As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Final Fantasy] - Where strange fantasy jargon and Leona Lewis collide.

Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
edited March 2010 in Games and Technology
Welcome to the new Final Fantasy thread!

This thread is dedicated to all things Final Fantasy, from the 8-bit classics to the current and upcoming HD entries. We'll also talk about a variety of ports, spin-offs, and the occasional cameo titles such as Kingdom Hearts or those weird Japanese board game titles*.

* We won't be talking about the weird Japanese board game titles.

The bulk of this thread will probably be dedicated to the recently released...
final-fantasy-xiii.jpg

Tips & Tricks For Final Fantasy XIII
(Brought to you by Arivia with edits by yours truly and contributions from damn near half the thread.)

Oh God Oh God The Crystarium

Stop. Chill. You cannot screw this up. You cannot put points in wrong and end up with totally useless characters. By the end of most chapters, you will have enough points to max out most Crystarium levels for all of your characters as long as you don't run around 90% of the enemies. Just put points in. That felt good, didn't it? Yes it did. Now get your hands out of Lightning's shorts, you perv.

If you're having trouble selecting crystals at a branch, try using the d-pad instead of the joystick while holding X/A.

What's A Role Level Do?

Role Levels grant a substantial bonus to all party members when that character is using that role.

Respectively, those bonuses are:

Commando: Damage Bonus
Ravager: Chain Bonus
Sentinel: Damage Reduction
Medic: Healing Bonus
Synergist: Longer Effects
Saboteur: Increased Effect Chance

Individually, these bonuses may appear very small (one to five percent per crystal) but they add up in the end.

Money Money Money, Always Money

Unlike other FF games, you will not be raking in the gil. Most enemies don't even drop any! However, you don't need it as much - up until at least Chapter 9, you'll be fine spending no money in the stores and just living off of drops and treasure spheres.

Any materials you have that offer only 1 EXP (see below) can be sold for pure profit.

Here's a list of sellable items, their values, and what they drop from:
Credit Chip - 500g - Various Human Guards (Rarity Varies)
Incentive Chip - 2,500g - Various Human Guards (Rarity Varies)
Moonblossom Seed - 6,000g - Bandersnatch/Jabberwocky (Common Drop)
Cactuar Doll - 12,000g - Cactuar (Common Drop)
Perfume - 12,500g - Sanctum Inquisitrix/Sacrifice (Rare/Common Drop)
Starblossom Seed - 13,000g - Bandersnatch/Jabberwocky (Rare Drop)
Gold Dust - 15,000g - Smallest Turtle (Common Drop)
Moogle Puppet - 18,000g - Chocobo Dig
Tonberry Figurine - 28,500g - Mission 41
Plush Chocobo - 35,000g - Chocobo Dig
Gold Nugget - 60,000g - Chocobo Dig
Platinum Ingot - 150,000g - Bigger Turtles (Common Drop)

If you're absolutely stretched for money, the best place to grind mid-game is in Chapter 9, in the Crew Corridors of the Palamecia. Hard enemies, but you'll rake in the Chips. Return to the External Berths (which you can also clear for CP) to reset all enemies in the Crew Corridors.

A Not-So-Short Introduction To Upgrading

Upgrading consists of applying materials to items. Each material grants a specific amount of EXP; once an item has enough EXP it will gain a level and become stronger.

Ultimately, once an item reaches a level that shows up as a star you can apply an expensive catalyst to make it even more powerful, but that's post-game/gamefaqs stuff.

In general, you want to apply an organic material or materials to drive the EXP modifier up to the cap of x3, then apply a single batch of a lot of one single mechanical component to actually get a large amount of EXP.

Here's a list of weapons and their final stats so you can choose your upgrades accordingly:
The two numbers at the end represent max str/max mag for that weapon max level. All 2nd tier take Trapezohedron to upgrade to Tier 3. Tier 3 all max out at lvl 100.

Lightning

Blazefire Saber (max lvl 26) + Pervoskite -> Flamberge (max lvl 61) -> Omega Weapon 620/620

Axis Blade (max lvl 21) +Adamantite -> Enkindler (max lvl 41) -> Omega Weapon 315/315 + ATB Charge (like haste)

Edged Carbine (max lvl 26) + Pervoskite -> Razor Carbine (max lvl 61) -> Omega Weapon 210/723

Lifesaber (max lvl 21) + Scarleitte -> Peacemaker (max lvl 41) -> Omega Weapon 520/520 + Improved Raise

Gladius (max lvl 26) + Uraninite -> Helter Skelter (max lvl 61) -> Omega Weapon 723/210

Organyx (max lvl 26) + Cobaltite -> Apocalypse (max lvl 61) -> Omega Weapon 750/750 + Leadenstrike (slow attack speed)

Hauteclaire (max lvl 26) + Uraninite -> Durandal (max lvl 61) -> Omega Weapon 711/711 + Stagger Lock (that character can't cause a stagger, others still can)

Lionheart (max lvl 21) + Scarletite -> Ultima Weapon (max lvl 41) -> Omega Weapon 508/508 + Quick Stagger (has a chance to instantly cause Stagger while the Stagger Gauge is nearly full)

Sazh

Vega 42's (max lvl 21) + Pervoskite -> Altairs (max lvl 41) -> Total Eclipses 812/822

Spica Defender's (max lvl 21) + Scarleitite -> Sirius Sidearms (max lvl 41) -> Total Eclipses 713/911 + Augment Maintenance (Buffs last longer)

Deneb Duellers (max lvl 26) + Pervoskite -> Canopus AMPs (max lvl 61) -> Total Eclipses 608/1125

Rigels (max lvl 26) + Uranitite - > Polaris Specials (max lvl 61) -> Total Eclipses 1006/1014 + Stagger Lock (this character can't cause stagger)

Aldebarans (max lvl 26) + Cobaltite -> Sedalmeliks (max lvl 61) -> Total Eclipses 0/1150 + leadenstrike (slow attack speed)

Pleiades Hi-Powers (max lvl 26) + Pervoskite -> Hyades Magnums (max lvl 61) -> Total Eclipses 1150/0 Paper Tiger (I think low hp?)

Antares Deluxes (max lvl 21) + Urantite -> Fomalhaut Elites (max lvl 41) -> Total Eclipses 610/616 + Chain Boost (quicker chains)

Procyons (max lvl 21) + Dark Matter -> Betelgeuse Customs (max lvl 41) -> Total Eclipses 620/414 + stagger maintenance (longer staggers)

Snow

Wild Boar (max lvl 26) + Pervoskite -> Fatal Pride (max lvl 61) -> Save the Queen 717/717

Paladin (max lvl 21) + Scarletite -> Winged Saint (max lvl 41) -> Save the Queen 510/510 + Improved Guard (not sure what it does)

Rebel Heart (max lvl 21) + Urantite -> Warrior's Emblem (max lvl 41) -> Save the Queen 602/611 + Critical Power Surge (when critical he gets stronger)

Power Circle (max lvl 26) + Scarletite -> Battle Standard (max lvl 61) -> Save the Queen - 925/202

Feymark (max lvl 21) + Urantite -> Soul Blazer (max lvl 41) -> Save the Queen 0/1050 + Enfeeblement (negative effect not sure what)

Sacrificial Circle (max lvl 26) + Scarletite -> Indomitus (max lvl 61) -> Save the Queen 1020/1020 + Paper Tiger (I think low hp?)

Unsetting Sun (max lvl 26) + Pervoskite -> Midnight Sun (max lvl 61) -> Save the Queen 815/205 + Stagger Lock (this character can't cause staggers)

Umbra (max lvl 21) + Adamantite -> Solaris (max lvl 41) -> Save the Queen 410/620 + Improved Ward (Assists his Sentinel skills, not sure how)

Hope

Airwing (max lvl 21) + Urantite -> Skycutter (max lvl 41) -> Nue 526/441 + Critical Shield (I'm assuming Protect at low HP or other status buffs)

Hawkeye (lvl 26) + Pervoskite -> Eagletalon (lvl 61) -> Nue 202/917

Otshirvani (lvl 21) + Scaretite -> Urubtusin (lvl 41) -> Nue 513/713 + Siphon Boost (helps as a Ravager)

Ninurta (lvl 26) + Pervoskite -> Jatayu (lvl 61) -> Nue 612/612

Vidofnir (lvl 21) + Scarletite -> Hresvelgr (lvl 41) -> Nue 305/712 + Defense Maintenance (increases defensive buff lengths)

Simurgh (lvl 21) + Urantite -> Tezcatlipoca (lvl 41) -> Nue 926/0 + Stifled Magic (Unsure)

Malphas (lvl 26) + Pervoskite -> Naberius (lvl 61) -> Nue 832/832 + Paper Tiger (Less hp?)

Aircanto (lvl 26) + Urantite -> Caladrius (lvl 61) -> Nue 608/608 + Stagger Lock (this character can't stagger)

Vanille

Binding Rod (lvl 26) + Pervoskite -> Hunter's Rod (lvl 61) -> Nirvana 715/216

Tigerclaw (lvl 26) + Cobaltite -> Wyrmfang (lvl 61) -> Nirvana 828/828 + Leadenstrike (slowa ttack speed)

Healer's Staff (lvl 21) + Adamantite -> Physician's Staff (lvl 41) -> Nirvana 424/424 + Improved Cure

Pearlwing Staff (lvl 26) + Pervoskite -> Brightwing Staff (lvl 61) -> Nirvana 201/912

Rod of Thorns (lvl 26) + Pervoskite -> Orochi Rod (lvl 61) -> Nirvana 709/709

Mistilteinn (lvl 21) + Scarletite -> Einye's Cane (lvl 41) -> Nirvana 403/802 + Ally KO: Power Surge (gets stronger if any ally dies)

Belladona's Wand (lvl 21) + Urantite -> Malboro Wand (lvl 41) -> Nirvana 403/807 + Improved Debuffing (makes Sab debuff last longer and easier to apply)

Heavenly Axis (lvl 26) + Urantite -> Abraxas (lvl 61) -> Nirvana 403/807 + Stagger Lock (this character can't cause stagger)

Fang

Bladed Lance (lvl 26) + Pervoskite -> Glaive (lvl 61) -> Kain's Lance 753/314

Dragoon's Lance (lvl 21) + Urantite -> Dragonhorn (lvl 41) -> Kain's Lance 962/0 + Stifled Magic

Partisan (lvl 26) + Pervoskite -> Rhomphaia (lvl 61) -> Kain's Lance 307/839

Shamanic Spear (lvl 21) + Urantite -> Heretic's Halberd (lvl 41) -> Kain's Lance 0/941 + Enfeeblement (no idea, debuff of some kind)

Punisher (lvl 21) + Scarletite -> Banescissor Spear (lvl41) -> Kain's Lance 517/731 + Stagger Charge TP (TP gain when you stagger an opponent)

Pandora's Spear (lvl21) + Scarletite -> Calamity Spear (lvl41) -> Kain's Lance 616/830 +Improved Debilitation (increases success rate of SAB spells)

Taming Pole (lvl 26) + Urantite -> Venus Gospel (lvl 61) -> Kain's Lance 921/921 + Stagger Lock (this character can't cause stagger)

Gae Bolg (lvl 21) + Scarletite -> Gungnir (lvl 41) -> Kain's Lance 642/642 + Improved Counter (Plus damage to counter)

The most effective way to upgrade an item is to use 36 Sturdy Bones, Barbed Tails or Vibrant Ooze on it to boost the item up to a 3x EXP Multiplier and then use a high EXP yield item (or items) on it. The items that will get you the most bang for your buck are:

1. Ultracompact Reactor – 40,000exp – buy for 50,000gil from R&D Depot
2. Particle Accelerator – 4,800exp – buy for 10,000gil from R&D Depot
3. Superconductor – 400exp – buy for 840 from Lenora's Garage
4. Perfect Conductor – 751exp – buy for 1,600gil from Lenora's Garage

WTF Odin Is Kicking My Ass

Before the battle, use a Fortisol and Aegisol if you can. If not, start the battle off with Lightning as MED and Hope as SYN to get some buffs up. When Odin's attacking, go COM/MED just to keep your chain bonus building. When he casts Ullr's Shield, he won't be attacking - go all out COM/RAV on the silly goose. Rinse and repeat and you'll see it through. Withstanding the initial assault is the hardest part.

The End Boss Of Chapter 9 is Also Kicking My Ass

Yeah, this guy is a bitch. Check out the spoiler for some tips.
Check your party setup first. Whoever you've chosen should be able to have at least the following Paradigms:

-Relentless Assault (RAV/RAV/COM)
-Diversity (RAV/MED/COM)
-Solidarity (COM/SEN/MED)

and one of the following

-Hero's Charge (COM/MED/SYN)
-Safe Subversion (MED/SAB/SAB)
-Evened Odds (MED/SYN/SAB)

Combat Clinic (SEN/MED/MED) might be helpful in a real emergency, and Aggression (COM/COM/RAV) is nice if you can find the space for it.

Start off in something like Hero's Charge to get buffs up, then go to town on the Pauldrons and Ailettes. They each have an elemental weakness:

Left Pauldron - Lightning
Left Ailette - Fire
Right Pauldron - Ice
Right Ailette - Water

Don't forget to use -ara spells after the stagger for splash/bonus damage!

At the beginning, you can get away by going after them with Relentless Assault; towards the end you want Diversity or Solidarity to hold up to the -aga spells he starts throwing around.

Once the ailettes/pauldrons are down, you can beat on the main body. Barthandelus can be staggered but not launched. You should generally be fine with Relentless Assault, although you'll definitely want to slip into Diversity after he spams Thanatosian Smile. When you Stagger Barthandelus, go all out, even into Aggression if you can.

After his first stagger, Barthandelus enters his main phase for most of the fight. Most of his attacks are the same as before, but he will rear back and start channeling Destrudo. You have roughly 15 seconds before he blows your face off with it.

By the time Destrudo hits you must have everyone pretty close to full health and be in Solidarity. Ideally, the Sentinel should have Provoked and be guarding. Destrudo hits for a ton, but you'll be okay if you're in Solidarity.

Immediately after you get pounded by Destrudo, switch into Hero's Charge/Safe Subversion/Evened Odds to heal/apply buffs/apply debuffs. Once everyone's back at full health and your cocktail of statuses is up, go back to Relentless Assault.

Note that the channelling of Destrudo resets his Chain meter, so you have to pound the shit out of him between your shit gets wrecked. IF he is in Stagger when he starts channeling Destrudo, Commandos can very rarely restart the channel (he'll rear back and pause for a second.) It will restart, not stop, and you still need to get your ass in Solidarity fast.

If you're not getting him into Stagger between Destrudo channels, you need to retry the fight and either upgrade your strategy/Crystarium/weapons. You can grind quite easily on the mobs in the Bridge Access by just running from one end to the other.

At the very end, he may cast Doom on your party leader. Do not freak out, you have plenty of time, just stick to the plan.

The Collector Catalogue

At the beginning of Chapter 11, you'll be given the option to buy a Collector Catalogue for 100,000 gil, which increases the drop rate when equipped. Don't. You can get one quite easily later in the chapter by completing a small sidequest for no gill.

What Can I Do In Chapter 11?

After you arrive on Gran Pulse, the game opens up. As in really wide up. As in "oh hi real FF gameplay" wide up.

Here you can run into lots of big turtles that will smash your face in one shot!

As you follow the main plotline, Cie'th stones will give you hunts (sidequests) of varying difficulty. Feel free to take those on to get some extra CP, items, and gill.

However, the majority of post-game (yes, post-game: the bonus content in FFXIII happens on a file AFTER you've completed Chapter 13) content also occurs on Gran Pulse. You can't do everything now, and you shouldn't try.

If you need money during Chapter 11, going Chocobo Treasure Finding is your best bet. You can unlock rideable Chocobos by completing Mission 14.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
Fig-D on

• Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Talking of Leona Lewis how is it that she is in everything? She wins some stupid tv talent show and all of a sudden she's doing the singing to FF13 and the main song to Avatar? (which is a horrible abomination of a song)

Anyway, I'd like to take this moment to reiterate the last post in the previous thread. Fuck Odin.

Up to him I hadn't done any grinding, just spending a good chunk of todays playing of FF13 grinding up and I still haven't beaten him.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    GrimReaper wrote: »
    Talking of Leona Lewis how is it that she is in everything? She wins some stupid tv talent show and all of a sudden she's doing the singing to FF13 and the main song to Avatar? (which is a horrible abomination of a song)

just posting to lime this so hard.

also if i watch FF13 on youtube will i be missing much y/n

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Anyway, I'd like to take this moment to reiterate the last post in the previous thread. Fuck Odin.

Up to him I hadn't done any grinding, just spending a good chunk of todays playing of FF13 grinding up and I still haven't beaten him.

I dunno how she ended up doing everything to be honest. Her marketing people must be some of the best in the business.

Also I share you're feelings on Odin. In fact, I basically came in and made this new OP while Prof is out so that we could bitch about that fight some more :P .

Here's what I did for Odin: I used both of the shroud things (the "spray tan" like things that you access by holding L1 outside of battle and grant bonuses for the next fight) and started the fight in COM/RAV. I would beat on him a bit and switch to MED/MED when I needed healing. Odin seems to like chain bonuses and healing Hope as Lightning. Using the buff sprays before battle means that you don't have to shift Hope into Synergist at any time during the fight.

ALSO:

If anyone has any opinions on where they'd like the OP taken, I'm open to suggestions.

Would you like a more general OP highlighting bits an pieces of the whole series? Or perhaps a XIII centric OP with just a blurb at the top about other titles?

Fig-D on
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Yes because half the reason to play the game is the gameplay/battle system. The other half being the graphics (Youtube won't be a good example of what you see)

I'm sure as hell not playing for the story or characters at this point.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Given that the point of the game is the combat & character building, I'm going to go with yes.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

The Eidolon fights are gimmicky and the trick to winning them depends on the character's main role. You don't necessarily win just by dishing out damage on the Eidolon, you have to "impress" the Eidolon by using key abilities. I forget what the trick to Odin is, but it was pretty easy to find a strat online that worked.

I kind of like the new combat system, but the shitty AI kills me. I think my favorite system was FF12, where you can set up gambits for each character. It is unfortunate that the gambit system pigeonholed people into a single role, and the new system lets you play as multiple roles very easily, but the fact that healers don't seem to like to use Esuna is just too annoying. But yeah, overall, it's an interesting development that works reasonably well. You know what doesn't work well though? The extra dose of angst. FF10's story was probably about the same level of retardedness as this one, but at least they didn't keep shoving emo in our faces with dumb cutscenes every 10 minutes. The linearity wouldn't bother me if the story wasn't so crap.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Dang it, I knew I was taking too long.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Though the story and characters are pretty good.

But yeah, I can't imagine getting any enjoyment over youtube videos.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    so Leona Lewis is the name of the person that I've been wanting to murder for the last week?

Good to know.

hatedinamerica on
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

The Eidolon fights are gimmicky and the trick to winning them depends on the character's main role. You don't necessarily win just by dishing out damage on the Eidolon, you have to "impress" the Eidolon by using key abilities. I forget what the trick to Odin is, but it was pretty easy to find a strat online that worked.

I kind of like the new combat system, but the shitty AI kills me. I think my

You think your what?
    Pata wrote: »
    Though the story and characters are pretty good.

But yeah, I can't imagine getting any enjoyment over youtube videos.

Especially since there's so much character chatter going on in between the story stuff, like when you're just running around.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Lionheart (max lvl 21) + Scarletite -> Ultima Weapon (max lvl 41) -> Omega Weapon 508/508 + Quick Stagger(fills stagger gauge quicker conflicts with gamefaqs that says instant stagger which is a synthesis from multiple item types)

I think your description is wrong. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I just tested against the same mob with lionheart and with another weapon and with the chain gauge empty casting 5 fires fills it the exact same amount. The description in game is "Allows instant staggering of enemies near their stagger threshold" seems to imply that there's a chance to stagger enemies when they are nearer to a full bar and this is different than the synthesis which is a chance to instantly stagger anyone.

Stifled Magic greatly reduces magic damage to enemies, Enfeeblement is the same for physical. Basically the weapons that have these greatly increase one stat and then on top of having 0 lower the damage more. Paper Tiger lowers HP by a lot, I'm not sure if Silk Tiger which is on the T2/3 weapons lowers it more or less.

khain on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Wait, isn't her only song the one during the credits?

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If the A.I is bad that means you're not using Libra enough.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I put some general XIII FAQ stuff in my failed abortion of an OP that can probably fit here pretty well.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    so Leona Lewis is the name of the person that I've been wanting to murder for the last week?

Good to know.
    I doubt it because you only hear that song once, at the very end of the game.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Anyone give me some guidance about how far I am along in chapter 10?
    Just got to the big open areas of the tunnels with the dancing bird things.
    Itching to get out in the open areas now.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Blackjack wrote: »

Good to know.

I heard a vocal song early on. What was that?

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Good to know.

A...different song?

I have heard rumors that Leona Lewis is not the only person capable of singing.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Should add a link to that site someone was pimping with info on where to find all the mission/hunts - makes life a lot easier wandering around in the open area.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    khain wrote: »
    Lionheart (max lvl 21) + Scarletite -> Ultima Weapon (max lvl 41) -> Omega Weapon 508/508 + Quick Stagger(fills stagger gauge quicker conflicts with gamefaqs that says instant stagger which is a synthesis from multiple item types)

I think your description is wrong. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I just tested against the same mob with lionheart and with another weapon and with the chain gauge empty casting 5 fires fills it the exact same amount. The description in game is "Allows instant staggering of enemies near their stagger threshold" seems to imply that there's a chance to stagger enemies when they are nearer to a full bar and this is different than the synthesis which is a chance to instantly stagger anyone.

I just copied the info over from the last "thread" where it was posted by Cirira. I'll go ahead and edit that.
    Arivia wrote: »
    I put some general XIII FAQ stuff in my failed abortion of an OP that can probably fit here pretty well.

I do believe that I'll be cannibalizing some of that for the OP, thank you.
    LockeCole wrote: »
    Should add a link to that site someone was pimping with info on where to find all the mission/hunts - makes life a lot easier wandering around in the open area.

If/when someone posts it I'll throw it up there.

Fig-D on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Good to know.

A...different song?

I have heard rumors that Leona Lewis is not the only person capable of singing.

From what I heard, she isn't capable of singing either. 8-)

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Good to know.

Well, that just confirms what previous hypothesis that this game has horrible music. The worst in any FF to date, I'd say.

There has only been one or two musical pieces that didn't actively enrage me, and I'm 35 hours in. Does it get worse? Please tell me it doesn't get worse.

hatedinamerica on
  • Options
    RanadielRanadiel Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Update from Spira:

Just left the Thunder Plains and entered Machalania Forest.

Whoever decided that the requirement for the Veenus Sigil should be dodging 200 consecutive lightning bolts needs die. Preferrably by being struck by lightning. Not that I'm trying to get it during my first trip through - just the mere thought of it looming on the horizon is enough to set my rage boiling.

While in the Thunder Plains I decided that this would b ea good time to get Tidus his Blitz Ace. Squaring off against a Yellow Element, I put on a Lightningstrike weapon and Lightning Proof Shield, switched to Loner Overdrive, cast Haste and Slow, and about 50 Spiral Cuts later I'd earned Blitz Ace, along with the Ally Overdrive mode. Also it turns out Tidus' affection rate is highest with Rikku - she tosses the ball to me. Yay Rikku!

After testing out my Rikku-Mage concept, I'm relatively pleased with the results so far simply using first tier spells. Lulu still does about twice as much damage as Rikku does, but Rikku is twice as fast, and despite her limited mana pool it beats the hell out of her pitiful physical attacks. She still needs a lot of work though, as she's still dangerously low in the HP/MP and defense departments. I stole a ton of Electro Marbles in the Thunder Plains however, which is allowing her to dominate in Machalania Forest whenever her Overdrive pops up - I just need to get her a better mode other than Stoic.

I'm starting to regret my build of Kimhari. I realized last night that some of his best vs All Overdrives - Fire and Aqua Breath - are 100% Magic based, and I've taken him down a Strength path. I remembered the last time I played through I took him down Lulu's path right away, which caused him to have a high magic and decimate the field whenever his Overdrive became available. Plus it would have been good to have a third mage earlier on. Oh well. He still makes a great fighter.

Ranadiel on
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Can I say one thing to you? And I say this with an unblemished record of staunch heterosexuality.

"My Hands" is not bad for what it is. It's alright.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Good to know.

Well, that just confirms what previous hypothesis that this game has horrible music. The worst in any FF to date, I'd say.

There has only been one or two musical pieces that didn't actively enrage me, and I'm 35 hours in. Does it get worse? Please tell me it doesn't get worse.
    I think if you're being actively enraged by it, it can't possibly get worse, right? :P

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So I am terrible at getting good stars on these missions. I received zero for mission two. Ouch. :(

Not that it really matters much, as the secondary rewards aren't nearly as good as the primary ones, but it still deflates me a little bit!

Edit: I'm looking at videos of how to five star these missions, and oh yeah they have spells and weapons I don't have yet. That would probably explain it. I'm fresh into Chapter 11 at the moment.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Why the hell is there such competition for starting this thread to the point where people are starting new ones 15 pages early anyway?

Adus on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Can I say one thing to you? And I say this with an unblemished record of staunch heterosexuality.

"My Hands" is not bad for what it is. It's alright.
    I agree. I mean, it's one thing to not like the style of music, but Leona Lewis is certainly talented.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited March 2010
    Snugglesworth...needed to be stopped. As long as someone did it, I didn't care who.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Adus wrote: »
    Why the hell is there such competition for starting this thread to the point where people are starting new ones 15 pages early anyway?

If you read the old thread, I screwed up on my view settings and thought the thread was done. Also, we can control your minds. It's like a Limit Break for posters.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Good to know.

Well, I haven't absolutely hated anything I've heard so far (early Ch10), but the weird jazzy music that accompanied two of the segments with Sazh and Vanille felt really out of place. The chocobo music is still cute, though. And I kind of liked the background music to chapter 9, but it got old by the end of the chapter.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Anyone give me some guidance about how far I am along in chapter 10?
    Just got to the big open areas of the tunnels with the dancing bird things.
    Itching to get out in the open areas now.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So far the battle theme is the only thing I like and even that isn't all that good. I kinda wish I could replace the soundtrack with Lost Odyssey's. I've had its boss theme stuck in my head for weeks.

Adus on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I actually really liked the jazzy bit when Sazh and Vanille were roaming around the rust graveyard area with the robots. Yeah, it felt a bit out of place, but I still liked it.

Fig-D on
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Finally made it to chapter 11 and wow. Difficulty ramped up (finally).

Was able to get the first 5 missions done and then one or 2 of the C's done. I think 6 and 8. Some of them are just brutal right now so I moved past and am scaling the tower to try and find maybe a hub or something.

How far am I from chocobo riding? Need to do some serious farming and leveling so I can grind out the stone missions. I got the catalogue leveled to its next tier and that helps but the Kaiser Behemoth mission still rapes my face and need to power up a bit.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Hahaha mission 34 is the best mission.
    Tonberry! It went down like a wuss, though, sadly. few rounds of buffs/debuffs, and it was over. He barely even got to attack.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Finally made it to chapter 11 and wow. Difficulty ramped up (finally).

Was able to get the first 5 missions done and then one or 2 of the C's done. I think 6 and 8. Some of them are just brutal right now so I moved past and am scaling the tower to try and find maybe a hub or something.

How far am I from chocobo riding? Need to do some serious farming and leveling so I can grind out the stone missions. I got the catalogue leveled to its next tier and that helps but the Kaiser Behemoth mission still rapes my face and need to power up a bit.

The Chocobo Treasure Hunt mini-game, the best place to get money, opens up when you complete mission 14! I hope I can manage to get that far. I lost to the second mission twice, and when I finally beat it I received no stars. :(

For CP farming, someone told me this:
    The robot and bomb dudes in Mah'habara (follow quest marker) 2 groups near an optional miniboss gives like 5000 CP on average, and are piss easy.

Maybe I should try those mobs before I move on with missions. I want that damn Chocobo mini-game, though, for the Gil.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Are we having a thread war? THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE.

Also, Lost Odyssey = vein boobs = :^::^:

Krathoon on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Finally sitting down to get further into this... of course I pick up RoF tomorrow so that might backfire. Damn FPS addiction, I'm supposed to be an rpg player. Damn you online consoles.

Though this is my favorite FF game so far and I have no idea what reviewers were smoking.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    JimRJimR Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Psychotic one, Chocobo riding is from #13, so you need to finish a few more.

Also, it took me 60 hours to realize it, but...

This game is a complete and utter abortion. Seriously. It distracted me, sure, and I kept thinking "Oooh, pretty!" so I kept playing, but then when I took a step back and THOUGHT about it, about the characters and story, I realized--this is the last FF game I will buy, because I want everyone at Squenix to die of scrotal/labial cancer.

There IS NO STORY. No arc. Just a bunch of obnoxious characters going in a straight line fighting.

It's like the old arcade game Kung Fu, but with emo wizards.

I am sooooo depressed by it, too.

JimR on