As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Le Monstre du [Chat]

1454648505162

Posts

  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    prem ee er?

    Senjutsu on
  • tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    Just like to point out that "kakos" technically rhymes with "loss"

    What does kakos mean, anyway?

    Because I like to think of it as the root word for 'kake' in 'bukkake.'

    It's Greek meaning "bad, evil, ugly." It's where we get the words "cacophony" and "cacodemon".

    Oh! That makes total sense! Okay!

    I still like my interpretation, though. :winky:

    it seems more apt somehow

    tapeslinger on
  • Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    So if kakos technically rhymes with loss, does that mean that the popular pronunciation of "cacophony" is actually something of a bastardization?

    Not really. Different stress, but more or less right.

    Premier kakos on
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    So if kakos technically rhymes with loss, does that mean that the popular pronunciation of "cacophony" is actually something of a bastardization?

    you're gonna have to explain to me how you'd pronounce kakos then

    Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Premier, spear was kind of a stretch

    Only if you know how rhymes work.

    Prem ee er doesn't rhyme with Speer. If you leave the emphasis on the first syllable you can sort of fudge it, though.
    I think most of us pronounce "premier" in two syllables.

    Bama on
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Feels wierd to rhyme s with z

    yeah, I'm just gonna bitch about your rhymes all day

    welcome to English phonetics 101

    Senjutsu on
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Bama wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Premier, spear was kind of a stretch

    Only if you know how rhymes work.

    Prem ee er doesn't rhyme with Speer. If you leave the emphasis on the first syllable you can sort of fudge it, though.
    I think most of us pronounce "premier" in two syllables.

    that's not really right.

    Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User
    edited March 2010
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    prem ee er?

    Premmy-er

    PREM 'e 'er

    Aroused Bull on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    So if kakos technically rhymes with loss, does that mean that the popular pronunciation of "cacophony" is actually something of a bastardization?

    how the hell do you pronounce cacophony?

    Arch on
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    What?

    I pronounce it Prim Ear

    Ludious on
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    There once was a man named Senjutsu
    Who wielded his words like jujitsu
    His limericks are tawdry
    His avatar is Laurie
    Oh fuck it I just want to kiss you.

    Silas Brown on
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    prem ee er?

    Premmy-er

    PREM 'e 'er

    that is some fucked up pronunciation island boy

    Senjutsu on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Okay, spending all weekend in bed has seriously fucked up my back.

    Thomamelas on
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Feels wierd to rhyme s with z

    yeah, I'm just gonna bitch about your rhymes all day

    welcome to English phonetics 101

    z and s are different sounds, aren't they

    like the french poison and poisson

    Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    ITT we learn that Senjutsu cannot actually speak

    Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    There once was a man named Senjutsu
    Who wielded his words like jujitsu
    His limericks are tawdry
    His avatar is Laurie
    Oh fuck it I just want to kiss you.

    :^:

    Arch on
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    there once was a poster named feral
    who liked drugs and ladies' apparel
    he got high and crossdressed
    in podly's best vest
    and changed his first name to sheryl

    skippydumptruck on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Bama wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Premier, spear was kind of a stretch

    Only if you know how rhymes work.

    Prem ee er doesn't rhyme with Speer. If you leave the emphasis on the first syllable you can sort of fudge it, though.
    I think most of us pronounce "premier" in two syllables.

    that's not really right.

    [pri-meer, -myeer, pree-meer]

    Any way two syllables.

    Inquisitor on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    So if kakos technically rhymes with loss, does that mean that the popular pronunciation of "cacophony" is actually something of a bastardization?

    you're gonna have to explain to me how you'd pronounce kakos then

    Oh, you know what? I misinterpreted "rhymes with loss" to mean "only has one syllable and that syllable rhymes with loss."

    Never mind...

    Feral on
  • BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    there once was a silly goose
    his rhyming was really loose
    at the end of the day
    what could you say?
    chuckles, he still did produce

    Bama on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    oh my skippy that was fantastic

    Arch on
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Feels wierd to rhyme s with z

    yeah, I'm just gonna bitch about your rhymes all day

    welcome to English phonetics 101

    z and s are different sounds, aren't they

    like the french poison and poisson

    z and s are different sounds in the abstract, but this is English. Sometimes s is pronounced z (as in inquisition, inquisitor, etc). Sometimes 'ough' is pronounced 'uff', sometimes 'oh'

    it's all random

    Senjutsu on
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Kakos, in greek, is KAHK oss

    In most american english dialects, Premier will be pronounced pruh MEAR or PREE MEAR

    Podly on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Podly wrote: »
    Kakos, in greek, is KAHK oss

    In most american english dialects, Premier will be pronounced pruh MEAR or PREE MEAR

    THANK you

    jeez people this wasn't difficult

    Arch on
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    ITT we learn that Senjutsu cannot actually speak

    dude English isn't even your first language

    go pay some taxes or something

    Senjutsu on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    who wants to play Go with me?

    THE ANSWER IS EVERYONE

    Evil Multifarious on
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Feels wierd to rhyme s with z

    yeah, I'm just gonna bitch about your rhymes all day

    welcome to English phonetics 101

    z and s are different sounds, aren't they

    like the french poison and poisson

    z and s are different sounds in the abstract, but this is English. Sometimes s is pronounced z (as in inquisition, inquisitor, etc). Sometimes 'ough' is pronounced 'uff', sometimes 'oh'

    it's all random

    oh you pronounce inquisitor with the z sound

    alright then

    EDIT: I just realised I do too and that was why "inquis" sounded wierd

    Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It's funny how Abd always acts the most like he knows shit when he is utterly wrong.

    Which I guess is all the time.

    Inquisitor on
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    oh my skippy that was fantastic

    :D

    skippydumptruck on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    who wants to play Go with me?

    THE ANSWER IS EVERYONE

    I do

    but not while I'm at work

    BECAUSE I'M TOO BUSY CLICKING CHECKBOXES IN FORMS

    Feral on
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    who wants to play Go with me?

    THE ANSWER IS EVERYONE

    I do

    but not while I'm at work

    Silas Brown on
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    There once was a man named Thanatos
    His belly as big as Galapagos
    He hates all authority
    Especially the local P.D.
    And he loves turkey and bacon heros

    Ludious on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    who wants to play Go with me?

    THE ANSWER IS EVERYONE

    I do

    but not while I'm at work

    BECAUSE I'M TOO BUSY CLICKING CHECKBOXES IN FORMS

    i would like to clarify that it is, in fact, a turn-by-turn kind of thing

    not an instanced game like yahoo

    so one may perform a move and then wait a good long time before performing another

    Evil Multifarious on
  • Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    There once was a man named Arch
    Who ate only veggies and starch
    So I dropped my drawers
    And he got on all fours
    Down his throat, my meat will march.

    Premier kakos on
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Pronunciation rule of thumb for English:

    Does it have some letters in it?

    Yeah those letters aren't pronounced how you would think.

    Senjutsu on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    who wants to play Go with me?

    THE ANSWER IS EVERYONE

    I do

    but not while I'm at work

    BECAUSE I'M TOO BUSY CLICKING CHECKBOXES IN FORMS

    i would like to clarify that it is, in fact, a turn-by-turn kind of thing

    not an instanced game like yahoo

    so one may perform a move and then wait a good long time before performing another

    oooh

    Feral on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    There once was a man named Arch
    Who ate only veggies and starch
    So I dropped my drawers
    And he got on all fours
    Down his throat, my meat will march.

    i laughed

    Arch on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Pronunciation rule of thumb for English:

    Does it have some letters in it?

    Yeah those letters aren't pronounced how you would think.

    How do you know if an English speaker's pronunciation is wrong?

    If his lips are moving.

    Feral on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Pronunciation rule of thumb for English:

    Does it have some letters in it?

    Yeah those letters aren't pronounced how you would think.

    examples:

    pronunCIAtion, pronunciaTION, thumB

    Evil Multifarious on
  • HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Pronunciation rule of thumb for English:

    Does it have some letters in it?

    Yeah those letters aren't pronounced how you would think.

    It's like French! :o

    Haphazard on
This discussion has been closed.