As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Final Fantasy] - Where strange fantasy jargon and Leona Lewis collide.

• IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Fig-D wrote: »
    I actually really liked the jazzy bit when Sazh and Vanille were roaming around the rust graveyard area with the robots. Yeah, it felt a bit out of place, but I still liked it.

Yeah, on its own, it's a perfectly respectable piece of music; it just really detracted from the mood for me.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I like how people either absolutely love this game or absolutely loathe it.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • TopiaTopia Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I have never liked a kid in a game so much. Hope. He is an amazingly built character.

Topia on
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Because I didn't get to post it in the last thread,
    Blackjack wrote: »
    jack eddy wrote: »
    New thread huh? Does it have the heart of a Hero?
    I kind of feel like all of Sahz's lines could be replaced with "I'm getting too old for these damn kids" and no one would actually notice.

Also

chocobo_final_fantasy_13.jpg

Angry chocobo chick, angrier black guy.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
    edited March 2010
    JimR wrote: »
    Psychotic one, Chocobo riding is from #13, so you need to finish a few more.

Also, it took me 60 hours to realize it, but...

This game is a complete and utter abortion. Seriously. It distracted me, sure, and I kept thinking "Oooh, pretty!" so I kept playing, but then when I took a step back and THOUGHT about it, about the characters and story, I realized--this is the last FF game I will buy, because I want everyone at Squenix to die of scrotal/labial cancer.

There IS NO STORY. No arc. Just a bunch of obnoxious characters going in a straight line fighting.

It's like the old arcade game Kung Fu, but with emo wizards.

I am sooooo depressed by it, too.

Just take a nap and have some milk, it'll be ok.

Grundlestiltskin on
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I gotta say I prefer Lost Odyssey to FFXIII.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I actually really liked the jazzy bit when Sazh and Vanille were roaming around the rust graveyard area with the robots. Yeah, it felt a bit out of place, but I still liked it.

Yeah, on its own, it's a perfectly respectable piece of music; it just really detracted from the mood for me.

I lived through "Fear and Awe in your eyes, showing you what you can't see" and FFXII.

So in comparison, this is the best soundtrack ever.

gjaustin on
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    That looks like a ideal desktop wallpaper, Grundlestiltskin. Although, I probably would not recommend using it at work.

Krathoon on
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Alright, I just got to Chapter 11. I'm grinding the King Behemoth that's a hop, skip and jump away from the first save point for 4k CP. I figure I'll do that until I max out at least one of the three primary roles for each character, and then progress through the side quests and main quests.

Does this sound like a good plan? Or is there a more efficient way?

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Man, the soundtrack is awesome, but it sucks it's not available as an album on iTunes. I'm not shelling out $80 to get each song individually. I may just order the CDs from Square-Enix's website.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
    edited March 2010
    Stilts wrote: »
    Alright, I just got to Chapter 11. I'm grinding the King Behemoth that's a hop, skip and jump away from the first save point for 4k CP. I figure I'll do that until I max out at least one of the three primary roles for each character, and then progress through the side quests and main quests.

Does this sound like a good plan? Or is there a more efficient way?

I posted a CP farming tip I was told not far above your own post.

But man, fuck Chapter 11. This place is so damn hard. I'll have to grind CP for awhile myself before I feel confident in taking down any monsters.

Dashui on
  • IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    PunkBoy wrote: »
    Man, the soundtrack is awesome, but it sucks it's not available as an album on iTunes. I'm not shelling out $80 to get each song individually. I may just order the CDs from Square-Enix's website.

Ooh, speaking of merchandise, I love those cat earrings that Serah wore. I found them on the Square-Enix store site, but they're $90!!! They're chou-kawaii but $90 for sterling silver earrings? :-/

588_2jpg

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Proven MortalProven Mortal Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Dashui wrote: »
    Finally made it to chapter 11 and wow. Difficulty ramped up (finally).

Was able to get the first 5 missions done and then one or 2 of the C's done. I think 6 and 8. Some of them are just brutal right now so I moved past and am scaling the tower to try and find maybe a hub or something.

How far am I from chocobo riding? Need to do some serious farming and leveling so I can grind out the stone missions. I got the catalogue leveled to its next tier and that helps but the Kaiser Behemoth mission still rapes my face and need to power up a bit.

The Chocobo Treasure Hunt mini-game, the best place to get money, opens up when you complete mission 14! I hope I can manage to get that far. I lost to the second mission twice, and when I finally beat it I received no stars. :(

For CP farming, someone told me this:
    The robot and bomb dudes in Mah'habara (follow quest marker) 2 groups near an optional miniboss gives like 5000 CP on average, and are piss easy.

Maybe I should try those mobs before I move on with missions. I want that damn Chocobo mini-game, though, for the Gil.

I like you can remember what I said (copypasted even?), but oddly not remember that I said it :P But yeah getting a bit more CP for some of the later 1-14 missions wont hurt.

late chapter 11 spoilers
    Why the hell is Army of One in the Ravager tree D:

Proven Mortal on
    Proven+Mortal.png
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Whelp, OP revision 1 complete (aka the almost total ripping off of Arivia's thread).

Anything else I should add?

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
    edited March 2010

Was able to get the first 5 missions done and then one or 2 of the C's done. I think 6 and 8. Some of them are just brutal right now so I moved past and am scaling the tower to try and find maybe a hub or something.

How far am I from chocobo riding? Need to do some serious farming and leveling so I can grind out the stone missions. I got the catalogue leveled to its next tier and that helps but the Kaiser Behemoth mission still rapes my face and need to power up a bit.

The Chocobo Treasure Hunt mini-game, the best place to get money, opens up when you complete mission 14! I hope I can manage to get that far. I lost to the second mission twice, and when I finally beat it I received no stars. :(

The robot and bomb dudes in Mah'habara (follow quest marker) 2 groups near an optional miniboss gives like 5000 CP on average, and are piss easy.

Maybe I should try those mobs before I move on with missions. I want that damn Chocobo mini-game, though, for the Gil.

I like you can remember what I said (copypasted even?), but oddly not remember that I said it :P But yeah getting a bit more CP for some of the later 1-14 missions wont hurt.

late chapter 11 spoilers

I have a bunch of notepads on my desktop with GP and CP farming tips. :P

But ugh, I need to find that spot soon. These monsters are fucking raping me. Do those monsters respawn easily? Like if I round a corner I can just turn back? And do you have any more precise coordinates for those monsters I should look out for?

I can't say I'm enjoying Chapter 11 so far. This spike in difficulty feels a bit too extreme. It feels like I need about five or six times as much health just to survive in this place. These enemies are hitting me for half my fucking health.

Dashui on
    edited March 2010

late chapter 11 spoilers

But ugh, I need to find that spot soon. These monsters are fucking raping me. Do those monsters respawn easily? Like if I round a corner I can just turn back? And do you have any more precise coordinates for those monsters I should look out for?

I can't say I'm enjoying Chapter 11 so far. This spike in difficulty feels a bit too extreme. It feels like I need about five or six times as much health just to survive in this place.

Oh, cool. I have no idea why I missed this, since I read through the first two pages before posting.

And I should use that notepad idea, too.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
    edited March 2010

You'll know you are close to Mah'Habara when you see a Behemoth King duking it out with some ugly wolf thing, go into the cave behind them, as for cordinates, its in North-West section of the chocobo map (assuming we got the same one)
    with a long narrow corridor, inside take the first track away from the quest marker, then you'll bump into those groups, and yes they can be respawned easily, its the 2 groups before the optional miniboss Juggernaut (dont touch this guy for now)
    also fuck trying to 5 star Ci'eth missions at this time, later you'll get an item that helps with that (I dont have it yet though) Chapter 11 gets way more fun when you unlock chocobo hunting and when you get stronger.
    Whelp, OP revision 1 complete (aka the almost total ripping off of Arivia's thread).

I found this on Gamespot, Sellable item guide
    Item..........................................................,............................................Sell Price
    Credit Chip...................................................,..................................................500
    ***Human Guards, Rarity Varies
    Incentive Chip.....................................................,.........................................2500
    Moonblossom Seed................................................,...................................6000
    ***Bandersnatch/Jabberwocky, Common Drop
    Cactuar Doll.................................................,..............................................12000
    ***Cactuar, Common Drop
    Perfume.....................................................,.................................................12500
    ***Sanctum Inquisitrix/Sacrifice, Rare/Common Drop
    Starblossom Seed.......................................,............................................13000
    ***Bandersnatch/Jabberwocky, Rare Drop
    Gold Dust....................................................,...............................................15000
    ***Smallest Turtle, Common Drop
    Moogle Puppet..............................................,............................................18000
    ***Chocobo Dig
    Tonberry Figurine.......................................,..............................................28500
    ***Mission 41
    Plush Chocobo............................................,.............................................35000
    ***Chocobo Dig
    Gold Nugget...................................................,............................................60000
    ***Chocobo Dig
    Platinum Ingot............................................,.............................................150000
    ***Bigger Turtles, Common Drop

seems that just copypasting it, fucks it up a bit :s

Proven Mortal on
    Proven+Mortal.png
  • IgortIgort Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    PunkBoy wrote: »

I'm sure you'll be able to get it off eBay soon enough. The OST's been out since January, so I'd be surprised if there weren't some sellers offering it for a pretty good price already.

Igort on
  • CiriraCirira IowaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

It looks good Fig-d. My Weapon list was me copying it out of the strategy guide. Some of the abilities in there are less then clear. There is a Synthesis with a few weapons and other items that causes instant staggers and Lionheart is part of this group. Lionheart + 1 or 2 weapons from that group have the chance to cause Instant Staggers. Note that Ultimate Weapons are not part of any Synthesis group, so that bonus disappears for that weapon once an Ultimate Weapon.

The Guide also states that a Tier 1 Weapon from lvl 1 to max takes approximately 50,000 experience, a Tier 2 from Lvl 1 to max takes approx 450,000 experience. An Ultimate Weapon from Lvl 1 to max takes 1,500,000 experience.

It's very random but those are the approximates for weapons according to the guide.

Cirira on
    edited March 2010

You'll know you are close to Mah'Habara when you see a Behemoth King duking it out with some ugly wolf thing, go into the cave behind them, as for cordinates, its in North-West section of the chocobo map (assuming we got the same one)
    with a long narrow corridor, inside take the first track away from the quest marker, then you'll bump into those groups, and yes they can be respawned easily, its the 2 groups before the optional miniboss Juggernaut (dont touch this guy for now)
    also fuck trying to 5 star Ci'eth missions at this time, later you'll get an item that helps with that (I dont have it yet though) Chapter 11 gets way more fun when you unlock chocobo hunting and when you get stronger.

Item..........................................................,............................................Sell Price
    Credit Chip...................................................,..................................................500
    Incentive Chip.....................................................,.........................................2500
    Moonblossom Seed................................................,...................................6000
    Cactuar Doll.................................................,..............................................12000
    ***Cactuar, Common Drop
    Perfume.....................................................,.................................................12500
    Starblossom Seed.......................................,............................................13000
    Gold Dust....................................................,...............................................15000
    Moogle Puppet..............................................,............................................18000
    ***Chocobo Dig
    Tonberry Figurine.......................................,..............................................28500
    ***Mission 41
    Plush Chocobo............................................,.............................................35000
    ***Chocobo Dig
    Gold Nugget...................................................,............................................60000
    ***Chocobo Dig
    Platinum Ingot............................................,.............................................150000

I've found I'm not liking that spot after all. Those two mobs by themselves are actually quite easy, but to get them to respawn again I have to go through a single mob of three bombs and two robots. The bombs, naturally, go to self destruct mode immediately.

I've heard there's another good spot before you enter that area. You have a King Behemoth and Giant Wolf fighting each other. You can attack them, get an easy stagger on the Behemoth and finish him off, then kill the Wolf. Since they start at half health, it's suppose to be an easy 6,500 CP. There's a save spawn immediately next to them, too.

I wonder if I should use Snow instead of Fang here for now, because he has 1/3 more HP than she does.

Dashui on
    edited March 2010

I've found I'm not liking that spot after all. Those two mobs by themselves are actually quite easy, but to get them to respawn again I have to go through a single mob of three bombs and two robots. The bombs, naturally, go to self destruct mode immediately.

I've heard there's another good spot before you enter that area. You have a King Behemoth and Giant Wolf fighting each other. You can attack them, get an easy stagger on the Behemoth and finish him off, then kill the Wolf. Since they start at half health, it's suppose to be an easy 6,500 CP. There's a save spawn immediately next to them, too.

I wonder if I should use Snow instead of Fang here for now, because he has 1/3 more HP than she does.

That fight isnt that easy though (Behemoth goes stage 2 when you cant finish him off fast, and heals to full), the robots in the cave are faster to kill (I had no troubles with the bombs, but then again, I didnt find the area until I had roamed a bit)

At the moment I'm trying to down an Adamantoise, by using dirty tricks, its not really working so far.

Proven Mortal on
    Proven+Mortal.png
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

***Cactuar, Common Drop
    ***Chocobo Dig
    ***Mission 41
    ***Chocobo Dig
    ***Chocobo Dig

The best place is in the Western Benchlands. There are a bunch of Rangdas and Leyaks (the small...chicken imp things), they respawn almost as soon as you leave their area, take about 30 seconds to kill even when you're fresh to the area, and give anywhere from 1750-3500 per fight.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • RivulentRivulent Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    One thing I noticed, and it's probably been said before, but it's much more efficient to spend your points in the top tiers only to get to abilities you want/need, and avoiding the ancillary strength/magic/hp bubbles. Instead, use the points saved to bring your abilities up in the two other paradigms, even if they are never used. The basis is pretty common sense: Each stage gets less and less CP:stat efficient, so spending 1000 cp on 30 hp on Snow's ravenger build is a lot smarter than spending 10000 cp on 120 hp. The lower tier in this example is over twice as efficient.

Rivulent on
    edited March 2010

That fight isnt that easy though (Behemoth goes stage 2 when you cant finish him off fast, and heals to full), the robots in the cave are faster to kill (I had no troubles with the bombs, but then again, I didnt find the area until I had roamed a bit)

At the moment I'm trying to down an Adamantoise, by using dirty tricks, its not really working so far.

RAV/COM/RAV combo killed the Behemoth super fast, though. You quickly get the stagger meter to 999% and since it starts at half health, it dies quickly. The wolf is piss easy, too. I five starred it and got 6,600 CP.

Dashui on
    edited March 2010

RAV/COM/RAV combo killed the Behemoth super fast, though. You quickly get the stagger meter to 999% and since it starts at half health, it dies quickly. The wolf is piss easy, too. I five starred it and got 6,600 CP.

Yeah its good too, I just preferred the shitload of bomb cores I got from those bombs.

In other news, a dead Adamantoise is worth 40.000 CP ;-)

Proven Mortal on
    Proven+Mortal.png
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I didn't know the standards for OPs were so valued here.

In any event, it's fine. I was actually considering letting other members take turns on each new thread, and I'm still way behind for any of that technical jargon to become relevant for me yet.

Professor Snugglesworth on
    edited March 2010

In any event, it's fine. I was actually considering letting other members take turns on each new thread, and I'm still way behind for any of that technical jargon to become relevant for me yet.

I was going to pick up the new one but I got scared. it's too much pressure o_O

Grundlestiltskin on
    edited March 2010

Yeah its good too, I just preferred the shitload of bomb cores I got from those bombs.

In other news, a dead Adamantoise is worth 40.000 CP ;-)

There seem to be a lot of CP tricks in Chapter 11. I'm enjoying this one a lot more, though, because I kill them in a single minute and they respawn about ten seconds later.

I want to kill Adamantoise, but the trick requires Vanille to have Death, right? I don't have access to that yet. I'll have to carry on to Chapters 12 and 13 to open that up properly, I suppose (the teleporter back to the Chapter 11 area is in Chapter 13 or both?).

Right now I want to max out my current Crystarium proficiencies, go do the missions until 14, and do the Chocobo Treasure Hunt for the Gil so I can upgrade my weapons. After that I'll continue on, get Death for Vanille, and come back to try that trick.

Dashui on
    edited March 2010

What I'm currently doing is getting a pre-emptive attack on the King Behemoth at the start of the Archylte Steppe (near the save pont) having Sazh cast Haste on my party of him, Lightning and Fang, staggering the Behemoth, and finally going COM/COM/COM to beat his entire health bar down in one stagger.

Dashui's method sounds even easier.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
    edited March 2010

You can call dibs on the next if you want. I got my fix, so I'm not in a demand to horde future threads.

Kudos to Fig's OP though, nicely done. :^:

edited March 2010
    Stilts wrote: »

What I'm currently doing is getting a pre-emptive attack on the King Behemoth at the start of the Archylte Steppe (near the save pont) having Sazh cast Haste on my party of him, Lightning and Fang, staggering the Behemoth, and finally going COM/COM/COM to beat his entire health bar down in one stagger.

Dashui's method sounds even easier.

Like I posted above this one, it takes about one minute to one minute and 20 seconds to kill the two of them. You'll five star it and get 6,600 CP. Go back up the hill, turn around, and they're back again. It's ridiculous. In only a few minutes I already had about 25,000 CP.

There's a save point RIGHT next to them, too, so it's a great spot.

Doing this 15 times gives you almost 100,000 CP.

Dashui on
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So those secondary rewards...If I redo the quest do i keep getting the secondary rewards?

Also. The statues in the tower you have to do to proceed further. Can you redo them later to get the 5 stars? I only 3 stared em and wonder if they are doable again for the achievement or if they don't count.

Psychotic One on
  • Lux782Lux782 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    From previous thread. I need tips on fighting cryo bomb guys. I tried fire and cant seem to kill them fast enough. I am fine when I can get the jump on them but if I dont they heal up to full hp thanks to their 9000k hp heal they get from each other attacking.

BarFrost doesn't help defend as they still kill me in one hit (should it be upwards of 75%hp when it explodes). Meanwhile other bombs attack me heal the ones that are trying to explode. Oh how it would help to be able to control my character and have them run AWAY from dangerous things.

Lux782 on
    edited March 2010
    Lux782 wrote: »
    From previous thread. I need tips on fighting cryo bomb guys. I tried fire and cant seem to kill them fast enough. I am fine when I can get the jump on them but if I dont they heal up to full hp thanks to their 9000k hp heal they get from each other attacking.

BarFrost doesn't help defend as they still kill me in one hit (should it be upwards of 75%hp when it explodes). Meanwhile other bombs attack me heal the ones that are trying to explode. Oh how it would help to be able to control my character and have them run AWAY from dangerous things.

Blitz and Ruinga - preferable with 2 commando's, if that doesnt cut it, you should upgrade a bit.
    There seem to be a lot of CP tricks in Chapter 11. I'm enjoying this one a lot more, though, because I kill them in a single minute and they respawn about ten seconds later.

I want to kill Adamantoise, but the trick requires Vanille to have Death, right?

Seems that it works like 1 time out of 500 though. (no loot from that 1 time even)

Proven Mortal on
    Proven+Mortal.png
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ruinga is so funny against those summoning Frog things. 8 guys in one spot and BOOM everyone goes flying in the air. Second follows behind it and BOOM goes the dynomite. Throw in some Aeroga and its good times had by all.

Psychotic One on
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

You can call dibs on the next if you want. I got my fix, so I'm not in a demand to horde future threads.

Thanks!

I feel like I need to add some pictures or something though. Right now it feels a little wordy and technical. Too much technical crap, not enough pretties.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
    edited March 2010

Thanks!

I feel like I need to add some pictures or something though. Right now it feels a little wordy and technical. Too much technical crap, not enough pretties.

A character list with your own personal descriptions would go a long way.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I like how people either absolutely love this game or absolutely loathe it.

I didn't enjoy this game at all except for the combat until chapter 9 where some of the main characters finally grow some fucking balls, it ceases screwing with your party every 5 seconds and you can decide who is in your party. Beyond chapter 9, bearing in mind that's probably around 12 hours of gameplay getting to that point already - I have really got into the game and begun to really enjoy it.

Fuck the first 8 chapters though.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Aegeri wrote: »

This is what makes me really sad, because no matter how much I end up enjoying this game, I'll never want to play it again because the first ~15 hours suck so much.

metaghost on
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    metaghost wrote: »
    Aegeri wrote: »

This is what makes me really sad, because no matter how much I end up enjoying this game, I'll never want to play it again because the first ~15 hours suck so much.

I have a save right at the start of chapter 10.

Better foresight would have seen me do it at chapter 9, but sadly I didn't think that far ahead. :(

This isn't a game I will ever replay.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.