As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[APB] All Points Bulletin, I'm gettin' too old for this sh*t...

• Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm Ciro in game, hit me up and we can do some group work. Anyone know of a clan? I'll make one if needs be.

No problem Risen, we should do some more of that.

Talk to Helen ingame, she can give you the hookup I think.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Mifio ^

The game is in a very early beta build right now. It's at least 6 months from release. I would love to talk to you guys about what's going on right now, and what I see in this game, but I just can't. :(

This so damned much. I just played for another hour and there's about six things I want to discuss but sadly cannot.

AUGH.

I know! The worst is, it's not like I want to give away any specific details. I can't even make the vaguest comments about what I think of APB.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    MifioMifio MrrlendRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Can you at the very least tell us if your experiences were worthwhile, at least, for the time you played?

Mifio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    NDA is still completely in effect I'm afraid
    You shall not, without the prior written consent of Company, disclose or otherwise make available the Service, documentation or other supporting materials, including any information relating to the performance or operation of the Service (including any testing results, opinions, benchmarking or other evaluation conclusions).

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Bah.
    My only chance is to wait it out for a beta then.
    *Frantically checks inbox.*

Mifio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, Realtime Worlds has all their bases covered with the NDA.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Updated the OP, Figure I'll keep updating the OP with interesting stuff that people are posting, videos and whatnot, keep it coming.

Mifio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I understand NDA's, but I don't see how they are enforceable. I mean, unless you have a post like "Hey guys my name in the game is CloudXXsephiroth and the game has etc. etc."

If you had a different email than the one used to register here, there is nothing they can do to find out who you are? Unless you posted from the same computer and they asked for your ip address, which I'm sure Tube would give them.

Langly on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    ahaha, yes Tube has said as much before.

For me, I'm registered on their forums with the same user name as here. Also, people are reporting NDA breaches. So, I don't really want to say anything. I don't want to lose my privileges to test.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yea, there's actually a place for testers to report other testers, and I've seen some do that.
    snitches get stitches

I actually got a warning once for breaching STO's NDA, though it didn't say what exactly I'd done wrong. But any breach in a place with that keeps a record, like, say, forums like this, would be a bad place to be talkative.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Well then, don't break it. Me and the two other people who didn't get a beta invite on this thread will just have to wait it out.

And wait...
    And wait...
    *Frantically checks inbox for beta invite*

Mifio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm not sure what the rules of this NDA are, but I've taken part in beta's where even mentioning that you're taking part of said beta is violating the NDA.

The Darkfall beta, for instance, said in it's NDA that we weren't even allowed to tell family members that we're taking part :lol:.

Basically, all I'm saying is that you guys should be really careful about talking about beta on public message boards until the NDA is lifted. You may have already broken the NDA just by letting us know you're participating in the beta.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Poor, Mifio. Poor, poor Mifio.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I keep seeing 3 or 4 emails on my toolbar. And I keep going "OMG ITS TEH BETAS" And then it turns out to be youtube comments.
    GAH!

Mifio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Mifio wrote: »
    I keep seeing 3 or 4 emails on my toolbar. And I keep going "OMG ITS TEH BETAS" And then it turns out to be youtube comments.
    GAH!
    You only have yourself to blame.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Switching to the Criminal side has really increased my enjoyment of the game.

I'm still going to remain very skeptical until I can experience their patch cycle and find out more information about payment plans though.

The fries are crispy, golden, and delicious, but the coke is a tad watery, and I'm still a couple chicken nuggets short of a happy meal.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Mifio wrote: »
    Well then, don't break it. Me and the two other people who didn't get a beta invite on this thread will just have to wait it out.

And wait...
    And wait...
    *Frantically checks inbox for beta invite*

Don't worry, I didn't get in either. Although I may have just signed up a second time. Which usually excludes you from the proceedings. Honestly I can't tell if I did or not though.

bobAkirafett on
    akirasig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Whatever happens in the first couple of beta patches will probably shade what I think about this game. I want to see what direction they take.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    RisenPhoenixRisenPhoenix SUPER HOTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Avynte wrote: »
    Switching to the Criminal side has really increased my enjoyment of the game.

I'm still going to remain very skeptical until I can experience their patch cycle and find out more information about payment plans though.

The fries are crispy, golden, and delicious, but the coke is a tad watery, and I'm still a couple chicken nuggets short of a happy meal.

This is perhaps the most accurate non-NDA-violating description of the game I've heard yet. I second it.

RisenPhoenix on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    God. I really want to vent about the APB forums right now. But that fucking NDA.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    Meta T. DustMeta T. Dust Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Alright lego beta for apb beta

who wants to trade huh huh

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    God. I really want to vent about the APB forums right now. But that fucking NDA.

It's just like every other official game forum.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Pretty much.

I just wanted to tell one dude to fuck off. He's one of those "Casual gamers are ruining my games!" type.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Pretty much.

I just wanted to tell one dude to fuck off. He's one of those "Casual gamers are ruining my games!" type.

I understand and sympathize with this expression of sentiment. And more I cannot openly say because of... you know.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    MrVyngaard wrote: »
    Pretty much.

I understand and sympathize with this expression of sentiment. And more I cannot openly say because of... you know.

I can understand the frustration on both sides of the fence in regards to the unstated issue at hand as well. It's tough with a game like APB that's different than most mmos.

Pure speculation not at all related to current beta issues, or the above remarks:

I would be really happy if this game ended up taking a payment direction similar to guild wars.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I remember watching videos promoting this game and getting excited. Since then I've foresworn getting excited for any MMO. Global Agenda didn't help the cause.

Is there a point to applying for the beta today?

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    As in free to play but they put all new content into expansions

Also the US beta isn't going yet? so signing up you might get into that maybe i dunno

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Wait, what beta are you guys discussing, then?

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    EU beta.

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    The US beta is going. I'm in it.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Pretty much.

I can understand the frustration on both sides of the fence in regards to the unstated issue at hand as well. It's tough with a game like APB that's different than most mmos.

Pure speculation not at all related to current beta issues, or the above remarks:

I would be really happy if this game ended up taking a payment direction similar to guild wars.

Have you guys been reading my posts on the beta forums?

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010

If you mean no monthly fee and just expansions over time? Yes, I would be very happy with that.

MrVyngaard on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm hoping they go for that model, as well. It just doesn't seem that 15 dollars a month would warrant me logging in to 'arrest some bad dudes'. Where as in guild wars I can pop on, do some stuff, goof off for a bit, and not feel bad about only playing for like 30 minutes a week.

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • Options
    edited March 2010

If you mean no monthly fee and just expansions over time? Yes, I would be very happy with that.

I think it's the only thing that makes sense. If they went for microtransactions for game items I think it'd quickly dip into 'only rich players can win' situations.

Scooter on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Scooter wrote: »

I think it's the only thing that makes sense. If they went for microtransactions for game items I think it'd quickly dip into 'only rich players can win' situations.

That could be avoided by having all paid items only be cosmetic. I think that might work since creating your look is a big part of the game.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Peewi wrote: »

That could be avoided by having all paid items only be cosmetic. I think that might work since creating your look is a big part of the game.

But since you customize everything by doing all the designs and shit yourself, this wouldn't be the biggest money maker unless they were limiting the clothing options and stuff like that.

Then showing off all those custom characters would go to waste cause you only get a shirt and jeans without that bill.

What I am trying to say is gold guns, all it takes.

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Yea, I just don't really trust microtransactions to stick to that though.

Especially if they need the income to run, and no one decides they really need kilts or whatever.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Unlockable cars is an option, since you can have a super pimped out ride and can jack cars.

Whatever car you keep in the garage can be a model that isn't on the street.

If there are like guildhalls or something could have smaller ones be limited to in-game currency and like mansions and shit be that bill.

If they put their minds to it there is no limit to the amount of rad shit they could charge you money for without unbalancing the game.

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Yea, I just don't really trust microtransactions to stick to that though.

Especially if they need the income to run, and no one decides they really need kilts or whatever.

Seriously. Microtranscations either take the route of A. The transaction purchases are pretty much necessary to enjoying the game experience or B. Are completely aesthetic in nature and not enough people buy them to keep the game afloat.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I sense if it takes a guild wars approach, and they have limited server room with how they are setting up the 100 people to an instance or whatever, I could see some kinda dungeon runners premium happening.

Not having to stand in line to play and maybe a few extra perks for like 5 bucks a month.

Also I think I am imagining this but, was anything ever said about in-game advertising?

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
This discussion has been closed.