts so much

of course, they were pretty fit going into it

I'm under the impression that you've got to be in good shape to even make it through a P90X workout

skippydumptruck on
    edited March 2010
    Hey guys.

I am awake now.

I've been working my ass off the past few days getting schoolwork done, so today is my lazy day.

But apparently the basement is now flooding so I get to spend a few hours fighting that!

What's your excuse?

I'm a lazy piece of shit?

JustinSane07 on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Friday, end of day: complete all of my service calls, call of my clients, do all of my paperwork, leave work feeling good about my job for the first time in months.

Monday morning: email from boss, saying that I didn't click one checkbox on one form in our task list system with the line "Is there a reason you didn't do it? Why is this a problem?"

Thanks, fucker. You are bound and determined to make me hate this fucking job, aren't you?

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Winky wrote: »
    So what, he closed it down on account of himself then?
    Dawkins is the most pleasant, reasonable man. I have absolutely no idea where he gets this public image.
    I really have to say that the more I hear from the Christians in this country, the more I support the efforts of atheists like Dawkins.

We're losing a culture war right now that was declared by the Christian Right decades ago because we haven't even fielded an army, out of a sense of "tolerance" or "acceptance" or some hippie bullshit like that.

And don't get me wrong, "tolerance" and "acceptance" totally have their places, but we really shouldn't be tolerant of the intolerant, or accepting of the unacceptable.

I support the efforts of people like Dawkins, but not people who go into a gay bar and are all,
    BTW: They really were going to kill me when I said that in Darwinian terms homosexuality was PROBABLY nothing more than a genetic malfunctioning of the sex drive. They fucking flipped! I thought I as going to be lynched!

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm home sick. I should play some video games. Guilt is preventing that. Stupid guilt.

Thomamelas on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2010
    I support the efforts of people like Dawkins, but not people who go into a gay bar and are all,
    BTW: They really were going to kill me when I said that in Darwinian terms homosexuality was PROBABLY nothing more than a genetic malfunctioning of the sex drive. They fucking flipped! I thought I as going to be lynched!

wow

Echo on
    edited March 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    t gabe and t tycho

more tits in comic por favor

yours,
    chu

wait wut

there are tits?

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2010
    feral i saw that

don't doesn't follow from you are

<3

Organichu on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Dawkins is the most pleasant, reasonable man. I have absolutely no idea where he gets this public image.
    I really have to say that the more I hear from the Christians in this country, the more I support the efforts of atheists like Dawkins.

We're losing a culture war right now that was declared by the Christian Right decades ago because we haven't even fielded an army, out of a sense of "tolerance" or "acceptance" or some hippie bullshit like that.

And don't get me wrong, "tolerance" and "acceptance" totally have their places, but we really shouldn't be tolerant of the intolerant, or accepting of the unacceptable.

Maybe publishing a book where the title calls a deepset fundamental belief of the majority of the population a "delusion" wasn't the best PR move.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

edited March 2010
    feral i saw that

don't doesn't follow from you are

<3

I edited the first clause first and forgot to edit the second.

Also, fuck you.

Feral on

edited March 2010

Haha Oh God. I love how bewildered he is about this development. Who could possibly imagine that a large group of homosexuals who have a place to hang out without being harassed for their sexual preference would have been offended!

Silas Brown on
    edited March 2010
    goddamned my weird midget legs

i'm 6' (probably more like 6'1") and i wear like a 30 inseam

right now i'm wearing 32 inseam pants and even worn around my navel (i prefer around my hips) i'm stepping on the back of the pantleg

goddamned weird proportions

Organichu on
    edited March 2010
    Feral wrote: »

Maybe publishing a book where the title calls a deepset fundamental belief of the majority of the population a "delusion" wasn't the best PR move.

For him personally, maybe not. But it widens the field of acceptable things to say.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
    edited March 2010
    t gabe and t tycho

yours,
    chu

wait wut

there are tits?

217533671_TbUSk-L-2.jpg
    Obligatory "better before they changed the last panel" comment

Silas Brown on
  • DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Seriously, then, fuck the scale. You can gain five pounds and still be making progress.

And if you drop below 1800 calories, you'll probably start losing more weight, but you're really not going to be building any muscle.

So 1800 then for the first few weeks then back to 2k?

DeShadowC on
    edited March 2010
    Feral, your sig looks like a unicorn is standing on his hind legs and peeing rainbows. And it apparently feels deliriously good.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
    edited March 2010
    Hey guys.

I am awake now.

What's your excuse?

I'm a lazy piece of shit?

Nothing wrong with that!

I wish I could be lazy, in fact.

But any time I'm not working my brain is like "Hey, don't you have some other work to do? Go do that! If you play a game I'll make you feel bad!"

Nostregar on
    edited March 2010
    there was a fight on the el this morning

this little white kid kicked the shit out of this big black dude

everyone was :o

Organichu on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2010
    Yay, got that medical statement I need to send in for some healthcare bureaucracy.

"Nothing openly psychotic is noticable."

Good, I can still keep it hidden.

Echo on
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

The great white hope.

Leitner on
    edited March 2010

For him personally, maybe not. But it widens the field of acceptable things to say.
    Yeah, and I certainly don't hear Christians hesitating to say much worse things about atheism.

So, if they don't like it, fuck 'em.

Thanatos on
  • Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Feral, your sig looks like a unicorn is standing on his hind legs and peeing rainbows. And it apparently feels deliriously good.

Ejaculating.

It's ejaculating rainbows.

Aroused Bull on
    edited March 2010
    Leitner wrote: »

The great white hope.

Get that kid a football scholarship!

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
    edited March 2010
    t gabe and t tycho

yours,
    chu

wait wut

there are tits?

217533671_TbUSk-L-2.jpg
    Obligatory "better before they changed the last panel" comment

Wait they changed the last panel?

I don't remember it now.

JustinSane07 on
    edited March 2010
    For those of you that missed it last night:

A Volkswagen Bus exploded outside of my apartment last night. Not, like, a huge explosion, but loud enough that I heard it, saw the orange burst, and ran to my window to see the flames shooting out the engine compartment in the back.

Thanatos on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

A Volkswagen Bus exploded outside of my apartment last night. Not, like, a huge explosion, but loud enough that I heard it, saw the orange burst, and ran to my window to see the flames shooting out the engine compartment in the back.

Meth head get careless?

Thomamelas on
    edited March 2010

Yeah, and I certainly don't hear Christians hesitating to say much worse things about atheism.

So, if they don't like it, fuck 'em.

Yeah. And it's not like a lot of nasty things to say about religions aren't justified. Have you heard about the Catholic Church and its support of pedophilia?

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    sweet mother of fuck it's cold in here

I could cut glass with my nipples

Bama on
    edited March 2010

Did you pictures of the burning bus?

Please say yes.

Nostregar on
    edited March 2010

Terrorism? Was it an IRS Volkswagon bus?

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Bama, that's not an accomplishment. Anyone can do that.

Aroused Bull on
This discussion has been closed.