As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Alcohol] II: This Time, It's DRUNKER

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited March 2010
    Gin Flip:

2 oz gin
    1/2 oz simple syrup
    1 whole egg

mix with ice, shake vigorously, strain into wine glass, garnish with nutmeg

I don't know that I could recommend the Gin Flip - it's interesting but kind of dissonant. I would bet that the brandy flip or rum flip would be delicious though.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    TallaclasseeTallaclassee you ever seen a lion limber up before it takes down a gazelleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    yeah i dunno how the gin and egg would mix

seems you would need something more bourbon-y

Tallaclassee on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    But you guys, Scotch is way better then rum.

on a related note, as someone who wants to puke at the smell of Captain Morgan is there a way for me to love rum once more? I think it might just be because it is too sugary but I cannot stand the stuff at this point.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    BallmanBallman Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Doodmann wrote: »

on a related note, as someone who wants to puke at the smell of Captain Morgan is there a way for me to love rum once more? I think it might just be because it is too sugary but I cannot stand the stuff at this point.

I dunno, I went through a bottle of 10 Cane recently, and it was pretty decent. It's a light rum from Trinidad, and was pretty good, but I too like Scotch better than rum.

Ballman on
  • Options
    Perfectly CromulentPerfectly Cromulent Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

I've had several good drinks with gin and egg white. I can't imagine the yolk combining well with the gin, though.

Perfectly Cromulent on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    http://lux-stuff.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/ssskraken.jpg

omg so good

drank two fifths in the span of 7 days on vacation in charlottesville (where i went to school)

I came so close to buying a bottle of this last week. I may have to next time I'm in Hi Time.

Wow, that's some elaborate-ass packaging.

desc on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Gin Flip:

2 oz gin
    1/2 oz simple syrup
    1 whole egg

mix with ice, shake vigorously, strain into wine glass, garnish with nutmeg

I don't know that I could recommend the Gin Flip - it's interesting but kind of dissonant. I would bet that the brandy flip or rum flip would be delicious though.

I did this on my birthday except they made it disgusting by putting the egg in after straining it into a martini glass. Actually that probably wasn't the same thing at all.

Doodmann on
    I like to ART
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Does the smell of a non-spiced rum make you want to puke? Try that alternative.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I think I'm doomed because it is mostly the sweetness of it. I've had Mount Gay and it was about the same.

Doodmann on
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    i'm drinking a 12 year old bottle of appleton estate rum I picked up in jamaica. It's the biggest distillery on the island so it's not exactly rare stuff, but boy is it tasty. I thought I would try it neat and then add ice if I needed it, but I'm loving it neat so far. It has a spicy flavor so far with (of course) strong brown sugar flavors. It seems like it would be a shame to sully it with juice or cola.

I also learned that white rum is either simply unaged rum or aged rum that's been filtered through charcoal, removing its color and a lot of its flavor.

I was reading a little about rums last night. Apparently, Jamaica has long been known for their dark rums while Cuba was famous for light rums until Castro, when Puerto Rico became the dominant supplier of light rums to the US.

I don't really have a very good palate for rums, and just keep around a bottle of Myers dark, a bottle of Barardi silver and a bottle of Sailor Jerry's spiced. They seem to be a very underpriced liquor considering their history, variety, and the care with which they can be made.

I don't really know many mixed drinks that rums are used for outside of the daiquiri and the tiki drinks. Might be worth experimenting with replacing some whiskey recipes with an aged rum or gin recipes with a white rum?

I was surprised at how tasty the 12 year old rum was especially that I was sipping it neat. It was quite smooth and reminded me of sipping scotch, so much so that I didn't want to mix cola or juice or anything with it. Now as much as I love sailor jerry's I'm not about to drink that straight.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited March 2010

So I did a Sailor Jerry flip after the gin flip. Went a lot more smoothly.

Not a bad drink, the spiced rum flip.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    is the alcohol in the liquor supposed to kill the stuff in the egg?

or... are you just putting egg in there

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

i guess i just put the egg in there

but yeah i guess 80 proof alcohol kills most stuff.

i am not really the kind of guy to sweat a raw egg

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    TallaclasseeTallaclassee you ever seen a lion limber up before it takes down a gazelleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    it's been 3 years since i took orgo 1 and orgo 2, but i seem to remember high concentrations of alcohol having the capability to denature proteins, yes

Tallaclassee on
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Start at 1:56.

http://www.youtube.com/user/keithmarszalek#p/u/8/3dyDUW1qT0c

Cervetus on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    pisco sour looks pretty tasty

i had a ramos fizz last week. it was a pretty tasty drink but wicked fussy to make.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    So in honor of St. Patrick's day, here is JC Skinner's guide to Irish Whiskey.

I don't really know who the guy is, but appears to be an Irish drunk with strong opinions about his Irish whiskey.

tl,dr: Bushmill's line is reliable, Redbreast is the best if it's available, and Connemara is good if you prefer scotch to irish whiskey.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    ssskraken.jpg

omg so good

drank two fifths in the span of 7 days on vacation in charlottesville (where i went to school)

So I fully admit I'm a pansy when it comes to anything other than beer, but I would buy this just for the bottle.

I still have a bottle somewhere of this pirate rum that was sold in a wooden cask with a jolly roger flag on the front. Bought it in college, haven't cracked it open yet.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

yes, do not drink shitty rum

here is the thing

it seems like most people think of rum as a mixer, and then are surprised when their mixer-quality rum tastes like shit straight

not that this is necessarily you

but if you want to enjoy rum, go buy a nice $40 bottle that doesn't have Capt. or Sailor or Bacardi in the name

and sip on them shits straight, like a boss

Sea Wynde is a rum I've had that isn't very sweet at all, and has a lot of complexity like a whiskey

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ballman wrote: »

I dunno, I went through a bottle of 10 Cane recently, and it was pretty decent. It's a light rum from Trinidad, and was pretty good, but I too like Scotch better than rum.

I always see this at the Liquor store. It looks so good. Just sitting there. Mocking me. Trying to get me to shell out the 40 bucks for it.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    hey lets not defame sailor jerrys ok

Tallaclassee on
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yeah i was gonna say... I've been drinking sailor jerry's neat and been enjoying it. Granted, I've never tried something better and/or more expensive, but I got the impression it was solidly middle-shelf, not mixer-only territory.

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    BallmanBallman Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    JebusUD wrote: »

I always see this at the Liquor store. It looks so good. Just sitting there. Mocking me. Trying to get me to shell out the 40 bucks for it.

I got it on sale for $26. I don't know that I'd call it worth $40.

Ballman on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    JebusUD wrote: »

I got it on sale for $26. I don't know that I'd call it worth $40.

It might be 35.

Sailor Jerry is like... 18 dollars so I just can't justify that price. I think Mount Gay and Appleton Estate was cheaper too.

That 10 cane just looks so good in that bottle.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Appleton Estate 12 yo is a very good rum.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    VerrVerr Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    St. Patty's day, another one of those holidays sucked up by the great vacuum and spit out into getting drunk.

Now excuse me while I go drink Guinness and speak with a terrible Irish accent.

Verr on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I have a final on Friday but I also have a bottle of jameson staring at me...judging.

Doodmann on
    I like to ART
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I have a final on Friday but I also have a bottle of jameson staring at me...judging.

I fail to see how this constitutes a dilemma, considering the existence of Thursday.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    The crutch being I need to get an A on it and I got a 83 on the midterm so my confidence is not high.

Doodmann on
    I like to ART
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I like Jamison for shots. But if we're sipping Irish whisky, we're sipping Bushmills. But I've never heard of Connemara. So maybe my horizons will be broadened a bit.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Podly wrote: »
    Appleton Estate 12 yo is a very good rum.

very tasty.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So there's a whisky expo coming up! I want to go! But dollars. But whisky! Hmm...

It doesn't help that Laphroaig's e-mail thing keeps sending me reminders about it. I think they've got a discount, but it's still like $90. But I mean, I'd probably get to taste stuff I'd never let myself buy.

firewaterword on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Also! I'm going to a Whisky and Cheese Pairing Class next month! At Cask! It's a long delayed birthday present.

I haven't the faintest idea as to how you go about pairing whisky with cheese. But I love them both oh so much. I'll share whatever wisdom I wind up gathering with you guys, because you're all pretty cool like that.

firewaterword on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    It's St. Patty's day that liquid is going from bottle to mouth.

Doodmann on
    I like to ART
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    i would assume some very smoky cheese would go well with a wisky

dunno beyond that though

Tallaclassee on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, like a smokey gouda or something with a peaty scotch. Or something kind of nutty like manchego with a sherried scotch. OK this is going to be cool.

firewaterword on
  • Options
    LegionnairedLegionnaired Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So I saw this scotch ale from 'Alesmith' at the local beverage mart

This is it:

http://www.alesmith.com/weeheavy.html

Anyone tried it? Worth the $12 a bottle that the local place requires of me?

Also, I've been a fan of George Dickel for a nice, cheap sipping whiskey for a while now. Learn me some and expand my horizons!

Legionnaired on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I haven't tried that particular brew, but everything else I've had by AleSmith has been fantastic. Great west coast IPAs, and their Speedway Stout is a killer imperial.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So i found a place in town where I can pick up growlers of beer from a tap for 8 bucks a growler, if i bring my own bottle. Awesome. I got Guiness in honor of St. Patties.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I have never heard of the term growler with regard to alcohol/drinks/beer before now

SithDrummer on
This discussion has been closed.