As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Le Monstre du [Chat]

• DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I heard WoW [chat]. So how about ICC.
    I don't actually play WoW anymore and don't know anything about current raids.

DeShadowC on
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    My dad is trying to get me to read the god delusion. I will have to at some point I guess.

Didn't agree with what I have read of it. On morals and evolution.

What's your take, then?

That without a divine lawgiver there can be no natural right or wrong, which is what I define morals as

so basically, there's no inherent moral rules anywhere

there's no thing you can physically do that you for some other reason can't

It's been awhile since I read it, but I want to say that you and Dawkins might be talking apples and oranges. Evolution here would describe the origins of human propensity to act in a way that we would call moral, or at least altruistic.

Yeah, I know

I'm arguing a minor point, that I think the terms of morality, good and evil are unecessary

but actually talking about what he is talking about, I disagree about that too

humans have a propensity to act like we act, including sharing, caring and selflessly giving to members of our social group, but also just as easily kill those fuckers in the tribe across the river and take their food.

so?

the term "morality" is necessary to describe why people don't kill the other tribe across the river.

not really

you could just say the actual reason they don't in that case

the river tribe are many and strong, or we have enough food, we have no reason to

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    God does not exist
    you are all delusional
    tact can fuck itself

Well sarks, I guess you have to ask yourself, "Would I say this in real life?" If you would, then good for you, but you'd eventually get punched. Tact has its place. But I understand that right now you've just come out of your atheist shell so to speak so you're all full of fire and brimstone like a newly converted baptist.

Ludious on
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Limericks > Haiku

I once knew a man named the crawler
    Who'd show you his dick for a dollar
    When the word went around
    I went to his town
    I'd never seen anything smaller!

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Inqui; always sad
    Eternally man of straw
    When will the pain end?

Silas Brown on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'd support compulsory sonnet-writing as well. The big thing is that everyone should have to use the same form.

Sonnet is funnier because then a mod can infract anyone who breaks iambic pentameter.

Inquisitor on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Leitner wrote: »
    Transgender chat does not seem like an ever present worry, I can't remember the last time we had it.

it doesn't happen often now that we don't have m(any?) transgender posters

but oh man

it is a bad chat

IT IT IT

_J_ being a Lawful Evil robot doesn't make the whole [chat] bad

TL DR on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    My dad is trying to get me to read the god delusion. I will have to at some point I guess.

What's your take, then?

That without a divine lawgiver there can be no natural right or wrong, which is what I define morals as

I don't have a problem with this, as I think that "natural law" and "natural rights" are pretty fuzzy poorly-conceived ideas.

I mean, I do think there's a place in thought for the concepts, but I don't think they're as important as a lot of people claim they are.

However, I think that human well-being (see above!) requires us to have morals, laws, and rights; so we need to make sure we have these things and that they make sense even in the absence of a divine command.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    there once was a man named Renee
    who pondered the problem all day
    with a quick cogito
    he thought that he'd know
    ontological truth in this way

Evil Multifarious on
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Homemade granola is the best thing.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Podly wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    @Feral: I, as someone opposed to humanism, am interested in hearing your definition of "humanism."

Hmm.

I have problems coming up with operant definitions of philosophical terms, but I'll give it a shot.

Humanism is the notion that human well-being is the most important moral value, and that humans are capable of crafting a system of ethics that maximizes that value (in a utilitarian sense).

I'm a little unhappy with that definition, because it leaves out other species; I wish there were a term that meant "human well-being is the most important moral value, but other species also have value, and we should endeavor to maximize our well-being in ways that do not reduce the well-being of other species when possible" but I can't think of one.

That's general utilitarianism, and also conflates homo-sapiens with humans, which isn't necessarily the case.

Fair enough on both counts.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Smashing Pumpkins Say
    God is empty just like me
    atheism now

Oh god it's combining two awful things into one.
    I do not like the smashing pumpkins

I know I'm like 10 pages behind, but Jesus Christ Inqui. You have bad taste, eh? =P

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Limericks > Haiku

there once was a God from Nantucket
    whose creation was so bad He said "fuck it"
    He created a flood,
    drowned his mans in the mud
    and his cosmic dick, they did suck it

skippydumptruck on
    edited March 2010
    From my perspective, I generally agree with Peter Singer's ethics, even though I think he focuses too much on the elimination of suffering and too little on the maximizing of happiness.

Feral on

• SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    There once was a poster named Pods
    With humanists he was truly at odds
    then one day when ticked
    he posted his dicks
    and soon was infracted by mods

Senjutsu on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    To be fair to Inqui, Billy Corgan is a fuckstick.

JustinSane07 on
  • Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'd support compulsory sonnet-writing as well. The big thing is that everyone should have to use the same form.

Sonnet is funnier because then a mod can infract anyone who breaks iambic pentameter.

That's hard enough that most people wouldn't bother, though. It's difficult enough to work an argument about the Catholic church into a simple ABAB or ABBA scheme.

Aroused Bull on
    edited March 2010

What's your take, then?

It's been awhile since I read it, but I want to say that you and Dawkins might be talking apples and oranges. Evolution here would describe the origins of human propensity to act in a way that we would call moral, or at least altruistic.

Yeah, I know

I'm arguing a minor point, that I think the terms of morality, good and evil are unecessary

humans have a propensity to act like we act, including sharing, caring and selflessly giving to members of our social group, but also just as easily kill those fuckers in the tribe across the river and take their food.

so?

the term "morality" is necessary to describe why people don't kill the other tribe across the river.

not really

the river tribe are many and strong, or we have enough food, we have no reason to

so are you arguing that people don't act certain ways due to their moral systems? because that's flat out wrong.

it's entirely possible that the trible doesn't attack because they think killing is wrong, for whatever reason. this doesn't require absolutes, Gods, objective morality, or anything. but it does need the word "morality" to describe it.

Evil Multifarious on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

Fuck yes it is. What's your recipe? I use this one.

TL DR on
  • JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    James wrote: »
    Gah I am so bad at dealing with harassment (flier raids, drops, nukes, etc) in SC2.

Did you play the first game?

Barely.

That explains it.

James on
    edited March 2010
    I don't like haikus

I don't get the meter

anyway

teach me to write sonnets

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
    edited March 2010
    From my perspective, I generally agree with Peter Singer's ethics, even though I think he focuses too much on the elimination of suffering and too little on the maximizing of happiness.

do you agree that we should kill retarded babies, then?

Evil Multifarious on
    edited March 2010

Read this as "Pete Seeger's ethics"

Senjutsu on
    edited March 2010

generally

Edit: I realized this might be misconstrued. I generally agree with Peter Singer's ethics where infanticide is one of the conclusions that I don't totally agree with. I don't generally agree that we should kill retarded babies.

Feral on

• JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ryadic wrote: »
    Smashing Pumpkins Say
    God is empty just like me
    atheism now

Oh god it's combining two awful things into one.
    I do not like the smashing pumpkins

I know I'm like 10 pages behind, but Jesus Christ Inqui. You have bad taste, eh? =P

He never used to be a little boy.

JebusUD on
    I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
    edited March 2010

What's your take, then?

I don't have a problem with this, as I think that "natural law" and "natural rights" are pretty fuzzy poorly-conceived ideas.

I mean, I do think there's a place in thought for the concepts, but I don't think they're as important as a lot of people claim they are.

However, I think that human well-being (see above!) requires us to have morals, laws, and rights; so we need to make sure we have these things and that they make sense even in the absence of a divine command.

I agree mostly

rule systems that one follows just because they are rules are a necessity in any society large enough to be called a society

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
    edited March 2010

generally

i'm just ascertaining the boundaries of your general agreement, here.

Evil Multifarious on
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You guys suck at metre. Limericks are composed in ampicrachs (- ' -) or anaepests (- - ')

GOD

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I don't like haikus

I don't get the meter

anyway

baDA baDA baDA baDA baDA

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    edited March 2010

What's your take, then?

Yeah, I know

so?

not really

so are you arguing that people don't act certain ways due to their moral systems? because that's flat out wrong.

it's entirely possible that the trible doesn't attack because they think killing is wrong, for whatever reason. this doesn't require absolutes, Gods, objective morality, or anything. but it does need the word "morality" to describe it.

Good point.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
    edited March 2010
    I'm lazy so I break metre to make crappy jokes

Senjutsu on
    edited March 2010
    There once was a poster named Pods
    With humanists he was truly at odds
    then one day when ticked
    he posted his dicks
    and soon was infracted by mods

!

there once was a poster named Sarks
    who loved quasars and planets and quarks
    he bought a big 'scope
    his bank account, broke
    and jerked off sadly to girls in the park

skippydumptruck on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You guys suck at metre. Limericks are composed in ampicrachs (- ' -) or anaepests (- - ')

GOD

he's only got a problem in one line I think he gets away with it because it's funny

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    how is human being diffeent from human

nexuscrawler on
    edited March 2010

GOD

God's cosmic dick, you can suck it?

skippydumptruck on
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ludious wrote: »
    Sarksus wrote: »
    God does not exist
    you are all delusional
    tact can fuck itself

Well sarks, I guess you have to ask yourself, "Would I say this in real life?" If you would, then good for you, but you'd eventually get punched. Tact has its place. But I understand that right now you've just come out of your atheist shell so to speak so you're all full of fire and brimstone like a newly converted baptist.

Um, have you read any of my posts? I've been an atheist for years. I used to fellate tact all the time but now I realize all I was doing was trying to sell a more easily swallowed lie instead of being honest.

Sarksus on
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

Fuck yes it is. What's your recipe? I use this one.

Been using the Breakfast Granola recipe from here recently. Normally switch it up a little with whatever stuff is on hand. It's pretty good, and fairly healthy. Usually use honey instead of apple sauce though. Mmm...

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
    edited March 2010

GOD

the three-foot lines can end in iambs

as mine did

suckaaaaa

Evil Multifarious on
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    how is human being diffeent from human

Don't be a human being. Be a human doing.

JebusUD on
    I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
    edited March 2010
    Variable wrote: »
    I don't like haikus

I don't get the meter

anyway

baDA baDA baDA baDA baDA