As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Cell Phone Thread

• Options
    telcustelcus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    So I used to have this phone that came cheap as free with my plan, a Motorola v.90 or something like that. It was a pile of crap and eventually died when it went through the washing machine.

Now I've got some old, scratched up Samsung phone that some guy was getting rid of because he was getting a new one. I bought it from him for ten dollars and paid another twenty for reactivation fees. This thing has been through the washing machine twice now without any signs of damage. I like it.

Being able to survive a trip through the washing machine is my new criteria for getting a phone.

My Samsung has also been through the wash and has come out the other side in working order, with the exception that the 4 key will sometimes not register its presses. I was pleasantly surprised at this.

telcus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Phoenix SmasherPhoenix Smasher Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    PSPNGage.jpg
    I miss my QD. :( Worms World Party was the shit.
    pheonixengage.jpg
    It was also fun to make fun of.
    I have a Motorola v360 now. It's an ok phone, just kinda sluggish.
    Motorolav360.jpg

Phoenix Smasher on
  • Options
    JaceJace Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Current phone is the Sony Ericsson K800i:
    sonyericssonk800inp2.jpg

pros
    • fantastic camera
    • clear display
    • Video calling

cons
    • Only comes with on-board memory
    • standby time is poor
    • charging is a bit problematic (sometimes it charges sometimes it doesn't)

Next upgrade will be a Nokia N95, a colleague at work has one and I have been impressed by how many features it has and how light it is.
    3474n95zc7.jpg

Jace on
    Jace
  • Options
    SoonerManSoonerMan Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Any suggestions for a fliptop with Bluetooth, decent camera, and a relative tank? I'd hate to buy new out of contract, but it'd be worth it I suppose to have a fully functional phone. Is the V3r as good as I've heard? I heard it's the RAZR, but a tank and everything else is, I guess, fixed.

SoonerMan on
    Rah, Oklahoma! Rah, Oklahoma! Rah, Oklahoma~! O-K-U!
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I had a Motorola V360 until I dropped it into a G+T. I want something similar, but cooler? I'll probably just get another one since they've gone down in price and I fear change.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I am currently waiting in the Motorola Razr Maxx to be my next phone.

I haxored the number 2 out of my E815 ... but i desire the sexy thinness of the maxx

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    RoundBoy wrote: »
    I am currently waiting in the Motorola Razr Maxx to be my next phone.

I haxored the number 2 out of my E815 ... but i desire the sexy thinness of the maxx

How did you dial numbers with a 2 in them then? :lol:

My current phone is the K800i, I did a lot of research before buying and have looked for upgrades since, and I can still safely say this is the best candybar phone on the market, and probably the best full stop

Pros
    • Awesome camera
    • Doesn't need fancy software (at least on a Mac. iPhoto opens when I pug it in and copies all my photos across like a proper digicam, iSync works immaculately too)
    • Nice solid feel, really well made
    • Really good battery life (almost as good as my old z520i - I get about 5 days between charges and that includes sending and recieving about 25 texts a day)
    • Huge internal memory (stored 1000 texts (about 2 months worth) before it needed emptying)
    • Decent interface with some nice skins available
    Cons
    • Quite heavy
    • Camera is a bit grainy and has too small a lens
    • Battery life drops qiute sharply for actual calltime
    • Camera cover slides open sometimes
    • Buttons are quite small and fiddly.
    • Would prefer it in a flip form factor.
    My next phone will of course be the iPhone <3

ben0207 on
  • Options
    tony_importanttony_important Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    awaiting this:

fic-neo1973.jpg

For those unaware, it's a fully programmable cellphone. It runs on a touchscreen.
    It's not the iPhone.
    It's open source, and it's called the neo1973.

It runs on openmoko software, which can be tweaked to do pretty much anything.
    I really, really, really, really want one.

tony_important on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Ego wrote: »
    As a note, if you buy one you have to be careful about firmware updates (like, you don't want to get them) because updated ones bugger with your audio playback quality and Sony doesn't seem to have plans to change that. Stupid thing to have to worry about in what's touted as a 'walkman' phone.

Thanks for the heads up. I think my impulse drive will be blowing my tax return ($50 shy of the price of this phone), and I'd hate to have it ruined by Sony. I was hesitant from the beginning as I haven't had the best history with the company, but this is the first remotely cautionary thing I've heard and, I mean, there's a whole other company helping Sony out with this so maybe it won't blow up on me.

I've been trying some Razrs and certain Samsungs, and man, you guys aren't kidding about the interface. My current Sanyo 2400 is a basic phone through and through, but the menus are much nimbler than many phones that cost three times as much as it. Funny that it's $230 now, I paid $110 on Solo. But I must say, to anyone thinking about getting Bell/Solo in Canada, they have pretty much no towers. Every, single, other, provider I have ever heard of has more towers than these guys.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Ooh, that is quite sexy indeed

ben0207 on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited April 2007
    tytn-1.jpg
    (US version = Cingular 8525)

pros:
    touchscreen
    full web browser
    can tether to a laptop as a modem
    amazing keyboard layout
    gps
    playing emulators while at work
    access to corporate outlook etc.

cons:
    sorta bulky
    battery life
    massive frame skipping when on cingular's EDGE network (no proglems on 3G)

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Is that neo1973 phone ever coming out, or is it still just a 'concept' phone.

And will it be less then $arm.leg ?

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
  • Options
    tony_importanttony_important Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    RoundBoy wrote: »
    Is that neo1973 phone ever coming out, or is it still just a 'concept' phone.

And will it be less then $arm.leg ?

from what I read there are currently some dev models out on the market, but I guess they're kind of basic/chunky/test models.
    Also, a cleaner-cut version is going to be hitting the market in September, and the price is earmarked for around $350 US.

tony_important on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Bah... i read the wiki on it .... GSM only rules out verizon .

Not that i care.. but I'll choose in sept if it turns out to be the cat's pajamas

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
  • Options
    imbalancedimbalanced Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    robothero wrote: »
    tytn-1.jpg

pros:
    touchscreen
    full web browser
    amazing keyboard layout
    gps

cons:
    sorta bulky
    battery life

I'm getting something similar from Helio once it releases this spring. I am ditching Verizon once and for all!!! The one I want is the Helio Ocean:

ocean-horizontal-3-4.jpg

http://www.helio.com/#device_gallery_ocean

imbalanced on
    idc-sig.png
    Wii Code: 1040-1320-0724-3613 :!!:
  • Options
    RonenRonen Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    imbalanced wrote: »
    robothero wrote: »
    tytn-1.jpg

pros:
    touchscreen
    full web browser
    amazing keyboard layout
    gps

cons:
    sorta bulky
    battery life

I'm getting something similar from Helio once it releases this spring. I am ditching Verizon once and for all!!! The one I want is the Helio Ocean:

Picture

http://www.helio.com/#device_gallery_ocean

You... you do realize that Helio is an MVNO that runs on Sprint's network... which uses the same technology that Verizon uses, right?

In the event that the Sprint network isn't available, a Helio phone will fall back on Verizon's network for voice communications.

If I'm wrong, please correct me.

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Ronen wrote: »
    You... you do realize that Helio is an MVNO that runs on Sprint's network... which uses the same technology that Verizon uses, right?

In the event that the Sprint network isn't available, a Helio phone will fall back on Verizon's network for voice communications.

That's not really why I'm leaving Verizon. I'm leaving them for their shitty customer service, their crappy phone selection, their 2-year lockin everytime your LG phone breaks and you don't want to pay an arm and a leg to get a new one. I want them to burn in fire. If I wasn't going to Helio, I would go back to Cingular and get an Ericsson phone.

imbalanced on
    idc-sig.png
  • Options
    RonenRonen Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

That's not really why I'm leaving Verizon. I'm leaving them for their shitty customer service, their crappy phone selection, their 2-year lockin everytime your LG phone breaks and you don't want to pay an arm and a leg to get a new one. I want them to burn in fire. If I wasn't going to Helio, I would go back to Cingular and get an Ericsson phone.

Oh, ok. Those are all good reasons (especially the phone selection part). I just wanted to make sure.

When you get it, post impressions of the Ocean on here. It looks like a really cool device, and although I'll never use Helio (or any CDMA provider, for that matter) I want to get my hands on it at least once.

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I'm reading more about the Sony W810i and a lot of people bring up sound quality on the MP3 player. Does anyone here who has one experience this? And will any headphones work with it, or am I stuck with the included earbuds?

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I've got a SonyEricsson Z525a:

sonyericsson-z525a-l.gif

And apparently, if you sign up for a 2 year contract with Cingular it's currently free after rebates. You can't beat that.

I really like this phone, but that's all I use it for...a phone. The camera is pretty decent, and the sound quality of calls is good too. I carry mine in my pocket all the time, and it doesn't feel too clunky. And at the price of $0.00 I'd highly recommend it.

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Oh, ok. Those are all good reasons (especially the phone selection part). I just wanted to make sure.

When you get it, post impressions of the Ocean on here. It looks like a really cool device, and although I'll never use Helio (or any CDMA provider, for that matter) I want to get my hands on it at least once.

I sure will. I've been using a Cingular blackberry the past two years at work, so I know just how fast (or unfast) the EDGE network is. I hear good things about data and 3G EVDO networks. The problem with me having a blackberry is now I notice when I can't check my email habitually every five seconds, and Google Maps mobile is the bestest.

imbalanced on
    idc-sig.png
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited April 2007
    This will be my next cell phone:

iMate Ultimate 7150
    • Windows Mobile 6 Professional
    • 520 MHz Marvell Bulverde processors
    • VGA touch screen and an OLED outer shell screen
    • 128 MB of RAM
    • 802.11 b/g/e/i Wi-Fi
    • Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR
    • 2-megapixel cameras
    • XGA TV video out
    • USB 2.0 connections

imate1.jpg
    imate2.jpg
    imate3.jpg
    imate4.jpg

This thing is sex incarnate.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Bouncing_SoulBouncing_Soul Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    That thing looks freakin' huge.

I'm curious about the Helio thing, I never really understood their service and what makes them so different. Is it a more data/multimedia oriented phone/service?

Bouncing_Soul on
    Umlauf.gif
    Buy some useless stuff at my Cafepress site!
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited April 2007

I'm curious about the Helio thing, I never really understood their service and what makes them so different. Is it a more data/multimedia oriented phone/service?
    much smaller than a DS lite, and capable of doing EVERYTHING you could ever want to do portably.

A full browser on a 640x480 screen, with touch controls, Sirius/XM streaming, FM radio, high speed internet, gigs of storage space via Micro SD, excellent gaming choices like ScummVM and other homebrew/commercial offerings, live RSS feeds, push email... it's a glorious platform.

And with the advent of bluetooth, there is no reason you should ever have to hold it to your head.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    syndalis wrote: »

much smaller than a DS lite, and capable of doing EVERYTHING you could ever want to do portably.

A full browser on a 640x480 screen, with touch controls, Sirius/XM streaming, FM radio, high speed internet, gigs of storage space via Micro SD, excellent gaming choices like ScummVM and other homebrew/commercial offerings, live RSS feeds, push email... it's a glorious platform.

And with the advent of bluetooth, there is no reason you should ever have to hold it to your head.

i just looked again at the outside of the thing, thinking "wtf, why would someone write the time on theirOH HOLY CRAP IT'S A SCREEN"

that is surprisingly cool.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    darleysam wrote: »

i just looked again at the outside of the thing, thinking "wtf, why would someone write the time on theirOH HOLY CRAP IT'S A SCREEN"

Yep... that is OLED, like the Optimus keyboard that never was.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    darleysam wrote: »

Yep... that is OLED, like the Optimus keyboard that never was.

OLED is a term i've heard used a lot, never actually looked up what it is. To the Wikimobile!

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Bouncing_SoulBouncing_Soul Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

In that case, that thing is incredible. What service provider is going to carry it?

Bouncing_Soul on
    Umlauf.gif
    Buy some useless stuff at my Cafepress site!
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    What's the price, tho? :|

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Moto-Q gets my vote as well. I love this phone cept for it sucking down juice like mad. Get into an area where you are using analogue .. bye bye battery.

Havent had any issues with windows mobile yet either.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm currently using the Sprint PPC-6700

PPC.jpg

ppc6700Specs.jpg

PROS:

Has everything thing I need. PDA capabilities, Bluetooth, cell phone, organizer.

Camera is ok: 1.3 Megapixels. I can use the "flash" as a flashlight if in a bind since it's always on when I turn it on.

I love Windows Mobile 5.0 so far.

Screen digitally rotates when I slide out the keyboard, which is a nice touch.

Sound is pretty good. Bluetooth works well.

MiniSD memory card. I bought a 2gig for $30.

Battery life is pretty good normally. Can go a few days without charging if I don't have all the bells and whistles on.

CONS:

Get's "bogged" down sometimes when a lot is going on.

Battery doesn't last long if I keep MSN Messenger or the Wifi Capabilities enabled.

Screen needs to be adjusted fairly regularly.

Not cheap if you don't get the "discount" for signing a 2-year contract.

OVERALL:

Definitely a step up from my old phone, a Samsung SPH-A840. Bluetooth is awesome. I'm definitely happy with it.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    What's the price, tho? :|
    It's going to be terribly expensive.

I am used to paying a lot on my phones though, as they act like laptops for me, so I am ready for the pricetag.

It will be replacing the PPC-6700 I am currently using (featured a couple posts above this).

I think Cingular will be the carrier of the iMate Ultimate. Or anyone with a 3G network if you just buy the hardware out of contract.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    sushijerksushijerk Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    So I just ordered a w810i off of Amazon, and intend to replace my ipod with it for everyday listening purposes. What's battery life of this thing like in terms of playing music? Also, is paying for unbranding worth it? A lot of people make it seem like the Cingular firmware ruins the phone.

sushijerk on
  • Options
    MentisMentis Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    29636_pdi.gif
    w600

Pretty decent, mostly comparable to the next two phones except it swivels open. I found the joint to be a little shakey.

W800-2.jpg
    W800
    Flashed firmware and unlocked. Ran great, camera was nice and I have a huge hard-on for SE's phone operating system. Very easy to update via included usb cable, and hardly ever needed to be restarted. Got about 8 hours run-time with high useage of the mp3 player either via headphones or the external speaker. Sound quality of the speaker wasn't very good when playing ringtones or mp3s, and earpiece volume wasn't very great until firmware was hacked. Takes up to 2gb memory stick duo pro which was plenty for photos and music until I lost it in the ocean in Puerto Rico. Took that oppourtunity to upgrade to a...

sony-ericsson-w810-combo.jpg
    w810i

This was pure sex. I was totally in love with this phone. All the features of the previous model with an even sleeker shell. I even got it running some pretty nifty flash-based themes with hacked firmware. I had to buy a cingular model and unlock it (I use t-mobile), but even the cingular branded button didn't sway my feelings for this phone. Please not that the cingular branded firmware is quite bad, and you'll want to take the time to hack the firmware. Typically a process that takes a few hours, I was unlucky and it took me 3 days (brutce force method, purely based on luck).

Everything about this phone was great...till I got out of a cab drunk one night and it fell out of my pocket. It got rained on, and I lost another sexy phone to water.

I then felt compelled to get a t-mobile phone so I could get insurance on it (lost those SE phones in a period of 6 months).

t-mobile-mda-thumb.jpg
    T-mobile MDA aka Vario aka HTC Wizard

Finally after much debating, and cursing at all the money I spend on cell-phones, I ended up with this. Windows Mobile 2005, expandable memory via mini-sd, blah blah blah. Quite awesome, though it does lag a little when I'm using alot of ram. It runs nethack, all my pda apps, plays mp3s well (though you will need a converter to use standard 1/8th" headphones). It's quite nice, though bulky. I'm not one of those people who really needs blue-tooth anything so sometimes it's a bit clunky to get out of my pocket. With skinning apps available ala WindowBlinds, I've got a pretty swank iPhone skin running making full use of that touch-screen.

I have a thing for expensive phones, and I hope I destroy this one in a water related incident soonish so I have another excuse to upgrade. That iMate looks quite nice ;)

Mentis on
    Minecraft & XBL name: TheCJX
    Steam: Ashengor
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

You realise every issue you mentioned is a problem with every carrier except phone selection - (which is a personal preference thing) Nobody is going to give you a discount on another phone within your contract period after they already gave you one.

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Deusfaux wrote: »

You realise every issue you mentioned is a problem with every carrier except phone selection - (which is a personal preference thing) Nobody is going to give you a discount on another phone within your contract period after they already gave you one.

Unless you extend your contract another year or two at the same time. :P

All carriers have pretty much equally bad customer service, and the major ones all operate on the same business model. So it's pretty much always a matter of "the grass is greener on the other side."

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    931-one.jpg

Still using the Motorola E1000. The joystick is getting really stiff now which is more annoying than you could ever believe. Still a great phone, though.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Mentis wrote: »
    w810i

This was pure sex. I was totally in love with this phone. All the features of the previous model with an even sleeker shell. I even got it running some pretty nifty flash-based themes with hacked firmware. I had to buy a cingular model and unlock it (I use t-mobile), but even the cingular branded button didn't sway my feelings for this phone. Please not that the cingular branded firmware is quite bad, and you'll want to take the time to hack the firmware. Typically a process that takes a few hours, I was unlucky and it took me 3 days (brutce force method, purely based on luck).

Would you say it would be a good choice for someone who'd use it primarily as an MP3 player? Google tells me some people had issues with a hissing and/or low general volume. These things would kill it for me.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    nice to see the Sony Ericsson phones getting some good words. I got one a few weeks ago, on the advice of a friend ("so, i'm taking out this contract, what's the best free phone on offer here?"). My w850i is rather nice, certainly a presentational step-up from my last phone (Nokia 6030, i do believe). I honestly don't know what's 'good' or 'bad', but it feels nice and reliable, although i fear that the slide mechanism will give out before it's served a full term.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    htcsseven.jpg

My only compaint was the price. Almost $500.

Shogun on