As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MOTW 3/17] St. Patrick's Day Edition!

descdesc Goretexing to deathRegistered User regular
edited March 2010 in Graphic Violence
Since I only had a chance to swing by the comics shop yesterday to catch up on the last few weeks, I'll take the liberty of making this week's MOTW post to celebrate my two $1 Bin Finds of the Week:

Runner-Up MOTW:
Kitty Pride and Wolverine #1 for $1! Kitty in an ice skating uniform with a fever! It's 1984, back when the X-Men were always flying to and from Japan and fighting ninja for no good reason!

MOTW For Real:
New Mutants Special Edition #1! Asgardian Wars tie in. What do kids these days know about classic mid-80s Art Adams pencils? I still have the TPB of this somewhere in a box, but I had to grab the actual issue for a buck. It is so 1985 it's out of control.

Highlights:

- It's the mid-80s, so a character can get a white pegasus and no one even bats an eye.
- Loki turns Storm into a hawk, and the hawk still has a tiny white mohawk.
- This is back when characters still inexplicably felt the need to announce their names and/or powers as they were attacking someone.

Cover shot:
New_Mutants_Special_Edition_Vol_1_1.jpg

For those of you who actually bought comics today: let's hear some MOTW excellence!

desc on

• jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    SEIGE #3. Bendis and Coppiel delivered.

IMAGE SPOILER:
    28c3nk9.jpg

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Silver_MageSilver_Mage Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    oh god....
    So it wasn't Norman Osbourn at all? Just a fucking Skrull?

Silver_Mage on
    edited March 2010
    oh god....

No,
    that's Osborne in facepaint

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Silver_MageSilver_Mage Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    oh god....

No,
    that's Osborne in facepaint

Just looking for clarification, since it's only one scan and I don't read the seige event.

Silver_Mage on
  • Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Siege was pretty good. While it didnt have one singular, "omfg-thats-awesome" moment, it did have a bunch of smaller, "thats pretty sweet" moments.

I cannot wait for Phobo to kick Sentry's ass tho.
    sentryvoidbadass.png

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    desc wrote: »
    MOTW For Real:
    New Mutants Special Edition #1! Asgardian Wars tie in. What do kids these days know about classic mid-80s Art Adams pencils? I still have the TPB of this somewhere in a box, but I had to grab the actual issue for a buck. It is so 1985 it's out of control.

Highlights:

- It's the mid-80s, so a character can get a white pegasus and no one even bats an eye.
    - Loki turns Storm into a hawk, and the hawk still has a tiny white mohawk.
    - This is back when characters still inexplicably felt the need to announce their names and/or powers as they were attacking someone.

Cover shot:
    New_Mutants_Special_Edition_Vol_1_1.jpg
    You win, sir.

Crimsondude on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Jesus christ, every fucking panel of Siege #3. This is the first time Marvel has delivered on an event for me for a long time, but I'm loving it so much.

Hensler on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    X-Posted in the bitching thread.

On the flipside, Solar, Sentry has in one issue become infinitely more interesting. Theres good art and Sentry gets to do some awesome stuff.

Scans
    siege3legioncps010.jpg

That last panel is some epic, about to get the shit kicked, stuff.
    siege3legioncps011.jpg
    siege3legioncps014.jpg
    siege3legioncps021.jpg
    siege3legioncps024.jpg
    siege3legioncps033.jpg

THE VOID!
    siege3legioncps035.jpg

DarkWarrior on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I like how you posted the same thing in each thread, but I don't see how it was bad. Sure Captain America gets a sloppy one, but on the whole it's a long way into the good camp. Norman Osborn freaking out while the Void sits in the sky above just screams "this shit just got real" to me.

Alos, Ozzy says he knows who the Sentry really is, hopefully we'll find that out, because the whole Angel of Death thing hasn't been explained yet.

Solar on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Pretty much the entirety of Siege #3 is the MOTW.

Furu on
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Why would Norman wear that on his face?

I mean, he had the film crew come there. He knew there were cameras. Why would he take the time to do that?

Other than that, it was a pretty awesome issue.

Sharp101 on
    edited March 2010
    Sharp101 wrote: »

I mean, he had the film crew come there. He knew there were cameras. Why would he take the time to do that?

Because he is absolutely batshit crazy.

Solar on
    edited March 2010

Always the possibility that Loki put it there and that Norman doesn't even realize its on his face at that moment.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • MaticoreMaticore A Will To Power Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Solar wrote: »

And he was probably intending on staying in his Iron Patrior armor, no?

Maticore on
    edited March 2010
    I think that was the plan. I think Osborn has grown to rely on the advice and strength of his goblin persona, you see it in Siege: The Cabal when he says "you always know what to do," and that he's bowing to it more and more suggests that he's actually reverting to that state. And of course since it's hard to wear the goblin mask under that armour plate...

Solar on
  • JyrenBJyrenB St. AugustineRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Siege 3 was definitely great, but my moment of the week was at Megacon in Orlando over the weekend. Managed to track down Nova #1 from the first series and get it signed by Marv Wolfman, along with the Marvel Legends Nova figure that he was shocked to see existed.

JyrenB on
    osasbutton.png
    XBL: JyrenB ; Steam: Jyren ; Twitter
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Alos, Ozzy says he knows who the Sentry really is, hopefully we'll find that out, because the whole Angel of Death thing hasn't been explained yet.

I'm sure that's going to be the big reveal that redeems the Sentry to the heroes when all is said and done. No way would Bendis set something like that up without a major payoff.

Hensler on
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Maticore wrote: »

Yes, but considering how often costumes come off, or even just how often armoured guys open their masks, you think he wouldn't risk it. Has Norman EVER gone out in his armour and not opened the mask?

It's like calling a press conference, wearing your Nazi underwear to that conference, while you know how often you get your pants pulled down, and you've never worn those Nazi briefs before.

Sharp101 on
    edited March 2010
    JyrenB wrote: »
    Siege 3 was definitely great, but my moment of the week was at Megacon in Orlando over the weekend. Managed to track down Nova #1 from the first series and get it signed by Marv Wolfman, along with the Marvel Legends Nova figure that he was shocked to see existed.

Hey now that is pretty cool. I'm impressed.
    Hensler wrote: »

I'm sure that's going to be the big reveal that redeems the Sentry to the heroes when all is said and done. No way would Bendis set something like that up without a major payoff.

I'm certainly hoping so.

Solar on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010

Yes, but considering how often costumes come off, or even just how often armoured guys open their masks, you think he wouldn't risk it. Has Norman EVER gone out in his armour and not opened the mask?

It's like calling a press conference, wearing your Nazi underwear to that conference, while you know how often you get your pants pulled down, and you've never worn those Nazi briefs before.

Im pretty sure hes opened his mask just since this battle began.

DarkWarrior on
  • RansRans Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    my MOTW is GLC #46 simply because of Patrick Gleason

the dude is just crazy awesome

Rans on
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You win, sir.

I'm thinking I might have to get out the scanner. I might need a mo-hawk storm avatar pic.

desc on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    GLC was rocking on all fronts (the fridge thing was a bit overblown), but it has the coolest idea for a construct yet, aka boom head-shot:

glc46a.jpg

glc46b.jpg

glc46c.jpg

glc46d.jpg

glc46e.jpg

TexiKen on
    edited March 2010
    That is one of the coolest fucking things that has ever happened in a comic book. Holy Shit.

Solar on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    That. Is fantastic.

Wildcat on
  • RansRans Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I didn't get the BN Titans mini-series and now Dove is getting a lot of page time. Feels like she just comes out of nowhere in my Blackest Night issues with no explanation. Should I include the Titans issues in my BN reading order? Do they feel more important now that Dove is doing stuff?

Rans on
    edited March 2010
    no, what is explained on that page is basically all you need to know about Dove right now (we should hopefully get an explanation in BN#8)

TexiKen on
    edited March 2010
    Doomwar #2, still as good as the first, better than Siege #3, because Doom knows how to mess with a marriage:

Doom is one door away from getting to the vibranium vault, but this lock appears:

dw2a.jpg

dw2b.jpg

dw2c.jpg

dw2d.jpg

dw2e.jpg

See, he got it already, he just wanted T'Challa to screw over his wife like he did by not releasing the lock.

TexiKen on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Uh, I don't think he was wearing facepaint. I think the idea is that that's his face. Notice that his eyes and teeth are quite yellow and the green appears to be spreading. There's even one panel where you see the purple of the shroud start to come out on his forehead.

I know that this would be a new thing for the Goblin but it could possibly be something Loki did to him. I think the idea is that Osbourne getting beat caused the Goblin to come out of him.

SatanIsMyMotor on
    edited March 2010
    And Avenger vs. Atlas 3, a nice little funny backup by Cornell and Kirk where Venus answers some love/relationship letters from those in the Marvel Universe:

ava3a.jpg

ava3b.jpg

ava3c.jpg

Oh Clint

TexiKen on
    edited March 2010
    Perhaps Clint wanted the skrull to be Captain America so they could "share" Mockingbird and be true bros. That boy has a dirty mind.

Solar on
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    GLC was rocking on all fronts (the fridge thing was a bit overblown), but it has the coolest idea for a construct yet, aka boom head-shot:

glc46a.jpg

glc46b.jpg

glc46c.jpg

glc46d.jpg

glc46e.jpg

Oh WOW.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    This is what I was waiting for. Cosmic Donald Trump baby!
    Image5.jpg?t=1268870448Image6.jpg?t=1268870476

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    GLC 46

Boom, headshot

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
    edited March 2010
    Don't steal my line Fiaryn

TexiKen on
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Don't steal my line Fiaryn

I'm not so much stealing your line as

Well ask yourself this. Is there any other line that could possibly sum up GLC 46 and how great it was?

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    rail skillz

desc on
    edited March 2010
    Squeaky wheel gets the Gleason?

Panzer Dragoon Oa?

But yeah I agree there's no other words to describe how cool GLC #46 was.

TexiKen on
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Uh, I don't think he was wearing facepaint. I think the idea is that that's his face. Notice that his eyes and teeth are quite yellow and the green appears to be spreading. There's even one panel where you see the purple of the shroud start to come out on his forehead.

I know that this would be a new thing for the Goblin but it could possibly be something Loki did to him. I think the idea is that Osbourne getting beat caused the Goblin to come out of him.

It's facepaint. The "teeth" are over his lips. You can see his actual teeth in several shots. Paint stops around his forehead and you can see skin tone, too. The eyes are just them playing it up some more.

KVW on
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Doomwar #2, still as good as the first, better than Siege #3, because Doom knows how to mess with a marriage:

Doom is one door away from getting to the vibranium vault, but this lock appears:

dw2a.jpg

dw2b.jpg

dw2c.jpg

dw2d.jpg

dw2e.jpg

See, he got it already, he just wanted T'Challa to screw over his wife like he did by not releasing the lock.

I <3 Doom

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg