As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[APB] All Points Bulletin, I'm gettin' too old for this sh*t...

• MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I wouldn't mind in game advertising as long as it was related to the game. Like In AO it feels out of place seeing an ad for the marines in a scifi game, but in APB it wouldn't be all that odd to see like mountain dew billboards, or certain car company buildings showing off vehicles, or certain clothing logos that you could put on and move around a bit.

I don't know how I'd feel about loading screen ads that took longer than load times.

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • Meta T. DustMeta T. Dust Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    What has loading screen ads?

But in-game ads would hells of work cause well, yeah if anything that is just a part of it.

I mean they got fake billboards and stuff don't they, why have fake ads up not getting you money.

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • MifioMifio MrrlendRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Peewi wrote: »
    Scooter wrote: »
    MrVyngaard wrote: »
    Avynte wrote: »
    I would be really happy if this game ended up taking a payment direction similar to guild wars.

If you mean no monthly fee and just expansions over time? Yes, I would be very happy with that.

I think it's the only thing that makes sense. If they went for microtransactions for game items I think it'd quickly dip into 'only rich players can win' situations.

That could be avoided by having all paid items only be cosmetic. I think that might work since creating your look is a big part of the game.

I can honestly say that if the game limits customization, or forces you to buy guns to win, I'm not playing it.
    Period, end of story, half of the game is the customization, I do NOT want that limited. The other half is gunplay, I don't want THAT limited either.

I'd much rather have a guild wars expansion thing. Look how well Guild wars is doing as a result. It has a shit ton of players, and a strong community. Or in game advertising, assuming that it isn't pop ups. If its things like Coca Cola on billboards, video game posters on alley walls. Its fine, I'd be happy with that. Hell, I'd be happy with maybe a 10-15$ recurring charge. But micro transactions are stupid and fucking annoying, and I hate them, more then almost anything in the gaming world.

Mifio on
    steam_sig.png
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    What has loading screen ads?

But in-game ads would hells of work cause well, yeah if anything that is just a part of it.

I mean they got fake billboards and stuff don't they, why have fake ads up not getting you money.

There were a few single player games released for free for a short time a while back, with load ads from McDonalds.

Edit: Some companies are nervous about selling in-game advertising because it might give the advertisers the impression that they can pressure for some sort of creative control over the game. Often the income's not worth it.

Scooter on
    edited March 2010
    Well I think they would get to determine what their ad looks like, maybe they just want a buncha titties up their, what man can deny another a buncha titties.

Also if companies wanted to give away logo'd clothing in-game or like a burger king truck or something, that would be pretty rad.

I would love some mcdonalds clothes so I can RP being a mcdonalds employee that went rogue.

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
    edited March 2010
    Nah, usually the worry is something more like 'So we've dumped $kentucky into this game, and it's been good, but on second thought...does this game really need all this violence? And speeding...oh what's that, you don't want $kentucky?'

Scooter on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Nah, usually the worry is something more like 'So we've dumped $kentucky into this game, and it's been good, but on second thought...does this game really need all this violence? And speeding...oh what's that, you don't want $kentucky?'

This. On the clothing ads, for instance, Nike might say that they're uncomfortable with any blood showing up on any in-game clothing sporting their logo. They'd then demand that blood textures not appear on any characters wearing the Nike brand, even if normally a character shows gunshot wounds when shot or something.

And it only goes downhill from there.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
    edited March 2010
    Eh, well, if they just stick with billboards and posters, maybe 'commercials' on the radio. It'd be fine.

Mifio on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2010
    Well once they have the check, they can shove it cause thats how transactions work.

Also I don't think you show battle fatigue so that wouldn't be a problem.

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
    edited March 2010
    I guess there was an interview somewhere where they also said they weren't doing microtransactions?

Still not saying what, but I can't think of anything else but expansions.

Scooter on
    edited March 2010
    I assume even though I'm not in beta, but maybe I can see beta related stuff I'm still not allowed to really talk about it though right?

back to ad's during loading screens didn't dungeon runners have like small video ads between loading screens sometimes if you didn't pay?

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    That would be a correct assumption.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
    edited March 2010
    This makes me sad, but I will obey.

MoSiAc on
    edited March 2010
    Want to play APB? Register your interest in the BETA as we'll be sending out more invites very soon! http://bit.ly/Trn5t

This was yesterday

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
    edited March 2010
    well I signed up yesterday regardless of that twitter cause I dont remember ever signing up in the first place.

So heres to hoping.

They aren't still hoarding for their fansites are they?

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
    edited March 2010
    Just tried resigning up, my emails in the database. Awesome. Cool. Grand. This proves I WAS an idiot and never signed up for the beta prior to this. Fuuuu-
    So, hopefully this new batch of invites touches my e-door.

Mifio on
    steam_sig.png
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    Want to play APB? Register your interest in the BETA as we'll be sending out more invites very soon! http://bit.ly/Trn5t

This was yesterday

very soon being today apparently.

Morkath on
    edited March 2010
    If anyone new gets in, Helen, MrVyngaard, Ash, Elika and Ciro are people who can clan invite.

Scooter on
    edited March 2010
    Yay. Another round of invites.
    *Checks inbox*
    Fffffuuuuuuu-

Mifio on
    steam_sig.png
  • HullabalooHullabaloo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    New Q & A up on apb evolved: http://apb-evolved.com/

Nothing major answered, but one thing that should excite us betaless people is that apparently they are sending new beta invites out each week(!).

So keen to get in on this beta.

Hullabaloo on
    Xbox ID: Oggie Rock
    edited March 2010
    APBEvolved wrote:
    We’ll be expanding APB both horizontally and vertically. Naturally, we’ll release new content for the current game (such as new clothing, weapons, missions, etc), but we’re listening to the players a lot, to see where they want to take APB. If the players want a zombie district, we’ll create a zombie district.
    FUCK YEAH. ZOMBIES.

Mifio on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2010
    Xcom district

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Can someone be an absolute darling and send me banners.upk (not any other filename with banners in - just banners)?

I have tried to install this three times now and it's always the same problem. This time it struck with an achingly close 96 megs to go, though.

Halp.

Also, tell me where to install the file.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • RisenPhoenixRisenPhoenix SUPER HOTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Flippy_D wrote: »
    Can someone be an absolute darling and send me banners.upk (not any other filename with banners in - just banners)?

I have tried to install this three times now and it's always the same problem. This time it struck with an achingly close 96 megs to go, though.

Halp.

Should nobody else respond in time, I'll be home in 2 hours and will have it good to go then.

RisenPhoenix on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Flippy_D wrote: »

Halp.

I've sent you a PM.

Peewi on
    edited March 2010
    I <3 Peewi.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Played a session with Zoidberg and Peewi just now

it was awesome

Senshi on
  • John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Senshi wrote: »
    Played a session with Zoidberg and Peewi just now

it was awesome

This man speaks the truth.

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
    edited March 2010
    You guys on Crim or Enforcer side?

Edit: Oh wait, was this that silly EU thing

Scooter on
  • John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You guys on Crim or Enforcer side?

Edit: Oh wait, was this that silly EU thing

Yup. 2 measly hours. Still a testament to the fun that could be squeezed from such a limited time.

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
    edited March 2010
    My game is working now - as in, installed - but crashes as soon as it starts up. Then I need to reboot.

Laaaame.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    We had an absolute blast, though. Two hours of awesome (minus the tutorial which was a chore).

Enforcers, of course. My character seems to be the lovechild of Harold (from Harold and Kumar) and Jason Bourne in terms of looks (like it's almost creepy). Not sure how specific we can be due to the NDA but the game definitely has potential--though there are a lot of kinks to iron out.

Senshi on
  • SygnonSygnon Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Man Krunk, I just had to say you are a saint for talking in such a slow and understandable manner to the gigantic morons on the board there.

Sygnon on
    b0b11710e1ddcbfc1958f52a53cb7566.png
    edited March 2010
    Well, thanks.

I'm just glad that the one change that I honestly believe will improve this game is gaining some traction with other testers there.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
    edited March 2010
    If any of you guys are going to PAX East, Realtime Worlds is going to be showing the current beta build there.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
    edited March 2010
    New podcast up (that was fast)

Not sure how i feel about about everyone being able to hear what you can say over the mic. I can really see some annoying people abusing it, but I'm sure there is a mute system in place so whatever.

Hullabaloo on
    edited March 2010
    Updated OP with the new podcast. I feel the same apprehension, however, if the mute system is extremely easy to use, or, better yet, you can turn off the VOIP. Either are fine with me. Hell. I like vent much better anyway.

Mifio on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2010
    Mifio wrote: »
    Updated OP with the new podcast. I feel the same apprehension, however, if the mute system is extremely easy to use, or, better yet, you can turn off the VOIP. Either are fine with me. Hell. I like vent much better anyway.

Yeah, I think most people will be sticking to vent.

I am however warming up to the idea of being able to yell "It's just been revoked" to anyone I kill.

Hullabaloo on
    edited March 2010
    Only good thing that could come from constant VOIP, some splinter cell did something similar where if you wanted to talk to your teammate, if you talked too loudly how loud you were would project in a radius and others could hear you.

Not very sneaky when you are yelling behind a crate

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • RisenPhoenixRisenPhoenix SUPER HOTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Only good thing that could come from constant VOIP, some splinter cell did something similar where if you wanted to talk to your teammate, if you talked too loudly how loud you were would project in a radius and others could hear you.

Not very sneaky when you are yelling behind a crate

wDkln.jpg

Reminder: This iteration of the beta ends this coming Saturday the 27th.

RisenPhoenix on
This discussion has been closed.