As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Heavy Metal 2006: Blood Fire Update

• Options
    The CheeseThe Cheese Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Blind Guardian have been doing their thing for over 20 years now. They were one of the pioneers of power metal and thus are a very original band. With respect to their other albums, A Night At The Opera is not particularly original.

The Cheese on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Yes, I can name literally dozens of power metal albums based on the Silmarillion. Dozens!

(Anybody brings up Battlelore I'll cut them)

ben0207 on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    A Night At The Opera is not based on the Silmarillion. But I know that you know that.

I meant musically. And there are lots of rock songs based on Tolkien's works.

The Cheese on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I still think a lot of BGs stuff does do new things both musically and creatively, and they are a very important part of power metal.

As for other bands doing new stuff? I can't really think of any specific examples, but there has to be something going on. Maybe we're just entering a lull.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Most of the innovation I see in the power metal field is fusing it with other types of metal.

Which is usually disastrous (see power metalcore)

The Cheese on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I'd rather not, thankyouverymuch.

We're seeing a lot more symphonic stuff too. Most of it sounds bloody awful, though I do sort of fancy the lead singer of Epica, reagrdless of her musical worth.
    Epica_simone_simons.jpg

ben0207 on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    She's one of 'em masculine chicks that looks good bein' a masculine chick.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'd hit it

Al_wat on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    More like Kate French (she can sing and could drop Epica girl)

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    She is hot. And has a scary voice.

The Cheese on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Yeah, she does. She does some nice clean vox too though.

But mostly DECAPITATION ATTACK!

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The only Luca Tirilli album I like is the second one, but it's pretty damn enjoyable.

Somebody give me some similar bands to Lake of Tears.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    ben0207 wrote: »
    I'd rather not, thankyouverymuch.

We're seeing a lot more symphonic stuff too. Most of it sounds bloody awful, though I do sort of fancy the lead singer of Epica, reagrdless of her musical worth.
    Epica_simone_simons.jpg
    I kind of want to masturbate to that photo. Her hair is epic.
    But i've been inebriated :(

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    legionlegion North YorkRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    METAzraeL wrote: »
    The only Luca Tirilli album I like is the second one, but it's pretty damn enjoyable.
    Which album was the second one? The most recent album was all kinds of terrible, but I do remember liking some of the older Turilli stuff.

legion on
  • Options
    Bob The MonkeyBob The Monkey Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Spackle wrote: »
    I almost feel bad for the punk thread, lasted 4 pages until it turned into a "what is punk" instead of band discussion.

I think starting a unique power metal band would be pretty tough. Not only do you need the skill of fast tight playing, but you also need unique ideas to make your work stand out.

Replace "unique power metal band" with "good band" and you're getting there.

Bob The Monkey on
  • Options
    Bob The MonkeyBob The Monkey Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I think the main problem Power Metal bands have is how incredible generic they are. I mean, the same can be applied to pretty much any metal: genres in metal have diversified so much that each individual genre has become very specific in its definition. And unfortunately, most musicians aim to write songs in a particular genre, rather than trying to write a piece of music. So what you get is lots of bands writing songs that tick a very specific set of boxes, and everything begins to sound hopelessly generic.

And oh my god if I hear one more metal song that modulates up a minor 6th to the chorus I'll rip someone's arm off.

Edit: Oh, and power metal singers (who, lets be honest, all want to be Dickinson or Halford) seem to have missed the point of why those two were good entirely. It wasn't because they could hit the high notes, or because they had killer vibrato, it was because they were just damn good singers. And 99.9% of power metal vocalists just go for the high notes, the vibrato, and forget about developing a distinctive voice and tone which is the important stuff.

Bob The Monkey on
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    legion wrote: »
    METAzraeL wrote: »
    Which album was the second one? The most recent album was all kinds of terrible, but I do remember liking some of the older Turilli stuff.

He only has 3, and the second is Prophet Of The Last Eclipse.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    nagilfarswakenagilfarswake Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I think the main problem Power Metal bands have is how incredible generic they are. I mean, the same can be applied to pretty much any metal: genres in metal have diversified so much that each individual genre has become very specific in its definition. And unfortunately, most musicians aim to write songs in a particular genre, rather than trying to write a piece of music. So what you get is lots of bands writing songs that tick a very specific set of boxes, and everything begins to sound hopelessly generic.

And oh my god if I hear one more metal song that modulates up a minor 6th to the chorus I'll rip someone's arm off.

Edit: Oh, and power metal singers (who, lets be honest, all want to be Dickinson or Halford) seem to have missed the point of why those two were good entirely. It wasn't because they could hit the high notes, or because they had killer vibrato, it was because they were just damn good singers. And 99.9% of power metal vocalists just go for the high notes, the vibrato, and forget about developing a distinctive voice and tone which is the important stuff.

i think angra's done a damn fine job of playing power metal (well, maybe power prog) without getting stuck on genre conventions. they still check the boxes, so to speak, but they do a good job of introducing unusual elements to their music.

and really, there are worse things than generic power metal. I'd take avantasia over a generic goregrind band any day.

nagilfarswake on
    Down the slopes of death he rides; the eight hooves pound like drums.

eve: Cain Blueriver
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Hey Dragonland is unique. Dragons. . .in SPACE.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SpackleSpackle Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

i think angra's done a damn fine job of playing power metal (well, maybe power prog) without getting stuck on genre conventions. they still check the boxes, so to speak, but they do a good job of introducing unusual elements to their music.

and really, there are worse things than generic power metal. I'd take avantasia over a generic goregrind band any day.

Bands need to start thinking about theory a little more. I'd like to think Prog Metal is taking a step in the right direction using different theory and avenues to write a solid piece of music. I'd like to think this.

Spackle on
    Taco Bell does win the franchise war according to the tome of knowledge that is Demolition Man. However, I've watched Demolition Man more then a few times and never once did I see WoW. In conclusion Taco Bell has more lasting power then WoW.
    D&D Metal Thread: HERE
  • Options
    CandlemassCandlemass Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Spackle wrote: »

Bands need to start thinking about theory a little more. I'd like to think Prog Metal is taking a step in the right direction using different theory and avenues to write a solid piece of music. I'd like to think this.

I would like to think that as well. Too bad that to many prog metal bands it is interpreted as them needing to show off technical skill rather than skillful songwriting. The idea of theory going beyond the convention is lost on many of these. Still, the good examples which actually push the envelope are well appreciated.

Candlemass on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    nagilfarswakenagilfarswake Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    waaaait. you're saying that songs should go intro-verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus-chorus? WE'VE GOT TO TELL NICKELBACK!

nagilfarswake on
    Down the slopes of death he rides; the eight hooves pound like drums.

eve: Cain Blueriver
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Lifelover marathon ftw

Aquarius Records has Erotik in stock, in case any of you kvlties have dough to burn.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I dont know if they were mentioned before, but Ensiferum. Finnish metal band. Opinions?

My buddy just told me about them but I haven't heard anything yet.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    AdrenalineAdrenaline Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Folk metal band, you could probably do better.

Adrenaline on
    I will show you fear in a handful of dust
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    From checking out their website, it seems like some (a lot?) of their songs are about the Finnish Kalevala.

I actually am pretty interested in that. Is that what you meant by "folk"?

Al_wat on
  • Options
    AdrenalineAdrenaline Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Folk metal is just a somewhat ambiguous subgenre that takes into account different stylistic things like nature, Vikings (in Ensiferum's case), Pagan worship, etc. That and songs are usually sung in the band's native language instead of English, and feature elements of folk music to go along with whatever genre of metal they're combining it with. In Ensiferum's case I guess it'd be speed metal, I've read about them sounding like a folkier Children of Bodom.

Adrenaline on
    I will show you fear in a handful of dust
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    My buddy did actually compare them to Children of Bodom.

Eh, I'll try to get my hands on a couple songs before I think about purchasing anything.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    SalazarSalazar Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Salazar on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Hahaha... man this music makes me want to eat a whole bunch of mushrooms and run into a forest.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    RavagerRavager Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Folk metal is so awesome. Also check out Korpiklaani and Finntroll if you havent already.

Ravager on
  • Options
    SalazarSalazar Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Ravager wrote: »
    Folk metal is so awesome. Also check out Korpiklaani and Finntroll if you havent already.

I love Folk too. Recently discovered Manegarm and they're awesome.
    Also Moonsorrow, Falkenbach, (some) Bathory.

Salazar on
  • Options
    RavagerRavager Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Salazar wrote: »
    Ravager wrote: »

I love Folk too. Recently discovered Manegarm and they're awesome.
    Also Moonsorrow, Falkenbach, (some) Bathory.

Yeah, Bathory's viking stuff is incredible.

I also hear good things about Vintersorg but I havent had a chance to check them out yet.

Ravager on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Vintersorg's 2007 album is great!

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    SpackleSpackle Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Listen to Architect - The Awakening

You'll feel better.

Spackle on
    Taco Bell does win the franchise war according to the tome of knowledge that is Demolition Man. However, I've watched Demolition Man more then a few times and never once did I see WoW. In conclusion Taco Bell has more lasting power then WoW.
    D&D Metal Thread: HERE
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Skyclad - The Prince and the Proverty Line

Damn good with an odd twist. This should still be considered folk, right?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I just got so much fucking metal from a friend of mine it's going to take months to go through all of it. However, right now my new favorites are Musta Surma and Kampfar.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    UneXpect - Desert Urbania: http://media.putfile.com/03-unexpect-desert-urbania

Imagine the soundtrack that goes on inside Chucky's little doll head during a murder spree. I love these guys, but some might find it.... cheesy?

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    skimbleshanksskimbleshanks __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm happy that someone else is a fan of UneXpect besides myself. I tried getting one of my friends to listen to their _wE Invaders EP and they were like "wtf is this circus metal?"

skimbleshanks on
    The more laws and order are made prominent,
    The more thieves and robbers there will be.
    -Lao-tzu
  • Options
    Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    9-string bass?

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that band sucks.

The I record is fucking good. I've been listening to it for about a week now. I admit I'm a sucker for "blackened" rock/metal stuff, but I think it's really good.

Whiniest Man On Earth on