As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Justified; check your pistols at the door.

13»

• FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hobnail wrote: »
    The writers used current cuss words instead of hilarious old timey cuss words because nobody would watch a show where everybody is Yoemite Sam

betrayal of the source material!

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    yes yes yes okay i get it

there's a snake in my boot

Somebody's poisoned the waterhole!

Grey Ghost on
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    A time when cussing could make a man blush, but that same man would probably not sleep badly after wasting you for cussing

Hobnail on
    Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Smaug6 wrote: »
    As a sidebar, has there ever been an intelligent thought expressed with the word "meh" used as an adjective?

I would posit that, no, there has not.

Meh to me means, ordinary, run of the mill, mediocre. The characters are uninspiring and seem pretty 2-dimensional. Main character honorable bad ass who happens to have been good friends with crazed antagonist. Rampant lawlessness because you know, Kentucky is a third world territory of the United States. From a pure pulp standpoint it might have some redeeming value, but thats about it.

In other words, the show has nothing compelling about it to me.

Urban dictionary might define it differently.

I did not question its definition. Merely, rhetorically, asked if I'd ever seen it used an anything approaching a worthwhile sentence.

I have not.

I also feel like your description is unfairly reductive. For one, the lead character is far from honorable. In his mind, yes. But in his mind, he's also not an "angry man." The show seems to be establishing pretty clearly that the rest of the world doesn't see him as he sees himself - that's always fascinating territory for a TV show. For two, the "rampant lawlessness" is not because it's Kentucky - it's because the law enforcement agencies are underfunded and outnumbered. The Wire explored this theme as it applies to an urban setting. This show seems ready to explore it in a rural setting. Again, that's intriguing to me. I'm also curious how the fuck you define "run of the mill" characters - the lead romantic interest is a chipper, unrepentant murder suspect. Hell, the "crazed" antagonist possesses a level of insight that seems to elude even the lead. There's room for all the characters to be fleshed out, of course, but for a pilot? I've not seen characters this initially arresting since the pilot for Breaking Bad.

The dialogue is top-notch, the performances are killer, the cinematography is goddamn gorgeous (In that southern gothic, David Gordon Green kind of way).

Saying this is almost as cliche and lame as saying "meh," but if you didn't find anything about Justified compelling, maybe you weren't paying close enough attention.

Poorochondriac on
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yep, you pretty much summed up why this show is getting off to a good start.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hell yeah, Pooro. I couldn't have said it better myself.

For a pilot episode, this show blows away everything else I've seen.

When I look at the pilot of Mad Men (one of my favs) it just seems so corny in comparison to the rest of the series. Justified has a pilot that doesn't seem like the cast, crew and writing are still getting used to everything. It feels like this show has been running for a couple of seasons already.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • risumonrisumon Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Just watched the first episode. Couldn't place where I knew the main guy from. Imdb informed me he was the drug dealer in Go, so that is cool.

Cowboy in redneck smokey mountain country.

Mulleted neo-nazi with suspenders.

"Git er dun"

Ending with a song by Miike Snow.

I think I am going to have to keep up with this show. Definitely entertaining. They only problem I have is I had an ex with the name of Raelyn which ended very badly, and the main character is Raylen, so that is kind of weird.

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Timothy Olyphant is dreamy.

When I first showed Vivienne Deadwood I explained to her that he was mine.

Blake T on
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Timothy Olyphant was the best part of Hitman.

Seg on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited March 2010
    aw yeah this is on again

Unknown User on
  • BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Daaaaanger zone.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited March 2010
    ah fuck, I forgot about this

DJ Eebs on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    this show is great

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The milieus featured in this makes me wish I had patience for the l4d2 map editor.

Panda4You on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    hahaha what an opening

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited March 2010
    Travis Travers

Unknown User on