As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Le Monstre du [Chat]

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    My dad is trying to get me to read the god delusion. I will have to at some point I guess.

Didn't agree with what I have read of it. On morals and evolution.

What's your take, then?

That without a divine lawgiver there can be no natural right or wrong, which is what I define morals as

so basically, there's no inherent moral rules anywhere

there's no thing you can physically do that you for some other reason can't

It's been awhile since I read it, but I want to say that you and Dawkins might be talking apples and oranges. Evolution here would describe the origins of human propensity to act in a way that we would call moral, or at least altruistic.

Yeah, I know

I'm arguing a minor point, that I think the terms of morality, good and evil are unecessary

but actually talking about what he is talking about, I disagree about that too

humans have a propensity to act like we act, including sharing, caring and selflessly giving to members of our social group, but also just as easily kill those fuckers in the tribe across the river and take their food.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Nostregar wrote: »
    Ugh, no, Haikus are awful (in English), just stop.

I see you have an opinion.

I have a different one.

Look man, why take a form that was designed around a language that is nothing like ours and suits our language terribly when there are tons of forms that suit our language swimmingly?
    Language limits, huh?
    No friend, it suits me just fine
    I kill time with them.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • NostregarNostregar Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

I see you have an opinion.

I have a different one.

Look man, why take a form that was designed around a language that is nothing like ours and suits our language terribly when there are tons of forms that suit our language swimmingly?

The fact that the haiku format in English bears little/no relation to the original Japanese form (which I totally agree with) doesn't make it automatically bad.

I, uh, don't know why you think it suits English poorly.

You're going "I don't like something so it is objectively bad" which is a silly thing to do in anything relating to art.

Nostregar on
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    meow what seems to be the problem here?

skippydumptruck on
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Religion [Chat] is only spared title of worst [Chat] because WoW [Chat] remains an ever present threat we must remain vigilant against.

Ludious on
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It's not for the haikus, Inq. It's for the hilarity. Especially when people get worked up and try to get really vehement.

How dare you deny
    the loving wisdom of god
    Go fuck off and die

Senjutsu on
    edited March 2010
    Okay,

all religion debates have to be in some sort of verse

new rule?

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
    edited March 2010
    Ludious wrote: »
    Religion [Chat] is only spared title of worst [Chat] because WoW [Chat] remains an ever present threat we must remain vigilant against.

oh dude

there are so many terrible chats

lady gaga chat and tipping chat and transgender chat and anime chat

too many to name

skippydumptruck on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    My dad is trying to get me to read the god delusion. I will have to at some point I guess.

Didn't agree with what I have read of it. On morals and evolution.

What's your take, then?

That without a divine lawgiver there can be no natural right or wrong, which is what I define morals as

so basically, there's no inherent moral rules anywhere

there's no thing you can physically do that you for some other reason can't

It's been awhile since I read it, but I want to say that you and Dawkins might be talking apples and oranges. Evolution here would describe the origins of human propensity to act in a way that we would call moral, or at least altruistic.

Yeah, I know

I'm arguing a minor point, that I think the terms of morality, good and evil are unecessary

but actually talking about what he is talking about, I disagree about that too

humans have a propensity to act like we act, including sharing, caring and selflessly giving to members of our social group, but also just as easily kill those fuckers in the tribe across the river and take their food.

so?

the term "morality" is necessary to describe why people don't kill the other tribe across the river.

Evil Multifarious on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Podly wrote: »

Inqui your uptight
    Relax, man, smoke a blunt, dude
    Smoke your cares away

yes let us talk about inqui's uptight relax

more like gag reflex

we both know he doesn't have that

nexuscrawler on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The fact that the haiku format in English bears little/no relation to the original Japanese form (which I totally agree with) doesn't make it automatically bad.

You're going "I don't like something so it is objectively bad" which is a silly thing to do in anything relating to art.

I am going to choke you to death if you strawman me again. You're the first person to bring up the term objective in this conversation.

I think it suits english poorly because I think it's a form that doesn't work with the fact that english can take a lot of syllables to convey even a simple idea, doesn't play with meter at all, doesn't play with rhyme at all, etc.

Inquisitor on
    edited March 2010

oh dude

too many to name

I for one endorse poop chat

least we can all agree there

nexuscrawler on
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    EM

talking about morality

while I know for a fact he is a rapist

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    God does not exist
    you are all delusional
    tact can fuck itself

Sarksus on
    edited March 2010
    It's not for the haikus, Inq. It's for the hilarity. Especially when people get worked up and try to get really vehement.

But wouldn't it be funnier to try to force their anger into sonnets?

Sonnets are longer. The brevity of haiku makes it harder for this use.

Nostregar on
    edited March 2010
    we both know he doesn't have that

I actually have a terribly sensitive gag reflex. I've thrown up brushing my tongue before. It sucks.

Inquisitor on
  • Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    Senjutsu wrote: »

How dare you deny
    the loving wisdom of god
    Go fuck off and die

Fuck you, you heathen
    My God's dick is bigger
    Than your God's dick.

Premier kakos on
    edited March 2010
    In the springtime, God
    makes me hungry. I will
    commune via steak.

skippydumptruck on
    edited March 2010

But wouldn't it be funnier to try to force their anger into sonnets?

Sonnets are longer. The brevity of haiku makes it harder for this use.

Hahahahaha. No. Not at all.

Write me a haiku and then write me a sonnet and you tell me which one was easier.

Note how the people of chat are having no difficulty in insulting each other via haiku.

Inquisitor on
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

oh dude

too many to name

Pony chat is pretty bad too.

Ludious on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    @Feral: I, as someone opposed to humanism, am interested in hearing your definition of "humanism."

Hmm.

I have problems coming up with operant definitions of philosophical terms, but I'll give it a shot.

Humanism is the notion that human well-being is the most important moral value, and that humans are capable of crafting a system of ethics that maximizes that value (in a utilitarian sense).

I'm a little unhappy with that definition, because it leaves out other species; I wish there were a term that meant "human well-being is the most important moral value, but other species also have value, and we should endeavor to maximize our well-being in ways that do not reduce the well-being of other species when possible" but I can't think of one.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    edited March 2010
    also this religion/philosophy [chat] wasn't a bad one

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    EM

talking about morality

while I know for a fact he is a rapist

look if you didn't want it, then you wouldn't have been walking around with no pawns covering your delicate parts

Evil Multifarious on
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Transgender chat does not seem like an ever present worry, I can't remember the last time we had it.

Leitner on
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Nostregar, you have excellent taste in signatures. :winky:

Silas Brown on
  • HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Someone said poop?

Haphazard on
    edited March 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    tact can fuck itself

And now we know why Sarsksus is single!

Well, one of the many reasons.

Inquisitor on
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

oh dude

too many to name

Children in restaurants and cellphones in theater [chat] are way up there on the horrible list, too.

desc on
    edited March 2010
    Okay,

new rule?

There once was a man from Brunswick
    Who claimed he could take away your God delusions right quick
    He'd argue you blind, then grab your behind
    and impale you with his big dick

Senjutsu on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    @Feral: I, as someone opposed to humanism, am interested in hearing your definition of "humanism."

Hmm.

I have problems coming up with operant definitions of philosophical terms, but I'll give it a shot.

Humanism is the notion that human well-being is the most important moral value, and that humans are capable of crafting a system of ethics that maximizes that value (in a utilitarian sense).

I'm a little unhappy with that definition, because it leaves out other species; I wish there were a term that meant "human well-being is the most important moral value, but other species also have value, and we should endeavor to maximize our well-being in ways that do not reduce the well-being of other species when possible" but I can't think of one.

In before Will makes a yiffing joke

e: environmentalism?

TL DR on
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Okay,

new rule?

That would be fucking awesome.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
    edited March 2010
    Limericks > Haiku

nexuscrawler on
    edited March 2010

I am going to choke you to death if you strawman me again. You're the first person to bring up the term objective in this conversation.

I think it suits english poorly because I think it's a form that doesn't work with the fact that english can take a lot of syllables to convey even a simple idea, doesn't play with meter at all, doesn't play with rhyme at all, etc.

I actually have to go out so this is my last post for now:

You said haiku are awful. You gave reasons for why they are actually awful. You didn't say you don't like them, you said they are awful and suit English poorly.

If you had said "I do not like haiku" we would not be having this discussion.

Nostregar on
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Feral wrote: »

Hmm.

That's general utilitarianism, and also conflates homo-sapiens with humans, which isn't necessarily the case.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    edited March 2010
    Haphazard wrote: »
    Someone said poop?

it's like I raise the summon German light

nexuscrawler on
    edited March 2010
    Humanism is the notion that the Dude Abides

Senjutsu on
    edited March 2010
    Leitner wrote: »
    Transgender chat does not seem like an ever present worry, I can't remember the last time we had it.

it doesn't happen often now that we don't have m(any?) transgender posters

but oh man

it is a bad chat

IT IT IT

skippydumptruck on
    edited March 2010
    I actually have to go out so this is my last post for now:

You said haiku are awful. You gave reasons for why they are actually awful. You didn't say you don't like them, you said they are awful and suit English poorly.

If you had said "I do not like haiku" we would not be having this discussion.

Die in a car fire.

Inquisitor on
  • HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Haphazard wrote: »
    Someone said poop?

it's like I raise the summon German light

And yet, all you get is me.

Haphazard on
  • Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'd support compulsory sonnet-writing as well. The big thing is that everyone should have to use the same form.

Aroused Bull on
This discussion has been closed.