As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Getting my kitten to stop biting

DeVryGuyDeVryGuy Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm having some trouble weening my 6 Month Old kitten off of play biting (which really hurts quite often). How can I teach him that biting his toys is fine but biting me is not okay?

Also: kitty pictures
DSC00520.jpg
DSC00621.jpg

Pokemon Diamond: 5369 6910 9799
FFTSig.jpg
DeVryGuy on

• KnifaKnifa Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Cute kitten :D

Perhaps using a spray bottle would help? Spray him a little bit when he bites you and it should stop him from doing it.

Knifa on
  • DeVryGuyDeVryGuy Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I probably should have mentioned what I have been trying.

Spray Bottle therapy deters him from biting at the moment (meaning he'll run the hell away for a little while), but over the last four months have not really shown a decrease over all. Loud noises seem largely ineffectual (somtimes he'll run off. Sometimes he'll just keep on play biting)

DeVryGuy on
    Pokemon Diamond: 5369 6910 9799
    FFTSig.jpg
  • Omnicron9999Omnicron9999 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Cute little bugger.

My aunt had a cat that liked to do the same thing. It usually comes from us humans playing with it in a manner that it thinks our hands are tasty eats (or that is is OK to eat us).u

The way she fixed it: Any time her kitten started to bite her fingers, she stuck it down the cats throat a bit. Not in a way that was cruel or anything... Simply to make it unpleasant for the cat. The cat doesn't puke mind you.

If you want another method, you could put hot sauce, or lemon juice, or something unpleasant to cats on your fingers. Negative association, should make the cat not want to put its mouth anywhere near your hands.

Omnicron9999 on
  • HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    This is what worked with my cats:

As long as they played nice I would praise them and give them treats.

But, the moment one of them bit or clawed too hard, I would yell very loudly, "OW!" (VERY LOUD), and then immediately walk away from them and ignore them for a few minutes.

I would go back afterwards and play again. If they got carried away and bit again, I would do the same thing.

Only took a day for them to get the hint.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    He's still going to be a kitten for probably another 3 months, and play fighting and biting you is going to a big Need for him, since toys don't deliver the interactivity he needs. But if you want him to stop biting I'd second the "push your finger onto the back of his tongue" technique. Hot sauces, lemons, or those unpleasant chemical Fooey products usually end up in your mouth through some chain of events, and possibly like my newest cat, he might enjoy them and attack/chew more.

And has he chewed through any of those computer cords yet?

Octoparrot on
  • AurinAurin Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Normally anytime my cat tries to bite me, I just push on his lower jaw a bit. It's holding his tongue down and he doesn't like that much, so he doesn't bite my hands. Saying 'OW!' really loud seemed to have more of an effect on my other cat, so he doesn't bite either.

Cute kitty too. :)

Aurin on
  • rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Everytime she does it, blow in her face. Kittens hate it but it doesn't hurt them. She'll learn. If it doesn't seem to be working, blow in their face and then stop playing with them and ignore them for a few minutes, they hate that even more.

Loud noises also work. I hiss at my cats, which actually works a lot better than it sounds.

I have 10 cats by the way.

rayofash on
  • AximAxim Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    if worst comes to worst there is always the isolation tank
    CatWasher.gif

Axim on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited April 2007
    You know, I was just searching the web for the same exact thing about 2 weeks ago. My kitty loves to bite my arms and feet (especially when its time for me to go to bed), and I ended up doing a combination of the spray bottle and the loud OW/NO.

Though that works most of the time, he still tends to go back into strike mode and make another leap at my precious fingers a few minutes later. I'll have to try the throat thing.

(@ 8 months)
    badkitty.jpg
    badkitty2.jpg

Unknown User on
  • n1t0n1t0 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    You could try scruffing the bastard. momma cats do it.

n1t0 on
    n1t0.gif
    edited April 2007
    Axim wrote: »
    if worst comes to worst there is always the isolation tank
    [IM G]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a251/lol4chan/CatWasher.gif[/IMG]

B&!

That guy should be shot.

rayofash on
  • FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Spray water bottle and make sure you scream out "NO" everytime he does it. He'll associate the noise and the spray with his behavior after a while.

Fellhand on
    edited April 2007
    Fellhand wrote: »
    Spray water bottle and make sure you scream out "NO" everytime he does it. He'll associate the noise and the spray with his behavior after a while.

The problem with this is he could become afraid of you.

rayofash on
  • RaggaholicRaggaholic Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I've had a friend who's kitten would do this and this is what she said worked for her. Everytime her kitten would do this, she would hiss at it and then "sit" on it. She wouldn't sit on it like she would a chair, but she'd put pressure on it pinning it in place so it couldn't go anywhere or do anything. She said that adult cats also do this to kittens to show them who's boss.

Take it for what you will.

Raggaholic on
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    rayofash wrote: »
    Fellhand wrote: »

The problem with this is he could become afraid of you.

With our kitten/cat, we just yelped when she bit. It's how other cats convey the message that "hey, that hurts." It worked fine, and she rare does it anymore, even when we're playing with her vigorously. And when she does, we just yelp again and she instantly stops.

mcdermott on
    edited April 2007
    Raggaholic wrote: »
    I've had a friend who's kitten would do this and this is what she said worked for her. Everytime her kitten would do this, she would hiss at it and then "sit" on it. She wouldn't sit on it like she would a chair, but she'd put pressure on it pinning it in place so it couldn't go anywhere or do anything. She said that adult cats also do this to kittens to show them who's boss.

Take it for what you will.

This works too.

rayofash on
  • MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    The uber simple but maybe not what you're looking for solution - stop playing with the cat with your hands. I have a sort of feathery-thing-on-a-stick thing I use to play with my cat, and it keeps my hands far away while he gets to play his little heart out.

My cat used to be a biter as well but he did grow out of it after about a year. In the meantime, all the solutions posted in this thread are good. Don't forget to praise for good behavior.

Medopine on
  • CimmeriiCimmerii SpaceOperaGhost Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Try giving her a light tap on the nose with two fingers when she bites too hard- The equivalent of another cat swatting her is what your looking for, It's just a cat form of "don't do that!" and has worked well with various kittys I've lived with. Reinforcing with "ow!" will help too.

Cimmerii on
    *Internally Screaming*
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    rayofash wrote: »
    Everytime she does it, blow in her face. Kittens hate it but it doesn't hurt them. She'll learn. If it doesn't seem to be working, blow in their face and then stop playing with them and ignore them for a few minutes, they hate that even more.

Loud noises also work. I hiss at my cats, which actually works a lot better than it sounds.

I have 10 cats by the way.
    Blowing on their faces is a very effective way of doing it. My friend recently got 3 kittens and trained them this way, even Hermes "Bitey McBiteyourhand". Now when he makes a blowing noise they stop whatever it is they are doing and look very guilty. Works for teaching them not to climb on the table and such as well.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif