As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cookie (or Biscuit) Brigade East

• kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    As the creator of the PAX Forum Badges, I approve of the card design presented here. I do however have some teensy comments to make on it. These being:

1) The Cookie Brigade 2010 will be making rounds TWICE this year, thanks to PAXimus Prime running in September. I therefore suggest that either you remove the year stated on the card or sub-title it thus:

The Cookie Brigade: Eastern Corps - 2010

This will allow PAXimus Prime attendees to use the following:

The Cookie Brigade: Western Corps - 2010

2) Some members of this esteemed regiment hail from Perfideous Albion. This means that the word 'cookie' has little to no meaning. I therefore suggest an alternative name be given to them, in the form of:

The Royal Biscuit Battalion - Colonial Corps - 2010

The PAXimus Prime attendees from the Old World will bear the title:

The Royal Biscuit Battalion - Frontier Corps - 2010

They probably need a special card too. Just a thought mind, feel free to ignore me :)

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• browncoatbethbrowncoatbeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    hi there! just signed up over on the website - I'll be happy to do some baking!! not sure yet if I will be able to distribute though, so I just signed up for baking for now. I'm thinking chocolate & peanut butter chip macadamia nut cookies... something just loaded with chips... yum.

browncoatbeth on

"The bass, the rock, the mic, the treble, I like my coffee black just like my metal." - MSI
  • LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I've bought some pretty cellophane bags and ribbons for my biscuits and cake bites, and plan to put 3 in each.

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sorry for the confusion, I guess there were some communications issues and general confusion about what was going on and who was who (VT, I'm the one running the site!). If you signed up on the website you should have gotten an e-mail outlining how things generally go. VT and I will be co-running this because he's a lot more cuddly than I am :D and because RL is kicking me around with unforeseen things.

If you've mentioned in the thread that you're participating and haven't been contacted by either me or VT with info please PM one of us!

Hypatia on
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Oy, why do I always forget that you're the one who made that website? I'm the most forgetful person in the world... I think in retrospect you've told me that you're running that website at least twice. =) lol, oy =)

Also Kropotkin, hi! =) I'm hoping that the PAX East on the card itself will help to deliniate... I'm getting the feeling that if they extend trading cards to PAX Prime, they'll probably have a blue border and have the PAX Prime logo on them instead, which I'm hoping will work. =)

I'd love to give you guys your own card too, but the only problem is that you have to pay for a whole new unique batch. =( It's going to be a stretch just for this run... making a second run will cost a lot more. =(

However, if you want to, I'm personally 100% in support of you (or anyone else who wants to!) making a special Cookie Brigade card for our British Brigadiers! =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • ValantineValantine Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I made you a Blinky but i eated it...
    just the test batch.... still lots to go before cookie brigade.
    125j.jpg124hw.jpg
    also.. someone please buy me a rolling pin!
    121qnv.jpg

...TRY and find that at a Willam Sonoma..

Valantine on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
  • aerynkellyaerynkelly nothing to see here, move along Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Valantine wrote: »
    I made you a Blinky but i eated it...
    just the test batch.... still lots to go before cookie brigade.
    125j.jpg124hw.jpg
    also.. someone please buy me a rolling pin!
    121qnv.jpg

...TRY and find that at a Willam Sonoma..

those are awesome!

aerynkelly on
    fss_overall.png
    edited March 2010
    lol! That's fantastic on both counts Valantine! =)=) Though I could see the lightsabre's cutting power making cookie dough rolling difficult. =) lol

VThornheart on
    edited March 2010
    I have my cookie distributing gear together now, getting psyched!

aerynkelly on
    fss_overall.png
  • ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'd love to make a ton of sugar cookies, myself, but dont have the supplies.

I need to look up what it would take to make like 6 dozen sugar cookies.

ZeroHourHero on
  • ValantineValantine Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    you HAVE to check out http://www.snackordie.com/ apparently I'm not the first one to do pac man sugar cookies *although mine are bigger* and there are LOADS of other awesome game themed baked goods like Fall Out 3 gingerbread vault boys and Portal cake bites

Valantine on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
    edited March 2010
    omg i love the katamari cake balls - those are awesome! thanks for sharing the link! i might have to try to make those now...

browncoatbeth on

"The bass, the rock, the mic, the treble, I like my coffee black just like my metal." - MSI
    edited March 2010
    I'm currently creating my next cookie hauling device... I wish I had thought of this one years ago, it's already looking like it's going to be superior in almost every way to each of my previous attempts at making something ultra portable while still having the requisite space needed for the items.

You know those hanging shoe things, the ones with deep rectangular prism-shaped cubbies? I'm adapting one right now as a belt attachment (basically sewing loops onto it that my belt can go through along with the loops on my pants themselves, forming a supper ghetto fantastic Batman-like utility belt). It looks like it'll have enough space to hold as much as the toolbox did, and I'll have both hands free again to actually do things like give people cookies and accept donations. =)

It won't be as covert as the toolbox, but I'm trying to think of ideas right now as to how I could adapt it to either make it less obvious or to make it look like it's supposed to be part of some kind of cosplay. I'm definitely open to ideas. =)

Even if it's not too covert, it still will be less overt than the big strap-on box that I used in 2008, so I'm not terribly worried. =)

I also bought the material components with which to make something resembling a flagpole, but more compact. I bought a telescoping pole, and I'm going to embed one end into a short but fat piece of wood. On that will be a hinge, from which a thinner but longer piece of wood will extend from. The flag can hang from that extended piece of wood. In the end, it'll all collapse into a device about the same size as a cane... so if I integrate cosplay into this, I need a character that wouldn't seem out of place using a cane, because I'm probably going to try and rig it up to at least vaguely resemble one. =)

VThornheart on
    edited March 2010
    Not sure if it will work out how it does in my head, but I have a messenger bag, and I bought cardboard shipping tubes that I cut into 8" sections that fit into the messenger bag. The cookies go into the tubes, and the messenger bag/tubes shouldn't look too out of place. I hope.

aerynkelly on
    fss_overall.png
  • FacelesscogFacelesscog Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You know those hanging shoe things...

I'm thinking of doing something similar with one of those canvas closet organizer kind of things strapped on to the back of my wheelchair. In theory, it should make hauling a bunch of cookies around pretty easy! Now, I just have to find the right organizer... :)

Facelesscog on
  • AhkhiraAhkhira Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    /ceases lurhing but is still shy

This will be my first PAX, and I want to support your cause. I am working at PAX, so there;s no way I'll be able to distribute. I do love to bake, so I'm more than willing to help. I can bring a picnic basket full of goodies if I can somehow have somebody else find me and pass out cookies. I'm going to be in a fixed location for PAX, so if someone is willing to, please PM me and tell me:

1. who you are
    2. when you'd like to meet
    3. how much should I bake?

Thanks-

/slips into shadows

Ahkhira on
    Find me at the Magic: The Gathering events!
    edited March 2010
    Yay, that's awesome! We need all the baked goodies we can get! =)=)

Also Facelesscog, great minds think alike! ;) I grabbed a 10$ shoe organizer thing, much like what you described: it's fabric and flexible, and will do great either wrapped around a person or attached to a chair I'm betting! =)

VThornheart on
    edited March 2010
    Ok, Cookie Brigadiers, riddle me this: If my wife and I are working the queue room, distributing cookies and treats, will we still make it in to see Wil Wheaton's Rockin' Keynote Addres (tm)? I want to do my part to help the brigade, but I don't want to miss Mr. Wheaton, you know?

Facelesscog on
    edited March 2010
    This is a very good question... and for the answer... do you have a BYOC pass?

If not, get one. Then, about 15 minutes before the doors open, go back to BYOC and get ready to rush the Wil Wheaton line. =) I'm not 100% sure if this'll work, but I *do* know that BYOC people get in early: and with that, you should be able to use that to your advantage (and still sell cookies up to almost the very moment of the main attendee doors opening).

If BigRed is listening in, he might be able to give more of a thumbs up or down on whether this is actually realistically feasible. Red, are you there? Will this Brigadier make it into Wil Wheaton's keynote given this advanced strategy? =)

VThornheart on
    edited March 2010
    Not to abuse any potential...uhh...beneifts(?), but I have been told by Parabs that, at past Primes, he's been let in to panels and other events early, due to the wheelchair. I don't want to seem like I'm taking advantage of the situation, but if they're going to let me in to the keynote early(along with my wife, hopefully), for example, then we can distribute cookies to our hearts' content, providing relief to the growling stomachs of the assembled geeks and raising all kinds of cash for Child's Play. :)

Thoughts?

Facelesscog on
    edited March 2010
    Ah, that is very possible as well! Indeed, they usually can make good accommodations in that kind of situation, which would mean that you're set! You're going to be our "mobile weapons platform" of cookie brigadieering! =);)

VThornheart on
  • LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I can confirm that, Facelesscog, PAX are issuing passes for disabled people that allow us to get in early, miss queues, and there's a +1 pass, too. Yay, an advantage at last! We pick them up from Will Call

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
    edited March 2010
    Well, that about makes it official then, I will be the Mobile Weapons Platform for the Cookie Brigadiers!

Thanks for the verification, LewieP's Mummy. (I have since done a search and found out that the Will Call desk will be open from noon to 11:00 pm on Thursday in the Registration Desk, if anyone else needs to know.)

Facelesscog on
    edited March 2010
    Woot! We've got an APC pickup! =);) Awesome!

This will be an epic Cookie Brigade, I'm psyched! =)

VThornheart on
    edited March 2010
    Ok, one last question for you, brigadiers of Prime's past... Generally speaking, is there enough space in the queue room to walk around the perimeter distributing cookies, or must one loiter about outside the entrance to the room? Just trying to set my distribution plan in advance. :)

Facelesscog on
    edited March 2010
    Aye... I've found that there's always been room, though admittedly I've been on foot.... in the worst case, you could hit the middle and side aisles, which are always generous in the room that they have and not crowded at all, but you can hit the outside parimeter of the line (and you'll find that, if you do that and people know you're there, *they'll* come to *you*. =) )

VThornheart on
    edited March 2010
    People are also generally ok with you walking along the line to distribute and actually when they squeeze people in and people have to move it's a good time to dump cookies :)

Hypatia on
  • leeesherleeesher Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I've found that line rooms are a premo location, even while waiting in line yourself.

Once people find out you have cookie brigade cookies, soon you'll hear a murmur of "where'd you get the cookie?" and people start coming to you. It's glorious.

leeesher on
    edited March 2010
    hey since we're getting close i just want to double check my understanding of one thing - if we are just baking, and not distributing - there will be several different times at which we can drop off what we've baked, right? just b/c for the first couple hours of the con on friday i'll be tied up waiting in line to get in, waiting in line for wil, watching wil, etc...

sorry if this Q has already been answered, but i just wanted to be absolutely sure!! want to make sure ppl will get to eat what i bake! :)

browncoatbeth on

edited March 2010
    How many cookies will you have, BrowncoatBeth? As the Mobile Weapons Platform of the Cookie Brigade, I'll be wandering about the queue room. I'll have a rather large storage bag on the back of my wheelchair for our cookies and treats, but we can certainly leave room for yours, if it's a reasonable amount. :)

Facelesscog on
    edited March 2010
    How many cookies will you have, BrowncoatBeth? As the Mobile Weapons Platform of the Cookie Brigade, I'll be wandering about the queue room. I'll have a rather large storage bag on the back of my wheelchair for our cookies and treats, but we can certainly leave room for yours, if it's a reasonable amount. :)

I will also be in line waiting for the keynote, so I can take on cookies if you don't have enough room

aerynkelly on
    fss_overall.png
    edited March 2010
    I'll be sending out an e-mail with meeting times and locations either tonight or tomorrow, so stay tuned for it! We'll also be sending out at least VT and my numbers so you can get a hold of us if you need a refill/drop-off. :)

Hypatia on
    edited March 2010
    aerynkelly wrote: »

I will also be in line waiting for the keynote, so I can take on cookies if you don't have enough room

cool, thanks guys. i should be able to find one of you, and it sounds like there'll be details soon on meetup times over email. appreciate it! :)

and i think i'll probably have around 6 dozen of whatever i'm making. i'm experimenting this afternoon with the katamari balls!!! :)

browncoatbeth on

edited March 2010
    Okay guys, so this weekend has been quite fruitful for our plans...

* My new distribution garment:

Highly portable...
    2010-03-21155805.jpg

Sewn together with some cheap components (costed ~15$ for all the components needed)
    2010-03-21155843.jpg

The finished product!
    2010-03-21155922.jpg

Hopefully it'll work well. =)

* The portable flagpole:

I used Gorilla Glue, and was terrified that I screwed it up...
    2010-03-21155747.jpg

My first take at the flag-holding portion, before I realized it wouldn't support the weight...
    2010-03-21163219.jpg

The completed product, with many joints for support. =)
    2010-03-21192636.jpg

A closer look...
    2010-03-21192707.jpg

Extended!
    2010-03-21192742.jpg

... and again!
    2010-03-21192759.jpg

I did all the sewing/hardware work myself! It's been an interesting learning experience! =)

Now, for the $30,000 question: is the flag itself ready?

Let me know, I think that I can figure something out quickly if it's not!

VThornheart on
    edited March 2010
    I'm excited to see what cookies I'll be distributing :)

aerynkelly on
    fss_overall.png
  • the_stamythe_stamy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Okay guys, so this weekend has been quite fruitful for our plans...

Now, for the $30,000 question: is the flag itself ready?

No flag, no country (sorry, I know I'm a dork).

The flag holder looks great, VT. I also dig the accordian-style bag, probably much easier for you to carry than last year's big honkin' box.

the_stamy on
    edited March 2010
    Thanks! =) Aye, the toolbox just didn't allow me the mobility I was hoping for... and the first box was both too clunky and too overt, though the straps on it worked well.

I'm hoping that the flag has been lined up so I can hoist the banner of the brigade! Just in case, I'm doing a quick search for something in the area that might be able to make one quickly.

VThornheart on
    edited March 2010
    Just spent a few hours bagging and boxing 250 cake balls that were donated by a most awesome coworker! They look delicious... but I did not eat n'ary a one! =)
    cakeballs_42.jpg

cakeballs_46.jpg

cakeballs_49.jpg

cakeballs_50.jpg

Bring your sweet tooth to PAX East! =)

VThornheart on
  • JDubsJDubs Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Gah! Life has moved pretty fast lately and I forgot to post my interest in becoming a member of the Cookie Brigade! Is there still time to sign up and participate? I can bake something and distribute.

JDubs on
    edited March 2010
    Yes! Definitely, that'd be awesome! Send Hypatia or me your contact info to add to the contact list!

VThornheart on
This discussion has been closed.