As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Overlooked classics

• truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    BTP wrote: »
    Usually this thread has what I'd consider a fairly common game by the third post, I'm very impressed so far.

I have two suggestions, both with metal in the title.

Metal Storm: Pretty much the first game to really use gravity well on the NES. It's an incredible experience.

Metal Clash: The best lightgun game ever made.

I do believe you meant to say "Metal Combat: Falcon's Revenge" is the the sequel to the game "Battle Clash". Both are awesome, but Metal Combat definitely took it up a notch. I wish the series would continue on Wii.

(SPOILER WARNING, although this is a 1993 light gun game here, so....)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jz2mSjz5ip8&feature=related

Battle Clash being one of my favorite memories of the SNES and not knowing this ever existed makes me sad. But whatever! now I just have to buy a copy.

Also I owned and played the hell out of Stellar 7 also.

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • The Grey GOATThe Grey GOAT Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    warmaker wrote: »
    Dixon wrote: »
    Dyscord wrote: »
    Rock_N%27_Roll_Racing_Cover.jpg

Sure, it's just RC pro am with guns and a soundtrack featuring Sabbath, Steppenwolf and Deep Purple

Why downplay it?

That is absolutely enough reason

This game is the greatest game ever. I used to have it as a kid, however like 2 years ago I fixed this ladies computer across the street and as payment she said I could either have $40 or her sons old video games.

I took the video games and ended up with a snes with 3 controllers about 20 games including Rock 'n Roll racing...My favorite racer was like hawkman or some shit. He was clad in all metal.

Also I have both Tomba 1 and 2 in my room and my dad has a PS3 I should check if they work

That game was so friggen epic. I used to regularly beat the crap out of my friends in 4 player matches all the time back in Grade school. What an awesome classic racer.

"Olaf scores a first place knockout!!!!"

"Jake finishes second."

"Grinder gets a weak third."

"Rip is in another time zone!."

I loved hearing that at the end of every race.

The Grey GOAT on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." -HST
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I won clash at demonhead from a friend when I was like 13 years old in an arm wrestling contest. True story.

EDIT: Had I lost, I would have also lost Metroid.

TheSonicRetard on
  • The Grey GOATThe Grey GOAT Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Here are some good ones:

Vagrantstorybox.jpgEinhander.JPGRocket-knight-adventure.jpg
    Power_Stone_2_J_Cover.jpgKid_Chameleon_Coverart.png256px-

The Grey GOAT on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." -HST
  • nowayman xynowayman xy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    warsong-2.png

Warsong (aka Langrisser) Best Sjrpg ever released in the US. A close second is Final Fantasy Tactics. While the Shining Force series is the best known strategy rpg game for the Genesis this game fully blows that entire series out of the water.

It's good enough that I was able to play/enjoy it fifteen or so years later (yeah, I'm old).

The second game in the series:
    cover_l.jpg

Langrisser 2 is twice as good. Unfortunately, it was never released in the US.

Edit: I new to the site and I haven't looked up how large is too large for pictures, so I spoilered them.

nowayman xy on
    BF4: nowaymanblue
  • 4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    He's cupping a boob omg.

Seriously nobody shares my love for Twisted Tales of Spike McFang?

4rch3nemy on
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    warsong-2.png

Warsong (aka Langrisser) Best Sjrpg ever released in the US. A close second is Final Fantasy Tactics. While the Shining Force series is the best known strategy rpg game for the Genesis this game fully blows that entire series out of the water.

It's good enough that I was able to play/enjoy it fifteen or so years later (yeah, I'm old).

cover_l.jpg

Edit: I new to the site and I haven't looked up how large is too large for pictures, so I spoilered them.

No wonder, if it has a panty shot ON THE COVER.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Cherrn wrote: »
    Ascendancy_Coverart.png

One of the few 4X games I've ever been able to get into. Awesome game with a huge tech tree, ability to create your own ships and a wide variety of weird races with extremely surreal lore. Also, fantastic soundtrack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7kpzbAj6zQ

This dude knows what's up. I played the shit out of the demo back in the day from PC Gamer. Trying to get as far as I could in the.... 1000 years? they gave you.

Hell, I actually got the Gaea's Naval victory, where you make peace with every other species and have every other species make peace with each other, WITHOUT leaving your home planet (maybe home system). Helps to play the telepaths that start with the ability to talk to every other species.

A lot of these Overlooked games I've seen reviewed and even fully exploited (everything's laid out, maps of every area, story bits, character information) in old (WAAAAY old) issues of Nintendo Power (like Spike McFang).

Can't really think of any that are overlooked though.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Really, those old issues of nintendo power are the overlooked classics. It's like nintendo didn't realize "hey this thing really makes more sense as a promo rag exclusively" until they had been paying to publish it for about five years.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Arivia wrote: »
    warsong-2.png

cover_l.jpg

The character designer is Satoshi Urushihara, it's what he does.

We did get three of the Growlanser games at least(only two of them being any good), so there's also those.

Warsong is still really good. The Genesis version of Langrisser II did get a fan translation a while back.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    NOLF2 and NOLF should get huge shout-outs for wonderful 60s camp and an actual strong female lead (NOLF2 also had one of the best female villains ever put in a video game) that didn't resort to LOLTITS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny2scpc_N5w

Robman on
  • boredatworkboredatwork Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    warsong-2.png

cover_l.jpg

This is the only game I ever considered stealing. I would have gotten away with it too if my mom hadn't caught me. How did she know!? :cry:

boredatwork on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Dyscord wrote: »
    Really, those old issues of nintendo power are the overlooked classics. It's like nintendo didn't realize "hey this thing really makes more sense as a promo rag exclusively" until they had been paying to publish it for about five years.

Yeah. And some of the covers were awesome too.
    NP022.jpg

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Robman wrote: »
    NOLF2 and NOLF should get huge shout-outs for wonderful 60s camp and an actual strong female lead (NOLF2 also had one of the best female villains ever put in a video game) that didn't resort to LOLTITS

Seconded. God, I love those games. The enemy banter, that one henchman who would always look straight into the camera.. pure gold.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    warsong-2.png

cover_l.jpg

That is the most anime cover art that I have ever seen.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • nowayman xynowayman xy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    warsong-2.png

cover_l.jpg

The character designer is Satoshi Urushihara, it's what he does.

We did get three of the Growlanser games at least(only two of them being any good), so there's also those.

Warsong is still really good. The Genesis version of Langrisser II did get a fan translation a while back.

Yeah, I just got through playing Langrisser 2. This is my first day posting on this site (long time lurker) so I didn't mention it because I haven't read through the faq concerning whether it's kosher to discuss emulation.

nowayman xy on
    BF4: nowaymanblue
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    33axvfc.jpg

1027.jpeg

2z8ceit.jpg

Evil_Genius_Coverart.png

I loved each of these games so much

So much

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Rescue on Fractalus! is a game that few people have ever played. Which is a shame, because it's wicked fun even all these years later, and was damned impressive on the Atari computer system it was made on.

2h3of1g.jpg

tafx9t.jpg

It was also one of the God Damned most frightening games ever.
    312i9td.gif

I... I admit it... I still jump, even today, when I play this game. The tension is still there. Is that a pilot? Did I just see a flash of gr-- OH GOD!

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It wasn't exactly a classic but Haven: Call of the king was a pretty great platformer/racer/third person shooter/everything else.

Haven_Call_of_the_King.jpg

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Xeno idXeno id Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Gentlemen, for your consideration I present to you.....
    Story:
    The game's opening cinematic shows a spaceship crashing onto a mining colony. The ship's occupant dies shortly after the crash. The space-traveler's mind is to be transplanted into cyborg body and his memory erased so that he can be put to work. The memory wipe fails and the player, as the unwilling cyborg, must escape.

1-2 Player Co-op

The wiki sucks so here's my explanation.

Cyborg Justice is a side scrolling fighter that allows you to build and equip your custom cyborg with various deadly appendages from Buzz saw arms to blaster arms. Legs can be changed for a fast style or a more defensive style. The same applies to the chest type.

This game rules because of it's variety of ways you can build your own cyborg. Right from the start you select:

Body Type
    Leg Type
    Arm Type

There's even a testing room when you're done designing your cyborg to test their moves and abilities.

Depending on which one of these you mix and match you'll get a different cyborg each time. What makes it so awesome is the fact that when you're fighting other cyborgs you can rip off their parts and replace your own with theirs.

So if you choose the buzz saw arm (pictured above) but decide you don't like that fighting style you can grab one of your random opponents and rip their arm off and attach it to yourself. The same goes with the legs. These makes the game play VERY dynamic and allows for the player to build a cyborg that suites their own style.

Xeno id on
    f52ff.png
  • Phoenix1985Phoenix1985 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    constructor-pc.jpg

Also known as one of the hardest ever games I ever played. Even on easy. The enemy was just usually too effin quick, especially if you ever bothered with going past the point where you let them build tier 3 houses.

Phoenix1985 on
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It wasn't exactly a classic but Haven: Call of the king was a pretty great platformer/racer/third person shooter/everything else.

Haven_Call_of_the_King.jpg

I hated this game. :x

I should say I enjoyed the game, but the ending was so sucky and such a non-ending that it made me mad. I can only think they were leaving it open for a sequel...but the game sold horribly and a sequel was never made. Grrr.... :x

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • DaSniper91DaSniper91 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    4rch3nemy wrote: »
    588814_47190_front.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btBkT7x2qJk

Wow. This game was so good. I hope it counts as overlooked.

Loved this game.

DaSniper91 on
  • Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Cherrn wrote: »
    Ascendancy_Coverart.png

One of the few 4X games I've ever been able to get into. Awesome game with a huge tech tree, ability to create your own ships and a wide variety of weird races with extremely surreal lore. Also, fantastic soundtrack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7kpzbAj6zQ

I love that game. Hell, back in the day I even had a website for it.

The soundtrack was fantastic too.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Xeno id wrote: »
    Gentlemen, for your consideration I present to you.....
    Story:
    The game's opening cinematic shows a spaceship crashing onto a mining colony. The ship's occupant dies shortly after the crash. The space-traveler's mind is to be transplanted into cyborg body and his memory erased so that he can be put to work. The memory wipe fails and the player, as the unwilling cyborg, must escape.

1-2 Player Co-op

The wiki sucks so here's my explanation.

Cyborg Justice is a side scrolling fighter that allows you to build and equip your custom cyborg with various deadly appendages from Buzz saw arms to blaster arms. Legs can be changed for a fast style or a more defensive style. The same applies to the chest type.

This game rules because of it's variety of ways you can build your own cyborg. Right from the start you select:

Body Type
    Leg Type
    Arm Type

There's even a testing room when you're done designing your cyborg to test their moves and abilities.

Depending on which one of these you mix and match you'll get a different cyborg each time. What makes it so awesome is the fact that when you're fighting other cyborgs you can rip off their parts and replace your own with theirs.

So if you choose the buzz saw arm (pictured above) but decide you don't like that fighting style you can grab one of your random opponents and rip their arm off and attach it to yourself. The same goes with the legs. These makes the game play VERY dynamic and allows for the player to build a cyborg that suites their own style.

That game was so fucking awesome.

My cousin has it and when we played it we had no idea what was going on.

I also got ripped in half.

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    remember the nintendo snes mouse?

well yea, loved it with

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOiisvEuRt8

with moonwalking

also mouse based

jurassic park

this game had the worst mouse support, but was so fun

Barcardi on
  • BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Dac Vin wrote: »
    strife.jpg

Sometimes I wonder if I am the only one out there who played this little gem. In a way it resemble a Deus Ex prototype, what with it being a FPS with a mix of RPG elements, with an actual story, augments, some shops here and there, and multiple endings.

Unfortunately that game still used the aging Doom engine and came out the same year as Duke Nukem 3D and Quake. Obscurity ensued.

i loved that game, loved it. i didnt know there was multiple endings till two years ago, then i had to find a machine to play it on again. still a fun game.

Barcardi on
  • Xeno idXeno id Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    For your consideration, another overlooked classic...
    Rocket Knight's Adventure

768829-rocket_knight_adventures_front_large.jpg

Rocket_Knight_Adventures.png

Gameplay
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6PAkzY--ck&feature=related
    Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket_Knight_Adventures

About Rocket Knight's Adventure

1-Player / Sega Genesis only

"Rocket Knight Adventures is a 16-bit generation side scrolling platformer produced and released in 1993 by Konami for the Mega Drive/Genesis console, designed by Nobuya Nakazato, designer of several titles in the Contra series such as The Alien Wars, Hard Corps and Shattered Soldier. Its protagonist is Sparkster, an opossum knight who fights an army of robots and pigs, many of whom are piloting various mechanical vehicles. Sparkster is armed with a sword that can project energy over a short distance and a rocket pack that allows him to fly."

My impressions:

Rocket Knight's Adventure is one of those games that when it came out mesmerized you by it's speed and colorful graphics. Much like Sonic the gameplay was about speed and quick decisions. The games heavy use of background animation helped it stand apart from other titles of the same genre. When playing this game it was remarkably clear how much work went into this game. From the colorful sprites to the visually stunning animated back drops this game was destined to be a classic. Unfortunately at the time the world was to busy with Sonic and rightfully so.

If you get the opportunity to play this magnificent classic I highly recommend it. Also if you can find ito n the cheap I'm sure it will fetch a nice price from a collector.

I never finished this game but I swear one day I will.

Xeno id on
    f52ff.png
  • DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Rocket Knight was amazing

Here's another one I forgot about:

Zeliard

Sort of a more hardcore Zelda II style adventure, full of really oldschool charm and those quirks you don't tend to find in games much any longer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCBFKESELEE&feature=related

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Rocket Knight is being remade for XBLA right?

Ziggymon on
  • DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Also, to whoever mentioned Rescue on Fractalus, thank you, I was trying to remember the name of that game for such a long time.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Visti wrote: »
    Robman wrote: »

Seconded. God, I love those games. The enemy banter, that one henchman who would always look straight into the camera.. pure gold.

Such a shame Monolith moved on to make FEAR and FEAR 2 rather than making NOLF 3 or SHOGO:MAD 2

Waka Laka on
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Xeno id wrote: »
    For your consideration, another overlooked classic...
    Rocket Knight's Adventure
    768829-rocket_knight_adventures_front_large.jpg

Rocket_Knight_Adventures.png

Gameplay
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6PAkzY--ck&feature=related
    Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket_Knight_Adventures

About Rocket Knight's Adventure

1-Player / Sega Genesis only

"Rocket Knight Adventures is a 16-bit generation side scrolling platformer produced and released in 1993 by Konami for the Mega Drive/Genesis console, designed by Nobuya Nakazato, designer of several titles in the Contra series such as The Alien Wars, Hard Corps and Shattered Soldier. Its protagonist is Sparkster, an opossum knight who fights an army of robots and pigs, many of whom are piloting various mechanical vehicles. Sparkster is armed with a sword that can project energy over a short distance and a rocket pack that allows him to fly."

My impressions:

Rocket Knight's Adventure is one of those games that when it came out mesmerized you by it's speed and colorful graphics. Much like Sonic the gameplay was about speed and quick decisions. The games heavy use of background animation helped it stand apart from other titles of the same genre. When playing this game it was remarkably clear how much work went into this game. From the colorful sprites to the visually stunning animated back drops this game was destined to be a classic. Unfortunately at the time the world was to busy with Sonic and rightfully so.

If you get the opportunity to play this magnificent classic I highly recommend it. Also if you can find ito n the cheap I'm sure it will fetch a nice price from a collector.

I never finished this game but I swear one day I will.

This game is great for those who like collecting too. You can get complete copies for about $10. If you're a loser without a Genesis, the SNES version of the sequel, Sparkster, is also great. Avoid the Genesis version of the sequel like the plague though

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Oh man that Cyborg game for Genesis was awesome. As was Future Cop, it came with a bunch of stickers!

BlindPsychic on
  • 4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I love busting this game out as often as I possibly can:

haunting-starring-polterguy-cover.jpg

4rch3nemy on
  • PasteePastee Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Kiss: Psycho Circus - The Nightmare Child.

Published by Gathering of Developers and using the Lithtech engine from Monolith.

Written by a spin-off of Ion Storm.

Based on Todd McFarlane's comic book series.

Came out in 2K. I don't know about the console ports, but the PC version rocked my socks.

And don't even pretend you played it.... cause I know you're lying! :P

Pastee on
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    2 RTS that I really enjoyed but never seemed to catch on:
    2wrltg6.jpg

j0us1t.jpg

Dark Reign was eventually ruined by a patch that caused horrible input lag online.
    Netstorm was just too obscure and people stopped playing it fairly quickly except for a small group that was probably one of the worst online communities ever. The fact that your account gained levels and access to buildings the more you played didn't exactly help either.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Oh, Netstorm! Wow...

I still throw it on every now and then. I seem to recall they eventually let you download it for free.

Tamin on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Pastee wrote: »
    Kiss: Psycho Circus - The Nightmare Child.

Published by Gathering of Developers and using the Lithtech engine from Monolith.

Written by a spin-off of Ion Storm.

Based on Todd McFarlane's comic book series.

Came out in 2K. I don't know about the console ports, but the PC version rocked my socks.

And don't even pretend you played it.... cause I know you're lying! :P

I remember reading a preview of that, thinking it pretty much sounded like DOOM but with Kiss. Looking at some videos on Youtube, it looks a lot like Hexen 2.

With Kiss.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Machines_Coverart.png

Was this widely played? It was fair.

Speaking of the SNES mouse, the [A]D&D game: Eye of the Beholder supported it.

xenocide.jpg

Xenocide. No, not Card's. Excellent game.

hoverblade.jpg

Evidently, exceptionally hard. Another of my brother's.

Tamin on