As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Echo Bazaar] Dark RPG + Alternate Victorian London + Twitter!? = Addictive

• WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm undergoing an Intrigue (or Venture, can't remember) with a curator and his sister. Is this new?

Wearingglasses on
  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm undergoing an Intrigue (or Venture, can't remember) with a curator and his sister. Is this new?

No, I've done that too. Hated it because I got the Fascinating quality up to 20ish and then failed the final check, losing everything, and I'd gained so much persuasion during it that I couldn't redo it. I recommend you go for the easier conclusion.

AnteCantelope on
  • ToddphhukToddphhuk Registered User new member
    edited March 2010
    Hey someone friend me up on this game
    i need people to help me rid me of nightmares and whatnot
    @toddphhuk

Toddphhuk on
  • ParadisoParadiso Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Has anyone managed to get connected with the Orient? That damn opportunity card has taunted me since the start but I've yet to have any encounters that build on that relationship. Hell, I'm more established with shambling clay golems and chittering cthuluoid monsters than I am with our brothers from the east.

Paradiso on
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Not me. Maybe some high-Dangerous ones would have it since they frequent the Docks?

Wearingglasses on
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    In other news, getting high Watchful means that basically you never have to worry about Nightmares ever again

Rent on
  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So I assumed that there was a special guy to talk to at The Great Game: 15 in the Shuttered Palace. :( Where is the Spymaster?

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
    edited March 2010
    I have three invitations to talk about nightmares on my homepage, so I feel it would be polite of me to explain: I have 7 nightmares, and no desire to go nuts just yet.

AnteCantelope on
    edited March 2010
    You wanna talk about it?

Wearingglasses on
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm sad. Since I lost it when I went took a trip on the river a few weeks back I have yet to see the third Eater of Chains opportunity card reappear in my hand despite much cycling through the deck.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited March 2010
    You wanna talk about it?

Nah, trying to grind out some cash for some items right now. My action points have become very precious.

AnteCantelope on
    edited March 2010
    You wanna talk about it?

Nah, trying to grind out some cash for some items right now. My action points have become very precious.

Just fyi I can be the Nightmares magnet of you guys if you need to, I've maxed my Ambition and at this point the only thing I'm doing is grinding for better equipment and such

So since I can manually lower my Nightmares easily, I'll absorb yours

Rent on
  • Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Wow, hitting the Ambition limit really saps a lot of the inertia out of playing this game.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm considering trying this game for a bit, but my only Twitter account is both rarely used and only for personal updates. Thus, it's my real name. Should I bother using it for this game, or should I make a new twitter account or something?

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
    edited March 2010
    Really, my main concern is that I have no idea how to clear up nightmares at this point. This is especially important now that I just hit 5...

EmperorSeth on
    edited March 2010
    You're still okay as 7 is really the danger zone. You can get rid of them by:
    • Sharing your dreams with a willing resident of Fallen London (that's us)
    • The "Moment's Peace" Opportunity Card
    • Having a high Watchful (40) and some Appalling Secrets
    • The outcome from random encounters/cards

Frankly, by cycling my Opportunity Cards frequently and by making judicious selections in terms of risks, I've rarely had my nightmares rise past 4.

Paradiso on
  • DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    To share your nightmares with others, you'll first need Sudden Insights. If you don't have any currently, then go to your Lodgings, and invite someone over for something terribly intellectual. If that person accepts, then you'll both gain sudden insights, and the winner will become a bit more admired.

Dizzen on
    edited March 2010
    So this is a VERY cooperative game, huh? I'm used to Kingdom of Loathing, where save for things like the malls, you barely need to acknowledge the rest of the players.

I guess this brings up my earlier problem. What if my twitter account is my real name? Should I just make a new account with a name like EmperorSeth? Can I even have two names on the same email account? And are enough of you guys still playing?

EmperorSeth on
    edited March 2010
    So this is a VERY cooperative game, huh? I'm used to Kingdom of Loathing, where save for things like the malls, you barely need to acknowledge the rest of the players.

I guess this brings up my earlier problem. What if my twitter account is my real name? Should I just make a new account with a name like EmperorSeth? Can I even have two names on the same email account? And are enough of you guys still playing?

Eh, the only cooperative parts are when you invite someone to do something, and someone else invites you to do something. So definitely more cooperative than Kingdom of Loathing, but you really only interact with folks you've followed and folks who have followed you.

As for having two twitter accounts on the same email account, the answer is no. Unless you are using a gmail account, then you can put a period in the username part of the address (E.mperorSeth@gmail.com, for example), and Twitter will consider it a different email account, while google will ignore the period.

Dizzen on
    edited March 2010

As an aside, you haven't done things like the sewers/slimetube? Because that's super-cooperative

I mean, yes EB has MORE social interactions but it's inaccurate to state that KoL doesn't have any

Also, this is most akin to getting stuck in a cage in the sewer, wherein you need someone else to free you or lose 10 adventures (getting 8 Nightmares or more makes you go insane, which is a requisite ten action minimum loss, with possible stat losses as well)

Rent on
    edited March 2010
    Rent wrote: »

As an aside, you haven't done things like the sewers/slimetube? Because that's super-cooperative

I mean, yes EB has MORE social interactions but it's inaccurate to state that KoL doesn't have any

Also, this is most akin to getting stuck in a cage in the sewer, wherein you need someone else to free you or lose 10 adventures (getting 8 Nightmares or more makes you go insane, which is a requisite ten action minimum loss, with possible stat losses as well)

I'm aware, but I lost interest when I hit the post-endgame stuff fast. So I never joined a guild or got into the sewers or Hobopolis or anything. Hell, I got bored of the Ocean right quick. I took out Naughty Sorceress at least, but that's about it.

EmperorSeth on
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Got Nightmares? Get Laudinum from the bazaar. It's cheap with a minor side effect: gain 1 wound level per use.

But you can buy a tonic for the wounds. It's good to be rich.

Caveman Paws on
    edited March 2010

I'm aware, but I lost interest when I hit the post-endgame stuff fast. So I never joined a guild or got into the sewers or Hobopolis or anything. Hell, I got bored of the Ocean right quick. I took out Naughty Sorceress at least, but that's about it.

Hehe, I've been around since 2006, I hate the game now and totally get what you're saying :o

Rent on
    edited March 2010

Hehe, I've been around since 2006, I hate the game now and totally get what you're saying :o

My experience with KoL was brief but enjoyable. I started in mid-2009, played for a while around 11 pm every night (central,) and then stopped when I won. And I ended up using the Wiki a LOT at the time. So many ads for online games that theoretically feature half-naked girls...

EmperorSeth on
    edited March 2010
    Okay, add EmperorSeth to the list. How do I add the rest of you? Just follow you on twitter?

EmperorSeth on
    edited March 2010
    Okay, add EmperorSeth to the list. How do I add the rest of you? Just follow you on twitter?

Yup yup. Once you follow a person, it will take anywhere from a few minutes to half a day before the game recognized that fact, though, so head's up on that.

Dizzen on
    edited March 2010
    No problem. I added everyone in the OP now as following. Hey, one more dumb question for the night. Can you change your character's actual name? Or will I have to play as a dangerous lady named EmperorSeth?

Also, damn that artist's model! I take forever to build up the fascination points, and she shoots me down so I have to start all over again...

EmperorSeth on
    edited March 2010
    Also, damn that artist's model! I take forever to build up the fascination points, and she shoots me down so I have to start all over again...

They really need to introduce some sort of critical failures system. I hate when that happens even though it's meant to be straightforward, and I hate losing around 1 in 10 straightforward checks later on which all give me wounds so I go from healthy to near death in a single day.

AnteCantelope on
    edited March 2010

They really need to introduce some sort of critical failures system. I hate when that happens even though it's meant to be straightforward, and I hate losing around 1 in 10 straightforward checks later on which all give me wounds so I go from healthy to near death in a single day.

Oh god, this so much, so fucking aggravating

To EmperorSeth: I collected the names of everyone who currently plays on one of the pages, I'll update and repost soon

Rent on
    edited March 2010
    Okay, two questions. First, how much should confessing my Nighmares help? It doesn't seem to be doing much to my Nightmare level, which is at 7 now.

Second, when should I bother with money in this game? That is, what crap should I sell and what shouldn't I? I haven't sold much of anything since I unloaded my prisoner's gear.

EmperorSeth on
    edited March 2010
    Okay, two questions. First, how much should confessing my Nighmares help? It doesn't seem to be doing much to my Nightmare level, which is at 7 now.

Confessing cuts a significant amount of Nightmares. If you need to confess more, hit me up @Renttastic

Also you can confess more than once to the same person

Usually I'll take anyone's confessions because I'm able to lower them by myself without assistance
    Second, when should I bother with money in this game? That is, what crap should I sell and what shouldn't I? I haven't sold much of anything since I unloaded my prisoner's gear.

What primary attributes are you?

Even so, until you hit about...20 or so, maybe a little higher, you should be selling almost everything you get whenever you need it, but not until you need it

Once you hit 30s or so you'll be both aware of what you'll need and will probably have enough free cash to start picking up equipment

Rent on
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

You don't lose them until the other person accepts the confession.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited March 2010

You don't lose them until the other person accepts the confession.

I know that. But even when it says my Nighmares are going down, the actual points don't seem to deplete at all. How far down should a confession drop you?

My original character is Persuasion and Shadow-specific. The second one, EmperorSeth, is more Watchful and Dangerous.

EmperorSeth on
  • alset85alset85 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Confessions should deplete a couple of levels at lvl 6. I can also accept some since it's easy for me to decrease them.

alset85 on
    override said: I can't wait until Toady causes pressurized water to be able to actually damage things. I want to hit goblins with a shit cannon of such pressure that the meat is ripped from their bones

Steam ID
    edited March 2010
    Oh god, this so much, so fucking aggravating

Anecdotally, I've discovered that failing easy challenges is getting worse as my stats increase. I just bombed 5/10 straightforward Watchful challenges. Nightmares up? Awesome. Go to hell, Rubbery Men.

Paradiso on
  • JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Has anyone experienced a bug where people you're following don't appear in any lists (my "Invite x over for y" are all blank). I created another account and friended the first account, and the second account can see/invite my first one, but the first one still can't see anything.

JohnDoe on
    edited March 2010
    There's lag between friending them on twitter and them showing up in Echo Bazaar. Wait a day.

Wearingglasses on
    edited March 2010
    Oh man...... Finished the Missing Comtessa case days ago, and I've had the Opportunity to reminisce on it.
    I decided to leave them below, after seeing the face of the Clay Man and his green eyes filled with fear, and thinking their feelings for each other sincere. However, upon reminiscing on it, it was her green eyes that was filled with fear, not his...

... huh. No wonder the story called me Heartless afterwards.

Wearingglasses on
    edited March 2010
    Anyone want to have a troubled conversation about dusty stones? Apparently it raises both our stats or something.

AnteCantelope on
    edited March 2010
    I'm game.

Wearingglasses on